• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Exano

Neo Member
Hey guys, we're in the process of beta testing a server based on the concept of PvP and faction-based combat complete with a whole economy set up and such. We're trying to iron the kinks out of it before we launch and go live, so we'd love to get some people to sign up for a whitelisted beta and try and break stuff ;)

PM me if your interested, i'll whitelist you guys and give ya the address.

Ferrio

Banned
rdelaney said:
Are you on Asscraft? It would be awesome if we could link Exano's server and the Asscraft server with portals! I have never been on Asscraft because I already have so many materials and things on Exano's it would suck starting over.

No this is my group's own personal server.

Ranger X

Vlad said:
Having the compass point North would make it entirely redundant, given that you can navigate N/S/E/W by using the sun, moon, and clouds. Having it point to a fixed point on the map means that you can always find your way back "home" no matter what.

That's exactly why in this case I would want it to always point to your spawnpoint or another idea that would be great is to simply right click on something with the compass in hand and set that block as a "marker". This way the compass will always bring you back exactly where you would want.

mrklaw said:
what we need is a method of choosing where the spawn is. You can't assume its the last bed you slept in, thats the problem. Give us a little 'barber pole' we can plant to create 'spawn'. Then we can choose to either leave it at home, or take it with us on trips, and therefore choose where we respawn, and where the compass points.

Exactly what I just answered to Vlad there. (bolded)

;)

bengraven

So where were those pics, Wolf? Which location is that formation nearest?

Flim Flam said:
built a nice little dog park to house dogs in exano's server

BxSEy.jpg

aEp2r.jpg

Its a shame that you have to have them sit though, otherwise they warp out and catch up with you as you leave :(

Ha, I saw this while it was in construction: you just had the fences up I think, and my first thought was "aw, someone's gonna do a dogpark :3 " haha

Exano

Neo Member

Quote this post if you want to help us test the factions server.

It will be called "Civil Wars" when it is launched.
At launch there will be 2 main factions. Factions are individual "governments" that are owned by players and have customizeable ranks.

Factions are contributed by the player base themselves. If you die, your faction loses two points, if you kill an enemy the faction gains two points. The factions total pool of points (The sum of all the players) is used to purchase more land, or to steal land from your enemys. Your land can be taken as well, if your power falls to low.

All land on faction territory is completely protected. Monsters will not spawn on this land, and your damage is reduced by 50%.

Factions can be upgraded up to a certain level, providing integration with the central economy through shops, stargates, and much more.

Economics:

The servers economy is controlled by the players. Every player starts with a certain amount of money which they can use to purchase goods or services. Goods can also be sold. The main shops are located in the capital city, CCRTown. CCRTown is the central hub of traffic amongst the factions. It is a neutral territory, and PvP is not allowed there. There is a shop hub which sells everything from the rarest of goods (Netherrack, glowstone) to the more common. Players can also choose to open up their own shops in their factions.

Money can also be used to purchase player housing in safe zones as well as other useful things, such as purchasing lives which enable your inventory to carry over after death.

MCMMO:

The server also will be using MCMMO. MCMMO grants stats and abilities to various things in the minecraft world (IE Acrobatics). These items level up and grant abilities at higher levels.

Please note: The server is in beta and is subject to rollbacks. CCRTown's construction is inspired by Lumina Nocturnale by TrynePlague1.0. This server is run by a company, not by a single person. This server will not be specifically for GAF.

Thanks guys, please let us know what needs to be changed, whats bugged, broken, and stupid. We love your feedback!

bengraven

Exano said:

At launch there will be 2 main factions. Factions are individual "governments" that are owned by players and have customizeable ranks.

Factions are contributed by the player base themselves. If you die, your faction loses two points, if you kill an enemy the faction gains two points. The factions total pool of points (The sum of all the players) is used to purchase more land, or to steal land from your enemys. Your land can be taken as well, if your power falls to low.

All land on faction territory is completely protected. Monsters will not spawn on this land, and your damage is reduced by 50%.

Factions can be upgraded up to a certain level, providing integration with the central economy through shops, stargates, and much more.

