• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ark

In five months, the server will have been running for two years! Happy New Year!

I know I'm late, but I was at a party :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yup I recorded all 14 mins of it. Not bad going 20,000 fireworks in 14 mins (available in 1080p too) it kinda ballooned from 10 launchers too 20 launchers. It probably would've been more but I was running out of time.

Anyway Firstly thanks to Minsc for rigging up a single lever launch mechanism which made it a hell of a lot easier to start the display on time. Then of course Dryuriev who started it all off and made us a cool observation/get drunk platform.

Now without further ado I give you Neocraft's 2013 welcome celebrations :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d66yn2Rdb10

(HD version should be ready shortly, if it doesn't show up in the quality settings then give youtubes Commodore 64 a bit longer to sort it out).

Next year will be even better you'll see.

Wow, that's the first time I've seen the fireworks in Minecraft, they actually look pretty cool! Good job CC!

Happy New Years all!

In five months, the server will have been running for two years! Happy New Year!

Gentlemen I believe this momentous Anniversary SHALL NOT PASS without recognition. I believe we should honour (yes that is how you spell honour PROPERLY) this momentous occasion by blowing the crap out of stuff in 5 months time :-D

Stat!

Productive day for me.

I fixed my door, I did my storage (with picture frames) and I added a bit of a roof from the stairs to the main bedroom.

Still need to pretty up my storage room but its "done". On to my next project I guess. Either library or farm.

Anyone here familiar with shaders and modifying texture packs to support specular reflections and parallax occlusion? I've been messing with shaders of all sorts and have fallen in love with some of the looks.
2013-01-01_06.05.35.png

2013-01-01_06.04.34.png

2013-01-02_00.44.01.png
However, I almost want to make my own texture pack -- or at least update / convert one like Grids to 1.4.6 or 1.4.7 with shader support. Not sure where to begin :p

Morokh

The shader package for 1.4.6 was updated last week and I downloaded it and it played just fine on my new computer, but it's definitely too bright to play with it all the time. (Maybe there are some ways of tweaking that ?)

Raxum

Anyone here familiar with shaders and modifying texture packs to support specular reflections and parallax occlusion? I've been messing with shaders of all sorts and have fallen in love with some of the looks.

However, I almost want to make my own texture pack -- or at least update / convert one like Grids to 1.4.6 or 1.4.7 with shader support. Not sure where to begin :p

I tried out some of the shaders but found it was a bit of a bother to get them going before some of them were updated to the latest versions of minecraft. Really love the added effects, though it occasionally kills my fps. Usually fine however. Never managed to get the parallax occlusion to work, but it looks awesome.

I tried out some of the shaders but found it was a bit of a bother to get them going before some of them were updated to the latest versions of minecraft. Really love the added effects, though it occasionally kills my fps. Usually fine however. Never managed to get the parallax occlusion to work, but it looks awesome.

I'm using GLSL Shaders OF with Sildur's shader (as well as Sonic Ether's v8 stuff) and a few texture packs Sildur posted on his site. Sonic Ether's sitting in Magic Launcher as well, but it seems to have less compatible packs.

The parallax solution is only really useful on the "bumpier" packs and high res ones. I know it's either a greyscale map or colormap for it. The other being for specular reflection mapping. I'm sure I'll figure it out with enough time.

Raxum

I'm using GLSL Shaders OF with Sildur's shader (as well as Sonic Ether's v8 stuff) and a few texture packs Sildur posted on his site. Sonic Ether's sitting in Magic Launcher as well, but it seems to have less compatible packs.

The parallax solution is only really useful on the "bumpier" packs and high res ones. I know it's either a greyscale map or colormap for it. The other being for specular reflection mapping. I'm sure I'll figure it out with enough time.

Yeah I was using the GLSL Shaders OF with Sonic Ether's v10 stuff (took a while to get it working) but I saw something about Sonic Ether updating his shader pack to work with Magic Launcher, working with karyonix(?). I wish I was a bit more fluent in java so I could actually look at the what they've done. Might have a look anyway.

