• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Grow your trees in tube-like chambers. Leave the minimum space required at the bottom for the seed grows and you can even narrow the space in the higher part of the tube so you will never see huge pack of trees spreading.

Spruce trees seem to have much stricter guidelines for growth. A giant oak tree will build itself around obstacles and a jungle tree will squeeze through a hole, but a spruce seems to be very picky.

celebi23

I was just wondering if anyone has an extra Minecon 2012 cape code that they'd be willing to sell/trade. I haven't been able to go to this years and last year's Minecons and would really love the cape.

-Minsc-

Minecraft login seems to be down so if you're online don't log off. Or since it's a Saturday night go out and have some fun.

Ranger X

The server is now 1.4.5 (Neocraft)

By the way, It took me a couple times before successfully logging in. Is this related to people putting back their item frames maybe? I think it's supposed to be fixed now. Just wanted to have some thoughts from you guys because I am about to create my gallery. This means a shiton of frames :)

The login problem has happened to me a fair few times. Last time it happened was yesterday just after the server did an automatic restart. I don't believe it is related to item frames and as far as I am aware the item frame bug has been fixed. So if you want to go crazy with them feel free.

Having the same problem now trying to login to Neocraft and checking the server status page for Mojang it is in a whole world of pain (website down, account servers down). So I would say the login issues some are experiencing are solely down to Mojangs ZX81 server and nothing to do with Neocraft or item frames.

It took me several times to get in as well. As a last ditch attempt I updated to the latest version and I was able to get in. Before that the server was listed at an IP of 1.4.5. Quite odd.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The login problem has happened to me a fair few times. Last time it happened was yesterday just after the server did an automatic restart. I don't believe it is related to item frames and as far as I am aware the item frame bug has been fixed. So if you want to go crazy with them feel free.

Having the same problem now trying to login to Neocraft and checking the server status page for Mojang it is in a whole world of pain (website down, account servers down). So I would say the login issues some are experiencing are solely down to Mojangs ZX81 server and nothing to do with Neocraft or item frames.

Suddenly started having problems connecting to our local server too, which is odd. Updated to 1.4.5 just in case, but still no joy.

also get really bad ping even though the server is on our lan - like 5000ms

would this even affect a lan server? Oddly I can run minecraft on the same computer that is running the server, and that can connect.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah it's Mojangs servers :-

https://twitter.com/mollstam/status/276018271466168321

So we have to play with ourselves for a bit :-/

Anymore it's such a jarring experience to play my single player world instead of hopping onto Neocraft. I've gotten so used to other people being in game, and wandering around discovering and exploring other people's places. And yet in some ways I enjoy solo Minecraft more now and then. The solitary experience fits the game very well to me.

Although lately I haven't had time for any Minecraft at all. I have a vacation day this Friday, I hope I get some time to play for a bit.

Ranger X

It took me several times to get in as well. As a last ditch attempt I updated to the latest version and I was able to get in. Before that the server was listed at an IP of 1.4.5. Quite odd.

This is not the connection problem lol, this is normal. The server had been updated to 1.4.5 and not your client apparently ;)

Suddenly started having problems connecting to our local server too, which is odd. Updated to 1.4.5 just in case, but still no joy.

also get really bad ping even though the server is on our lan - like 5000ms

would this even affect a lan server? Oddly I can run minecraft on the same computer that is running the server, and that can connect.

This means all server games are checking on Mojang if only to authenticate your game copy.

This is not the connection problem lol, this is normal. The server had been updated to 1.4.5 and not your client apparently ;)

This means all server games are checking on Mojang if only to authenticate your game copy.

Yeah that made to much sense hence why it was my last ditch effort. heh

bengraven

Add flags, too.

Then not only can we have impromptu CTF games and awesome castles, but we can make Mario mods with the fireworks.

Ranger X

What I think they should do is flesh out the adventure mode and make it worthwhile. Make it a main mode just as much survival is with people easily exchanging worlds/quests, etc.
The linear side of Minecraft and could be a nice contrast to switch to from time to time. This would probably lengthen our playtime even more than it is.

Mengy

What I think they should do is flesh out the adventure mode and make it worthwhile. Make it a main mode just as much survival is with people easily exchanging worlds/quests, etc.
The linear side of Minecraft and could be a nice contrast to switch to from time to time. This would probably lengthen our playtime even more than it is.

