• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

spuit*11

Banned
Hmm that's odd, it wasn't doing this yesterday. I warped in and quit/rejoined countless times in gaf-kong.

But now I can't get in either.

So sorry chaps.

Kuntz

Ooookay after many attemps where the game didn't want so start at all (even after messing with .bat things and java version), I tried one last time .... yeah, it worked.

So here I am, just having read this thread because I couldn't play but having avoided all sort of wiki spoilers.

I had no idea what to do.

Then I punched trees (ouch), then I decided to make a tower on the coast.

Having so much fun now, just came across sheeps and sugar cane.

Those creepers and skeletons are scary, at night I just lock myself in my starting tower, but there's a problem : I'm hungry, so hungry I'm dying. Help ? :)

Once I get used to the game maybe I'll hop on neocraft to say hello to you people.

OK I be starting the server now. I am gonna be on Neocraft in a minute so will check things out and if I can will remove the frames and what not.

How does multiplay work? D they handle all the server nonsense for you, including desired plugins? Or do you have to manually copy stuff across?

OK this is just how I think it works, now bear in mind I am an idiot and my idea of server management is "hey what does this big shiny red toggle do that says DO NOT PRESS do ? Whoops I broke the server". Multiply has a "pool" of plugins/addons/mods that they support/allow we can choose to use as many or as few as we want on our particular server. Naturally we (and by we I mean the wonderful Mengy) have to configure the plugins for our settings but everything else such as updating is handled by multiplay. That is my take on it anyway.

Xun

I highly suggest NOT building on NeoCraft for a while.

The server just reset and got rid of a lot of stuff that was recently built, and it's probably best not taking any chances.

Ranger X

Ooookay after many attemps where the game didn't want so start at all (even after messing with .bat things and java version), I tried one last time .... yeah, it worked.

So here I am, just having read this thread because I couldn't play but having avoided all sort of wiki spoilers.

Those creepers and skeletons are scary, at night I just lock myself in my starting tower, but there's a problem : I'm hungry, so hungry I'm dying. Help ? :)

Once I get used to the game maybe I'll hop on neocraft to say hello to you people.

You need to eat food. Kills pigs, cows or chicken and then cook their food drops.

Jeez guys I go off for an imaginary bike ride around some imaginary scenery (may or may not be dome like in my mind) and all hell breaks lose.

what are you on? ;)

Kuntz

Found some pigs faraway, i'm saved.

I have a small pen where i plant wheat and managed to lock a sheep inside.

My first cavern lead me to a huuuuge rift with water, lava ... so cool.

I'll try to take some screenshots tomorrow (although it's not as good as your superprojects)

-Minsc-

Found some pigs faraway, i'm saved.

I have a small pen where i plant wheat and managed to lock a sheep inside.

My first cavern lead me to a huuuuge rift with water, lava ... so cool.

I'll try to take some screenshots tomorrow (although it's not as good as your superprojects)

Everyone starts out in the same place. :)

microtubule

The early Minecraft grind is my favorite part of the game. My goal most of the time when starting out in a newly generated world is to finally have a place to call home with plenty of stock on hand to continue my exploration and expansion.

have fun!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The early Minecraft grind is my favorite part of the game. My goal most of the time when starting out in a newly generated world is to finally have a place to call home with plenty of stock on hand to continue my exploration and expansion.

have fun!

Are there any good survival maps or servers? I remember yogcast I think doing a lets play on an island with very few resources, so even getting torches was a challenge

My pet peeve with early game 'lets play' videos is how the player sends ages wandering around not sorting out shelter (number one priority), and then spends ages looking for coal seams to make torches (number two priority)

First things I always do

1) punch a tree or two
2) make a crafting table and a wooden pick
3) dig a hole in the side of a hill, using the pick when you hit stone.
4) when you get 11 stone, make a stone pick and a furnace
5) burn some wood to make charcoal - none of this coal nonsense. As soon as you have one piece of charcoal put that in as fuel to not waste wood, and make a few more pieces
6) make some torches to light up your hole in the ground
7) if you have enough wood, make a door. If not, just seal yourself in for the night

Kuntz

Here are the promised screenshots.

My room where I sleep and stock some components.

