• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
I still can't believe that the API has now, once again, been put on indefinite delay. Beyond frustrating.

Which is ironic, because the frequent updates will discourage mod authors from porting their mods to the latest version because of the hoops they have to jump through to port to the new version. With this 'frequent' update schedule, they'll already be out of date by the time they get their code published.

Then again, I'm not looking forward to the first implementation of the Bukkit API. Any first draft the Bukkit team writes will likely not be as robust as Forge as it currently stands, and either way you slice it, mods will have to be rewritten.

Mikor

Which is ironic, because the frequent updates will discourage mod authors from porting their mods to the latest version because of the hoops they have to jump through to port to the new version. With this 'frequent' update schedule, they'll already be out of date by the time they get their code published.

Then again, I'm not looking forward to the first implementation of the Bukkit API. Any first draft the Bukkit team writes will likely not be as robust as Forge as it currently stands, and either way you slice it, mods will have to be rewritten.

One of the stream dudes (Sat0n) told me that they're trying to implement Forge in some way into the vanilla code now? There were discussions in the Forge IRC about it some time ago, as I understand it.

Still, as we've discussed many times, even relying on a 3rd party launcher to run mods and plugins is too much to ask of the general userbase. Civil Wars could never properly work without a proper, vanilla API.

-Minsc-

Congrats to MilitantCactus!

I just pimped your nether road & portal.

I love wasting my time doing useless things, ha-ha!

:'(

First thing I thought when I saw ZZmitch's nether portal, "Pimp my Minecraft". I'll have to take a run along this road and see what you've done.

Ranger X

Wow, anvils look sweet! Now once you enchant that God Tier tool or weapon you can repair it and keep the enchants, and even rename them. I like that.

It's indeed awesome but still costing too many levels imo. The grinding needed for just keeping my weapons will be quite annoying. (unless I built and xp grinder that is)
Well, especially for renaming I mean damn, that should be like free lol.

It's indeed awesome but still costing too many levels imo. The grinding needed for just keeping my weapons will be quite annoying. (unless I built and xp grinder that is)
Well, especially for renaming I mean damn, that should be like free lol.

If they don't adjust it to be less costly, at least they've been adding ways of getting xp by just dicking around.

elyetis

I still can't believe that the API has now, once again, been put on indefinite delay. Beyond frustrating.
Really ? It's supposed to be a priority for like 2 years if not more, it already once got 'kind of fell between chairs'. To think it was supposed to be released -as the source code- with 1.70.....

I just don't get it. Last time it made me completly stop following the game devellopement/update till Notch announced he would stop working on it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Borderlands 2 is slaughtering my time for playing other games.

My vice lately has been World of Warcraft. The Mists of Pandaria expansion got me to play again for a bit. And surprisingly this is most fun I've had with WoW for years. FTL has taken up some of my time too. Though a few nights ago I logged into Minecraft to spelunk a bit, and then I ended up branch mining some too.

My gf isn't into gaming, but there are only a select few of my games that she loves to watch me play. Skyrim is one. Minecraft is another. She doesn't think I should slaughter my cows for food though. She thinks that's mean. However, this MInecrafter loves his leather and hamburgers, so...

Ark

TVHM is where the fun begins! DLC comes out tomorrow too, plus I'm playing through with a Commando and a Mechromancer :p

Hey Mengy sorry to be a nagging ninny but any chance you could update the map ? I have almost finished filling NeoAtlantis with crap and would love to see what it looks like on the map.

Mengy

Hey Mengy sorry to be a nagging ninny but any chance you could update the map ? I have almost finished filling NeoAtlantis with crap and would love to see what it looks like on the map.

I actually updated it this weekend but I forgot to set up dropbox to update the online files overnight. The online map should be updated by tomorrow morning.

Mikor

Really ? It's supposed to be a priority for like 2 years if not more, it already once got 'kind of fell between chairs'. To think it was supposed to be released -as the source code- with 1.70.....

I just don't get it. Last time it made me completly stop following the game devellopement/update till Notch announced he would stop working on it.

Yeah. It was due for 1.3, then pushed to 1.4, and now its been confirmed that it wont make 1.4, and no further dates/versions have been required. I've heard rumors that Forge may end up finding its way into the vanilla client through one way or another (Tahg has been in talks with LexManos), so that might end up being their solution.

elyetis

Yeah. It was due for 1.3, then pushed to 1.4, and now its been confirmed that it wont make 1.4, and no further dates/versions have been required. I've heard rumors that Forge may end up finding its way into the vanilla client through one way or another (Tahg has been in talks with LexManos), so that might end up being their solution.
I really don't like how we'r kept in the black about how the api dev is going. The last time it happenend it was month of nothing, then 'it won't be an API, i give you the source code', then more of nothing ( with some 'api was will be given to few people as a test with x version, then full release ), then fell between the chairs, then more of nothing ( even with people hired for that ).

