• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Mods are already capable of doing pretty amazing stuff in minecraft. Hopefully this makes them easier to develop and keep up to date, and easier to use for us players

I know and this is not what is interesting about the API. What's interesting is that it sounds like the first mod tool everybody could use. Like LittleBigPlanet piss easy. This could be a major feature and a first for a PC game really. And with the popularity of Minecraft it could work extremely well and fuel life into the game for a decade! I mean, it could easily give some World of Warcraft type of very long legs to the game.

Anyhow, I am excited to see it all happen. It's too interesting to ignore. I also fear for my own life already, I might just be messing around in this tool forever...
(oh wait, I don't have a life! yay!! )

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Probably means native support for texture packs modifying water, lava and larger than 16x16 or 32x32 without a mod. Currently you need Optifine or MCPatcher to allow for modified water and lava and larger HD textures.

I hope they implement more than just that from Optifine natively. Like Better Grass (Grass down the sides) with support for smoother transitioning from solid side grass to partial grass. And maybe joined textures stock out of the box. I'd love for Painterly to offer options for that stuff if it were native. Especially if I could get a 32x32 Painterly. The 16x16 looks so good. 32x32 would be awesome.

I actually hate BetterGrass and would not like to see it implemented - at least, not as a mandatory change. Looks tacky, honestly, especially in situations where you have a grass block that goes down one block on one side, triggering the mod, but two blocks on the other, not triggering the mod.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I suppose it means that any block can receive an animated texture. Else why even mention the thing?
Animated textures are lava and water. As well as purple portal goo. I doubt they'll add support for other textures to be animated.

I actually hate BetterGrass and would not like to see it implemented - at least, not as a mandatory change. Looks tacky, honestly, especially in situations where you have a grass block that goes down one block on one side, triggering the mod, but two blocks on the other, not triggering the mod.
Which is why I said they could modify it to smooth the transition out to make it less jarring. Of course it'd be optional.

Gav

I have spent so much time on the 360 version with my fiancee.

So last night i finally caved and bought the PC version. Was good to know how a lot of things worked before jumping in. Lots of new things to learn though.

I think im going to lose a lot of time to this. Will jump onto Neocraft at some point, so i can say hello!

When is Neocraft updating to 1.4.5?

Whenever there is a "recommended" version of Bukkit for 1.4.5 . The server updating is out of our hands. No one really knows when the Bukkit team will release a "recommended" release it could be tomorrow or several weeks from now :

EDIT

Typical I do a "god knows when it will update" and just tried to login now and you have to update to 1.4.5. So Neocraft is now running 1.4.5. Oh god that means I have to update the mods I use ............. I can't be arsed.

Whenever there is a "recommended" version of Bukkit for 1.4.5 . The server updating is out of our hands. No one really knows when the Bukkit team will release a "recommended" release it could be tomorrow or several weeks from now :

EDIT

Typical I do a "god knows when it will update" and just tried to login now and you have to update to 1.4.5. So Neocraft is now running 1.4.5. Oh god that means I have to update the mods I use ............. I can't be arsed.

What are you doing posting? You need to get back to digging, that hole won't dig itself!

What are you doing posting? You need to get back to digging, that hole won't dig itself!

Screw the hole .......................... OK that sounded "better" in my head than it looks on the board. I have to update Rei's minimap I can't live without that, then I need to see if there is a working Optifine to make Minecraft run less like crap and then need to see if the texture pack I use has been updated so my eyes don't bleed whilst playing minecraft and then I have to remove all the "don't use item frames" messages. Then after that I got to pointlessly pedal for an hour on me exercise bike going nowhere. My life is just a mile a minute aint it :p

Just in case anyone is wondering about what hole me and Xeno are referring to, it is this hole :-

JmGSV.jpg

As you can see the lining is all done, now me and a small band of merry men and Mackroid are now clearing the crater out.

It is all legit and I think it was actually a while before artistdude decided to play with a beacon and we all became fond of them. So most of that was done without beacons. I could be wrong though as I have shunned plowing through charlie's hole for one of my own. Now that sounds better on the board AND in my head.

