• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

I was a bit bored, so did a quick render of the current state of Domepolis :-

YiIei.jpg

It's getting there, block by block urggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Ranger X

So, about the Gates...

I want to start the "Grinders and Farms Road".
Everybody having mob grinders and decent farms could have a portal for this. I think Harvester, Gold Nugget Farm, Endermen Farm, Blaze Rod Farm and my own.

So what if we use the Cobblestone Gates for that route?

Hey guys, my friends and I are trying to start ourselves a minecraft server, and we're getting some crazy lag right now. Does anyone know what the specs of the neocraft server are? Just so we can know if we're in the ballpark.

Ranger X

Ok so the "Grinders And Farms Road" had started.
There's now a gate that links to my new Mob Grinder. It's cobblestone to use for those gates. I'll be waiting for other players linking their mob grinders and farms or simply ask me to do it and I'll do.

Thanks for all the Iron Ingots, Guy Whose Name I Forgot. :lol:

Yeah that was me. Been drowning in Iron so... ;)

Insaniac

How about this for a portal hub? I still like my floating island, but I look at it and don't know what to do with it and It is a little cramped. I kinda came up with this as I was making mountains(which I love to do btw!).

UjLCN.png

LDEhS.png

Large structure set between 3 mountain ranges in a bay with an opening to an ocean, if you want to see it head north from the floating island if you know where that is.

Was thinking the main portal(the one from spawn) in the middle on raised platform. A limited number of other portal( like community projects like Domepolis) in the back towers with stairs leading down in the front towers to a lower section with personal portals. Thoughts?

what texture pack is that? I love those clouds

LogicStep

I bought it and holy shit I just spent hours in there just exploring and doing my thing.

I searched and couldn't find anything. Is there a modding thread? What are the recommended mods? Right now I'm fine with just graphic mods since the game is new to me.

-Minsc-

Ok so the "Grinders And Farms Road" had started.
There's now a gate that links to my new Mob Grinder. It's cobblestone to use for those gates. I'll be waiting for other players linking their mob grinders and farms or simply ask me to do it and I'll do.

I'll add a link at the gold farm warp when I get a chance.

Thanks again!

Also, anyone drowning in diamonds? :p

Normally I wouldn't think twice about donating a diamond pick. Unfortunately due the the recent addition of gates my diamond supply is dangerously low. It be time I spend a couple days underground. :)

I bought it and holy shit I just spent hours in there just exploring and doing my thing.

I searched and couldn't find anything. Is there a modding thread? What are the recommended mods? Right now I'm fine with just graphic mods since the game is new to me.

We don't have a specific thread on the topic. There's a whole forum category over at minecraftforum.net which should help get you on your way.

I recommend looking in to Magic Launcher to help with managing and installing mods, seems to work quite slick for me. As for mods I use Optifine and Rei's Minimap. Optifine helps to improve minecraft performance and gives the user greater control over graphical settings. If there's one mod to get it's Optifine. Rei's Minimap provides the game with a handy minimap which shows mob and player locations, gives a good over view of the land, allows the placement of waypoints, and other things I don't pay attention to.

LaneDS

Is there any reason to use the official Minecraft server software versus something like Bukkit? Looking into Bukkit I see you can setup plugins for remote administration and what seems like a ton of other stuff, so I'm wondering if I should shift my existing Minecraft survival server that myself and a few buddies have made a decently lived in world on over to Bukkit or some other well-regarding third party server software.

Unrelated (mostly!) I was and am super impressed by the Neocraft server; reading some of the discussion here it sounds like it's mostly a survival server (versus creative) so the amount of work that has gone into that, playing it mostly (entirely?) straight survival is absolutely nuts to me.

789shadow

Banned
Is there any reason to use the official Minecraft server software versus something like Bukkit? Looking into Bukkit I see you can setup plugins for remote administration and what seems like a ton of other stuff, so I'm wondering if I should shift my existing Minecraft survival server that myself and a few buddies have made a decently lived in world on over to Bukkit or some other well-regarding third party server software.

Unrelated (mostly!) I was and am super impressed by the Neocraft server; reading some of the discussion here it sounds like it's mostly a survival server (versus creative) so the amount of work that has gone into that, playing it mostly (entirely?) straight survival is absolutely nuts to me.
Well, with all the harvesters and grinders you can use, it isn't exactly straight survival now. :p

Ranger X

Not so straight as it uses Bukkit mod, Creative mode, Creative Gates mod, etc.
People also have flying habilities too. For sure you can play survival for yourself though. That's what I do. I never fly, never spawn stuff,etc.