Economics:

The servers economy is controlled by the players. Every player starts with a certain amount of money which they can use to purchase goods or services. Goods can also be sold. The main shops are located in the capital city, CCRTown. CCRTown is the central hub of traffic amongst the factions. It is a neutral territory, and PvP is not allowed there. There is a shop hub which sells everything from the rarest of goods (Netherrack, glowstone) to the more common. Players can also choose to open up their own shops in their factions.

Money can also be used to purchase player housing in safe zones as well as other useful things, such as purchasing lives which enable your inventory to carry over after death.

MCMMO:

The server also will be using MCMMO. MCMMO grants stats and abilities to various things in the minecraft world (IE Acrobatics). These items level up and grant abilities at higher levels.

Please note: The server is in beta and is subject to rollbacks. CCRTown's construction is inspired by Lumina Nocturnale by TrynePlague1.0. This server is run by a company, not by a single person. This server will not be specifically for GAF.

Thanks guys, please let us know what needs to be changed, whats bugged, broken, and stupid. We love your feedback!

As one of the first testers on this, I can attest to it being incredible.

Exano and Mikor's economy mod is the deepest and dopest I've seen so far.

I wanted to play again last night before bed, but the server was down. :(

Belfast

Exano said:

Economics:

MCMMO:

Sent you a PM, but quoting this just in case.

Roche

Exano said:

That sounds really cool, I didn't know you could do all that with Minecraft. Anyway yeah I'd like to help test that.

Also animl, any word on when Asscraft is getting Craftbukkit back?

Vinci

Danish
Exano: I'm assuming the server is down at the moment. I entered it and couldn't connect. Thanks for letting me in any case.

Mikor

Folks who are looking to participate in our test run, please pay attention once you've quoted Exano's post, as the URL is embedded into the quote like the OP.

Exano

Neo Member
Yeah it should be up now, anyone can join theres no more white list.

In a few hours eastern we'll begin pushing it hard hopefully :p

Ranger X

wwm0nkey said:
Notch interested in doing a 3DS version of Minecraft but he is too busy at the moment.

There's one thing about minecraft though. Having a cursor on screen that you move with a mouse let's you select blocks alot more easily than if you're moving the cursor with a controller or using a stylus in a small screen. This is where the PC version might always stay superior. SO MANY blocks that I killed only touching a very tiny little part of their corner...

Ferrio

Banned
Exano said:

Didn't wanna quote the whole thing, but I'd love to check it out.

wwm0nkey

Ranger X said:
There's one thing about minecraft though. Having a cursor on screen that you move with a mouse let's you select blocks alot more easily than if you're moving the cursor with a controller or using a stylus in a small screen. This is where the PC version might always stay superior. SO MANY blocks that I killed only touching a very tiny little part of their corner...
Oh it would be much better on PC still but it would still be good on the 3DS and would be nice to have Minecraft on the go.

Vitet

wwm0nkey said:
Oh it would be much better on PC still but it would still be good on the 3DS and would be nice to have Minecraft on the go.

Cross-plataform cloud saving whould be great...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
civil war server sounds awesome, ive been hoping something like that would eventually happen with gaf.

will tnt be active for this server so i can make surprise cannons outside of enemy bases? xD

also my landmine traps could return...

Yaweee

Exano said:

Economics:

MCMMO:

I'm in, I think.

You apparently start drowning to death.

Gala

Exano said:

Economics:

MCMMO:

This sounds awesome! I'm thrilled of PvP, RPG-features and server-economy! I'm in!

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Exano said:

Economics:

MCMMO:

So this is GAF's version of Penny Arcade's Nations at War?

I go to the PA forums, and while I didn't participate in N@W, I follow what goes on closely, and saying that, Make an account there, and talk with Ein, the guy who made it. I say that mostly because, regardless of what rules you lay down, people will be dicks, griefing will occur, and he has experience running a very similiar server and could give you some pointers/ideas how to stop stupid shit from happening.

