• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

ZZMitch

What's the rule for Nether portals in multiplayer again? How far appart should they be placed so they don't lead to the same gate?

You can build them as close as you want if you build it in the nether first (?) I believe. Minsc showed me a while back how to do it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Last night I started work on my big project on our server I want to surprise my brother with. A replica (As best as you can get) of Bowser's Keep from Super Mario RPG.

Of course, in game there isn't much aside from a front view so I have to improvise. The main part is the humongous GIANT SWORD I will be building sticking out of it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh. I've just about had it with my host. I use TreePuncher, which is by Kerplunk Gaming, to host my family server for me, my brother, his friend and some random girl who pops in and out occasionally
because we use the same IP as a server she used to use which makes no sense since she's not playing for her friends so she can just play a single player world and get the same exact experience, but I digress...
because it was cheap. $5 a month for up to 5 people and a vanilla server. It worked out fine at the start, but lately, especially tonight it's being a real bitch.

I was building and realized I needed more Spruce so I dropped down off my castle wall, ran to my store room, discovered I was out of Spruce and ran out to my Spruce farm and chopped half of it down before I got stuck on a "ghost block" and logged out and back in to fix it only to find myself back up on the castle wall where I had been 5-10 minutes before. As soon as the chunks around me loaded I realized the trees I had chopped down were gone. But the materials, over a stack of Spruce logs and half a stack of saplings, were NOT in my inventory. The chunks had been saved, but my player data file had not! So I went back down and chopped some more down and logged off and back on to test. Once again, back up on the wall, all the trees were gone. And this time even more was missing from my inventory.

So now the server has gone down and won't come back up at all. I've emailed support and hope to get it back up so I can get back to building my castle.

If I have to leave them behind, I will be downloading my world and taking it elsewhere. Anyone have suggestions for other hosts? I only need a vanilla server for no more than 5 people or so. (Mainly 3 people until we find more) so I don't need any mods or anything. I just want one that's reliable. TreePuncher promises 99.9% uptime, but I have not seen evidence of that being true at all.

Something I'm pondering about building full scale on NeoCraft:

MY77o.jpg

(If you recognize it, I like you)

@Abed, sorry, I've never looked into hosting. I think we use Multiplay... Whatever we use, I think it's been pretty dang awesome. I don't recall the last time the server's been down.

Myst!

That would be amazing, dude. I would definitely have to check that out. You just inspired me to get back into Minecraft.

Heck yeah! :D
A friend built it on the old map, but I can't get the map file running and neither of us saved pictures, so I'd have to re-do it all, haha!

And welcome back! Be sure to play with upside down stairs! sogood.gif

microtubule

Snapshot 12w38a released at Mojang.com

Still working towards the Pretty Scary Update. We’re reaching the end of the number of features we want, and will from now on start focusing on polishing up a 1.4 release. Here’s the 12w38a changelog:

Updated and added new sounds by C418
Added a neutral mob
Added a hostile mob (doesn’t spawn yet)
Command block target parameters have been upgraded, check here for details: https://gist.github.com/3736487
Beacon artwork has changed
Wood trunk blocks are now rotated differently. Instead of using the player’s position, it will rotate based on the face it is placed upon. This is mainly a test, so feedback is welcomed, but for me personally this way is a bit easier.

MY77o.jpg

@Abed, sorry, I've never looked into hosting. I think we use Multiplay... Whatever we use, I think it's been pretty dang awesome. I don't recall the last time the server's been down.

BUILD IT! BUILD IT!

Edit: I recognize it.

MY77o.jpg

At first when I saw the picture my immediate thought was Seyda Neen, but now I see what it's supposed to be. I remember being super young and getting fed up with this game and just looking up how to get the best ending (since you never have to leave the initial place to do it).

HEY, SPEAKING OF SEYDA NEEN, LETS DO A COMPLETE TO-SCALE RECREATION OF VVARDENFELL! YEAH!

microtubule

Poor C418, folks on reddit.com complaining about the new/updated sounds. I don't have a problem with any of them but will take getting used to like anything else.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My server is still down. I am so bummed. They said "your node is having some issues and should be fixed momentarily". That was 12 hours ago. Plus the file manager for my server has never been enabled for me, but support keeps assuming that it is. (Showing me a video of how to access my files that shows a user with a file manager that I CAN'T EVEN ACCESS FOR SOME GOD FORSAKEN REASON.) They haven't even gotten back to me on that.

If it's just problems with the New Jersey server, I should be allowed to move the location at will. Put my files in Illinois if you have to. Just let me play the damn game!

I was better off when I was able to just host the server myself from home. And I can't even do that now because I can't download my world.

microtubule

Okay, that's very promising. If they are finally putting ambiance mobs in, then hopefully birds can't be far behind. The birds mod is like the one mod I most wish was in the game, it adds so much atmosphere to daytime.

Spelunking is about to get better, hell yeah!!!

I just saw one in a cave I was exploring...really well done and not cheesy.

edit...
just mined from a tunnel into a dark ravine and a few bats randomly flew over the screen. At first I freaked but then it was like finding diamond ore the first time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah. If done well enough, we need more ambient mobs. Birds have been on my wishlist forever. I want to look up in the sky and see some flying overhead, or hopping on the ground. Something else to feed our numerous wheat seeds to. Let them eat seed items themselves. I have two whole double-chests full. I can spare them.

MY77o.jpg

I'm gonna go ahead and say myst?

I'd love to see a greater variety of flower types, the ability to dye stone and wood planks, rotatable pistons for windmills, and the ability to create rail free locomotive transportation. Does anyone here think that any of these are a distinct possility? LittleBigPlanet doesn't hold a candle to Minecraft's creative potential, but they allow the player to create clever transportation methods.

