• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Darias

Does anyone have much experience with Buildcraft or IC2? How are they? Enjoyable? Well constructed? Able to do things of mass complexity?

Vlad

Does anyone have much experience with Buildcraft or IC2? How are they? Enjoyable? Well constructed? Able to do things of mass complexity?

I messed around with both of them a while back, and between the two, I ended up liking BC a bit better. There seemed to be more possibilities for useful machines there.

I actually liked both Better Than Wolves and Redpower more, though. One thing I didn't like about BuildCraft was that some of the machines were a little too automated for me. For example, you can build a quarry that automatically mines stuff in a huge area all the way down to bedrock. You can make something similar in Redpower, but you have to actually MAKE one from the different components, so it's a lot more satisfying.

To be fair, though, it's been a long time since I messed around with Industrialcraft or Buildcraft, so my opinion's a little out of date.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh. Fuck you, Kerplunk/Treepuncher. Your service is terrible. I can't even get on my server anymore after numerous reboots because your server refuses to save my user data file but saved the chunks. So I lost so much stuff that I had on my person just because I had to log out. I am sick of this. I contacted their support a few weeks ago when I had trouble and they had to actually turn on my privileges because for some inexplicable reason they didn't turn them on when I signed up. Thank goodness because I was able to finally get FTP support and back up my world, which we have worked so hard on and are not going to lose that now. Your site is horrible. Slow. Terrible. Horrible. Your log files tell me there is "No space left on device" which by Googling can mean anything. You refused to help me with that when I mentioned it last time even though it's your fault.

But your price is cheap and monthly. So there's that.

But now I think it's time to move on. I can't use this anymore. I need a new host. I need a host that's not going to crap out and forget to save data or run out of memory or lag all the damn time even though their features list specifically says you're set up to prevent all that shit. No more lies. If I wanted lies, I'd watch a Mitt Romney debate.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had it. They promised trouble-free simplicity. Now all I'm getting is frustration.

TL;DR: Anyone have a suggestion for a host, for a nominal price, preferably monthly, with easy cancellation and a 30-day trial period? I only need it for around 4 people for the most part. It's only me and my family/friends. I need FTP access so I can upload our old world. I want full control over everything. And I want support that's not going to give me the runaround.

What does NeoCraft use? Do they have a smaller server option?

Ark

Multiplay.

Never had any problems, and any problems I have had have been very quickly ratified with their support. Has FTP support, full control, everything you could want.

A year and a half NeoCraft has been running on Multiplay and whilst the server is nowhere near as active as it once was, it's always there to be played on.

Somebody knows what this means?

?
If you middle-click on a block or entity that you're looking at and you have the same type of item in your quickbar, it will switch to that block (ie look at a torch that you've placed, middle click on it, you'll switch to where your torches are).

In creative, you don't need to have the block or item in your quickbar, middle-clicking it will replace whatever item is selected in your quickbar with the item you middle-click on.

I think the change is that now you can also middle-click items in your inventory to get a clone of them in creative mode.

Ranger X

If you middle-click on a block or entity that you're looking at and you have the same type of item in your quickbar, it will switch to that block (ie look at a torch that you've placed, middle click on it, you'll switch to where your torches are).

In creative, you don't need to have the block or item in your quickbar, middle-clicking it will replace whatever item is selected in your quickbar with the item you middle-click on.

I think the change is that now you can also middle-click items in your inventory to get a clone of them in creative mode.

WOW, wow. Wait, I never knew that. I swear. Wow, I can't believe I am still discovering controls after playing this for almost 2 years!!

En2X4.gif

I'm in the same boat with Ranger

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Okay, seriously? HOW CAN I NOT HAVE KNOWN THIS!!!! I've owned this game since Alpha, for Christ's sake. I feel like such a Minecraft newb now...

lol, yeah I didn't know about it until a couple of months ago. I'm willing to bet 90% of players have no idea it exists. It can be useful when doing a repetitive build with multiple blocks, especially in creative mode.

Darias

I Just started up with exodushosting.net.

No complaints so far, and their responses to support tickets is FAST. (Like - 10 minutes)

Seanspeed

Banned

Was this something always in creative mode? Like, do you think there'll be a similar button in the Xbox360 version?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I Just started up with exodushosting.net.

No complaints so far, and their responses to support tickets is FAST. (Like - 10 minutes)
I had Kerplunc and it started out fine, but I've had them for a while and now all of a sudden the service is terrible. And support didn't do a thing to fix it except act like nothing was wrong when it came back.

My server kept forgetting to save user data files and would report "No space on device" errors every time. I lost all my stuff thrice last night before taking the World off the internet and setting up a personal server again.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

Industrial Craft 2 provides a second tier of machines, items, and tools that runs on its electricity resource. Notable items include the Mining Drill and Chainsaw, which serve as powered versions of your Pick/Shovel and Axe/Sword, respectively, and the Macerator, which doubles ingot output from metal ores. IC2 has no real 'automation' capabilities, it just gives you items and neat things to play with, and several systems to muck around with (Such as it's Industrial Crops system).

