• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Exano what the hell are you feeding these Spiders? I'm convinced they're super-quick on your server :p

Jasoco

Banned
Doesn't make sense why he implemented it that way when a simple:

Code:
sappling.plantedtime = current_time (Current game time)
sappling.growtime = 2 (days)
if current_time + sappling.growtime > sappling.plantedtime then
  sappling:grow()
end
Same with all the other time-based stuff.

Instead he seems to use a sappling.life variable and just increments each one loaded in memory until they reach the growtime.

If he used the first method, you could plant a sappling then go off miles away and when you come back it would have grown. But I suppose changing it now would require breaking a lot of stuff? Or they just haven't thought of it?

Ranger X

So what the fuck a release date mean? This means the version will become "final" therefore no more big improvements will be done?

This will be their live's greatest mistake!
Their goldmine = Minecraft. They might not want to see it through. :(

Ranger X said:
So what the fuck a release date mean? This means the version will become "final" therefore no more big improvements will be done?

Nah I remember Notch saying that being "final" doesn't mean development will stop. Just that they'll have a game that they can say is finished.

Likely development will slow down but once we have the modding API there will always be new things.

But anyway I'm sure Notch's blog post will explain things.

Ranger X said:

Yep. He got like 33M € of revenues. And he'll a lot of Millions more before being gold. He should hire the people that made the best mods and bring Minecraft to a whole new level, without having to lose the indie flavour.

(or hire some programmers able to work in C++ to make the game work in any computer, I swear that Crysis runs better than Minecraft, in mine)

I hope that release day that they plan is around 2014

Vinci

Danish
Barberetti said:
From what I've heard, you've got a big enough backlog already :p

Perhaps so, but Minecraft is likely better than any game in his backlog. ;)

EDIT: No talk about a release date till we've got our damn dragons.

Articalys

And here we are: Minecraft's formal "release date" is 11/11/11

Notch said:
It’s a bit tricky to really do a release for Minecraft as we keep updating it all the time. For one, the version we deem as the “full version” won’t be very different at all from what the game was like a week ago, and we’ll keep adding features after the release as well, so it’s really more of a milestone when we finally get rid of the Beta label, and some kind of goal for us to work towards. The plan is to be open with this and try to get people to cheer us on as much as possible, but to be open with the fact that the game won’t change much at the actual release day. (It’s more a progress up until that point)

We picked November 11, with the unofficial tagline “us too”.

It’s the same date as a few other games and movies, and the one I’m the most excited about is Skyrim, so that will be a nice reward for me if we actually manage to hit that date!

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/4423138657/11-11-11

Is this thread-worthy?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jasoco said:
Interesting. Verrry interesting.
Yeah. I guess, like he said, it's just a goal for them to work towards. Setting a deadline always helps in projects like this, in which you're the boss.

I'm expecting awesome new features in updates from now on.

Vlad said:
He said he's also adding something called the "piston mod"... time to look up what that is.

It's pretty incredible. Has some bugs though (like note blocks being reset to the default note) that will hopefully be fixed before they add it into the game.

This CCRT thing sounds like what I've really been hoping to see come out of minecraft, and it's enough to invigorate my desire to play again!

Too bad it's not letter me connect. D:

Vlad said:
He said he's also adding something called the "piston mod"... time to look up what that is.

Piston mod is amazing. Is a small mod that allow to create pistons. With this you are able to move blocks (even a big amount) or even throwing them away (if they are gravity affected), with redstone. You can make amazing things with this, like traps for mobs or cannons.

That's the way Notch should go, check the easy, good and not gamebreaking mods, and implement them (or a similar behaviour) as official.

Jasoco said:
Doesn't make sense why he implemented it that way when a simple:

Code:
sappling.plantedtime = current_time (Current game time)
sappling.growtime = 2 (days)
if current_time + sappling.growtime > sappling.plantedtime then
  sappling:grow()
end
Same with all the other time-based stuff.

Instead he seems to use a sappling.life variable and just increments each one loaded in memory until they reach the growtime.

