• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

TheBez

Exano said:

Quote this post if you want to help us test the factions server.

I'm in, my main computer is in the "shop" at the moment while the graphics card is getting replaced under warranty. But, I do have my laptop which will sorta run minecraft.

Exano

Neo Member
Jasoco said:
Maybe Exano should be clearer. Don't QUOTE the post. Just click QUOTE and get the URL. The post literally says "Quote this post". It should say "Press Quote to see the address of the server."

Yeah..sorry about that guys.

We'd love to have you all hop on, the more the merrier. Also looking for leaders to volunteer to handle aquireing more land for the two starter factions :)

I'm working on a wikipedia along with Mikor atm. It's crappy, but its what I got finished tonight and im tired. Hopefully it'll get the basic idea of the server accross.

Also, if you quote this post and look inside of the text, right HERE is the server name.

Link to Wiki

Exano

Neo Member
edit- that was weird, previous post didn't show up for a good ten minutes, I thought I had never made it. Accidental double post, my bad guys.

KillerAJD

Exano said:
edit- that was weird, previous post didn't show up for a good ten minutes, I thought I had never made it. Accidental double post, my bad guys.
I'd love to volunteer to lead stuff, but I can't guarantee when or how often I'll be on since the internet I'm using is kinda flakey. Plus I've already found a shit ton of gold and diamonds when I was strip-mining earlier.

Articalys

oh boy oh boy

CcCxm.png

Branduil

I wonder if rain will actually have a meaningful effect. Will it start creating water source blocks if it rains long enough?

BooJoh said:
The way beds/compasses are intended to work is like so:

Compass always points toward your original spawn point.
Source: http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/50838388944805888

Successfully sleeping in a bed sets your spawn point to that bed. If that bed is destroyed before you click "Respawn" then your spawn resets to your original spawn.
Source: http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/50556092622704640

Bolded doesn't work for me. I'm probably going to have to get an editor and change my original spawn point. Don't really want to do that, but not much choice it seems :s

Chinner

Banned
so in single player ive got a base but i died and the coordinates i wrote down are wrong (?) for some reason. anyway i can find it or am i stuffed?

Ranger X

Barberetti said:
Bolded doesn't work for me. I'm probably going to have to get an editor and change my original spawn point. Don't really want to do that, but not much choice it seems :s

This is for in multiplayer right? 'Cause there's no "respawn" button to be seen in single player.

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
This is for in multiplayer right? 'Cause there's no "respawn" button to be seen in single player.
I was talking about single player. The respawn button shows when you're dead.

Eccocid

Grinchy said:
I haven't actually gone here yet, but who made this thing on Asscraft? This looks awesome.

0rrgI.png

Forbert made it. You would see his monuments in areas far from spawn point usually. Like a Random temple out of nowhere or a huge dome faaaar from spawn in the middle of frozen lake! It takes a long pilgrimage to visit all his temples and domes!

Eccocid

Qwomo said:
The goal of Minecraft is to cover every surface with lava.

Hahaha i was addicted to it for a awhile. Carrying like more than 10 buckets of lava with me and looking for a big mountain, pouring them form top and shaping surface of mountain to spread lava evenly! So fun and deadly to play with lava!

Vlad

Grargh!!!

So yeah, this whole Factions thing is going to be interesting.

Quick note of advice to anybody, if you're planning on freelancing or just don't know what faction you want to join, make sure that you don't build directly next to an existing faction's turf ("/f map" shows marked territory). Last time I logged on, I had my little shack/quarry set up right next to AOF territory. Next time I'm on, I find my shack has been annexed by AOF. Can't even get into my chests! Thankfully, there's no penalty for joining and leaving factions yet, so I just join AOF, grab all my stuff from the chest, then leave it.

Blizzard

Banned
Eccocid said:
Ya know what would be awesome? FOG!!!
Ever tried to play MC with the lowest view distance? Reminds me of Silent Hill! lol
Besides it makes it more difficult!
Quick, everyone tweet that to Notch. If he's adding weather it'd be the perfect time to add it anyway!

Ranger X

Articalys said:
hahahaha
here's what notch got with rain/snow so far:

UVNCCl.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/55968642944344065

hahaha that's freaking awesome. In wich other game can you sit on the verge between rain and snow? :p

Blizzard said:
Quick, everyone tweet that to Notch. If he's adding weather it'd be the perfect time to add it anyway!

Yeah but "distance fog" wouldn't look great. Would give more of a N64 feeling than anything else. We would need properly done fog. Volumetric fog if possible.

ckohler

Notch is tweeting like crazy right now as he works on this:

Notch said:
Wolves get wet in the rain. Crops will get watered. Anything else it should affect?
Notch said:
I'm not making it solidify lava, as that would ruin all surface lava structures when the first rain hits. But it does put out fires.
Notch said:
Higher odds of catching fish while raining.. Good one. :D I'll try making it fill small holes with water, but it might be annoying.. brb
jeb_ said:
@notch How about arrows flying shorter in rain?
Notch said:
I'm getting so carried away with this weather.. Adding thunder now.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ranger X said:
I am super excited to see him inspired like that!!

:D

I love developers when they are. Sometimes I ask a developer for a favour and they give me twice as much as I asked for just because they brainstormed and came up with something. While not being exactly what I asked for I still put it to good use. <3 Developers.

depths20XX

Thunder and lightning would be awesome. I was sad that snow went away so it's good to see it will be back in.

This stuff really adds to the atmosphere for me

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Exano said:
Yeah..sorry about that guys.