Mikor

I really don't like how we'r kept in the black about how the api dev is going. The last time it happenend it was month of nothing, then 'it won't be an API, i give you the source code', then more of nothing ( with some 'api was will be given to few people as a test with x version, then full release ), then fell between the chairs, then more of nothing ( even with people hired for that ).

Yeah, it's even starting to look like the guys hired on to do the API are going to eventually take over vanilla development full time. Dinnerbone himself has been responsible for a very large amount of the changes and bugfixes presented in the game since his hiring.

elyetis

Dinnerbone himself has been responsible for a very large amount of the changes and bugfixes presented in the game since his hiring.
Yeah, that's one of the reason which make me think their not even in the production stage of the API, but still 'think' about how to implement it.

Bug fix and new content is really a good thing but seeing him and jeb entierly focus on the API even if it mean no new content for 2-4 month if needed, should really be done.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah it was mine as well. I think I can move on now and worry about True Vault Hunter mode later. I still have a castle to finish.

TF2 has been killing most of my gaming time recently. That Mann Vs Machine mode is really addicting.

I really need to get back to Minecraft someday. I think I'm like 2 updates behind so I have no idea what's even going on with it nowadays.

Mengy

Yeah, it's even starting to look like the guys hired on to do the API are going to eventually take over vanilla development full time. Dinnerbone himself has been responsible for a very large amount of the changes and bugfixes presented in the game since his hiring.

The way I understand it, the bukkit team is currently working on the mod API. From the beginning they wanted to merge the single player and multi player clients first (now complete) and do the mod API afterwards (currently being worked on). Dinnerbone however seems to be taking an active role in helping Jeb whittle down the to-do list. Which has been working out great for us so far.

Oh, Neocraft's online map is up to date now.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Server Files/index.html

Mikor

The way I understand it, the bukkit team is currently working on the mod API.

That was originally the plan when Bukkit was hired on, yes. The switchover to a dedicated client/server model even in SP was the groundwork for that. It's nice that Dinnerbone & Co. are working on that "to-do list" as you put it, but for (former) server admins and developers like myself, it doesn't inspire confidence.

Muchas gracias for that, Neolantis looks suitably full now :-D almost time for me to start looking for the location that will become the behemoth known as Dome City 2 or the Dome City to end all Dome Cities as it is known.

I'm back in town at my desktop and I'll be here for awhile so I'll have a lot of time to help build Dome City 2 as usual. :)

Mengy

Muchas gracias for that, Neolantis looks suitably full now :-D almost time for me to start looking for the location that will become the behemoth known as Dome City 2 or the Dome City to end all Dome Cities as it is known.

So there is going to be a Dome City 2? Maybe this time pick some other geometric shape, like Cube City, or Octagon City!

Actually Cube City sounds like a community project extremely fitting for a game like Minecraft...

TF2 has been killing most of my gaming time recently. That Mann Vs Machine mode is really addicting.

I really need to get back to Minecraft someday. I think I'm like 2 updates behind so I have no idea what's even going on with it nowadays.

2 updates? Update and jump back in on Neocraft! Still plenty of space.

Edit:
Checked the map and there is building up north, I am so happy to have neighbors.

I'm back in town at my desktop and I'll be here for awhile so I'll have a lot of time to help build Dome City 2 as usual. :)

You might regret offering to help ;-) I want DC 2 to be done in survival mode (yep even I am gonna forgo my mighty mod powers). The only "cheat" will be converting the stone brick to iron once it has been baked and laid.

Maybe this time pick some other geometric shape, like Cube City, or Octagon City!
Blasphemer, I damn ye to hell infidel. There is only one true Geometric shape and that is the roundness known as the dome (all hail the dome) any other Geometric shape is a false Geometric shape and anyone believing otherwise will be put to death by stoning with the ever wonderful dome stones.

But the reason I want to do DC 2 is because I want Pamela Anderson domes and not the flat Emma Watson pancake domes that DC 1 has.

You might regret offering to help ;-) I want DC 2 to be done in survival mode (yep even I am gonna forgo my mighty mod powers). The only "cheat" will be converting the stone brick to iron once it has been baked and laid.