Also, I want to test it :)

BooJoh

mrklaw said:
what we need is a method of choosing where the spawn is. You can't assume its the last bed you slept in, thats the problem. Give us a little 'barber pole' we can plant to create 'spawn'. Then we can choose to either leave it at home, or take it with us on trips, and therefore choose where we respawn, and where the compass points.
This idea was planned, then scrapped. If you look at terrain.png there's an unused texture (like obsidian with blue moss) that was going to be used for a "spawn obelisk."
Source: http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/52643485311975424
http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/52994778224275456

The way beds/compasses are intended to work is like so:

Compass always points toward your original spawn point.
Source: http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/50838388944805888

Successfully sleeping in a bed sets your spawn point to that bed. If that bed is destroyed before you click "Respawn" then your spawn resets to your original spawn.
Source: http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/50556092622704640

Ranger X said:
I think using the touchscreen as a trackpad like Metroid Prime Hunters with the gameplay on the top screen would work fine, and then use circle-pad/buttons to walk and strafe, L/R to "click," d-pad up to toggle between digging or placing blocks, d-pad left/right to scroll through inventory, d-pad down to crouch, tap the screen to jump. Of course inventory management could be done with the stylus as long as that menu is open. I think it wouldn't be as ideal as on a PC but it would work rather well.

ckohler

Vitet said:
Cross-plataform cloud saving whould be great...
I keep my world on DropBox and play it from there. Not sure if that works cross platform but I think it would should since the file/directory structure is the same across platform.

Xun

Exano said:

Economics:

MCMMO:

Definitely up for this!

parasight

Exano said:

Economics:

MCMMO:

I would love to try this out. Count me in!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Exano said:

Economics:

MCMMO:

That sounds awesome.

This game has so much potential as a competitive one.

KillerAJD

Mikor and Exano- EXCELLENT server! I've had a lot of fun so far, and can't wait to see what it's like with a shit ton more people.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
CoffeeJanitor said:
Does anyone hang out near the spawn point at Exano's anymore? I'm building a house there but no one ever seems to be around

/foreveralone
Technically I do, but Pokémon pulled me away from the game :/

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
Yeah I agree :(

I will start fantasizing about Minecraft on PSN and XBLA and then I realize how much precision would be lost from using a controller.

Although...a PS3 Move version might be pretty damn cool...

Ranger X

Grinchy said:

I will start fantasizing about Minecraft on PSN and XBLA and then I realize how much precision would be lost from using a controller.

I could also agree to this since theorically "movement detection + cursor on screen = win". This line of thinking is also critically underused on Wii.

evilgreg

Neo Member
ckohler said:
I keep my world on DropBox and play it from there. Not sure if that works cross platform but I think it would should since the file/directory structure is the same across platform.
How do you point Minecraft to save to that directory?

has anyone heard about this?

from something awful

QXC said:
A guy named "Zidonux" was streaming a livestream of him hacking major servers, (Battlecraft, Buxville) and he attempted to hack the server Super-Earth. He also replaced the download links on bukkit.org with a version of a virus that corrupts the users computer.

Me and a moderator from super earth obtained all of his personal information, he is now arrested. If a mod allows it I will post a pastebin link to all of his information, how it was obtained, and a video of him being arrested at his house.

David Brown from Ashburn Virginia was born February 18th, 1991, he will likely spend the next few years in jail. Gamernorth.net (Admins of Super-earth/battlecraft) and Buxville.net are pressing legal charges, Sadly the administrator of bukkit.org has yet to be contacted. DO NOT download anything from bukkit.org!

Video of Davids action is still on his Livestream
http://www.livestream.com/zidonuke

???

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Grinchy said:

Hmm... what about a Kinect version where different movements correspond to different tools? Like, your inventory has a slot for your pickaxe/sword/shovel/axe/hoe/bow, and each movement automatically switches to that item and uses it.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay I joined that one server... and.... I'm lost as what to do. I went into that huge city and looked around.... but okay now what?

KillerAJD

Man, strip mining is amazing. I've found so much shit in the past hour it's not funny. Can't wait till more people join Civil Wars because it could become insanely good if we can get some more people on. Also, /f join AOF !!!!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can people stop *literally* quoting exanos post? Just hit 'quote' and then the URL is in an email tag. So youq don't need to post anything, it's just a mechanism to keep the URL fom non-members

Jasoco

Banned
Maybe Exano should be clearer. Don't QUOTE the post. Just click QUOTE and get the URL. The post literally says "Quote this post". It should say "Press Quote to see the address of the server."

Top Bottom