• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

spuit*11

Banned
OMG xD the hopper (and other containers in the game) actually emits a redstone signal ! the signal strength is equal to the number of items (stacks) it contains.

Automatic item sorter for mob farms :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_YApaD-Aqc

135463140556g8qzl.gif

I will have to redesign everything.

[edit]Just tried it out and it works like a charm. The best thing about this whole thing is you can stack your chests as high as you like with hoppers between them so you won't have to worry about emptying anything out. And you can just check the top chest to see if the whole stack is near being full.

-Minsc-

I will have to redesign everything.

[edit]Just tried it out and it works like a charm. The best thing about this whole thing is you can stack your chests as high as you like with hoppers between them so you won't have to worry about emptying anything out. And you can just check the top chest to see if the whole stack is near being full.

Hey spuit,

I was wondering something. They show the hoppers holding four full stacks of items and one 20-ish stack of items. Do the full stacks have to be the resource you are sorting or could they be replaced with something common like dirt?

Ark

The good news:

• Death messages are back
  • I've implemented CreativeGates construction/destruction permissions for Donators and up (need a Citizen guinea pig to test lower permissions)

The bad news:

• I still haven't figured out how to fix /sethome yet

For anyone that doesn't know how CreativeGates works, check this out. Just keep in mind that portals made out of the same material will link to each other.

spuit*11

Banned
Hey spuit,

I was wondering something. They show the hoppers holding four full stacks of items and one 20-ish stack of items. Do the full stacks have to be the resource you are sorting or could they be replaced with something common like dirt?
The 4 stacks in the hopper can be anything.

But the 9 stacks in the dispenser have to be of the same type of what you're trying to get in your chest for obvious reasons. If you decide to go with dispensers that is.

adroit

Strange...I just got a password reset e-mail from Mojang which I didn't request. Anyone else get one? The e-mail was cryptographically signed by mojang.com so presumably it really came from them and not some fraudster.

So here's an update on my NeoCraft Let's Play:

41 is coming mid-week. Last episode at the fortress for a bit and we build something new, because ...

42 (which I've started recording) and 43 will be at GAF Kong! Yes, I'm finally going to be building there and you should be, too. (See, I told you I'd remember, Liz :p)

44 is tentatively going to be a return to Domepolis to see what's new, since we haven't been there in a few weeks, and we might play around with the new portals.

45 is tentatively a trip out to Disneyland NeoCraft. I'm hoping to show people's projects off the next few episodes because 46 will be the beginning of either the Portal Room (if 1.5 is out; I'm building it with Nether Brick) or the Bridge (if it is not).

50 is going to be a special episode and it'll probably be, at this rate, coming in late February/early March. There will also be a one-year special on May 23.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Although I'm excited with more redstone-interactable blocks, I'm really wary about these blocks accidentally interacting with each other, especially with vanilla redstone wires and their clunky mechanics.

I'd also like to chime in and say that I am also for the miniaturization of simple redstone circuits into one-block solutions, which is why I get so giddy when RedPower2 updates. (Because sometimes you'd rather just build a toggle latch to easily open and close your Piston doors using a button, rather then the ill-informed monstrosity I eventually built in Vanilla because buttons didn't supply a constant signal for the pistons.)

If nothing else, I would like to see a miniaturization block, which allows you to place down a single block that represents a 32x32x10 space, which allows people to assembly-code their redstone circuits down to each individual torch, and also allows people to stuff their logic circuits into much smaller spaces.

I have a question for long time players. Is there ever a suitable time when it's alright to abandon spelunking and branch mining altogether to focus on building? I have 5 full stacks of diamond at my disposal, and my supplies of cobblestone, wood, sand, coal, etc. average at about 2-3 full chests respectively. Has anyone ever been so caught up in the building end of things that they eventually ran out of resources before they realized it? That's always my concern; that I'll get caught up building and running out of resources.

Has anyone ever purposely focused on building to complete depletion as a means of pacing themselves? I, for example, branch mine until I use up the diamond pick axe that I use.

As posted earlier Ark added a portal addon to the server and asked someone to make a central portal hub, Gonna give a shot. Started with a couple ideas and ended up thinking an island in the sky with some sort of sky temple thing would be a fit the bill. Heres a little look of what I have so far.

wRb3V.png

-Minsc-

I have a question for long time players. Is there ever a suitable time when it's alright to abandon spelunking and branch mining altogether to focus on building? I have 5 full stacks of diamond at my disposal, and my supplies of cobblestone, wood, sand, coal, etc. average at about 2-3 full chests respectively. Has anyone ever been so caught up in the building end of things that they eventually ran out of resources before they realized it? That's always my concern; that I'll get caught up building and running out of resources.

