• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The first mod I played was IndustrialCraft2. Adds a couple of extra tiers of technology (Your first steps will be building machines to double ore output and craft an electricity-using mining drill). If you managed to keep a spare copy of 1.2.5 and are of a technical mind (Or you have ever built something in redstone more complicated then an RS Latch), I would highly recommend Redpower 2. Or, perhaps you just want new terrain features to look at, in which I suggest giving ExtraBiomesXL a try.

Right now I'm starting over from scratch with Feed the Beast, and have added Optifine, Matmos, and Smart Moving, and I am loving it.

Industrialcraft is great fun. Need to check out extra biomes.

We're currently running a tekkit server but am tempted to start over with FTB. Only concern is if they update regularly, will it affect the world. my kids would get pissed if we had to press the reset button again soon. Eg FTB doesn't have RP2 yet, so won't the world be missing necessary ores?

How do you add optifine to the client? One of our laptops needs the help.

Lastly, if you're cutting out mods, would you recommend keeping the server with the same mods, or let it load everything (so you at least have the world generated with ores ready etc)

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Industrialcraft is great fun. Need to check out extra biomes.

We're currently running a tekkit server but am tempted to start over with FTB. Only concern is if they update regularly, will it affect the world. my kids would get pissed if we had to press the reset button again soon. Eg FTB doesn't have RP2 yet, so won't the world be missing necessary ores?

How do you add optifine to the client? One of our laptops needs the help.

Lastly, if you're cutting out mods, would you recommend keeping the server with the same mods, or let it load everything (so you at least have the world generated with ores ready etc)

They've stated that people won't need to 'start over', implying the block IDs will be the same. As for missing ores, you are absolutely right, unless forge has figured out a way to magically generate resources after a chunk is created. It's not AS huge as a problem as it could be, since the Gregtech mod generates rubies, sapphires, and silver already, and the Forge Ore dictionary will allow you to use them for RP2 recipies when it's released. As for Emeralds and Nikolite, you'll have to generate new chunks after RP2 is installed, or cutting out undeveloped chunks.

After downloading the latest 1.4.2 of Optifine, go to the launcher, click on the Modpacks tab, then click 'Edit Mod packs'. Click on the Jarmods tab, and then 'Add Mods'.

I'd recommend using the default mod loadout for the server. Anything you add to the server will require each client that connects to have the same mod loaded.

Anyways, before you commit to anything, just give the pack a download and play around with it. Generate a huge world. Build a Buildcraft quarry, let it run, and see if the ratio of ore you get looks right. Poll the players you have and see if they're interested.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They've stated that people won't need to 'start over', implying the block IDs will be the same. As for missing ores, you are absolutely right, unless forge has figured out a way to magically generate resources after a chunk is created. It's not AS huge as a problem as it could be, since the Gregtech mod generates rubies, sapphires, and silver already, and the Forge Ore dictionary will allow you to use them for RP2 recipies when it's released. As for Emeralds and Nikolite, you'll have to generate new chunks after RP2 is installed, or cutting out undeveloped chunks.

After downloading the latest 1.4.2 of Optifine, go to the launcher, click on the Modpacks tab, then click 'Edit Mod packs'. Click on the Jarmods tab, and then 'Add Mods'.

I'd recommend using the default mod loadout for the server. Anything you add to the server will require each client that connects to have the same mod loaded.

Anyways, before you commit to anything, just give the pack a download and play around with it. Generate a huge world. Build a Buildcraft quarry, let it run, and see if the ratio of ore you get looks right. Poll the players you have and see if they're interested.

Thanks, really useful info.

How do mods impact server performance? I'm running a small server on a Mac mini, but its used for HTPC purposes too so don't want it bogged down. It's got 8GB so I can reserve memory for it if needed, mainly concerned about CPU.

I'm guessing that clients can use a subset right? So if the server is using all 38, the client could just use eg 15 and that'd be ok?

Anybody else having issues with WASD inputs getting sticky? Just uncontrollably walked into a lava lake and lost all kinds of goodies.

Happens to me all the time. I just hold in the opposite direction and just release it occasionally to see if it has stopped. I only play on the server so no idea if it happens to me in single player or not.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
1.4.4 meant to be out tomorrow.

Does it fix the awful black shadows?
Ugh. I hate those. Especially the one on the side of my castle that keeps coming back every time the chunk is reloaded even when I get rid of it.