Taffer

Jumped onto Neocraft for the first time in weeks, walked away from my house and crashed. Lightweight Java Game Library, Optifine & Rei's minimap (the only mods I'm using) are all up to date, can anyone think of something I may have missed? I've had this issue on and off since 1.4 was released, I want to turn my shed full of chests into a house dagnabbit.

Beacons for life! I hope Haste II never gets nerfed when paired with Eff V. Wish I could help, but I'm on an old laptop that can't get above 10FPS atm.

@Taffer, are you getting an error crash, or game just stopping?

Can try deleting your MC and starting vanilla, see if it still crashes. Then, one by one, add mods and test. Might help you find the culprit if it's a mod.

Gav

Just had a couple of hours on NeoCraft for the first time. The combination of the insane world thats been built, and those within it will definitely have me back. Too often probably.

Just in case anyone is wondering about what hole me and Xeno are referring to, it is this hole :-

http://i.imgur.com/JmGSV.jpg[IMG]

As you can see the lining is all done, now me and a small band of merry men and Mackroid are now clearing the crater out.[/QUOTE]

I was mightily impressed with this hole.

Enco

I'm running this game vanilla. What mods would you guys recommend?
MAtmos is a must.
MoCreatures is also great to breathe more life into the game.
Rei's Minimap makes adventuring less frustrating.
UsefulFood adds awesome stuff like sandwiches, marshmallows and fruit salads

The above are probably the best.

TerraFirmaCraft is a new one I've just downloaded but yet to get into. Meant to make the game a lot harder and seems pretty fun. Ruins is a cool mod for more buildings and temples to explore. Haven't spent much time on it though.

For 99% of mods you need Forge. Download the recommended version from here, open up your minecraft.jar in the bin folder and delete META-INF. Copy over the files from forge into minecraft.jar. There are plenty of videos and instructions in each mod thread so you shouldn't have any trouble. Forge is the only thing that takes a few minutes to set up.

Ranger X

MAtmos is a must.
MoCreatures is also great to breathe more life into the game.
Rei's Minimap makes adventuring less frustrating.
UsefulFood adds awesome stuff like sandwiches, marshmallows and fruit salads

The above are probably the best.

TerraFirmaCraft is a new one I've just downloaded but yet to get into. Meant to make the game a lot harder and seems pretty fun. Ruins is a cool mod for more buildings and temples to explore. Haven't spent much time on it though.

For 99% of mods you need Forge. Download the recommended version from here, open up your minecraft.jar in the bin folder and delete META-INF. Copy over the files from forge into minecraft.jar. There are plenty of videos and instructions in each mod thread so you shouldn't have any trouble. Forge is the only thing that takes a few minutes to set up.

Good God. You seems to have taste for great mods apparently. I love most the stuff you suggest there as it mostly compliment the game and pushes it a little further instead of CHANGING the game. That's exactly what I love.

I can't wait however that all of this stuff happens through their incredible mod API in the making or that I fix all that jazz myself. Right now I can't be bothered making tons of mods work together.

Enco

Good God. You seems to have taste for great mods apparently. I love most the stuff you suggest there as it mostly compliment the game and pushes it a little further instead of CHANGING the game. That's exactly what I love.

I can't wait however that all of this stuff happens through their incredible mod API in the making or that I fix all that jazz myself. Right now I can't be bothered making tons of mods work together.
Haha :p

Totally agree. The mod API will be brilliant when it's out. I hope we get even better mods. Automatic updates and no jar editing = amazing.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sounds good but no rush. I too have been quite busy so its understandable. In fact because of the steam sale I haven't gotten on to minecraft in a week... for shame.

Yeah, I bought a few games from the steam sale that I haven't even tried out yet. Only Civ 5 Gods & Kings got any playtime at all.

I need a day just to sit at home and play games all day long...

