• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, but it looks really ugly when you don't want it to. I'd rather get rid of the ugly dark shadowy problems and lose the lighting tricks personally. It's a tradeoff. But if you want the game to be bug-free you gotta accept that some of the bugs are going to be exploits that people have grown to love. We've lost a lot of exploits in the past. This is just another.

microtubule

Nice surprise, thought there wasn't going to be a snapshot this week!

Minecraft Snapshot 12w39a

Please note that the smooth lightning is a bit borken on stairs/slabs. But we are working on it!

So here is the 12w39a changelog:

Lighting system overhauled.
Lots of blocks interact correctly with lighting now (stairs, slabs)
Few sound tweaks
Fixed witch being white for some
SPOILER
More bugfixes & slight tweaks!

Morning after edit:
Looks like there is a possibility of another snapshot today

Dinnerbone twitter update
If I manage to make a dent in the nether loading before lunch, we'll probably do a 'b' snapshot for misc bugs that you guys have caught!

LOL and it's out now:
"b" snapshot revision

Darias

It's tough, but so much more deeply rewarding than vanilla.

I run an in-house server for my me and my GF to play on, and we just started a fresh world that is RICH with hickory, chestnut, ash, pine, sequoia, as well as healthy areas of copper and Sphalerite (Tin) ore.

We've located stocks of Clay and Gravel. She's set up the beginnings of a sluice network with 5x running sluices, as well as a fishing pond. I have a charcoal heap cooking, and am smelting ore for tin ingots. We have a shelter with stacked wood outside, food and a cook fire inside, and tools hanging on the wall.

Next steps are going to be finding the right extrusive stone to make an anvil, and then set up a bloomery. After the bloomery I can begin work on metallurgy, get some alloys made, and have decent materials for expanding mining operations.

She will be pursuing the agriculture and fishing expansions.

I am looking into a proper server host.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it just me, or is nikolite absolutely useless? When I'm mining I get all excited because I see a flash of blue, then realise its not diamond, just nikolite. And there is so much of the stuff. It's filling my chests and I can't work out what it's useful for.

Is it just me, or is nikolite absolutely useless? When I'm mining I get all excited because I see a flash of blue, then realise its not diamond, just nikolite. And there is so much of the stuff. It's filling my chests and I can't work out what it's useful for.

Is this the stuff you're talking about? Never used the Technic Pack myself just trying to be helpful. :)

http://mctechnicpack.wikia.com/wiki/Nikolite

If so there's a link to some crafting recipes on the page.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My son wanted this so I thought it was $10 and said ok. It's $26? Is my memory bad or did they raise the price?

-Minsc-

My son wanted this so I thought it was $10 and said ok. It's $26? Is my memory bad or did they raise the price?

It may have been $10 way back in the Alpha then during the beta it went up to something like $20. Basically the game was sold at a discount before it version 1.0 was released. I believe it was always mentioned the price was going up to $26 when the game had its official release.

Vlad

Yeah, technic pack. We use tekkit on our family multiplayer server so we are in a fairly old minecraft version.

Don't really used redpower though so not much use for nekolite

Nikolite is absolutely essential for using Redpower's blulectric stuff. Any solar panels, motors, batteries, etc will need a fair amount of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
$26 is nothing. YOur son would get so much use out of this thing.

its fantastic for kids. But the real joy is getting two licenses and playing with him on a multiplayer server. I think the latest client auto creates a server so no complex setup, you just join him on his single player game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
its fantastic for kids. But the real joy is getting two licenses and playing with him on a multiplayer server. I think the latest client auto creates a server so no complex setup, you just join him on his single player game.
Yeah, you don't even need a server anymore for two or more people in the same house. Just have a world on one of the computers and open it to LAN and the other person can join right in whenever. It's really nice. Would be perfect for father and son. Definitely.

Too bad they're not doing the deal they did a couple years ago on Valentines day with the 2-for-1 deal.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
"destroying blocks under you with Efficiency"

Does that mean what I think it means? No more getting stuck on ghost blocks and having to log out and back in to make them appear so you can destroy them?

If so, ABOUT GOSHDARN TIME!

Ranger X

Man, whatever it takes they should fix that black spots problem soon. Seriously, its starting to go against my enjoyment of the game. :(

Nikolite is absolutely essential for using Redpower's blulectric stuff. Any solar panels, motors, batteries, etc will need a fair amount of it.

When can we expect to see Mojang officially implement tekkit features into the official game like pistons were?

defel

When can we expect to see Mojang officially implement tekkit features into the official game like pistons were?