Anybody else having issues with WASD inputs getting sticky? Just uncontrollably walked into a lava lake and lost all kinds of goodies.
Install Optifine. It fixes this problem. I haven't had it happen since I started using it.

Enco

Ugh. I hate those. Especially the one on the side of my castle that keeps coming back every time the chunk is reloaded even when I get rid of it.

Install Optifine. It fixes this problem. I haven't had it happen since I started using it.
Yup.

It sucks big time.

I'm having a lot of out of memory errors since using the FTB mod loader. I disabled everything apart from biomesxl and added my own mods. It's easy but I don't like having to open it to launch MC.

I'll go back to the vanilla MC with a modded jar after the update tomorrow.

Oh and what will be the latest version forge for 1.4.4?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Godamn, did they massivly reduce the time it takes your items to de-spawn when you die? I died at night, waited inside until morning, went out to get my stuff and it was gone

Ranger X

Godamn, did they massivly reduce the time it takes your items to de-spawn when you die? I died at night, waited inside until morning, went out to get my stuff and it was gone

until morning? That sounds long. The items are staying there like maximum 5mins, probably a tad less. They might have despawned riiiiiight before you got them back.

defel

Its always been 5 minutes. If your items are in an unloaded chunk then they will stay there forever until the chunk is loaded.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Thanks, really useful info.

How do mods impact server performance? I'm running a small server on a Mac mini, but its used for HTPC purposes too so don't want it bogged down. It's got 8GB so I can reserve memory for it if needed, mainly concerned about CPU.

I'm guessing that clients can use a subset right? So if the server is using all 38, the client could just use eg 15 and that'd be ok?

All I can say for certain is that the more mods you have, the slower it will go. Each major content mod has their own 'energy grid' or resource calculator that will generate more overhead, but that only starts occuring the more of that mod's blocks you put in. Many mods also feature 'chunk loader' blocks that will permanently keep a chunk loaded in memory and running calculations.

As to whether it will run on a Mac Mini, I wouldn't know. If it runs MC decently, It should be able to run a few mods, but slower.

Yup.

It sucks big time.

I'm having a lot of out of memory errors since using the FTB mod loader. I disabled everything apart from biomesxl and added my own mods. It's easy but I don't like having to open it to launch MC.

I'll go back to the vanilla MC with a modded jar after the update tomorrow.

Oh and what will be the latest version forge for 1.4.4?

Under the Options tab, there is a place to define how much memory is allocated for Minecraft. Try 1024 min and 2048 max for starters. (1Gig and 2 Gig)

Although I will agree that the best option is to just use a modded jar file, if you're running just one or two mods and don't plan to run more.

Edit: Looks like Forge Build 6.3.0.360 and up is for MC 1.4.4

Chuckpebble

Not here on my iMac. I have played the game on a laptop before and experienced the "sticky keys".

Yes. It only happens to me in Windows XP, in single player. Don't have the issue on my Snow Leopard machine at home. I've noticed it happens a lot in 1.4.2, which I jumped right into after not playing for a while back in 1.3.5 I think it was. I also installed optifine recently, because I had prevalent invisible chunks. That helped with lots of performance issues but didn't make the sticky keys any better or worse. I mean, as best I can tell from a random problem anyway.

Just wondered if there was some fix out there.

I get lost rifling through all of the options this adds. Is there a setting in particular that you think affects my issue?

Enco

Under the Options tab, there is a place to define how much memory is allocated for Minecraft. Try 1024 min and 2048 max for starters. (1Gig and 2 Gig)

Although I will agree that the best option is to just use a modded jar file, if you're running just one or two mods and don't plan to run more.

Edit: Looks like Forge Build 6.3.0.360 and up is for MC 1.4.4
Yea I only have a few mods.

Will try that.

New update is up now!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes. It only happens to me in Windows XP, in single player. Don't have the issue on my Snow Leopard machine at home. I've noticed it happens a lot in 1.4.2, which I jumped right into after not playing for a while back in 1.3.5 I think it was. I also installed optifine recently, because I had prevalent invisible chunks. That helped with lots of performance issues but didn't make the sticky keys any better or worse. I mean, as best I can tell from a random problem anyway.

Just wondered if there was some fix out there.