2bZGO.png

My small farming area with the seeds I got and a sheep I managed to lure in (had to destroy he fences and the door because it always got stuck).

The tower and some sugarcane on the coast, it extends twice like this underground.

My goal now is to bring pigs closer to the tower because I have to walk far away to find food (but I need carrots for this and i don't know where those are, haven't found any cow or chicken either).
Also each floor of the tower will be dedicated to something (like crafting, smelting, whatever).

Is there some way to know which ingame day you're on ?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No, but damn would that be a neat feature. I still wish they'd add seasons. Real seasons. It's not like it would be hard. And it could be optional. Make crops not grow in the winter unless shielded from the weather (Sky light aside from glass) and have seasonal things happen. Snowing in winter, melting in spring. Brown leaves and grass in fall. Would be so trivial to implement. Make the seasons based on a Minecraft "year" which could be 4 25-day seasons.

Enco

No, but damn would that be a neat feature. I still wish they'd add seasons. Real seasons. It's not like it would be hard. And it could be optional. Make crops not grow in the winter unless shielded from the weather (Sky light aside from glass) and have seasonal things happen. Snowing in winter, melting in spring. Brown leaves and grass in fall. Would be so trivial to implement. Make the seasons based on a Minecraft "year" which could be 4 25-day seasons.
There's a mod for seasons.

Haven't tried it though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Here are the promised screenshots.

My goal now is to bring pigs closer to the tower because I have to walk far away to find food (but I need carrots for this and i don't know where those are, haven't found any cow or chicken either).
Also each floor of the tower will be dedicated to something (like crafting, smelting, whatever).

Depending how far away the pigs are, you could build a quick dirt wall around them, and then slowly close off the far end, so they're pushed closer to you a bit at a time?

Kuntz

Depending how far away the pigs are, you could build a quick dirt wall around them, and then slowly close off the far end, so they're pushed closer to you a bit at a time?

I ... didn't think about this, nice idea but will take a lot of time (they are 2 biomes away 3 minutes realtime walk) , also I fear they'll go extinct judging from how quickly I get hungry versus locking them and finding carrots for breeding.

I'll try tomorrow.

bengraven

You know, we left the TV on and there are apparently a couple of Lego shows on. Ninjago and some sci-fi builder thing.

And it got me thinking that I could honestly see a tongue in cheek Minecraft cartoon.

I received a call for help from Dryuriev. He apparently got into a spot of bother with a pig (as you do). Anyway I teleported to him. There was no sign of the pig and for some strange reason Dryuriev was just sitting there with his legs "akimbo". I naturally made my excuses and ran for the damn hills as fast as my legs could carry me :-

2dfZV.png

Dryuriev all I can say is that you are an odd block :p

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
There was no sign of the pig and for some strange reason Dryuriev was just sitting there with his legs "akimbo". I naturally made my excuses and ran for the damn hills as fast as my legs could carry me :-

But not before taking a picture. I question just how quick you were to "run for the hills". >_>

Nohar

Today, I played Minecraft again, after leaving the game untouched for months. I discover my first Desert Temple. Overjoyed, I dig the blue square, only to fall in the room below, where 4 chests are waiting for me. The only thing that I wasn't expecting was the TNT which was activated when I fell on the pressure plate. I lost everything, including my Pickaxe Efficiency4/Unbreaking3/Fortune2. FML.

Also: Hi Minecraftgaf :)

I received a call for help from Dryuriev. He apparently got into a spot of bother with a pig (as you do). Anyway I teleported to him. There was no sign of the pig and for some strange reason Dryuriev was just sitting there with his legs "akimbo". I naturally made my excuses and ran for the damn hills as fast as my legs could carry me :-

http://i.imgur.com/2dfZV.png

Dryuriev all I can say is that you are an odd block :-p[/QUOTE]

So I see the picture here and notice the announcement, I read the last page about it, I haven't logged in on neocraft for a few days, before this "bug" and I do have item frames with maps set up around me, does this mean as soon as I log in things well go nuts?

-Minsc-

So I see the picture here and notice the announcement, I read the last page about it, I haven't logged in on neocraft for a few days, before this "bug" and I do have item frames with maps set up around me, does this mean as soon as I log in things well go nuts?

