• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Enco

is matmos a client side mod? We've switched our family server to a vanilla minecraft one from tekkit and I'm enjoying the relative simplicity, but really missing the sound effects
Yup. Client side.

The game is beautiful with shaders (mostly). It's glitchy and knocks my frame rate down from around 150-250 to 30-60 though. Not worth the trade but it's nice.

iKExWwcE1vplw.png

idndaKtzeCmU7.png

-Minsc-

Are we going to confine it or what? I dread fighting that thing in the open.

I do have plans to build a Wither Skeleton spawning farm. At that location is a nether portal which leads to a very remote location on the overworld. Fighting the boss out in the open will be a blast. :D I'd be interested in seeing that location used for repeated battles and the evolving destruction that follows.

I do have plans to build a Wither Skeleton spawning farm. At that location is a nether portal which leads to a very remote location on the overworld. Fighting the boss out in the open will be a blast. :D I'd be interested in seeing that location used for repeated battles and the evolving destruction that follows.

Will the creeper damage prevention stop the wither damage or is it just confined to creepers? If its just creeper damage then lets do this.

MackVee

Neo Member
Wither damage is on...I cheekily spawned one under Domepolis not that long ago. Super easy though, maybe spawn multiples at once. That'd be fun.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think wither damage may be a separate thing from creeper damage. We have creeper damage off, but don't Ghasts cause damage in the Nether still?
Ghast damage is nothing and is expected when you're in the Nether where you're supposed to adapt and build to protect yourself.

Wither's can blast through any block in the entire game excluding bedrock, which is the only block you can't really pick up and use anyway. Spawn one in the real world and you better hope you're nowhere near any structures. I'd rather have an option to turn his damage off. Kill me if he must, but don't destroy my world.

I'd do the battle with a Wither in a nice set aside are in the Nether anyway. Where it doesn't really matter much.

-Minsc-

Ghast damage is nothing and is expected when you're in the Nether where you're supposed to adapt and build to protect yourself.

Wither's can blast through any block in the entire game excluding bedrock, which is the only block you can't really pick up and use anyway. Spawn one in the real world and you better hope you're nowhere near any structures. I'd rather have an option to turn his damage off. Kill me if he must, but don't destroy my world.

I'd do the battle with a Wither in a nice set aside are in the Nether anyway. Where it doesn't really matter much.

This is why we plan to fight it somewhere out of the way. ;) The only way it could harm any structures is if it's lead across a large body of water.

What's up in Neocraft seriously?

I haven't been in there for like 3 days and this thread also didn't move!

I've been extremely busy, for the most part. I recorded Ep. 37 this past weekend and I probably won't get to touching 38 until Sunday (I recorded a super-extended cold open after finishing recording for 37), not to mention all I've really been doing lately is gathering resources for my next build and working on my "power armor".

-Minsc-

I could post play-play updates of my shenanigans on NeoCraft but that just takes away from my limited Minecraft playtime.

Currently I'm working on filling on of the domes in Neolantis.

Xun

Yup. Client side.

The game is beautiful with shaders (mostly). It's glitchy and knocks my frame rate down from around 150-250 to 30-60 though. Not worth the trade but it's nice.
Looks great!

Also what texture pack is that?

Ranger X

I could post play-play updates of my shenanigans on NeoCraft but that just takes away from my limited Minecraft playtime.

Currently I'm working on filling on of the domes in Neolantis.

I suppose you guys will have a shitload of cobble right?
I would need that for my mob grinder. I feel like building one (double grinder, loot and xp, like on my single player world)

I've been out-of-town visiting family so haven't had time to get on the server. :-( Then when I get back on Sunday I've got a test to study for so no Neocraft. :-(

I've been out-of-town visiting family so haven't had time to get on the server. :-( Then when I get back on Sunday I've got a test to study for so no Neocraft. :-(

Glad you are OK heard about that humongous car crash in your area. Something like 100 car pile up wasn't it ? My first thought was "hm hope Crazy wasn't involved in that" oddly enough Dryuriev's first thought was "wonder if Crazy was robbing the injured". That is nothing compared to Xun who never had a first thought cos he was still trying to finish his last thought (we love ya really man ..... manly love that is).

Anyway I finished the crater bowl, it took a month to do but it is all finished. So now it is all hands to the axe to clear the crater out.

