• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

celebi23

Oh, I just thought I'd give you guys a heads up. Around 12:30/1pm EST, I'll be posting a topic in the Gaming Discussion section that'll have something to do with Minecraft and Minecon. Those of you with XBox Live might find it kinda interesting :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
As for what, I have no ideas at the moment. :p

A field of ice sculptures and ice buildings and structures, in some frozen snow biome somewhere. Maybe make some Christmas trees and spread them around the area too.

defel

A large christmas tree-house with redstone lighting and dispensers shooting out snowballs to replicate snow. A beacon shining through the middle would be cool too.

Morokh

A field of ice sculptures and ice buildings and structures, in some frozen snow biome somewhere. Maybe make some Christmas trees and spread them around the area too.

there is plenty of room in the ice plains / Taiga biome where your winter mining base is, but finding a good spot to start something isn't that easy :p

I'm wandering around there for some time now and might get starting on something once i find a good place.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So all of a sudden in the last 2 weeks my small personal family server, which I run from home, has started giving errors and crap when trying to log in or stay connected. I don't know why. Could it have anything to do with the size of the world? It's getting pretty big. Relatively at least.

I want to switch to a real host again. I am now looking at MossyCobble.com. But their cheapest dedicated plan is $25 a month. That's much higher than our old host which was $5 a month and had terrible service towards the end. So I want to go with something better. As long as I have full access I don't care.

Ranger X

So all of a sudden in the last 2 weeks my small personal family server, which I run from home, has started giving errors and crap when trying to log in or stay connected. I don't know why. Could it have anything to do with the size of the world? It's getting pretty big. Relatively at least.

I want to switch to a real host again. I am now looking at MossyCobble.com. But their cheapest dedicated plan is $25 a month. That's much higher than our old host which was $5 a month and had terrible service towards the end. So I want to go with something better. As long as I have full access I don't care.

Well, Neocraft also had those problems because it was Mojang identification servers that were craping out.

Enco

If it's just for family you should stick with a home server in my opinion.

$25 a month is steep as hell for something you can easily get for free.

Morokh

There is a little snow covered island at x:-4138 z:-3840 on the map. Maybe the winter village/sculpture/Christmas tree thing can go there?

You reading my mind !! ? :p

That's where I ended up first, it's a cool location if you want to build a single thing (like putting a big tree on top of the only mountain, and covering the rest of it with gifts and things like that) but for something bigger it's actually smaller than it looks.

I started a little something in another place, i'm not too happy with it yet, but I must go to bed and I will work on it more tomorrow.

It's at x-3295 z -2921, just at the border of a taiga biome and an ice plain one, there are some ice mountains not too far too, so the place might be suitable for many things if other people want to check the area out.

u4cUm.jpg

Y9pCy.jpg

Even if i'm the only one building around there it'll end up being quite a nice winter resort home i'm sure :p

You reading my mind !! ? :p

That's where I ended up first, it's a cool location if you want to build a single thing (like putting a big tree on top of the only mountain, and covering the rest of it with gifts and things like that) but for something bigger it's actually smaller than it looks.

I started a little something in another place, i'm not too happy with it yet, but I must go to bed and I will work on it more tomorrow.

It's at x-3295 z -2921, just at the border of a taiga biome and an ice plain one, there are some ice mountains not too far too, so the place might be suitable for many things if other people want to check the area out.

Even if i'm the only one building around there it'll end up being quite a nice winter resort home i'm sure :p

That's actually quite close to my place (the extreme hills to the west). Looks like a good place and the snow covered mountains to the south of it look like they could be quite fun to build in.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well, Neocraft also had those problems because it was Mojang identification servers that were craping out.
What errors were you getting? And has it been happening for everyone across the board for the past 2 weeks? Like everyone in the world? Because it's been getting to the point none of them (One in New York 80 miles away) could connect, or could connect but then be kicked off after 5 seconds or so.

Edit: There's also a $15 plan we're thinking about.

Also, this is one of the errors he has been getting: disconnect.overflow

Raxum

Why am I just finding out about this awesome Pokemon mod?!

Need to remember my account info to check this out!

I played this a while back when it first came out, but damn that's looking a lot more comprehensive than when I played, might check it out.

Also, are there any decent and non-resource intensive elevators apart from the zipper one?

defel

I played this a while back when it first came out, but damn that's looking a lot more comprehensive than when I played, might check it out.

Also, are there any decent and non-resource intensive elevators apart from the zipper one?

try enderpearl elevators. i think most of the mechanical elevators have been broken anyway

Ranger X

What errors were you getting? And has it been happening for everyone across the board for the past 2 weeks? Like everyone in the world? Because it's been getting to the point none of them (One in New York 80 miles away) could connect, or could connect but then be kicked off after 5 seconds or so.

