• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've been planning a tower to the heavens (That I'll call Tower of Babel) for weeks. Ever since I finished my castle with giant Exor sword sticking out of it I've realized it wasn't really that big of a project. So now I need something even bigger. The design I currently have settled on (After drafting half a dozen different designs in Creative) will come out to be about 170+ meters high when finished. About 40-50 floors at 4 meters each. I have 2 done so far.

I really need to put out a video of my world soon.

Some changes to the Harvester:

-Removed piston door mechanics to the enchanting rooms. Only need 15 bookshelves for maximum enchants.

-The large free range sheep area is now a cow area! If you stop by, feed the cows please! Leather is the new hot commodity.

-Pigs coming soon to the old cow pen.

-Pigs coming soon to the old cow pen.

I hate cows even more than i hate coppers.

1295122-500px_obro_tommy3_super.jpg

Isobelise

Seemed time for a new community project. I proudly introduce Gaf-Kong!
Still landscaping but the first lots are free for occupation :D
Also need to "persuade" Charlie for a warp, hihi
*fixed /warp gaf-kong*

2012-11-07_12.24.50s.png

And some other screenshots to tickle your interest :D

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23159829/2012-11-07_12.25.00.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23159829/2012-11-07_12.25.23.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23159829/2012-11-07_12.25.39.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23159829/2012-11-07_12.26.01.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23159829/2012-11-07_12.26.34.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23159829/2012-11-07_12.28.06.png

As will I. More recording material and fun! :)

Speaking of that, if you're wondering where I've been for the last week (besides conspicuously absent from NeoCraft), I've been working on a project for a contest. It's a last-chance contest to get on the Mindcrack Fan Server and I've been throwing every little bit of time and effort I have into building the best prison for the contest I could come up with.

You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7xwzFkWDEc

Wish me luck, guys. Mine is apparently the only one that doesn't look like a giant stone brick cube or a castle.

-Minsc-

Speaking of that, if you're wondering where I've been for the last week (besides conspicuously absent from NeoCraft), I've been working on a project for a contest. It's a last-chance contest to get on the Mindcrack Fan Server and I've been throwing every little bit of time and effort I have into building the best prison for the contest I could come up with.

Wish me luck, guys. Mine is apparently the only one that doesn't look like a giant stone brick cube or a castle.

Looks like a worthy project for NeoCraft. ;)

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

Neat contest. I notice that most of the entries have standard long hallway cell blocks. No one went for a panopticon style which would have been my first choice.

Neat contest. I notice that most of the entries have standard long hallway cell blocks. No one went for a panopticon style which would have been my first choice.

Yeah, though for mine that was intentional. I chose to base the layout a little bit off of Alcatraz. :)

I also tried to put function into every room so space wasn't wasted. The other big problem I saw was everyone seemed to use stone brick exclusively, which causes everything to be a big gray blob. And I'm shocked no one else seems to have come up with the iron fence and sticky piston doors for cells; they were all using steel doors or stone brick blocks.

There's one panopticon-esque entry in there, but that's all I remember seeing.

My initial idea was to build a city, blow it up and use the remains to build a prison out of Escape from New York style. It never really worked, though, so I settled on the island but kept my original backstory idea (an unfixable update breaks the game so the prison is needed to keep things in order.)

Why no one else used mobs as prisoners, too, I will never know. It works so much better than just villagers.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, though for mine that was intentional. I chose to base the layout a little bit off of Alcatraz. :)

I also tried to put function into every room so space wasn't wasted. The other big problem I saw was everyone seemed to use stone brick exclusively, which causes everything to be a big gray blob. And I'm shocked no one else seems to have come up with the iron fence and sticky piston doors for cells; they were all using steel doors or stone brick blocks.

There's one panopticon-esque entry in there, but that's all I remember seeing.

My initial idea was to build a city, blow it up and use the remains to build a prison out of Escape from New York style. It never really worked, though, so I settled on the island but kept my original backstory idea (an unfixable update breaks the game so the prison is needed to keep things in order.)