The parallax thing never worked for me, even with the recommended texture pack. Probably just missed a step or something.

Stat!

So after exploring this awesome ravine I Come back to my place to finish my hot air balloon.

Going to the back of my house to the sheep farm.

4xEWQ.png

I see this. What the hell?

j2sZn.png

Oh no. There are like 7 of these blocks around my house. Dry.

USLDO.png

This is the second thing Dry has done to my place. He dyed every sheep around my island pink. Like 100 of them. I go miles away and I still find 3-4 pink sheep.

PS: For those in survival who are making "power" weapons with the new enchanted books/anvil mechanics. I have about 7-8 extra books that I'm not using like unbreaking III for instance. If you want some, just ask, and you can have any you want.

Books I'm looking for? Fortune and looting.

Ranger X

You guys sleep on the wheel!!
New snapshot is out and there's much cool stuff in it!

■ Redstones circuits are more consistent and pistons should be more stable
■ Added the Redstone Comparator block (this replaces the Capacitor we talked about at Minecon)
■ Added the Daylight Detector block
■ Added a Hopper block (still work in progress)
■ Added a chest that activates redstone
■ Added weighted pressure plates that detect item stacks
■ Added Block of Redstone block (works as a pushable redstone torch)
■ Added a new ore to the Nether
■ Added a Nether Brick item for crafting Nether Brick blocks
■ A whole bunch of other stuff… Try for instance double-clicking items, or drag-placing them, in the inventory

Snapshot here:
■Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/13w01a/minecraft.jar
■Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/13w01a/minecraft_server.jar (or EXE)

LaneDS

Does anyone play with any regularity on the paid version for iOS? After playing maybe a hundred hours on the PC, I have tried the free version on both iPhone and iPad and can't imagine myself enjoying the paid one but am still tempted for times like tonight where I'll be on a long trip and want to mess with Minecraft. Seems so limited and mostly the controls are what keep me from paying the (admittedly small) price of $6 to check it out on the go, so I'm just curious for GAF opinions.

I got the Android version for $0.10 a year or so ago. The maps are incredibly small (like, Classic small), and there's virtually none of the features of the full game available. Added onto the awkward touch controls, and I just don't care for it.

LaneDS

I got the Android version for $0.10 a year or so ago. The maps are incredibly small (like, Classic small), and there's virtually none of the features of the full game available. Added onto the awkward touch controls, and I just don't care for it.

That's about what I was expecting, so I think I'm going to take your advice and pass on it and say thank you for the feedback.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there a video of all the new stuff yet?

Edit: Looking at the Wiki. Oh wow. This is going to be awesome. Keep going! Add more!

I wonder if the sorter block can be set up to allow items to sit on top of it if its "container" is full. So I can make a water conveyor belt line of a bunch of chests and have it fill each one one at a time. I need to try this out...

Morokh

Is there a video of all the new stuff yet?

Minecrafted, Docm77, Jl2579, Captainsparklez, Xisumavoid, and I guess many more already made videos about it.

With that simple hopper block, Minecraft entered a brand new industrial age :D

Many farm designs, will be able to be made fully automatic with a complete storage system, mass smelting/cooking will be possible with pretty much no need for the player to monitor it, AFK mob grinders will be easier than ever, even if you have low spawn rates.

Carts just became useful again for other things than player transportation.

And i'm not even talking about the redstone stuff, i don't understand it all (like the comparator) but it is obvious that it will definitely changes things in a very good way and open new possibilities .. and it's only the beginning :D

I'm fairly certain it will be possible to make a chicken coop where you collect eggs in a chest minecart, then send it to fill a dispenser that will spawn new chickens, while having a secondary mode where all the chickens fall and get cooked, all that in a loop with a storage system at the end.