I love the game just the way it is, but if I was the one developing it then fireworks would be very low on the list. I'd be adding more mechanics to the game to improve it's replayability, meaning adding incentives to do things within the game. Giving us XP for mining and smelting and breeding animals was a great step towards this. So was adding trading with villagers, but the trading really is lackluster. I would also be adding new crafting recipes to allow players more creativity in building.

This would by my list, in order of importance to the game:

1. Villager quests - things like "bring me 128 watermelons and I'll pay you rubies" or "bring me 64 rotten flesh". Give the players more reasons to go monster hunting or farming food. This leads to my number two...
2. Add villager shops - give the player stores to spend rubies. Have items for sale like diamonds, or glowstone, or capes, or chainmail, or bonemeal, or arrows, etc. Maybe even add a few things that can't be crafted at all, only bought.
3. Add stained glass - the community has been asking for it for two years now.
4. Add colored torches - different colored lighting would be fantastic.
5. Add food buffs - give us a reason to make different kinds of food.
6. Varying degrees of weather - adding weather was awesome, but I would add some more levels of weather.
7. Ambient sounds and animals - bats in caves was a great move, now lets get the damn birds out in the wilderness!
99. Fireworks.

Ranger X

I love the game just the way it is, but if I was the one developing it then fireworks would be very low on the list. I'd be adding more mechanics to the game to improve it's replayability, meaning adding incentives to do things within the game. Giving us XP for mining and smelting and breeding animals was a great step towards this. So was adding trading with villagers, but the trading really is lackluster. I would also be adding new crafting recipes to allow players more creativity in building.

1. Villager quests - things like "bring me 128 watermelons and I'll pay you rubies" or "bring me 64 rotten flesh". Give the players more reasons to go monster hunting or farming food. This leads to my number two...
2. Add villager shops - give the player stores to spend rubies. Have items for sale like diamonds, or glowstone, or capes, or chainmail, or bonemeal, or arrows, etc. Maybe even add a few things that can't be crafted at all, only bought.
6. Varying degrees of weather - adding weather was awesome, but I would add some more levels of weather.
7. Ambient sounds and animals - bats in caves was a great move, now lets get the damn birds out in the wilderness!
99. Fireworks.

I actually agree with you regarding the survival mode. New items and receipes + crafting and monster hunting incentives are super easy to come up with abd truly give the games more legs. In second comes the envirronement, the world itself. In Minecraft is an extremely important aspect. Bringing more animals, immersion, sounds, diversity in the flora, etc is extremely benefital again for the longevity of the game. When the API will come out, I am planning into making my own version of the Vanilla game. So much stuff that can be added just with the elements thats already in the game!

As for the adventure mode, its because its a quite useless mode right now. I mean, make it worthwhile or don't make it. What's interesting with the adventure mode is that I would like to create worlds, experiences for another player to live through, create adventures. The possibilities in Minecraft for a mode like this to be interesting are mindblowing.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think the more they try and make it into a 'real' sort of RPG/adventure sort of game, the more the relatively low-budgetness of Minecraft will become more apparent and justifiably criticized. Its never going to compare to a good RPG/adventure game, so why try and even attempt it? For instance, Minecraft's combat is pretty much the worst combat you'll find in a game post early 1990's. It gets a pass for this because its not really what Minecraft is all about. But if you start making quests and whatnot, people might be less willing to give it a pass for that sort of thing.

I know I've said it before, but I really wish Minecraft would focus more on the sandbox elements. Give us more toys to play with, more things to find/do/build, more mobs(friendly and non friendly), new environment additions, etc.

Also, numbers 1 and 2 on that list are kinda-sorta already in the game (albeit there aren't any trade-only items that I'm aware of).

Also they're emeralds, not rubies. Emeralds are green. Rubies are red.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Also, numbers 1 and 2 on that list are kinda-sorta already in the game (albeit there aren't any trade-only items that I'm aware of).

Also they're emeralds, not rubies. Emeralds are green. Rubies are red.
They were originally rubies though. Before Jeb changed them to Emeralds. And I believe Diamonds were originally also rubies.

And yes, I want villagers that ask for pumpkins and melons and seeds and cocoa beans. Stuff I have millions of and have no use for. (As I only eat chicken. So why do I need a dozen different food types that may or may not make my meter lower faster?) And make the trade offers change at random on a daily or weekly basis instead of sitting waiting for you to trade before adding new ones. There's a lot of trades that I just will not bother wasting my items on that make the villager useless.