I gave tekkit a pretty good go but one of the main problems with it was that it was just too complicated. Part of what's so great about MC is its simplicity

Vlad

I gave tekkit a pretty good go but one of the main problems with it was that it was just too complicated. Part of what's so great about MC is its simplicity

Exactly. It's great as a base game for other stuff, but including that much in the vanilla game would be way too much, especially considering all the new ores and other world-generated materials the different mods add. Redpower alone adds at least four new ores that I can think of off the top of my head, and that's just one of the mods that (I'm assuming) is in Tekkit.

... Actually, after just taking a peek at the Tekkit wiki, I completely agree that that's WAY too much to just toss into the vanilla game. I applaud the effort in consolidating that gigantic pile of mods (and would even like to play on a server with it, without Not Enough Items, of course), but that would really make "vanilla" Minecraft way too crowded.

You know I love minecraft and I could not think any higher of Jeb and Dinnerbone. However it's shit like this that makes me want to hit them both with a wet fish :-

Jeb said:
For consistency, doors, trapdoors, levers and buttons will no longer be triggerable with left mouse button :eek:

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/253401139637256192

That is going to do nothing but frustrate players and it adds absolutely nothing to the damn game. You can't do basic control changes like that when your customer base has been playing the game for ages. If this was a beta then fair enough, but it isn't it is meant to be a fully released game and you shouldn't be pissing about with basic controls STILL.

Beckx

Hey all -

I've been running my own server, but my old imac just isn't up to the task. I'm at a loss on where to start looking for a good host, but saw that some people in this thread were using Multiplay to host.

Is that still a good third party host? Any issues that I should expect/watch out for? Looking at their site, it appears they only allow Survival servers, so it may not work at all for me (my kids & their friends are more interested in creative).

You know I love minecraft and I could not think any higher of Jeb and Dinnerbone. However it's shit like this that makes me want to hit them both with a wet fish :-

That is going to do nothing but frustrate players and it adds absolutely nothing to the damn game. You can't do basic control changes like that when your customer base has been playing the game for ages. If this was a beta then fair enough, but it isn't it is meant to be a fully released game and you shouldn't be pissing about with basic controls STILL.
Anyone who understands the basic mechanics of this game knows that right click interacts with objects and left click hits them. And for those who don't, it's not hard to just click the other button. It adds consistency and makes it 100x easier to break down doors, as well as levers/buttons without it activating your entire redstone contraption. Yes this should've been fixed in the alpha stage but it wasn't, it still needs to be fixed though.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

The reason why Technic/Tekkit appears so complicated is that it is actually made up of several 'Major Content' mods, which both compliment and fight against each other. The only thing Technic does is provide a front-end loader for these mods and eliminated the complicated install instructions that were needed when Technic was first made.

Any one of these 'Major content' mods, by themselves, would easily confuse the average vanilla MCer who hasn't been exposed to modding. Each mod introduces complex energy systems, item transportation ideas, new machines, new tools, ect. to the game. Frankly, trying to learn about these mods by using Technic is like trying to learn to swim by traversing the Pacific Ocean.

Frankly, none of these mods should really be included in Vanilla Minecraft. The only possible exception, in my opinion, is RedPower2. It's complicated, yes, but I believe it fits themeatically with Minecraft. Instead of, say, giving you a Tree Farm Machine block which magically tends to trees surrounding itself (Forestry Mod), RedPower2 requires you to build a complicated Rube Goldburg contraption out of logic gates, sand, and tubes that detects when a tree has grown and harvests it with a piston. (Youtube search Redpower Tree Farm) Much like the original Redstone system, Redpower exponentially expands what you can do in Minecraft by giving the tools you need to create the machines you want.

Ranger X

No, this is a good change. I was waiting for this since awhile (althought not my top annoyances). A door opening and closing while you break it is annoying and looks glitchy. This is GOOD cleaning from Dinnerbone there imo.

Vlad

The reason why Technic/Tekkit appears so complicated is that it is actually made up of several 'Major Content' mods, which both compliment and fight against each other. The only thing Technic does is provide a front-end loader for these mods and eliminated the complicated install instructions that were needed when Technic was first made.

Any one of these 'Major content' mods, by themselves, would easily confuse the average vanilla MCer who hasn't been exposed to modding. Each mod introduces complex energy systems, item transportation ideas, new machines, new tools, ect. to the game. Frankly, trying to learn about these mods by using Technic is like trying to learn to swim by traversing the Pacific Ocean.