Blasphemer, I damn ye to hell infidel. There is only one true Geometric shape and that is the roundness known as the dome (all hail the dome) any other Geometric shape is a false Geometric shape and anyone believing otherwise will be put to death by stoning with the ever wonderful dome stones.

But the reason I want to do DC 2 is because I want Pamela Anderson domes and not the flat Emma Watson pancake domes that DC 1 has.

I'm totally down with doing it in survival. That actually makes me more excited to do it. Guess I need to hope on and start digging up some cobble. :p

microtubule

Some API news:

Hey guys,

As part of our process of better involving the community in the design and development of the Minecraft API, I’ve been working on setting up a Minecraft Developer blog called “Minecraft: Into the Void”.

This blog will be used by the Minecraft team to share developer related articles and information. It will cover things like: extremely technical write-ups that break down new features we’ve added to Minecraft that developers or map makers might find useful. Or articles detailing the use of a new tool we’ve created for the community’s use.

It will also be the central location for me to post Minecraft API related topics, information and announcements so developers don’t have to check several different places for news. Basically, the Minecraft Developer blog will be our space to nerd out unashamedly, do and share what we love, and we are really excited about it.

http://dev.minecraft.net/blog/

Xun

Why not just completely update Dome City 1? :p

legacyzero

Banned
http://kotaku.com/5952232/far-cry-3-set-to-invade-minecraft

Get ready to face your insanity in Minecraft!

On October 26th we’re releasing a Minecraft inspired Far Cry 3 universe free for download on PC. The pack allows you to explore and survive the Minecraft experience through the warped lens of Far Cry 3, with modifications to all aspects of the original game, including environments, weapons and tools. Discover key Far Cry 3 locations and characters, including Vaas, Jason and Citra, all completely redesigned in Minecraft style. The map also features over 50 Easter Eggs, hidden throughout the Islands.

Wix

Came here to post this, lol. Here´s a screen.

35438_10151284535881663_579054448_n.jpg

edit: Didn´t know Gaf had MC servers. Is the creative one gone? Can´t see a link. Not a big fan of survival :/

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Came here to post this, lol. Here´s a screen.

(Lol Image)

edit: Didn´t know Gaf had MC servers. Is the creative one gone? Can´t see a link. Not a big fan of survival :/

You'll want to open up a Quote Reply for the Third Post on the thread. Contained inside in a hidden tag is the server address.

You'll be unable to interact with the world until you PM Ark with your Minecraft name for a whitelist inclusion.

Which reminds me, I need to check out the server again, but I'm stuck in SSP building up my IC2 and Forestry tech trees like there's no tomorrow.

microtubule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlYu_XHgFC4

Little bit of news about 12w42a, which fixes anvils.

Nice! Mojang is early this week.

Minecraft Snapshot 12w42a

Releasing an early snapshot this week because we need to crunch out the pre-release as soon as possible. This snapshot has the following changes:

Anvil block has been tweaked (it’s cheaper to create, minor visual changes, and you can repair tools using wood/ingots/diamonds)
Bats no longer trample crops or trigger pressure plates
Redstone repeaters can be “locked” (fixed output) by having a powered repeater connected to its left or right side
Added an option to hide a server’s IP address
Updated language files
More bugfixes & tweaks!

zashga

If anyone wants to build a winter house on Neocraft, I built an ice castle in a giant snow biome way west from Neolantis. The interior is all divided up into lots, so build whatever you want. I'm still working on the gates and lighting, so nighttime is still pretty dangerous there.

If anyone wants to build a winter house on Neocraft, I built an ice castle in a giant snow biome way west from Neolantis. The interior is all divided up into lots, so build whatever you want. I'm still working on the gates and lighting, so nighttime is still pretty dangerous there.

So you are the one building to the east of me. Keep heading west out of the snow biome and you will get to the extreme hills where my castle/fortress/kingdom is being constructed.

microtubule

heh that actually sounds interesting only because I've had my eye on FC3.

Minecraft Snapshot 12w42b (Preprerelease!)

Here’s the next snapshot, 12w42b! We are pushing these very rapidly now because we need to get ready for the 1.4 pre-release (which needs to be out before the official release on October 24). Since yesterday’s snapshot we’ve done…

Falling sand now properly “pops” when falling on non-solid blocks (such as torches)
The redstone repeater lock mechanism is now slightly more stable / predictable. It’s still not 100% as we want it, but fixing it completely will require bigger changes that we’ve planned for Minecraft 1.5.
Fixed tooltip width for renamed items
Added a number of sound events, but the sound effects are not added yet
Server ping will now tell if the server and client have mismatching protocol versions
Updated translation files

Top Bottom