Also, make it so we can tell what the villager is offering at a glance by popping a sign over their heads when we point our cursor at them. So I can tell what they want before I click on them.

Mengy

They were originally rubies though. Before Jeb changed them to Emeralds. And I believe Diamonds were originally also rubies.

And yes, I want villagers that ask for pumpkins and melons and seeds and cocoa beans. Stuff I have millions of and have no use for. (As I only eat chicken. So why do I need a dozen different food types that may or may not make my meter lower faster?) And make the trade offers change at random on a daily or weekly basis instead of sitting waiting for you to trade before adding new ones. There's a lot of trades that I just will not bother wasting my items on that make the villager useless.

Also, make it so we can tell what the villager is offering at a glance by popping a sign over their heads when we point our cursor at them. So I can tell what they want before I click on them.

Yeah, thats why I think different foods should give a variety of buffs. As it is now I only make cow pens and eat beef with a wheat farm to feed them. I usually make farms for other food too but only because of my OCD and not because I actually use any of it, lol.

Enco

99. Fireworks.
Agreed on all counts.

The bug fixing is great but content is disappointing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, thats why I think different foods should give a variety of buffs. As it is now I only make cow pens and eat beef with a wheat farm to feed them. I usually make farms for other food too but only because of my OCD and not because I actually use any of it, lol.
Yeah, as it stands I'm exactly the same. I have a cow farm that I only use for leather because I don't need the beef, so it sits in a chest unused. I have sheep for wool of course. And I only keep pigs for looks because I don't eat the pork. I have a large chicken farm that I use for semi-automating my chicken breeding and harvesting and have two double-chests full of chicken carcasses, two double chests of feathers I don't need and an array of 12 double chests for eggs because once the farm gets going I'm getting eggs by the dozens every second when the farm is full.

I keep wheat for obvious reasons, but I also keep melons because I like how they look and pumpkins for the same reason. (Though they can also be used for lighting in many situations so they serve an extra purpose) As well as cacti even though I don't really use it for traps and sugar cane even though I don't need it much.

There's so much farming to do, but a lot of it ends up overkill. You can only eat so much food. But you get so much. Please villagers, take my stuff from me! They should have requirements for every block and item type you can mass produce and should offer those offers at random times instead of requiring you to finish one offer before they change.

What if you went to Kmart and wanted a Wii U but they said you had to buy a bunch of blankets and sheets first before they could offer it to you. Wait, that analogy doesn't work unless you have a Kmart that only offers Wii U's on certain days at random. Hmm...

A better analogy would be the original Wii shortly after its launch. :p

Ah, right, Emeralds were Rubies. Forgot about that. I appreciate that they switched to a more distinctive color, though, so I don't mix it up with redstone.

As far as food goes, I always preferred beef and pork to chicken. Both filled more muttons and seem to keep me satiated for longer. That's something I don't like about the current hunger system - smaller foods don't just fill up your bar less, they make you hungry more often, and that second part is hard to measure. It's what put me off just using bread, which is a lot easier to maintain a large supply of.

Xun

99. Fireworks.
More coloured stone would be nice too.

The fireworks will be great for what I'm currently working on though. :p

Ranger X

Yeah, as it stands I'm exactly the same. I have a cow farm that I only use for leather because I don't need the beef, so it sits in a chest unused. I have sheep for wool of course. And I only keep pigs for looks because I don't eat the pork. I have a large chicken farm that I use for semi-automating my chicken breeding and harvesting and have two double-chests full of chicken carcasses, two double chests of feathers I don't need and an array of 12 double chests for eggs because once the farm gets going I'm getting eggs by the dozens every second when the farm is full.

I keep wheat for obvious reasons, but I also keep melons because I like how they look and pumpkins for the same reason. (Though they can also be used for lighting in many situations so they serve an extra purpose) As well as cacti even though I don't really use it for traps and sugar cane even though I don't need it much.

There's so much farming to do, but a lot of it ends up overkill. You can only eat so much food. But you get so much. Please villagers, take my stuff from me! They should have requirements for every block and item type you can mass produce and should offer those offers at random times instead of requiring you to finish one offer before they change.

What if you went to Kmart and wanted a Wii U but they said you had to buy a bunch of blankets and sheets first before they could offer it to you. Wait, that analogy doesn't work unless you have a Kmart that only offers Wii U's on certain days at random. Hmm...