Why no one else used mobs as prisoners, too, I will never know. It works so much better than just villagers.

I think I know the one you mean with the panopticon-esque thing. It was a giant cave that had a guard post suspended from the ceiling in the middle of the room.

There was also another one that had a bunch of mob heads in picture frames on the wall for a "most wanted" board. I don't remember if it had mobs in the prison, but they were clearly criminals.

I liked the iron bar sticky piston door, but I probably wouldn't use something like that myself because the sticky piston showing would bug me too much. I agree that there was way too much stone brick on display.

Finally getting around to trying out potion making... It's pretty neat-o burrito!

This flow chart helps too, lol.

Speaking of potions, I realized there was no water source at the harvester, so there is one now! It's under the brewing stands in the orange H room.

PS: To those of you looking for the secret room at the harvester, you do not need to break any blocks to get to it. You do need an item, however...

Finally getting around to trying out potion making... It's pretty neat-o burrito!

This flow chart helps too, lol.

Speaking of potions, I realized there was no water source at the harvester, so there is one now! It's under the brewing stands in the orange H room.

PS: To those of you looking for the secret room at the harvester, you do not need to break any blocks to get to it. You do need an item, however...

BRB, sticking redstone torches everywhere.

microtubule

Minecraft 1.4.4 Pre-Release "released"

There were two important new problems in the 1.4.3 pre-release that we had to fix, so here’s a pre-release of 1.4.4 instead! We hope to publish it in the launcher in the middle of next week.

The changes since 1.4.3 is:

Another 20 or so issues fixed, full list here: 1.4.4 issue list
Fixed the “unable to swim upwards” bug (prevented a 1.4.3 official release)
Fixed the “placed torches jump between walls” bug (also prevented a 1.4.3 release)

Seanspeed

Banned
It's not a glitch. You now take damage starting from falls of 1.5 blocks or higher.

Damn. Thats going to make Survival mode a bit more frustrating. I often use the fact that I can drop 2 blocks without getting hurt to my advantage when building things and exploring and whatnot.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's not a glitch. You now take damage starting from falls of 1.5 blocks or higher.

Really, it's not a bug? That kind of sucks, I always liked having a "safe fall" distance. Of course, I finally got Feather Fall IV on a set of boots last week, so I'm not too concerned with fall damage anymore.

That's really dumb. Why change what wasn't broken? They just made climbing down cliffs ludicrously more difficult with that. (Not ludicrously; forgot that a full stomach would introduce health regen.)

kennah

Remember the good old days of no fall damage? I had my towers all built with easy drop chutes for access to the different areas.

Taffer

It's as if they want you to mod the game. Except for the lack of a mod API.
It's as if they don't want you to mod the game.

Mengy

That's really dumb. Why change what wasn't broken? They just made climbing down cliffs ludicrously more difficult with that. (Not ludicrously; forgot that a full stomach would introduce health regen.)

Initially this is my reaction too, but honestly with health regen now it really doesn't matter much. Fall down a few rungs of that ladder, and as long as you aren't hungry it's no harm at all. After thinking about it a bit, I'm actually fine with this new change (bug?).

Remember the good old days of no hunger bars, or tool durability? ;-;

I may be in the minority here, but I love both hunger and tool durability. They are both game mechanics that add tons of play value for me. Hunger gives you an actual reason to make farms and carry food, and tool durability gives you a reason to mine for materials, to enchant tools, and now to have an anvil handy to repair things. I would never want to go back to the alpha days.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Initially this is my reaction too, but honestly with health regen now it really doesn't matter much. Fall down a few rungs of that ladder, and as long as you aren't hungry it's no harm at all. After thinking about it a bit, I'm actually fine with this new change (bug?).

It's a pain in the ass to me because I tend to walk around at 0 hunger a lot of the time. I'm more than willing to take the lack of regen and sprint hit in order to not have to worry about carrying food around all the time or setting up and maintaining a farm. It's more busy work that I'd rather ignore.