Cheers for the link to the minecon stream Enco. Jesus I feel so damn old watching that, Jeb is doing a Q&A and most of the people asking questions are barely out of diapers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why is my minecraft showing new things - potatoes, item frames, flower pots etc as plain purple blobs (and invisible in the inventory)?

makes it really difficult to tell when potatoes are ready to harvest

Ranger X

why is my minecraft showing new things - potatoes, item frames, flower pots etc as plain purple blobs (and invisible in the inventory)?

makes it really difficult to tell when potatoes are ready to harvest

Minecraft doesn't do that for me. Looks like its your texture pack.

With the latest update to the iOS version, what will be missing compared to the PC version?

hmm, you only have a basic survival mode there. It's too long to enumerate what you'd miss. I'd say something near 50% of the game features and gameplay.

:/

1.5 is going to be a Redstone Update, and apparently, the day of reckoning for BUD switches is closer and closer at hand. Lots of changes to redstone and minecarts in the update, too. Seems as though chest carts will become the equivalent of Buildcraft's pipes. No new mobs in 1.5; maybe a new ore for use in creating advanced redstone machines.

Ranger X

1.5 is going to be a Redstone Update, and apparently, the day of reckoning for BUD switches is closer and closer at hand. Lots of changes to redstone and minecarts in the update, too. Seems as though chest carts will become the equivalent of Buildcraft's pipes. No new mobs in 1.5; maybe a new ore for use in creating advanced redstone machines.

That sounds great. You should have posted the link

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So are BUD switches being "fixed"? And will there be any replacements for the important ones? Like light sensors or day/night sensors, the ability for a furnace to output a redstone current when lit, etc? I also hope they don't fix T-Flip Flop switches without providing a single craftable block alternative. Those things are so useful, but a single block that performs the same thing would be amazing.

So are BUD switches being "fixed"? And will there be any replacements for the important ones? Like light sensors or day/night sensors, the ability for a furnace to output a redstone current when lit, etc? I also hope they don't fix T-Flip Flop switches without providing a single craftable block alternative. Those things are so useful, but a single block that performs the same thing would be amazing.

Seems like they're tweaking things with them and there's rumors of a day/night sensor, but that can't be confirmed yet. And I think T-flops will be alright. There's a super-compact one that's not available as of 1.4 that uses the locked repeater as the toggle.

Jeb said that everything he's build still works, but who knows exactly what that means right now. I'm wondering if there will be another way to construct something that will work like a BUD (outside of the day/night sensors, which you could conceivably do with a dark room, sensor and a furnace).

-Minsc-

Some sort of API business.

API Questions:

When will the Mod API be released?
The API will be going live with the 1.5, which has a tenative release date of January, 2013.
Will mods have the ability to modify text?
Mods can have config files that, when initialized, will be able to dynamically print text in a variety of ways.
Will mods like Optifine (which modify the engine directly) be supported?
The API will eliminate the need to write to the engine directly, allowing modifications that affect the game (as any mod will), without altering the game code itself. Among other things, this will greatly simplify mod installation.
Can vanilla block behavior be modified?
Yes.
Will there be official community resources (tutorials, forums, etc) for modders?
Yes.
How will mods be distributed by modders, and downloaded by players?
Players will be able to download mods from the game client itself.
Will the API be able to add new mobs to the game through mods?
Yes. Additionally, it will be possible to modify animated blocks (water, lava) as well as custom animated blocks.
Will the API be like Bukkit (an outside resource)?
No, the API will be integrated into the vanilla game, hopefully bypassing the need for exernal APIs.
Will client-only mods be supported by the API?
Not at this time, but as the biggest client-only modifications are already covered (texture packs, splash screen text etc), it didn't seem necessary.
Will the API remove the issue of mods being rendered inoperable when the game updates?
It is a target we want to hit for certain, but it won't really have that capability at launch, we don't believe.
Will mods need to be re-written from the ground up with the API's release?
While mods will need to be changed to accommodate the API, total overhauls shouldn't be necessary. Even if a mod requires an overhaul for the API, it would only be a one-time occurrance.
Will there be any sort of content filter?
By and large, the community will police its own mods as it does now, but we are working to put a system in place to prevent malicious mods from being distributed.
What can be modified in the game using the API?
Everything.
Can the phsyics be modded?
Yes.
Will the API be on the XBOX or Pocket Edition?
Not by us, but you can ask the developers of each game, respectively.