Vlad

I'd love to see a greater variety of flower types, the ability to dye stone and wood planks, rotatable pistons for windmills, and the ability to create rail free locomotive transportation. Does anyone here think that any of these are a distinct possility? LittleBigPlanet doesn't hold a candle to Minecraft's creative potential, but they allow the player to create clever transportation methods.

As far as flowers go, I just want a more reliable way to get large amounts of a single flower than just tossing bone meal around and hoping for the best.

A lot of the other stuff has been accomplished via mods, so if they do manage to achieve their goal of a mod API that will allow a server to install a mod and have it push down to players automatically, then I imagine you'll be seeing a lot more of that stuff online.

I do agree that vanilla Minecraft is still a bit short on possibilities for mechanical stuff. I loved messing around with pistons when they first came out, but that only gets you so far.

I do agree that vanilla Minecraft is still a bit short on possibilities for mechanical stuff. I loved messing around with pistons when they first came out, but that only gets you so far.

So do you suppose Tekkit's innovations will force the Minecraft developers to add similar features found on the mod? Ms. Pac-Man started out that way too when mods created their own derivative from the Pac-Man motherboard. It's cool that you can dye wool, but dyed wool looks like crap as an architectural resource.

What started off as dicking around, turned into something (I think is) great!

Updates to the Harvester:

ibrxzaBxf5SFjj.jpg

Thanks Minsc for the flower bed idea! Fun jumping on the switch for it haha

Oh, and, you access the mushrooms from the wheat tier steps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I have to leave them behind, I will be downloading my world and taking it elsewhere. Anyone have suggestions for other hosts? I only need a vanilla server for no more than 5 people or so. (Mainly 3 people until we find more) so I don't need any mods or anything. I just want one that's reliable. TreePuncher promises 99.9% uptime, but I have not seen evidence of that being true at all.

why not just run it from your home? A 3-5 person server doesn't need a lot. We run ours from our mac mini and its fine, runs a tekkit server with mcmyadmin

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I use trip wires elevated at the third block above the ground to open iron doors. I use them as mob-proof doors that don't require me to push a button. All I have to do is jump as I get to the door and after a small delay (Since the door only stays open as long as the wire was tripped) it opens and closes right up keeping both enemies and villagers from wandering into or out of my safe zone.

I came up with it after getting fed up with tiny little almost invisible buttons with itty bitty hit boxes and the small amount of time the door actually stayed open before you had to try again because you missed your chance.

Thankfully mob AI consists of smarter thinking instead of their old "jump around everywhere and wander randomly" AI they used to have. Thanks to their "no jump" policy this method works well.

I'll have to make a video of the method I use and different variations sometime.

SJRB

Gold Member
I got a new PC a couple of months ago and I just re-installed Minecraft to finally see its full potential [aways had to play with "very close" fog distance and super light GPU settings].

But the client is incredibly unstable - I've been playing for less than 5 minutes and it has already crashed three times. Also getting massive [like 2fps] frame drops.

I'm guessing this is a Java 64-bit thing, isn't it?

I got a new PC a couple of months ago and I just re-installed Minecraft to finally see its full potential [aways had to play with "very close" fog distance and super light GPU settings].

But the client is incredibly unstable - I've been playing for less than 5 minutes and it has already crashed three times. Also getting massive [like 2fps] frame drops.

I'm guessing this is a Java 64-bit thing, isn't it?

Try and install the mod Optifine that improves things no end. When I first played minecraft the thing crashed every five minutes, I fixed it by allocating more memory to Java. You can download optifine here

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-132-optifine-hd-b3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/

I believe optifine already increases the ram Java uses as well so it is two birds with one stone.

Soooo, how much have we bloated the map since the cull (folder size)?

The latest backup is around 686mbs (962mbs uncompressed) which isn't too bad, The map was always going to increase in size after all building and exploring is what minecraft is about.

Oh and just cos I am bored here is a new render of Neolantis :-

NHm5Cl.jpg

spuit*11

Banned
The latest backup is around 686mbs (962mbs uncompressed) which isn't too bad, The map was always going to increase in size after all building and exploring is what minecraft is about.

Oh and just cos I am bored here is a new render of Neolantis :-

http://i.imgur.com/NHm5Cl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I just claimed one of the domes in Neolantis, there are still 3 of them available. Plus the open platforms outside.

SJRB

Gold Member
Try and install the mod Optifine that improves things no end. When I first played minecraft the thing crashed every five minutes, I fixed it by allocating more memory to Java. You can download optifine here

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-132-optifine-hd-b3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/

I believe optifine already increases the ram Java uses as well so it is two birds with one stone.

Thank you very much for this, performance increased dramatically. Also started a new world, just to be sure. Runs smooth as butter.

Now to look for some decent texture packs. Anyone know a somewhat "realistic" texture pack?

I just claimed one of the domes in Neolantis, there are still 3 of them available. Plus the open platforms outside.

Feel free, now with the grass ring done I am concentrating on filling the towers up with stuff so having people take over the domes is appreciated :-D

Thank you very much for this, performance increased dramatically. Also started a new world, just to be sure. Runs smooth as butter.

Now to look for some decent texture packs. Anyone know a somewhat "realistic" texture pack?

Glad you got things sorted. I will say that Minecraft can be a total bitch to get working properly but once it does work it will go for hours on end without so much as farting the wrong way. If you get the time feel free to pop onto the Neocraft server, we are all friendly peeps and love new people joining up. You can find the server details on the first page of this topic (just quote the third post).

As for textures as well as Misa's there is LB Photorealism I personally find photorealistic texture packs a tad bit too dark for my tastes.

Top Bottom