You should be good to log on. I believe the error only happens when the frames are loaded for a prolonged period of time.

But not before taking a picture. I question just how quick you were to "run for the hills". >_>

Wellllllll what happened was this, in my haste to vacate the situation as quickly as possible I meant to hit the "get me the hell out of here pronto this is way too weird for my tastes" key (which as we know is usually next to the PrtScn key). Now I was in such a fluster that I wasted crucial seconds of extended exposure to dry by making the mistake of pressing the wrong button ...................... that is my excuse, I am sticking to it and I have paid off witnesses that can confirm this :p

Yeah as Minsc said as long as your area isn't "loaded" in there shouldn't be a problem. However to be on the safe side when you get a chance could you pop on and remove them just for now.

On another note, Notch tweeted this just now :-

Notch said:
The PC version of Minecraft just passed 8 million sales! My face is making grinning sounds, so I assume it's grinning!

https://twitter.com/notch/status/267962794165547008

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Other than 1.4.2 support, how is that different to something like technic launcher?

The makers asked for permission from the author of every mod they included in the pack, as seen here. This prevents bad blood forming between the authors and modpack maintainers, like SirSengir modifying his mod to not play nice when launched by Technic.

FTB also has a few different mods included in it's default loadout, such as Forestry, ExtraBiomesXL and Secret Rooms, and contains tools to easily modify the default loadout.

Fake edit: The launcher has launched, but it seems they haven't updated their actual download links yet, they're located on a special temporary homepage.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The makers asked for permission from the author of every mod they included in the pack, as seen here. This prevents bad blood forming between the authors and modpack maintainers, like SirSengir modifying his mod to not play nice when launched by Technic.

FTB also has a few different mods included in it's default loadout, such as Forestry, ExtraBiomesXL and Secret Rooms, and contains tools to easily modify the default loadout.

Fake edit: The launcher has launched, but it seems they haven't updated their actual download links yet, they're located on a special temporary homepage.

ok, thanks. Might see how their stuff compares with Technic Launcher. Mainly in getting a server up and running and transferring an existing world to it.

microtubule

Are there any good survival maps or servers? I remember yogcast I think doing a lets play on an island with very few resources, so even getting torches was a challenge

My pet peeve with early game 'lets play' videos is how the player sends ages wandering around not sorting out shelter (number one priority), and then spends ages looking for coal seams to make torches (number two priority)

First things I always do

1) punch a tree or two
2) make a crafting table and a wooden pick
3) dig a hole in the side of a hill, using the pick when you hit stone.
4) when you get 11 stone, make a stone pick and a furnace
5) burn some wood to make charcoal - none of this coal nonsense. As soon as you have one piece of charcoal put that in as fuel to not waste wood, and make a few more pieces
6) make some torches to light up your hole in the ground
7) if you have enough wood, make a door. If not, just seal yourself in for the night

Not sure about the servers because I usually play single play/offline. I do the same 1-7 things as you. I am itching now to start a new world but I have a minecart system basically from my base to the end portal so I am thinking of slaying the dragon and creating an ender grinder there.

and

Minecraft has sold 8 MILLION copies!

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
ok, thanks. Might see how their stuff compares with Technic Launcher. Mainly in getting a server up and running and transferring an existing world to it.

FTB is not running with Bukkit, so many control programs common with today's servers are not compatible, as opposed to Tekkit. Allegedly someone's writing equivalent programs for Forge, but I figured I should warn you if you're trying to build a server for anyone other then people you completely trust.

Also, if you're transferring anything, you'll need to worry about matching IDs. If, for example, the world you're using has a Rubber Tree wood block as ID 173, and the other mod pack uses ID 173 to represent Tank walls, you'll boot up your world to find a forest of steel. o.o Additionally, since FTB uses Extra Biomes XL, you'll most likely encounter abrupt landscape shifts when you generate new terrain.

Blizzard

Banned
Eight million is pretty crazy. I rather wonder how many games it will end up passing in lifetime sales by the time all is said and done.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What's even more crazy is to realise that every single of those 8 millions sales for this game are thoroughfly deserved!