I get lost rifling through all of the options this adds. Is there a setting in particular that you think affects my issue?
Can't seem to find the place I saw the option now. I wonder if it was "fixed" in 1.4.2 or something and the option was removed. I Googled and it turned up someone mentioning Optifine but a bunch of people talking about updating LWJGL. So try that if you can.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sooooo... 1.4.4 has a really silly bug...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJj0ZcbFJtg (Not my video)

How does something like this happen? It's such an odd problem. Like where does it come from? Hopefully it's fixed soon. Jeb and Dinnerbone didn't say anything about it on Twitter so they may not know about it yet. But I don't know how they didn't notice it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And they say Apple fanboys are crazy. And the music part was cool. Reminds me of my overpopulated village with 80 villagers all crammed into a 3x3 roof party waiting for me to finish building their new houses. (Started out as a normal village. I built a wall around it. Protected them from the environment. Gave them the tools to breed. And let them get a little carried away. Now all they do is party 24/7 on top of a single house.)

kennah

And they say Apple fanboys are crazy. And the music part was cool. Reminds me of my overpopulated village with 80 villagers all crammed into a 3x3 roof party waiting for me to finish building their new houses. (Started out as a normal village. I built a wall around it. Protected them from the environment. Gave them the tools to breed. And let them get a little carried away. Now all they do is party 24/7 on top of a single house.)

Reminds me of that party that has been going on for generations in Hitchhiker's Guide.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Reminds me of that party that has been going on for generations in Hitchhiker's Guide.
Yes. That too. I'm experimenting on a backup copy of my server world to see how villagers act. I started by breaking a fence on the roof. All of them poured out like water and stood around confused as to what happened. Then started to disperse around the general area. There were about 5 remaining houses from the old village I left up for now until I finish the new houses I'm building for them so when the sun went down they all started using them. So now I've destroyed all resemblance of a house only leaving the new houses (Which are about 30-40 meters away) and am waiting for sundown again to see what their AI decides is a house this time.

Fake edit: Whoa. I just switched back to MC and they are all, including the 5 Golems that spawned themselves, crowding outside my new houses having a meeting waiting for the sun to set. Brilliant. My hard work in renewing this village will pay off when the time comes. I just have to get around to building the rest of the houses. And it seems I have more than 80 villagers. I can't get an accurate count though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I liked how somebody used villagers as a day/night detector to switch lights on. They basically trapped a villager in a tiny house with a wall around it, and had a pressure plate inside the house so that when it was night the villager would go into the house and activate the pressure plate which switched stuff on

I liked how somebody used villagers as a day/night detector to switch lights on. They basically trapped a villager in a tiny house with a wall around it, and had a pressure plate inside the house so that when it was night the villager would go into the house and activate the pressure plate which switched stuff on

I... what...

That's brilliant!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, it's pretty smart. I'd been thinking of doing that too at some point. It does seem to be reliable enough as they always go inside at night. But I just have no use for it at this point. But I will find a use. It'd be nice if we had an official sensor though.

Edit: One of my Golems killed an Enderman but is now stuck in his "kill" mode and keeps swinging his arms with a swoosh every 3 seconds. He doesn't realize the Enderman is gone. Bug!!!! (Logging off fixes it)

Also, I just traded 91 books for 7 emeralds. I kinda hate that they limited the trade amount to 7 now. Shame. I had so much wheat that I was hoping to trade it all one day when I discovered the limit.

Ranger X

Sooooo... 1.4.4 has a really silly bug...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJj0ZcbFJtg (Not my video)

How does something like this happen? It's such an odd problem. Like where does it come from? Hopefully it's fixed soon. Jeb and Dinnerbone didn't say anything about it on Twitter so they may not know about it yet. But I don't know how they didn't notice it.

Well, there was fixes concerning or touching the particle system and torches lately. It's easy to cause some "everyday bug" like that. Also, from our stand point its extremely hard to tell what can exactly cause it let alone if we have the right configuration. Almost all the bugs corrected in 1.4.4 were not happening on my machine and config. That's the biggest headache for PC games devs really. Debugging is a nightmare trust me.

defel

If you guys want day night sensors then an alternative to using the villagers is to use the BUD switch night/day sensor (search youtube for some videos). Basically whenever the grass grows on a dirt block it updates an adjacent piston which then emits a signal to whatever you like. If you line up several of these next to eachother you can increase the reliability.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't trust BUD switches. To me they seem like bugs that could break at any moment. Unless they're purposefully left alone by Jeb and Dinnerbone. I just don't trust them. They don't seem official and seem more like glitches.

The Villager method utilizes features that are meant to be in the game. I'd trust them over a BUD switch.

Unless Mojang gives a written letter stating that BUD switches will always work and never be removed.