Buildcraft is about it's pipes. Regular pipes to transport items, Waterproof pipes to cart water, lava, oil, and fuel around, and Redstone pipes to ferry the MJ energy BC uses as it's electricity. BC has less 'neat things' then IC2, but has much more potential for automation, with Automatic crafting tables, logic gate system, and it's signature Blueprint table, which allows you to copy and paste entire structures ingame, and save copies to your hard drive. BC also is well known for it's Quarry block, which constructs a mining drill that systematically digs a huge pit down to bedrock.

Both mods are very popular, and have many addons (Check out Logistics Pipes for BC, which allows you to build a system that accesses your entire multi-chest collection of items from one screen.) Unfortunately, although they both have 1.3.2 releases, they have not released bugfix patches yet (Although both are still quite playable).

Although if you're trying to decide between the two, why not get both? They both require Minecraft Forge API, which allows both of the mods to play nicely with each other, and BC's logic gates can read information from IC2's machines when placed next to each other and can make decisions based on the data.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot to mention that both mods are going to add new items to your world-gen. IC2 adds Copper, Tin, and Uranium ores, as well as special Rubber Trees, and BC will add oil springs. You'll either need to start a new world, or explore new land in your old world in order to find these resources.

(I think I spend more time looking up mods then playing Minecraft at this point help me)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, we play tekkit as part of the technic pack which bundles a bunch of plugins together

I am slightly stumped on how to transfer items to chests and prevent overflow though. Eg I have an automated egg/roast chicken farm and I'm using pipes to carry eggs from the bottom chest back up to a top chest so the egg dispenser can be refilled easily. But the pipes don't know that the top chest is full, so I get overflow. Is there any way around that?

Ideally I'd like to be able to feed the dispenser with pipes, but I need to be able to control overflow first

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Yeah, we play tekkit as part of the technic pack which bundles a bunch of plugins together

I am slightly stumped on how to transfer items to chests and prevent overflow though. Eg I have an automated egg/roast chicken farm and I'm using pipes to carry eggs from the bottom chest back up to a top chest so the egg dispenser can be refilled easily. But the pipes don't know that the top chest is full, so I get overflow. Is there any way around that?

Ideally I'd like to be able to feed the dispenser with pipes, but I need to be able to control overflow first

Either use logic gates next to the dispenser and Redstone engine with red pipe wire to connect them, or use Redpower tubes connected to a Filter, which do not overflow the inventory of the destination block.

legacyzero

Banned
So i finally decided to FINALLY try a new texture pack. I went with Ovo's Rustic. I thought it made my new floating dungeon look the best. HOWEVER, I get THIS:

HAAAAALP!
I've tried to download and figure out MCpatcher, but the shit is confusing :(

microtubule

I don't think the price will change via Mojang for the foreseeable future but that's my opinion.

However, I wonder now that you can purchase pre-paid cards at Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Target if there is a possibility that those retailers could discount?

So i finally decided to FINALLY try a new texture pack. I went with Ovo's Rustic. I thought it made my new floating dungeon look the best. HOWEVER, I get THIS:

HAAAAALP!
I've tried to download and figure out MCpatcher, but the shit is confusing :(

With MCpatcher just make sure "better grass" in unchecked then hit the Patch button at the bottom. If you're worried you've messed it up in the past you can force MC to download a new .jar for the version you're on so you can try it over again with a fresh .jar file.

Y'know that feel when you stumble upon your first pyramid, without any knowledge of how they work, and then fall down the shaft where the blue wool is, trigger the pressure plate, and blow the entire shaft sky high, losing a valuable Fire Aspect diamond sword alongside all the goodies in the chest? Yeah.

:(

FWIW, the map on the server I'm playing on had several rather difficult dungeons added in by the guy who was porting our stuff from the old 1.2 map to this one. I'd just assumed it was one of those. Never realized that was an actual MC feature.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Argh, I've been not playing for over a month now waiting for the major Technic pack mods to update to 1.3.2. I know its a huge shift for the modders but this is agonizing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Argh, I've been not playing for over a month now waiting for the major Technic pack mods to update to 1.3.2. I know its a huge shift for the modders but this is agonizing

I'm assuming they're waiting for 1.4 now? It's been ages. It'd almost be worse if 1.4 comes out and technic pack updates to 1.3.2

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

Only things not updated for 1.3.2 on that list are CBE Wireless Redstone, RedPower2, and Thaumcraft2. However, it appears that the author of Thaumcraft is deciding to rewrite the entire mod from scratch for 1.3.2, which is going to take a huge long while.

Also, many of the current mods that are updated for 1.3.2 are just betas, and still have some avoidable but significant bugs, such as IC2's ghost electricity grid.

I can't speak for anyone, but I'm predicting it'll be a while. Technic takes a long time to update versions of MC.