Has anyone ever purposely focused on building to complete depletion as a means of pacing themselves? I, for example, branch mine until I use up the diamond pick axe that I use.

It's really up to the player as there is no right or wrong way to play. Only in the past couple weeks have I started visiting my branch mine again as my diamond supplies were/are beginning to dwindle. Personally I find it's nice to stock up on the essentials.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How do you buy this game? I need two PC copies, but the website keeps saying it is too busy. Come on, don't they want money? BTW this isn't a web only game is it? The demo is in the browser, you an DL a standalone game right?

-Minsc-

How do you buy this game? I need two PC copies, but the website keeps saying it is too busy. Come on, don't they want money? BTW this isn't a web only game is it? The demo is in the browser, you an DL a standalone game right?

Yep, there's a version you download.

adroit

I can't find my Minecraft folders on my hard drive at all. :(
AppData is a hidden directory. If you are using Windows Explorer (or whatever the file system browser is called these days), Windows won't let you see hidden directories unless you change the folder view settings to show hidden folders.

Alternatively, you can open a command prompt and type the following to change to the Minecraft screenshot directory:

cd %appdata%\.minecraft\screenshots

Note that there is a period (.) before minecraft.

789shadow

Banned
AppData is a hidden directory. If you are using Windows Explorer (or whatever the file system browser is called these days), Windows won't let you see hidden directories unless you change the folder view settings to show hidden folders.

Alternatively, you can open a command prompt and type the following to change to the Minecraft screenshot directory:

cd %appdata%\.minecraft\screenshots

Note that there is a period (.) before minecraft.
Didn't work, and I still can't find the folder with hidden enabled

789shadow

Banned
So I guess this is what happens when you don't create any new chunks for months and months and months.

iMyNR8wmWxuw5.png

Also, I want to do something interesting with my portal room. Here's what I have now:

Any suggestions?

Unicorn

Can someone help me. Everytime I play Minecraft it'll be good for about 10 minutes, then it'll freeze and the framerate will drop off the map. I have to quit out and start it again to get rid of the problem.

Sucks really bad when it causes me to die and I lose all my shit.

I have an i5 750@2.67ghz, GTX460, and 4gb RAM.

What gives?

Koomaster

Can someone help me. Everytime I play Minecraft it'll be good for about 10 minutes, then it'll freeze and the framerate will drop off the map. I have to quit out and start it again to get rid of the problem.

What gives?
If you leave it on with the low frame rate, does it clear up again in say 2min?

If so, I'd suggest cleaning out your pc as dust has probably clogged up one of your fans and something is overheating.

What is the most aesthetically pleasing resource to use as a road? Sand/Sandstone, stone bricks, cobblestone, wood, or gravel? I'm looking to branch out from my main center of operations. Should I make my road 3 blocks wide or more?

Morokh

Also, what's the best exp farm for basic survival mode?

In terms of work needed and efficiency, if you look for the best option possible i would say an Enderman farm in the end.

It's trickier to build than most of the main world ones, but you don't have to light up caves all around for it to maximize efficiency so it requires way less work.

Close second would be a blaze farm, or a double/triple cave spider XP farm, but they are both a pain to build/find.

But if you're not really after maximum efficiency, or looking to do mass enchanting sessions, a regular spawner-based XP farm combined with some smelting/cooking will just do the trick.

crackhead_bob said:
What is the most aesthetically pleasing resource to use as a road? Sand/Sandstone, stone bricks, cobblestone, wood, or gravel? I'm looking to branch out from my main center of operations. Should I make my road 3 blocks wide or more?

When you're talking about aesthetically pleasing things there is really no set rules for block combinations, my best advice would be to just try combinations by making small patches of it and see what YOU like the most (especially since you're playing in your single player world).

There is obviously some combination of blocks that are considered by the majority as 'working good' together, but even with them it also depends on the ratio between the two materials, the biome you're in and the overall theme/look of what you have already built, and in the end when all things are considered, even the 'odd' combinations can fit or look good. (Texture pack can really change things too, but I don't recall you talking about one)

If you don't know what to try you can also easily google 'Minecraft road', or 'Minecraft floor pattern' or things like that i'm sure you'll find some interesting things, even with blocks you would never have thought of.

As for the size, same thing, it's all about personal preference, but going with odd numbers if your builds are also built with odd numbers may be a good idea.

Ranger X

I guess you do what you want. I personally see alot of 2 blocks wide gravel roads. That's also how I do it and like it like that.

defel

Also, what's the best exp farm for basic survival mode?