Edit: There's also a $15 plan we're thinking about.

Also, this is one of the errors he has been getting: disconnect.overflow

You'd have to ask Charlie for the specific errors we got but the authentification servers from Mojang were having a hard time since 2 weeks and this affect EVERYBODY. It's when you connect online, your game goes through those servers to check if its a legit copy. Mojang said they were having tests and would proceed into fixing this asap.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You'd have to ask Charlie for the specific errors we got but the authentification servers from Mojang were having a hard time since 2 weeks and this affect EVERYBODY. It's when you connect online, your game goes through those servers to check if its a legit copy. Mojang said they were having tests and would proceed into fixing this asap.
Yeah, but that only affects you when connecting. It wouldn't have anything to do with kicking you off the server once you're on. If it was a problem with the authentication server it wouldn't even let us in, even me when I'm connecting directly across my network. Only the people on the outside of our network who are trying to connect from Philly or NYC or elsewhere were having the problems.

I didn't change any settings on the machine the server is running on so I don't know why, after months of it working perfectly and fast, it just suddenly started kicking people off with overflow errors. According to Google it's because there's enough lag that MC thinks you disconnected anyway so it kicks you off. We have Verizon FiOS and don't have any kind of speed problems. I don't really understand.

Yeah, but that only affects you when connecting. It wouldn't have anything to do with kicking you off the server once you're on. If it was a problem with the authentication server it wouldn't even let us in, even me when I'm connecting directly across my network. Only the people on the outside of our network who are trying to connect from Philly or NYC or elsewhere were having the problems.

I didn't change any settings on the machine the server is running on so I don't know why, after months of it working perfectly and fast, it just suddenly started kicking people off with overflow errors. According to Google it's because there's enough lag that MC thinks you disconnected anyway so it kicks you off. We have Verizon FiOS and don't have any kind of speed problems. I don't really understand.

One thing I dealt with when I had a server for a few friends was that the Java process would sit and eat system resources requiring a restart of the server. This happened at least once a week. I would run out of processes and then it wouldn't let anyone connect until I restarted the server. Hopefully that shouldn't be a problem if you are using a host that is specifically designed for hosting gaming/minecraft servers. If you have SSH access to your server you could see if the system is running out of resources. Might have to /stop the server process and then restart it or even restart the whole server.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
One thing I dealt with when I had a server for a few friends was that the Java process would sit and eat system resources requiring a restart of the server. This happened at least once a week. I would run out of processes and then it wouldn't let anyone connect until I restarted the server. Hopefully that shouldn't be a problem if you are using a host that is specifically designed for hosting gaming/minecraft servers. If you have SSH access to your server you could see if the system is running out of resources. Might have to /stop the server process and then restart it or even restart the whole server.
I restart the server all the time. If only to do daily backups of the world.

I restart the server all the time. If only to do daily backups of the world.

Vanilla .jar file or modded? Java up to date? There are a few things that could be a culprit. Even on the minecraft forums there are several similar problems but varying causes. What kind of server/host are you using or is it a local machine and your relatives connect via hamachi or something of the sort?

Morokh

Reworked a little bit the whole thing, it's starting to look like something.

Making those custom trees and having to walk back from my original place just ate all my time tonight xD

If someone just feels like tagging along and building something in the area, feel free, there is nothing really planned at the moment, winter / Christmas-theme that's all.

x-3295 z -2921

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Vanilla .jar file or modded? Java up to date? There are a few things that could be a culprit. Even on the minecraft forums there are several similar problems but varying causes. What kind of server/host are you using or is it a local machine and your relatives connect via hamachi or something of the sort?
Vanilla non modified in any way. What's a Hamachi? I just forward the port. I don't know how to check java.

Ranger X

While it's kind of neat, I'm not seeing how this will be a big deal? In fact, honestly I could care less about it. The 2D sprites for drops now work just fine, I'd rather they spend time on more important things...?

Your sarcasm detector dramatically needs a firmware update my friend. ;)

Vanilla non modified in any way. What's a Hamachi? I just forward the port. I don't know how to check java.

Hamachi is a vpn service. As far as java you should be able to see what version you are running by the file on the server. I guess the big question is is this a machine one you setup and are running locally or one that is hosted? If its local you can easily update java. If its hosted do you have SSH access or remote desktop access (depending on OS) to the server that you can update things or is that all managed by the host?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hamachi is a vpn service. As far as java you should be able to see what version you are running by the file on the server. I guess the big question is is this a machine one you setup and are running locally or one that is hosted? If its local you can easily update java. If its hosted do you have SSH access or remote desktop access (depending on OS) to the server that you can update things or is that all managed by the host?
It's right across the room. I am looking at it right now and watching Plinkett's Star Trek: The Star Trek review on it right now.