Also, i've never bothered making an Oak tree farm or any tree farm with those water collecting streams for when the leaves decay, to collect the saplings/apples, because it is a lot of work to build, and you still have to stick around to collect the items.
Now on the other hand it will be really interesting, just build some water streams that collect everything in a chest, connect the chest to a furnace, and use your excess of saplings to smelt/cook, all very easily.

Very excited about all this :D

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The comparator takes advantage of a new feature of redstone wire. Basically every block from a source a piece of redstone is, the lower its power value. So it goes from 15 being full power to 0 being off. After 15 blocks you need to repeat the power to keep it going.

What the comparator does is it takes two power sources and compares their power amount and outputs on or off depending on which one is a higher value.

Could be pretty useful. Hopefully we get more single block solutions for many of the complex switches people have devised. I'd like to see a single block that acts as a T-Flip-Flop switch. (i.e. Power it once and it toggles on, again and it toggles off. Every time it's powered it inverts. Very useful. And a single block that does this would be amazingly useful.

-Minsc-

You guys sleep on the wheel!!
New snapshot is out and there's much cool stuff in it!

■ Redstones circuits are more consistent and pistons should be more stable
■ Added the Redstone Comparator block (this replaces the Capacitor we talked about at Minecon)
■ Added the Daylight Detector block
■ Added a Hopper block (still work in progress)
■ Added a chest that activates redstone
■ Added weighted pressure plates that detect item stacks
■ Added Block of Redstone block (works as a pushable redstone torch)
■ Added a new ore to the Nether
■ Added a Nether Brick item for crafting Nether Brick blocks
■ A whole bunch of other stuff… Try for instance double-clicking items, or drag-placing them, in the inventory

Snapshot here:
■Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/13w01a/minecraft.jar
■Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/13w01a/minecraft_server.jar (or EXE)

I think I just saw a flock of pigs passing by...

Could this be the beginning of a new age? Lets hope so. Just to think ahead here, it appears we'll need to plan how to trim and re-upload the nether. There is too much all ready invested in the place to do a simple reset.

That's called a lever. I click it and it toggles power on. Click it again, it toggles off.

Yes, a lever does that. However, when you take building aesthetics in mind levers just don't always cut it. There are times I want a button or pressure plate to act as a toggle. While there are aways it can be done with current game mechanics it generally take up space. Having a one block T-Flip Flop would be a dream come true.

defel

That's called a lever. I click it and it toggles power on. Click it again, it toggles off.

Ye but levers need to be activated by a player. A lever is not influenced by nearby redstone signals.

I dont actually want there to be a t-flip-flop block. I like the fact that you can make everything in minecraft from the basic building blocks.

-Minsc-

Ye but levers need to be activated by a player. A lever is not influenced by nearby redstone signals.

I dont actually want there to be a t-flip-flop block. I like the fact that you can make everything in minecraft from the basic building blocks.

You can still do everything the old fashioned way. ;) I agree, it can be fun doing everything large scale, however having a T-Flip Flop would give players more choice. There are instances I simply want my redstone device to be compact and functional.

edit: Things to note for the future:

- I may have to put my new storage room on hold. So many new ideas coming up. :D
- My Build/Domepolis rail station can now have a hopper designed cart loading/unloading system. :D I wanted hopper design but current methods were simply too bulky for the surface.

Morokh

This thing just needs to emit a redstone pulse when the container under it is full, it would make automating things even easier.

Many other things would need fixing, but it's a WIP and it works already quite well.

Ranger X

Yes, a lever does that. However, when you take building aesthetics in mind levers just don't always cut it. There are times I want a button or pressure plate to act as a toggle. While there are aways it can be done with current game mechanics it generally take up space. Having a one block T-Flip Flop would be a dream come true.

Yeah, I agree with that. Anyhow, this update looks interesting!
Although I don't see how people will make perfectly automatic stuff as they are suggesting. Also, can we UNLOAD chests with hoppers? I mean, if you put a hopper beside a chest, how does it know its for loading or unloading?