Enco

Been getting into MC again lately.

Mods make put this game on a whole new level.

Mo' Creatures - Creates an infinitely more lively world
MAtmos Ambient Sound - Creates an infinitely less boring world
Legendary Beasts - Adds way more challenge although I have yet to battle one
Metallurgy - Adds a crap load of new ores for mining and crafting fun
Millenaire - More NPC villages for a more packed world

All of the above and a server for me and a friend = many hours of gameplay

Installing everything and getting to work was a pain though. A nice built in UI for modding would make the game a lot more interesting as I am resilient to downloading many other mods due to the time it takes and possible issues (esp with updating).

-Minsc-

After hunting Wither Skeletons for the past few days I've decided on a new mini project.

Retrofit a remote Nether Fortress to promote higher Wither Skeleton spawning:

-Slab/lava around the fortress.
-Not near the degree done at the Gold Farm.
-It'll help use up the double chest of cobble slabs left over from the gold farm.
-Portal from the nether fortress will provide a remote location in the overworld for Wither Boss carnage.
-Attempt to build a Nether Rail from the Gold Farm warp to said nether fortress.

Back to the Nether I go.

OMG those steps. I need the update now. I hope tekkit updates soon

NihonTiger, how does your portcullis work? I want something like that for my castle.

It's a design by Pearsquirrel (don't have the Youtube link offhand but I'll find it) but the gravel pushes the gate up, then falls down into its original position. Top pistons later push the gate back down.

After hunting Wither Skeletons for the past few days I've decided on a new mini project.

Retrofit a remote Nether Fortress to promote higher Wither Skeleton spawning:

-Slab/lava around the fortress.
-Not near the degree done at the Gold Farm.
-It'll help use up the double chest of cobble slabs left over from the gold farm.
-Portal from the nether fortress will provide a remote location in the overworld for Wither Boss carnage.
-Attempt to build a Nether Rail from the Gold Farm warp to said nether fortress.

Back to the Nether I go.

Zisteau of Mindcrack fame is building something like this right now, actually. I've been watching him work on it during his Let's Play series.

Mengy

/sethome doesnt work anymore

From what I've read it's a known issue with Essentials v2.9.5. There is a dev build out now that is supposed to fix it, but Multiplay won't update it until a new release version is out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
From what I've read it's a known issue with Essentials v2.9.5. There is a dev build out now that is supposed to fix it, but Multiplay won't update it until a new release version is out.

How does multiplay work? D they handle all the server nonsense for you, including desired plugins? Or do you have to manually copy stuff across?

MackVee

Neo Member
Hm, I keep getting kicked when I try to join the Gaf server with error message "Bad packet id 82". Worked fine last night and I haven't change anything. Anyone know the solution? Google is of no help.

-Minsc-

Hm, I keep getting kicked when I try to join the Gaf server with error message "Bad packet id 82". Worked fine last night and I haven't change anything. Anyone know the solution? Google is of no help.

No idea, but when ever you join it kicks everyone else off the server. You only managed to kick me though that last time. Got the same message.

-Minsc-

WARNING

Due to the above issue, DO NOT use the Gaf-Kong warp. I just went there and now I'm kicked just like Mack. Now as soon as I join the server I get that error message. If anyone reads this try removing all item frames in Gaf-Kong. Report back and we'll attempt to join the server.

Edit: A server reboot may, or may not, help.

Edit 2:

FrozenBrain added a comment - 04/Nov/12 8:43 PM - edited

Good news: I found out what causes the error (I think).

What to do to reproduce the problem:

1. Make a wall of around 26x26 blocks (the size doesn't really matter)
2. Put an item frame on one side of each block
3. Fill them with a map
4. Watch your client crash
While rightclicking all the item frames with a map, my Minecraft crashed and failed to connect after a restart.
I was able to reproduce the problem everytime I tried to.
I then removed all item frames from our worlds and had no problems since.

*aims cannons at Spuits map building*

Top Bottom