Yeah, I have to agree. Minecraft has become one of my top five games of all time. I bought it way back in alpha and I almost feel guilty at how little I spent for all of the amazing hours I've spent in the game. Even my gf, who is not a gamer, enjoys watching me play it and even messing around in it herself sometimes. It may be a simple game and concept, but it sure has an allure that is rare with games today.

8 million sales and still going strong, I wonder how long it will be until 9 million sales?

Ranger X

Yeah, I have to agree. Minecraft has become one of my top five games of all time. I bought it way back in alpha and I almost feel guilty at how little I spent for all of the amazing hours I've spent in the game. Even my gf, who is not a gamer, enjoys watching me play it and even messing around in it herself sometimes. It may be a simple game and concept, but it sure has an allure that is rare with games today.

8 million sales and still going strong, I wonder how long it will be until 9 million sales?

Easily my "game of the generation" and it's one of the best game I've ever played too. I also bought it when it was alpha, it's at least 2 years I am playing this I think. And I can't stop, it's simply too fucking good. It's my "Wow" but without the monthly fee! Take that Blizzard!

-Minsc-

I honestly tried holding off on purchasing the game because I knew it would be addicting. Eventually I caved. Din't become "hardcore" until I started on NeoCraft back in February.

Enco

I loved Minecraft when I bought it a long time ago but I quickly grew bored.

I went through a phase of disliking the game, Notch and his attitude. It was incredibly boring to me. A few months ago I decided to check out where the game had gotten after a long long break and I was blown away. The hunger games servers started it all off and since then I have been playing a crap load.

Right now I would say it's in my top 10 games of all time and it's probably my most played one. My stats file has been wiped numerous times so I don't have a solid gameplay time but lately it has reached nearly 48 hours.

It's eclipsed TF2 as my preferred time-waster and surpassed SimCity as my sandbox game of choice.

And I'm only now getting into the mods and such. Been thinking about doing a FTB Single Player Let's Play as a sister series to my NeoCraft LP, but I have to wait for something first before I know if I can dedicate the time to it.

Sajjaja

I've had this game for a while but everytime I play it vanilla, I get bored after a while.

What mods do you recommend in order to instantly hook me?

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
I've had this game for a while but everytime I play it vanilla, I get bored after a while.

What mods do you recommend in order to instantly hook me?

The first mod I played was IndustrialCraft2. Adds a couple of extra tiers of technology (Your first steps will be building machines to double ore output and craft an electricity-using mining drill). If you managed to keep a spare copy of 1.2.5 and are of a technical mind (Or you have ever built something in redstone more complicated then an RS Latch), I would highly recommend Redpower 2. Or, perhaps you just want new terrain features to look at, in which I suggest giving ExtraBiomesXL a try.

Or, if you're like me and want to drown yourself in options, you can give a modpack launcher a try. Feed the Beast was just released and is running 1.4.2, although not all of the mods that will be in the final pack have been updated to 1.4.2 yet. The Technic Pack has more major content mods, but only runs Minecraft 1.2.5 as of this post. (As well as a huge bunch of drama between the mod pack maintainers and the mod authors :V )

Right now I'm starting over from scratch with Feed the Beast, and have added Optifine, Matmos, and Smart Moving, and I am loving it.

A word of warning, though: If this is your first time running mods, you WILL be overwhelmed. If you're using Feed the Beast, a good technique is to edit the default mod loadout and disable everything but NotEnoughItems, ChickenCore, MinecraftForge, and a single mod pack that you want to check out. Once in game, you can press E to open up NEI with your inventory, and see what new items the modpack you selected will provide. This way, you can learn a single mod at a time, without getting overwhelmed by the others.

Edit: If you want to import your old vanilla world into a modpack, your vanilla saves are located in %appdata%\.minecraft\saves\ . Technic stores its stuff in %appdata%\.techniclauncher I believe, and FTB will be located in a folder marked FTBBETAA wherever you ran the program at. KEEP A COPY OF YOUR SAVES IN YOUR VANILLA FOLDER IN CASE YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND.

Ranger X

I'm often tempted to use Optifine but can the "linked texture" feature be disabled? I actually want my glass to look like blocks...

Top Bottom