-Minsc-

This thing just need to emit a redstone pulse when the container under it is full, it would make automating things even easier.

Many other things would need fixing, but it's a WIP and it works already quite well.

Indeed, it certainly needs a method to trigger shipping of the minecart.

Plans to build a storage cart track to my new storage room from my crop area are all ready flowing through my mind.

Yeah, I agree with that. Anyhow, this update looks interesting!
Although I don't see how people will make perfectly automatic stuff as they are suggesting. Also, can we UNLOAD chests with hoppers? I mean, if you put a hopper beside a chest, how does it know its for loading or unloading?

As the hopper item image suggests, this is all very much a WIP. We'll have to wait and see. :)

Morokh

The size problem put aside, they are in the process of completely overhauling how redstone works, it is certainly safer to transform the little mechanism that are commonly used and useful anyway into blocks so that they can go further without looking back if it is still possible to patch something similar that still works with the base blocks.

It also simplifies things a bit, i've built t-flip flops, but i still must look at a tutorial every time, but if you give me a block and explain to me that it can do things like transform a button into what a lever does just by placing a block there it' way easier to build and to understand.

defel

Part of what makes minecraft so successful is the fact that you can make complicated machines which can be broken down into their constituent parts. I enjoy the fact that to make a simple clock in the game requires only redstone, repeaters and torches. As soon as you start introducing whole blocks in their place you remove the necessity to fundamentally understand the processes going on in the background. Mojang should draw the line at a point where anything is possible but it still requires the basic building blocks.

Morokh

As soon as you start introducing whole blocks in their place you remove the necessity to fundamentally understand the processes going on in the background.

I understand what your point is but i can only disagree with the specific point I'm quoting, even if they were to introduce some kind of t-flip flop block, you would still need to understand what the block actually does to use it properly.
You just would not need to know how to patch one up with different blocks.

A good example would be that to properly use a watch you have to know how to read time on it, not necessarily how the mechanic inside it works.

Could only make some parts of redstone a bit easier to grasp for some people.

-Minsc-

Just to chime in again, everything can still be done in the exploded fashion. For example, redstone repeaters once had to be physically built with redstone, torches, etc and can still be done so.

When learning redstone I believe a person should use the long way. I went though the minecraft wiki and started making the various logic gates. While I no where near understand what's actually going on it did help me get a good grasp on the basics. At the end of the day I'm not a big redstoner, if there's a block which helps simplify and condense something I'll gladly use it. Especially if it means I don't have to build an entire room to hide the guts of a system.

Ark

I think I know what the issue might be with /sethome not working. Although I have no idea whether the chat the server is running on is ChatManager/iChat or EssentialsChat, so if Mengy, Charlie or anyone else knows, that would be a huge help. ChatManager/iChat apparently isn't working, but I don't want to remove it without being 100% sure the server is using EssentialsChat, it's possible it's conflicting with the /sethome command.

adroit

Does anyone play with any regularity on the paid version for iOS? After playing maybe a hundred hours on the PC, I have tried the free version on both iPhone and iPad and can't imagine myself enjoying the paid one but am still tempted for times like tonight where I'll be on a long trip and want to mess with Minecraft. Seems so limited and mostly the controls are what keep me from paying the (admittedly small) price of $6 to check it out on the go, so I'm just curious for GAF opinions.
If you had an Android or Windows mobile device I'd suggest you take a look at Survivalcraft. I absolutely love it on my Nexus 7. It has infinite worlds, weather, clouds, sun, moon, etc. It has some basic circuitry stuff (no piston equivalent yet).

It doesn't run on iOS but here are some links in case anyone else is interested:

demo: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.candyrufusgames.survivalcrafttrial
paid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.candyrufusgames.survivalcraft
blog: http://kaalus.wordpress.com/
tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kaalus/videos

Top Bottom