Frankly, none of these mods should really be included in Vanilla Minecraft. The only possible exception, in my opinion, is RedPower2. It's complicated, yes, but I believe it fits themeatically with Minecraft. Instead of, say, giving you a Tree Farm Machine block which magically tends to trees surrounding itself (Forestry Mod), RedPower2 requires you to build a complicated Rube Goldburg contraption out of logic gates, sand, and tubes that detects when a tree has grown and harvests it with a piston. (Youtube search Redpower Tree Farm)

I haven't looked at any videos of that, but you could use redpower's "block breaker" blocks to harvest any trees easily, no pistons needed.

But yes, I completely agree that Redpower still fits into the "spirit" of Minecraft. Any productive device you want to make still takes work to gather the materials and the know-how to actually make the thing. Better Than Wolves (not included in Technic, I believe) is also another good one in that you can make some good stuff, but it's definitely not easy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree. I'd rather they consolidate it to only the right button so I don't have the option of using the left button and accidentally destroying the door, button, trap door, whatever with my high powered tools.

on the topic of tree farms everyone check out cubehamster's amazing automated tree farm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x1vgsSGJr8&feature=plcp

e3N3u.jpg

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
If I haven't played minecraft in about 6 months at least, should I just jump back in, or read up on some tutorials, etc?

The game hasn't changed fundamentally. Looking back at the last few versions, I'd almost say don't read up, so you can be surprised by some of the new additions. There's not really anything new that's essential to know; a few crafting recipes changed, that's about it. Everything else will be more fun to discover.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
I haven't looked at any videos of that, but you could use redpower's "block breaker" blocks to harvest any trees easily, no pistons needed.

But yes, I completely agree that Redpower still fits into the "spirit" of Minecraft. Any productive device you want to make still takes work to gather the materials and the know-how to actually make the thing. Better Than Wolves (not included in Technic, I believe) is also another good one in that you can make some good stuff, but it's definitely not easy.

Without getting too complex and off topic, the system I saw used just one block-breaker at the base of the tree, and a deployer and piston suspended 10 blocks above the ground. It checks every 10 seconds to see if the tree has grown with a redstone pulse (Which goes through the tree block, but not the sapling). After that, it pulses 10 ticks to the dispensor, which drops a block of sand on the trunk and pushes it down with the piston, and 20 ticks to the block-breaker, which eats the pushed down logs and sand. After that, the whole system resets and plants another sapling.

Both Better then Wolves and Forestry do not work with Technic. BTW is incompatible with Minecraft Forge, the API all of these mods use to prevent conflicts, and the author of Forestry allegedly wrote his mod to not play nicely with the Technic launcher because he was angry with the Technic guys including his mod against his wishes.

I myself don't use Technic. The latest versions of Minecraft Forge makes mod installation easy, and I can't have Equivalent Exchange installed without abusing it horribly. (Making a Diamond every 10 seconds, anyone?)

Edit: Now that I'm on an actual internet connection, here's a video of the tree farm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW8rQ6CbkhY

on the topic of tree farms everyone check out cubehamster's amazing automated tree farm

Now, imagine what this fellow could do with frames: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFzAlg6gA44

microtubule

If I haven't played minecraft in about 6 months at least, should I just jump back in, or read up on some tutorials, etc?

Yeah, just jump in. I am used to starting over so many times and I still really enjoy starting from spawn with nothing in a newly generated world.

Jeb and Dinnerbone have been busy:

mrklaw

MrArseFace

looks awesome, but a bugbear of mine is when informational videos like this use custom texturepacks, which makes it more difficult to follow what they're trying to illustrate

I like tekkit, but mostly only use industrialcraft (Induction furnace is awesome) and the transmutation tablet (Makes pumpkin and egg farms worth having because they're fairly high EMC)

microtubule

Minecraft Snapshot 12w40a has been released!

We’re now fully into the “prepare for release” mode, so we’ve almost only worked on bug fixing and performance.

We’ve decided to aim for October 24 for the full Pretty Scary Update.

Here’s this week’s changelog:

Minor terrain additions for the witch
SPOILER
Flatworld configuration now allows you to generate trees, strongholds etc
A number of new NBT tags for items (intended for custom map makers)
The pick block action now works on items
Pressing the 1-9 hotkeys while hovering over an item will put that item into the inventory bar
The left-click action will no longer open doors, pull levers, push buttons or open trapdoors. Use the right mouse button!
Firespread has been slightly nerfed again to prevent infinitely spreading fires
More bugfixes & tweaks!

Darn, might want to wait until tomorrow to try this one out!

stealth bug edit:

Top Bottom