Yeah, I bought a few games from the steam sale that I haven't even tried out yet. Only Civ 5 Gods & Kings got any playtime at all.

I need a day just to sit at home and play games all day long...

That's my play tomorrow. Minecraft and Torchlight 2 then when the kids go to sleep Dark Souls or Witcher.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Now that we've had 256 heights for a while I really wish they'd make the Nether more like a real hell, but instead of all caves, give it a sky of its own and different biomes. But hellish versions of them. Basically make it like the real world with its own biomes like mountainous ones, forests of dead, rivers of lava. Make some biomes where it does actually go all the way to the ceiling and is filled with caves.

Right now the Nether is the old default 128. It could look so much better. You can actually build on top of the Nether for another 128. It's such a waste of space that could be used for something so awesome.

I'd gladly delete my Nether on my family server and start over if they completely changed it like that.

Alternatively, use the entirety of the 256 height. Generate mountains on the bottom and mountains on the top and have few places where the two planes meet, but mostly have it wide open.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can someone help me figure out a tree farm plan? I need to know the specifics for each tree type growing. How much room each one needs, how to prevent the larger bulky ones if possible. If possible keep them low enough to axe without needing to use dirt to reach the top.

I won't be using bonemeal all the time. I want them just growing on their own.

Ranger X

Can someone help me figure out a tree farm plan? I need to know the specifics for each tree type growing. How much room each one needs, how to prevent the larger bulky ones if possible. If possible keep them low enough to axe without needing to use dirt to reach the top.

I won't be using bonemeal all the time. I want them just growing on their own.

I personally leave at the very least 5 blocks between each. The more light there is the more they grow. If you want to avoid some of those larger tree, don't leave more than 8 blocks high in your growing room. Lastly, all trees grow under the same conditions + boneheal is too good, dunno why you don't want it...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I personally leave at the very least 5 blocks between each. The more light there is the more they grow. If you want to avoid some of those larger tree, don't leave more than 8 blocks high in your growing room. Lastly, all trees grow under the same conditions + boneheal is too good, dunno why you don't want it...
Well, what's the point of having a farm if you're just going to grow it immediately anyway and chop it down? You might as well just go outside and plant a few quickies and be done with it whenever you need wood.

It's about the looks really.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
For those who (if any) were in my cavern/dungeon and logged out.. I destroyed all the candles sooo... you're in the dark now
---

We need a name for this massive thing... Neo mines of moria? =3

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well, what's the point of having a farm if you're just going to grow it immediately anyway and chop it down? You might as well just go outside and plant a few quickies and be done with it whenever you need wood.

It's about the looks really.

I agree. I love building huge tree farms in my deep underground bases. And sometimes it's more about looks than anything else. In fact, my "tree farms" are usually just hallways lined with trees or staircases flanked by trees. I'll even chop a tree down just to grow a new one if it isn't the shape or height I want. I usually bring grass down into my mining bases too, again just to give it some warmth and atmosphere.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree. I love building huge tree farms in my deep underground bases. And sometimes it's more about looks than anything else. In fact, my "tree farms" are usually just hallways lined with trees or staircases flanked by trees. I'll even chop a tree down just to grow a new one if it isn't the shape or height I want. I usually bring grass down into my mining bases too, again just to give it some warmth and atmosphere.
Really the only problem I have is preventing the larger Oak trees. I love how the look, but not when I am only growing them for wood.

I'm thinking of having a row for each tree with a 6 block off the ground catwalk off to the side to reach the higher stuff when needed. It'll look nice and simple and serve its purpose well.

Ranger X

Really the only problem I have is preventing the larger Oak trees. I love how the look, but not when I am only growing them for wood.

I'm thinking of having a row for each tree with a 6 block off the ground catwalk off to the side to reach the higher stuff when needed. It'll look nice and simple and serve its purpose well.

Grow your trees in tube-like chambers. Leave the minimum space required at the bottom for the seed grows and you can even narrow the space in the higher part of the tube so you will never see huge pack of trees spreading.

Top Bottom