If he used the first method, you could plant a sappling then go off miles away and when you come back it would have grown. But I suppose changing it now would require breaking a lot of stuff? Or they just haven't thought of it?

I think your "code" is a bit off. The sapling growtime is pretty much irrelevant given the way you have things written. Did you maybe mean "current_time - sappling.growtime > sappling.plantedtime" ? IMO relying on a "life" variable is probably a safer approach.

Jasoco

Banned
lemon__fresh said:
I think your "code" is a bit off. The sapling growtime is pretty much irrelevant given the way you have things written. Did you maybe mean "current_time - sappling.growtime > sappling.plantedtime" ? IMO relying on a "life" variable is probably a safer approach.
Well, it's safe if you give the sapling a "planted" time based on the game time then check if the time between the current time and the planted time is greater than the grow time.

The only way it could cause problems is if someone uses a time changing mod. But not really. It's not like changing the time back to before it was planted will make it become unplanted. Since the plant time is only used to delay the grow function. Once it's grown it's grown.

Using a life variable means that the life only gets incremented if the sapling is in memory. Once you unload its chunk, all growth stops until the chunk gets loaded back up. Or if you go to sleep, it doesn't add to the life so it just delays the growth or processing of the furnace or whatever.

Jhriad

So is the GAFLand server officially dead now? Just logged on and it looks like even the commands that were working before are broken/changed now. So much work wasted.

Vitet

Vinci said:
No, no. No tutorials. Everyone should get to have a virginal first night in Minecraft.

One? I had like ten virginal first nights with this game, trying to build a rusty wood cabin while creepers keep destroying it...

Jasoco

Banned
Wow, the piston mod looks like it could make some useful stuff.

I'd like to see an elevator mod though. Or even conveyor belts. They'd also need to create objects that are capable of actually placing blocks and not just dropping block items.

But weather is gonna be awesome.

Unfortunately it'll also put out fires, so if you have any fires you actually need you'll have to make sure they're covered from the sky. I assume a single block above the fire will be enough. Even if it's glass.

Ranger X

Articalys said:
And here we are: Minecraft's formal "release date" is 11/11/11

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/4423138657/11-11-11

Is this thread-worthy?

This eases my mind. :)

Jasoco said:
Wow, the piston mod looks like it could make some useful stuff.

I'd like to see an elevator mod though. Or even conveyor belts. They'd also need to create objects that are capable of actually placing blocks and not just dropping block items.

But weather is gonna be awesome.

Unfortunately it'll also put out fires, so if you have any fires you actually need you'll have to make sure they're covered from the sky. I assume a single block above the fire will be enough. Even if it's glass.

I assume this would not put out torches, just like it doesn't put out lava. That would be too much of a pain if it did.

parasight

Goro's Lair has been done for some time, but I've been busy lately so I haven't had time to upload the pics. Here it is:
5598962871_e2ea57a04a_b.jpg

5598963259_444739ce22_b.jpg

5599545260_1cc7721062_b.jpg

5598964035_ae93d69d16_b.jpg

Bonus pics of Rooftop (still a work in progress):
5598964593_88aa667719_b.jpg

5599545486_0c8526d521_b.jpg

Just a note that although we did spawn the Glowstone, all other blocks were harvested. The sandstone was particularly a tough grind for building Goro. Our current project is Hell (or Netherrealm). Shouldn't be too difficult given the nature of the game.

strata8

So I fired up an old alpha version of Minecraft today:
AlphaMinecraft1.jpg

AlphaMinecraft2.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks the worlds aren't as interesting anymore?

Ranger X

I would even says that most if not all seeds have those incredible environnements. It's just that a seed is so vast that you aren't necessarily near one.

strata8

Ranger X said:
I would even says that most if not all seeds have those incredible environnements. It's just that a seed is so vast that you aren't necessarily near one.
Even with one of those seeds, I still don't really get the same sense of scale. Everything feels tighter and more compressed, if that makes sense.