Anyway as for Java, I just downloaded and installed Java 7 to make sure. I was probably on 6 before. But what would it matter? Nothing changed did it? I didn't change settings. Minecraft didn't change requirements. And I can still connect locally by using the machines local IP from within my house with no problems.

Raxum

try enderpearl elevators. i think most of the mechanical elevators have been broken anyway

Damn, I have a zipper elevator that works in vanilla MC, but for the elevator to get me where I need, it needs to be 128 blocks high so an enderpearl elevator doesn't quite cut it. I made a mob spawner in my survival map at 196 blocks for best spawning, yes it took ages but I managed it.

I've been considering just making a spiral minecart track that is constantly powered with minecarts constantly moving on it. Somewhat regretting my decision with the travel times to get up there now, but damn the spawns are good.

Edit: Zipper elevator breaks with any kind of frame drop or latency.

defel

Damn, I have a zipper elevator that works in vanilla MC, but for the elevator to get me where I need, it needs to be 128 blocks high so an enderpearl elevator doesn't quite cut it. I made a mob spawner in my survival map at 196 blocks for best spawning, yes it took ages but I managed it.

I've been considering just making a spiral minecart track that is constantly powered with minecarts constantly moving on it. Somewhat regretting my decision with the travel times to get up there now, but damn the spawns are good.

Edit: Zipper elevator breaks with any kind of frame drop or latency.

A lot of the redstone code will be changing in the next update so its very likely that many new elevator designs will be possible after the update. I know many of the redstone experts who created the original zipper elevators and piston elevators now use enderpeal elevators since all the others broke :/ Search for minecart elevators or now you can make some pig elevators. They travel upwards faster than you do in creative mode and probably will not break. Only problem is they can be tedious to make (especially the pig elevator)

Raxum

A lot of the redstone code will be changing in the next update so its very likely that many new elevator designs will be possible after the update. I know many of the redstone experts who created the original zipper elevators and piston elevators now use enderpeal elevators since all the others broke :/ Search for minecart elevators or now you can make some pig elevators. They travel upwards faster than you do in creative mode and probably will not break. Only problem is they can be tedious to make (especially the pig elevator)

Ah okay, I've looked at minecart elevators, and they're quite interesting, but the redstone code changing makes me want to wait until the next update to play around with it all too much. I might go back to playing around with a few mods and seeing what interesting stuff I can find.

I quite like the pig elevator myself.

Anyone have a bug where if you right click it acts as you did 2 or 3 simultaneous clicks? instead of one block placed it places 2 or 3, or on a door it will open and close. Happens to me on all the servers I play on.

Koomaster

Anyone have a bug where if you right click it acts as you did 2 or 3 simultaneous clicks? instead of one block placed it places 2 or 3, or on a door it will open and close. Happens to me on all the servers I play on.
Same here, also with chests, open/close. Anything I take out of the chest won't be in my inventory.

I've gotten used to gingerly tapping the mouse button to place blocks when that starts happening. I think it's just server lag as it goes away after a bit.

Morokh

The little Christmas place on Neocraft has now it's official /warp : Xmasville and some people are starting to build some things, and it's already shaping up quite nicely.

-Minsc-

Watch the first few minutes of this video and he deals with a similar problem in his world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4G70X2G6wk

essentially you place string in the chunks to keep it loaded and it gets rid of the lighting glitch. ofc there are so many lighting glitches that it may not be the same
I went ahead and built an ice generator based on the design in that video. It's located in the snow biome to the south of my farm. For those who don't know where that is (ie: too lazy to walk through the nether) I'll be adding a rail link off Domepolis. I'll build a section of the rail in my own style then I'll leave the rest for the rail crew to mesh on to. Or maybe I'll do the whole thing, who knows. Let me know Charlie which outer dome you'd like the rail to come off of.

I'll build a section of the rail in my own style then I'll leave the rest for the rail crew to mesh on to. Or maybe I'll do the whole thing, who knows. Let me know Charlie which outer dome you'd like the rail to come off of.

The plan for rail links is to have them go into the central pedestal like this :-

EasXz.png

(yeah yeah I build dome cities in single player too, I know I am sad, I need a life, I need to get laid yadda yadda yadda :p)

This is what the terminal will look like inside :-

riVGq.jpg

Those endermen farms are great, I need to access the end asap in my world now.

Is there a minimum level to get silk touch enchant on a pick? I need any level of silk touch, not sure if I should keep saving 30 levels and enchanting a pick with all 30 or make a bunch of low levels till I get silk touch.

Top Bottom