Also, a survival server in multiplayer would also mean PVP which Neocraft isn't.

LogicStep

Man this is pissing me off. I'm trying to install Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders but it's just not working. I'm doing what the instructions say but my game just won't take it. The game loads up, doesn't look any different than stock and as soon as I open my inventory the game crashes.

I'm trying different methods and it just doesn't work. Now I just get a black screen as soon as I boot up the game.

LaneDS

Well, with all the harvesters and grinders you can use, it isn't exactly straight survival now. :p

Not so straight as it uses Bukkit mod, Creative mode, Creative Gates mod, etc.
People also have flying habilities too. For sure you can play survival for yourself though. That's what I do. I never fly, never spawn stuff,etc.

Also, a survival server in multiplayer would also mean PVP which Neocraft isn't.

Ah, wasn't quite sure of the setup but hearing people talk about borrowing diamond tools and what not gave me a somewhat incorrect impression; whatever it is, it's damn impressive and one day I will likely make some humble addition to it hopefully.

I think I'll try switching my existing server to a Bukkit server tonight simply for things like remote administration and auto-saves.

Ark

Ah, wasn't quite sure of the setup but hearing people talk about borrowing diamond tools and what not gave me a somewhat incorrect impression; whatever it is, it's damn impressive and one day I will likely make some humble addition to it hopefully.

I think I'll try switching my existing server to a Bukkit server tonight simply for things like remote administration and auto-saves.

People can choose to play in creative or survival mode. Totally up to them.

Most of my build has been survival. There have been somethings done in creative for testing and also because of the danger involved with the work (really really really high up). Either way though there are some super impressive builds on the server.

-Minsc-

As Ark said the choice is up to the player. We're quite accepting of both play styles. There are projects which are simply not feasible to do in survival, especially when done by one person.

The majority of my Minecrafting is done in survival mode. I collect all my building materials* the hard way. As for mob grinders, I have no qualms using them. There are times on community projects I'll switch over to creative mode but all my own projects are done in survival. When in creative I opt not to spawn materials. If I want diamond I go out an mine it. ;)

* My exception is Chiseled Stone Brick, why we can't craft this is beyond me.

microtubule

The 1.4.7 patch for Minecraft has now been posted to the launcher. This was pre-released two weeks ago, and the fixes were:

Fixed crash related to arrows fired from dispensers
Fixed a multiplayer crash when using fireworks without a fireworks star
Fixed long timeout when checking SRV records

1.4.7 is out!

Was inspired by something at Domepolis so I had to expand it.

Happy Birthday Charlie!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I have to say I am quite literally "speechless". I don't know whether to thank you or ban you ;-) But at least the character models in the pixel art are better than the character models in Mass Effect 3.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I have to say I am quite literally "speechless". I don't know whether to thank you or ban you ;-) But at least the character models in the pixel art are better than the character models in Mass Effect 3.

You love it, just admit it. Now when domepolis is finished you should move them to a nice shrine somewhere.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I cannot wait to incorporate Hoppers into my automatic chicken farm. I just wish they'd create pipes that I can use to then take the items from the bottom and push them back up to the top. Or at the very least let us connect Hopper's horizontally and upwards. Piping would be so much more useful.

Do Hoppers still only work with one of the two chests in a double-chest? I really hope they fix that somehow so that double-chests can be treated as a single entity. Right now when a hopper fills up the half it's connected to it will stop instead of flowing into the other half. Seems like it'd be a trivial thing to fix. Make it so when the hopper attempts to put an item in a chest that is full it just checks for a connected chest to dispense into instead.

We're gonna have to go a loooong ways in the nether to get to newly generated stuff, lol.

But, by the looks of it, totally worth it. Finally some good lookin' blocks!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So how common is Nether Quartz? Is it very common or a rare thing? By the looks of how much you can do with it I would hope it'd be pretty common.

defel

I cannot wait to incorporate Hoppers into my automatic chicken farm. I just wish they'd create pipes that I can use to then take the items from the bottom and push them back up to the top. Or at the very least let us connect Hopper's horizontally and upwards. Piping would be so much more useful.

As far as Im aware hoppers can be connected horizontally. For upward transport you can just use minecarts or there are also very simple item elevator designs that work very well

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't want to rely on carts or quirks in the game to move items upwards. I'd much rather have official means like pipes or upside-down/horizontal hoppers.

Carts would be a last resort, but would be such overkill and a huge mess in larger storage facilities.

Top Bottom