We'd love to have you all hop on, the more the merrier. Also looking for leaders to volunteer to handle aquireing more land for the two starter factions :)

I'm working on a wikipedia along with Mikor atm. It's crappy, but its what I got finished tonight and im tired. Hopefully it'll get the basic idea of the server accross.

Also, if you quote this post and look inside of the text, right HERE is the server name.

Link to Wiki
I'm getting an unknown host error when trying to connect to this server. Is it down or an issue on my end?

evilgreg

Neo Member
What's going on with Exanos server? (Not the factions one)

/who and /list have stopped working since 2 days ago, so there has been no way of seeing who's currently in the server, and it now looks like there only friendly mobs enabled.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Dug myself a tunnel in the factions server and it tapped into a natural cave. Exploring the cave a bit lead me to this.... natural lavafall?? Never seen one this massive or graceful before. Its actually quite impressive

3pTP9.jpg

CmhjI.jpg

Ranger X

kinoki said:
I love developers when they are. Sometimes I ask a developer for a favour and they give me twice as much as I asked for just because they brainstormed and came up with something. While not being exactly what I asked for I still put it to good use. <3 Developers.

Yeah, they are supposed to know what to implement or not and how to do it according the intention of their design and the intended audience for their product. It's their job afterall. Everybody can have ideas but not anybody can properly implement stuff in a game. ;)

Blizzard

Banned
My only fear is that performance will get worse with weather effects. If there ends up being some sort of performance improvement that can get a constant high framerate even with fancy lighting, that'd be amazing.

Ranger X

Blizzard said:
My only fear is that performance will get worse with weather effects. If there ends up being some sort of performance improvement that can get a constant high framerate even with fancy lighting, that'd be amazing.

Yeah indeed. But I suppose they look at the performance like anything else. They had to look at performance since the beginning of the project, I don't think they would stop doing so now. Well, it wouldn't make sense to stop caring as a soft can get clogged SUPER easily.

Blizzard said:
Yeah, I honestly agree it's high time Notch devoted some development to optimizing that piece of shit rendering engine he's got in there, though part of me fears it's simply because java is inherently an inefficient rendering language.

Ranger X said:

Single player. When I respawn after destroying my bed and killing myself, it doesn't dump me at my original spawn point. It now dumps me in a random spot somewhere in between the two. Basically, my original spawn point no longer exists.

Chinner said:
so in single player ive got a base but i died and the coordinates i wrote down are wrong (?) for some reason. anyway i can find it or am i stuffed?

Grab this version of Cartographer. It allows you to generate top down and isometric views of the surface that you've uncovered, and exports the result as an image file.

KillerAJD

Vlad said:
Grargh!!!

So yeah, this whole Factions thing is going to be interesting.

Quick note of advice to anybody, if you're planning on freelancing or just don't know what faction you want to join, make sure that you don't build directly next to an existing faction's turf ("/f map" shows marked territory). Last time I logged on, I had my little shack/quarry set up right next to AOF territory. Next time I'm on, I find my shack has been annexed by AOF. Can't even get into my chests! Thankfully, there's no penalty for joining and leaving factions yet, so I just join AOF, grab all my stuff from the chest, then leave it.
I THINK Mikor did that :p While I was mining he was going crazy claiming land, lol. I told you we'd get back at you! That's for defecting! Also, the weather looks amazing so far, but I'm not sure if I like the rain texture. Still looks like the one he used way back when he first messed with weather.

Mikor

Flim Flam said:
Dug myself a tunnel in the factions server and it tapped into a natural cave. Exploring the cave a bit lead me to this.... natural lavafall?? Never seen one this massive or graceful before. Its actually quite impressive

What you've found is likely the great Lava ocean that separates the land in two.

KillerAJD said:
I THINK Mikor did that :p While I was mining he was going crazy claiming land, lol. I told you we'd get back at you! That's for defecting! Also, the weather looks amazing so far, but I'm not sure if I like the rain texture. Still looks like the one he used way back when he first messed with weather.

Yes I did! The Agents of Freedom needed more room, our numbers are ever increasing!

Eccocid

Fernando Rocker said:
Is it to late to start playing Minecraft?

I'm a Minecraft virgin, but I'm very interested in this game...

No it is never late, this game just gets more popular with every update!

But you should try online which is much more fun!

Fernando Rocker said:

Seeing as the game is still in "beta", it could be argued you're entirely too early.

The way things are going it probably still has entire years of development left in it, and even then it's still a unique and interesting little game as it stands already.

Vinci

Danish
Thank heavens, weather finally arrives. I've been wanting it so badly.

EDIT: Why would it ever be too late to check out Minecraft? This thing is going to be modded to hell and back for years.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Fernando Rocker said:

Its never too late to start! Minecraft at its core is pretty simple really, and you catch on quickly. If you feel the need to prepare before jumping in, visit youtube and search for minecraft tutorials, theres more than enough info there to get anybody going.

After getting your feet wet, check out the minecraft wiki, it is a great compendium of game knowledge.

Vinci

Danish
Flim Flam said:
Its never too late to start! Minecraft at its core is pretty simple really, and you catch on quickly. If you feel the need to prepare before jumping in, visit youtube and search for minecraft tutorials, theres more than enough info there to get anybody going.

After getting your feet wet, check out the minecraft wiki, it is a great compendium of game knowledge.

No, no. No tutorials. Everyone should get to have a virginal first night in Minecraft.

Top Bottom