Me on the other hand find the cows wayyyy too powerful. I live only on them. Their are the ones giving the more meat drops and when cooked, its the meat that gives the most stamina back. Add to this that they give leather, this animal renders farming pigs and chicken completely useless. Only the sheeps are still worthwhile for wool. Now if you farm cows, you have so much food that all the vegetables or anything else in order to survive is useless.

No seriously, Minecraft is having like infinite room for becoming more optionated and intricate. So much room for adding alot of stuff and depth to the survival mode. And what if we improve machine making? what if we add in fuel production and use? transportations other than the fucking boat? I mean, I could talk about great possible addition to Minecraft for HOURS. Wait, most probably weeks or months without running out of simple ideas that would be not only perfectly doable but always adding to the game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Me on the other hand find the cows wayyyy too powerful. I live only on them. Their are the ones giving the more meat drops and when cooked, its the meat that gives the most stamina back. Add to this that they give leather, this animal renders farming pigs and chicken completely useless. Only the sheeps are still worthwhile for wool. Now if you farm cows, you have so much food that all the vegetables or anything else in order to survive is useless.
I would just live on cows too if I didn't have a totally awesome piston and dispenser powered semi-automatic chicken farm that allows me to kill 400+ chickens all at once. I have more chicken than I need. Beef provides more food but chicken is just much easier for me to come by.

I want rubies in the game, if only so I could make a ruby block.
There should be a red block of the same ilk as iron/gold/diamond/lapis/emerald blocks, yes, although I personally think making it out of, say, 9 redstone would suffice.

Then we'd have white (iron), red (redstone), yellow (gold), green (emerald), cyan (diamond) and blue (lapis) covered - maybe black, too (obsidian). All you'd really need is a fuchsia colored block...
Or just start making things out of wool, if you don't mind the fire hazard.

I wonder if the blocks would carry a charge over, too? It'd be pretty cool if you could use a stack of these to transfer a signal directly up, vertically.

Real quick question. This black line appears even during the day. If I build a tower of blocks up to it, around the spot where my character was goes back to normal lighting.

I log out, come back, black line is back.

Was going to build some sort of lighting up there, but if it is a bug that is fixable that is the easier solution.

V6q82.jpg

Any ideas?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I wonder if the blocks would carry a charge over, too? It'd be pretty cool if you could use a stack of these to transfer a signal directly up, vertically.

Well, since we're just debating a mod/new feature, it can do whatever the fuck we want! :D

Real quick question. This black line appears even during the day. If I build a tower of blocks up to it, around the spot where my character was goes back to normal lighting.

Any ideas?

Seems like the common lighting glitches manifesting on you. A few torches up there ought to stop it, but it won't go away on its own until the engine gets improved.

Well, since we're just debating a mod/new feature, it can do whatever the fuck we want! :D

Seems like the common lighting glitches manifesting on you. A few torches up there ought to stop it, but it won't go away on its own until the engine gets improved.

Ah ok, thanks :)

defel

Was going to build some sort of lighting up there, but if it is a bug that is fixable that is the easier solution.

V6q82.jpg

Any ideas?

Watch the first few minutes of this video and he deals with a similar problem in his world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4G70X2G6wk

essentially you place string in the chunks to keep it loaded and it gets rid of the lighting glitch. ofc there are so many lighting glitches that it may not be the same

bengraven

Having a ton of fun in MC again for the first time in over a year.

Playing creative mode and building a world (train system/stations, outposts in the wild, a full wild west village made completely by me) and I'm building some of the best, most creative stuff I've ever made. No, not "some", definitely THE BEST.

I plan on building,my world then switching on survival mode to fill the coffers and let me play in this world. Pics soon.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Watch the first few minutes of this video and he deals with a similar problem in his world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4G70X2G6wk

essentially you place string in the chunks to keep it loaded and it gets rid of the lighting glitch. ofc there are so many lighting glitches that it may not be the same
I'm trying this out myself because I too have this weird shadow on the side of my castle. It's annoyingly ugly and I could never get it to stay away. So I'm trying the string thing. Seems to have worked so far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some people like chickens, some people like cows. Isn't that the mark of a good sandbox game that you have the choice?

Enfinit

I'm attempting to build a fireplace in my home, however the majority of the house is made out of wood. The fireplace itself is made out of brick (I'm using Netherrack for the fire itself), and the bottom layer is surronded by stone brick. However, the fire keeps jumping the brick and igniting the wood. Is there anything I can do to prevent this, like any tricks using water underneath the fire (or something along those lines)?

Top Bottom