Rhyvven

Neo Member
Survival Single player-----player, here. Anyone have a "fix" for red stone switches/circuits randomly ceasing to function? Googled it a couple times but no definitive answers and most are answered for creative mode. I have had it happen a few times where it functions for many game sessions (on a trapdoor drawbridge first time) then triggering switch does nothing. Occasionally I was able to clear the red stone dust and place it back and it worked again.

Recently I have built a nice castle fortress with a gate that goes up and down via sticky pistons and red stone circuits/repeaters. Worked for a few sessions and now damn switch does nothing when activating. Tried to remove and place many of the parts again to no effect.

Oddly enough it never has failed on a door activated by red stone and a button. But on anything more "complicated" it has failed.The drawbridge actually corrected itself a couple of times after logging out of game and then it worked the next time I played without doing anything (but then broke so many times I removed it).

Really love my working gate, so I hope to get it working again.

Enco

Playing without MAtmos is impossible. I tried it and almost fell asleep.

In other news, 1.4.5 pre-release is out. They're cranking out the updates now. I think I'll stick with 1.4.4 for a while until all mods update to 1.4.5.

Anustart

In other news, 1.4.5 pre-release is out. They're cranking out the updates now. I think I'll stick with 1.4.4 for a while until all mods update to 1.4.5.

Thanks for mentioning Matmos! I'd never heard of it, but it seems like it would create a better atmosphere for the game, will definitely install.

Enco

Thanks for mentioning Matmos! I'd never heard of it, but it seems like it would create a better atmosphere for the game, will definitely install.
Definitely give it a shot.

My favorite mod. I can't understand why the devs don't add even simple wind sounds. Even that would make the game not mind numbingly boring to explore.

Started a new world with Custom NPCs (for a village build), Rei's minimap, Useful foods and Iron chests.

Thought the mini map would ruin exploration but it has mad the game a lot more fun and less frustrating. The Useful foods mod adds a ton of new awesome fun foods and iron chests are just a small upgrade that let you build attractive bigger chests.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I assume 1.4.5 will fix the particle problem. I wish it would also fix the way paintings are removed from walls. And if only we could have a painting chooser UI. And a way to host custom paintings that everyone sees much like our custom skins.

That was weird. All day I've been getting 503 errors when trying to join NeoCraft. So I tried updating... Server outdated... Rolled back the .jar and bam, got right in. lolwut.

That was weird. All day I've been getting 503 errors when trying to join NeoCraft. So I tried updating... Server outdated... Rolled back the .jar and bam, got right in. lolwut.

The session servers have been messed up pretty much all day. It was luck of the draw if you were able to get in. If you ever have a problem again then check this link first :-

http://xpaw.ru/mcstatus/

That tells you the state of all the various Minecraft servers that are needed for you to just get into the game.

Hey NeoCraft,

Since it's almost American Thanksgiving, I thought I'd leave something at spawn for everyone:

j5BLF.png

Please remember to take just one of each :) I'll leave it up until Saturday and then I'll come collect the leftovers.

Nyoh my gawd.

Efficiency V pick + Haste II beacon buff = EXPLODING STONE.

In the last 30 min I've cleared more out of Domepolis that I have in the last week.

Only thing is that, even with Unbreaking III, your pick dies 4x faster LOL.

Time to make the Enderman grinder /home

Edit:
tguq8.jpg

All by myself with the beacon... If we had an army of people with Eff V picks, Domepolis will be dug out within a week!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

is matmos a client side mod? We've switched our family server to a vanilla minecraft one from tekkit and I'm enjoying the relative simplicity, but really missing the sound effects

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Nyoh my gawd.

Efficiency V pick + Haste II beacon buff = EXPLODING STONE.

In the last 30 min I've cleared more out of Domepolis that I have in the last week.

Only thing is that, even with Unbreaking III, your pick dies 4x faster LOL.

Time to make the Enderman grinder /home

Edit:
tguq8.jpg

All by myself with the beacon... If we had an army of people with Eff V picks, Domepolis will be dug out within a week!

Wow, that's quite a hole you have there Artist. I haven't messed with beacons at all yet, honestly I haven't even seen a wither witch yet either. I need to play more often, lol.

-Minsc-

Wow, that's quite a hole you have there Artist. I haven't messed with beacons at all yet, honestly I haven't even seen a wither witch yet either. I need to play more often, lol.

If anyone wants to get together to hunt down some wither skeletons so we can spawn a wither boss I'm all for it.

Top Bottom