I found a huge desert at ~x:1500/ z:100

Al-Medina 2, anyone? Next to water and even has a river going through it.

If not, we need to come up with a community project or something... Lately I've been logging in, roaming around, and getting bored very quick, lol.

If not, we need to come up with a community project or something... Lately I've been logging in, roaming around, and getting bored very quick, lol.

We had a capital city idea floating around here a couple weeks back for a community project, or we could just make Dome City 2: The Revenge a community project. :p

-Minsc-

I haven't been on as much lately. When I have I'm usually working on that pigman grinder. I finished detailing today, next is building the road back to my portal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what is an 'end of stream' error usually indicitive of? My daughter's friend is trying to connect but keeps getting this error, and I can see the IP address trying to connect in the mymcadmin console.

Is it likely to be a difference in server version? We're running tekkit so its possible they might not be on the same version.

So I'm looking to build my first town/city. My question to you all is it best to build cities on a large completely flat surface, or improvise on the uneven, random terrain that I currently inhabit?

One of my main obstacles is in trying to measure out the dimensions. I've since stockpiled a vast amount of wood for signs, which I'll use for markers. What dimensions are ideal? 1000x1000? 5000X5000? My questions may seem trivial, but I find myself too overwhelmed with the options that I have. I have ADD in real life, so I tend to be obstinate on the creative end of things. I'm more efficient at spelunking and collecting resources. But it's becoming monotonous, and I'd like to start on new endeavors.

Also, is it common to build dozens of simple wood huts just for the sake of building dozens of wood huts? I haven't even begun to master the art of doing complex house architectures yet. They're about as basic as you can get. But I'd like to get a start somewhere.

Morokh

So I'm looking to build my first town/city. My question to you all is it best to build cities on a large completely flat surface, or improvise on the uneven, random terrain that I currently inhabit?

One of my main obstacles is in trying to measure out the dimensions. I've since stockpiled a vast amount of wood for signs, which I'll use for markers. What dimensions are ideal? 1000x1000? 5000X5000? My questions may seem trivial, but I find myself too overwhelmed with the options that I have. I have ADD in real life, so I tend to be obstinate on the creative end of things. I'm more efficient at spelunking and collecting resources. But it's becoming monotonous, and I'd like to start on new endeavors.

Also, is it common to build dozens of simple wood huts just for the sake of building dozens of wood huts? I haven't even begun to master the art of doing complex house architectures yet. They're about as basic as you can get. But I'd like to get a start somewhere.

The terrain on which you build is pretty much up to you, i know I have a hard time working with the terrain (although I tried to work with it as a challenge in my new village project)

Some type of cities/villages work better with a flat land (like modern ones) and others can produce interesting results when going with the terrain.

For the size, no one can really tell you, but 1000x1000 or bigger is really huge !

You can make a cozy simple and good looking village in less than a 100x100 area, but it all depends on the theme you will want to build, if you want a townhall or not, a castle .. things like that.

I'd say fire up creative mode, try to create houses of different sizes and styles to get an idea, and start from there.

microtubule

Minecraft Snapshot 12w41a released at Mojang.com

The Pretty Scary Update is almost upon us, with just two weeks until our target release date (October 24th). Here is this weeks changelog:

Added a new Anvil block for repairing, merging & naming items
SPOILER!
Added an option for cape-owners to hide their capes ingame
Effects given by the Beacon will be less intrusive on the screen
Level-up sound now only plays every 5 levels
More bugfixes & tweaks!

Interested in the new item and I am happy about the level up sound, well my ears are happy for that!

microtubule

Another day another snapshot!

12w41b has been released

UPDATE: The links above have been updated to version 12w41b. In this extra snapshot:

Fixed anvils repairing themselves when falling
SPOILER
Fixed a few crashes in multiplayer when renaming items
Fixed /kill command not working and screenshot message not showing
More smaller bugfixes and tweaks!

Ranger X

Interesting. Can we now TOTALLY repair a tool? (even if at the cost of more ressources)
Would also be great that when a tool break, we keep the broken version of it.

Hey, guys! I'm working on a project and I'm going to need a few things. Maybe you guys could help me out.

I need a mod to make squid pretty large (preferably able to spawn large squid and small squid). And I also need to know if there is any way that I can have a dead zombie lay down on the ground without disappearing. I'm making a video, so if anyone knows of any mods or anything to help me out, that would be great! Thanks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What exactly are they developing? All of these snapshots just seem to add frilly things which are cute but not particularly useful.

Personally I wish they'd focus on getting the plugin architecture sorted. Plugins are massive on minecraft, but it's a constant issue of waiting for your favourite ones to update to be compatible with the latest build, and installing multiple ones can be tricky. Tekkit is still 1.2.5. IMO it would be the biggest step forward in a long time.

I'd also like an official permissions system for SMP. I still find the plugin versions very confusing.

Top Bottom