Minecraft Questions:
Will mods like Optfine be added to vanilla?
Something even better. Overall, the game engine is being simplified, taking most of the load off of the client, and having the server doing the heavy work, greatly improving SMP.
Smoothstone stairs are not planned.
No new mobs are planned.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ooh, can't wait. Sitting on a vanilla server at the moment so will avoid starting up a new mode server for a while, see what comes out in 1.5

I'd love a simpler permission system. Just let me add people by name and say what they can or can't do. I only have a tiny server and big ass permissions are tricky for me to understand

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Please don't push it back again. Please don't push it back again. Please don't push it back again. Please don't push it back again.

What I really want is for the vanilla game to be optimized enough that I don't actually need Optifine. Especially since I haven't had clouds in my game for the past few months worth of Optifine versions. I don't understand why. They are just gone, and no, it's not the setting to turn them off. They're just gone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just want to be able to browse through a mod database like a browser extension database and pick and choose what to use and have it download for me with no need to browse my minecraft support folder. I wonder how server side mods will work. There's no GUI on the server side out of the box. Would be nice if there was. I'd rather have an app I can place in my startup items and have launch automatically when opened so if my server computer gets powered off it'll restart by itself when the power comes back. Right now I use the Terminal manually. A first party wrapper with mod downloading support would be peachy keen, Avril Lavigne.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just want to be able to browse through a mod database like a browser extension database and pick and choose what to use and have it download for me with no need to browse my minecraft support folder. I wonder how server side mods will work. There's no GUI on the server side out of the box. Would be nice if there was. I'd rather have an app I can place in my startup items and have launch automatically when opened so if my server computer gets powered off it'll restart by itself when the power comes back. Right now I use the Terminal manually. A first party wrapper with mod downloading support would be peachy keen, Avril Lavigne.

I'd love a simple GUI for the server. On mac it's just the jar file. I use mcmyadmin to at least get a basic web server front end for it

Ranger X

OMG no wonder it takes times to do the API...

I mean holyshit, that will be the best thing ever, no game ever did that. Minecraft will become a completely editable game without any need of coding? Holyshit, if this is true I wonder if you guys realise...

Color me impressed Mojang. Not sure I believe! (but I want to!)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OMG no wonder it takes times to do the API...

I mean holyshit, that will be the best thing ever, no game ever did that. Minecraft will become a completely editable game without any need of coding? Holyshit, if this is true I wonder if you guys realise...

Color me impressed Mojang. Not sure I believe! (but I want to!)

Mods are already capable of doing pretty amazing stuff in minecraft. Hopefully this makes them easier to develop and keep up to date, and easier to use for us players

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'd love a simple GUI for the server. On mac it's just the jar file. I use mcmyadmin to at least get a basic web server front end for it
Agreed. I used to use a wrapper, but I'd love an official Mac wrapper with an option to autostart on launch so I could put it in my startup items and not have to manually start it from the plain text Terminal. As well as the "Mod store" that the client will get so I can make sure I have all the same mods downloaded at a glance as I want on my client end. I can't see why they can't make one. They have a Mac side application for the launcher. Why not one for the server? Time for an overhaul.

Who knows what's coming. I assume even if we don't have a server frontend, we'll still be able to download and install mods using a simple drag and drop interface to drop the files into a folder with the JAR file. That's what I'm hoping for. Braindead simple modding that requires no JAR modifying or text editing. As well as pre-checking before updating to make sure the newly released MC version available works with the current mods you have. And eventually having mods not have to worry about versions. I want mods on MC to be as braindead simple as Chrome extensions. Check a box to install. And automatic updating without worry.

Mods are already capable of doing pretty amazing stuff in minecraft. Hopefully this makes them easier to develop and keep up to date, and easier to use for us players
With less block ID conflicts, i.e. when two mods add new blocks that both happen to share block ID's and you can't install both mods at once.

-Minsc-

Ha.

9h Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone
@CptSticky because they heard it from a friend. Rumours spread easily, no matter how silly they are
View conversation

@justin_ernest_c the official pack will be as it is now.
View conversation

@EnzerDeLeo read my last tweets. 1.5 is January ish, not the api
View conversation

11h Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone
And whatever you heard in some video or some forum post somewhere, we have no plans to ever stop developing vanilla.
Expand

Stuff like HD textures and animated textures are separate from the api and will be in 1.5
Expand

I'm not sure where people are getting this from, but we never said that the API is in 1.5 in either of our panels (1.5 one or API one)
Expand

Top Bottom