Ranger X

NotTarts said:
Even with one of those seeds, I still don't really get the same sense of scale. Everything feels tighter and more compressed, if that makes sense.

I dunno where your impressions are coming from. Maybe the screenshots are triggering wilder imagination to you. Personally, I look at those "alpha" screenshot there and it's looking identical to what I see in every world. It's only a question of finding those places, they are many but a seed is 5 times the size of Earth so...

Wool

Ranger X said:
I dunno where your impressions are coming from. Maybe the screenshots are triggering wilder imagination to you. Personally, I look at those "alpha" screenshot there and it's looking identical to what I see in every world. It's only a question of finding those places, they are many but a seed is 5 times the size of Earth so...

What do you mean? That depends how much real life area you decide each minecraft block is worth. I do agree with you though, I don't think formations are any more or less impressive, it's just a randomly generated thing.

strata8

Ranger X said:
I just imported that map into the Beta just recently and there's something I prefer about it, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to playing alpha since I haven't played much of MC since the beta update.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
rdelaney said:
What do you mean? That depends how much real life area you decide each minecraft block is worth. I do agree with you though, I don't think formations are any more or less impressive, it's just a randomly generated thing.
It's important to remember that Minecraft worlds are procedurally generated.

BooJoh

Biomes brought some differences to the way worlds look in general, but you do still find those amazing formations and stuff. I must have tried 20-30 different seeds before I finally found one I liked, and I really like it.

I suggest creating a new world using a random word as a seed, name the world the same thing so you can remember what the seed was. As soon as you get in just start wandering around exploring until nightfall. If it doesn't "grab" you, delete that world and try again with a different seed. Keep doing this until you get a world you really like, then delete it and start over with the same seed and play as you normally would.

2011-03-31_192523.png

2011-02-28_005006.png

strata8

BooJoh said:
Biomes brought some differences to the way worlds look in general, but you do still find those amazing formations and stuff. I must have tried 20-30 different seeds before I finally found one I liked, and I really like it.

I suggest creating a new world using a random word as a seed, name the world the same thing so you can remember what the seed was. As soon as you get in just start wandering around exploring until nightfall. If it doesn't "grab" you, delete that world and try again with a different seed. Keep doing this until you get a world you really like, then delete it and start over with the same seed and play as you normally would.
Again, maybe it's just me, but the world just feels smaller and tighter than it used to. It could be something to do with biome size.

Anyway, I've decided to generate a huge alpha map and just use that in the beta. Here's what it looks like:
AlphaMinecraft3.jpg

AlphaMinecraft4.jpg

AlphaMinecraft5.jpg

AlphaMinecraft6.jpg

Ranger X

rdelaney said:

That's Notch that said it. Of course it's a relative size wich I am not aware of. Probably that one block = 1m

bengraven

Gotta admit, pretty fucking excited for weather. Just add some atmospheric sounds like birds in forests, wind on the tundra, strange animal cries far in the distance at night and water drops from the ceiling in mines and I'll be happy.

BooJoh said:

When I see something this awesome, I never build on it. I quote Karl Pilkington: "Well, I figure you'd rather live in a hole and see a palace, then live in a palace and have to see a hole."

Except I build the palace admiring the hole, for fear that giant formation would be sullied and nothing I can make will be as cool since I am creatively bankrupt.

Blizzard

Banned
NotTarts said:
Again, maybe it's just me, but the world just feels smaller and tighter than it used to. It could be something to do with biome size.
It could be that you're crazy and like your particular alpha map. *shrug* Or it could be that mountains are actually smaller and big valleys do not happen anymore due to biomes. I guess if anyone else has an area that's as big as your screenshots, feel free to post it?

Ranger X

Blizzard said:
It could be that you're crazy and like your particular alpha map. *shrug* Or it could be that mountains are actually smaller and big valleys do not happen anymore due to biomes. I guess if anyone else has an area that's as big as your screenshots, feel free to post it?

I have plenty of those cliffs in my seed (therefore it's in all seeds really.)

Top Bottom