Simplest xp farm would be a spider spawner farm. Its relatively easy to find two spider spawners close enough to eachother that you can make a dual farm and it doesnt take long to get the 30 levels now. I reckon 10-15 mins of afk-ing one will get you to level 30. Docm77 has a good guide on creating a basic mob farm here

Blaze farms are a pain in the ass to make without the resources and ender farms even more so but if you want to make one I recommend Etho's blaze farm and panda4994's Ender farm respectively (just search those on youtube to find them)

For anyone that hasnt seen it there is a pretty cool afk xp farm doing the rounds which uses the silverfish spawner and a pet dog. Spawn silverfish, drop them down to half a heart and let your dog kill it. It requires a beacon so you dont die of hunger but if you want to gain levels while you sleep its a good design. You can check one out on youtube here

789shadow

Banned
I finished up the classic canal farm last night. It works as intended, but it isn't quite as efficient as I would like. Guess I need to light up my strip mine's blocked off passages.

How about this for a portal hub? I still like my floating island, but I look at it and don't know what to do with it and It is a little cramped. I kinda came up with this as I was making mountains(which I love to do btw!).

UjLCN.png

LDEhS.png

Large structure set between 3 mountain ranges in a bay with an opening to an ocean, if you want to see it head north from the floating island if you know where that is.

Was thinking the main portal(the one from spawn) in the middle on raised platform. A limited number of other portal( like community projects like Domepolis) in the back towers with stairs leading down in the front towers to a lower section with personal portals. Thoughts?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hope they modify the Hopper to deal with double chests as a single entity instead of just dealing with the half it's connected to. It will make my inventory room sooo much better. Also give us a way to filter specific items. And maybe also craft piping that can act like Redstone in that instead of transporting power it transports items up to 15 blocks. (And thus can be repeated by way of a chest or Hopper based repeater)

Also as Etho said, make a light block that can glow as brightly as the power it is receiving since we can now have 15 levels of power, and we have 15 levels of light.

I hope they take as long as they can on this update and add as much cool stuff as possible.

-Minsc-

So I guess this is what happens when you don't create any new chunks for months and months and months.

iMyNR8wmWxuw5.png

Also, I want to do something interesting with my portal room. Here's what I have now:

Any suggestions?

These are hard questions to answer as we all have different building styles. Your portal room could be a simple shack or it could be one room in a giant castle. Since it appears your portal is in the open build something that fits with the rest of your building theme in the area to house it.

Reading your post I get the impression you are playing offline. My recommendation is to hop on NeoCraft. I've found looking at others builds has been the best way to get inspiration. There are things I do now I never would have thought up if I stayed offline.

789shadow

Banned
These are hard questions to answer as we all have different building styles. Your portal room could be a simple shack or it could be one room in a giant castle. Since it appears your portal is in the open build something that fits with the rest of your building theme in the area to house it.

Reading your post I get the impression you are playing offline. My recommendation is to hop on NeoCraft. I've found looking at others builds has been the best way to get inspiration. There are things I do now I never would have thought up if I stayed offline.
My laptop can't handle online servers, but I'll give it a try. Do I need to be whitelisted?

LaneDS

What gives?

I'd bet good money you've got the wrong version of Java, since I had a very similar problem along with my brother and explicitly installing the 64 bit version direct from Sun's website fixed this issue for me. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd provide a more detailed response but hopefully that is enough to help you out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'd bet good money you've got the wrong version of Java, since I had a very similar problem along with my brother and explicitly installing the 64 bit version direct from Sun's website fixed this issue for me. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd provide a more detailed response but hopefully that is enough to help you out.

Yeah, likewise, it could run for 30 minutes no problem then bam, framerate went to shit or it straight up crashed.

Uninstalling java and installing the 64 bit edition fixed it.

LogicStep

I think I'm finally gonna try Minecraft. I loved Terraria so hopefully I like this as well. I got tired of Terraria because I pretty much saw everything there was to see there pretty fast. Hopefully there's more to do in Minecraft. What's the best way to do this? Just run in blindly and figure it out myself?

Vlad

I think I'm finally gonna try Minecraft. I loved Terraria so hopefully I like this as well. I got tired of Terraria because I pretty much saw everything there was to see there pretty fast. Hopefully there's more to do in Minecraft. What's the best way to do this? Just run in blindly and figure it out myself?

Yeah, thats the way I'd recommend. The thing is that Minecraft has a lot less guidance on how to make stuff than Terraria does. With Terraria, you could easily see how much of what you needed to craft stuff, while Minecraft doesn't even tell you what you can make, let alone how to make it. There's a rudimentary achievment system that gives you some ideas of what you can do, but that's it. There's no shame in looking up info on the wiki when it comes to crafting recipes.

One thing I'd warn you about now is that Minecraft doesn't have nearly the amount of different items/weapons/etc that Terraria does. The draw comes from exploration and building in an infinite 3d world, which kept me entertained far longer than Terraria did.

There's also a TON of mods out there once you're sick of the vanilla Minecraft experience, so be prepared for your free time to go bye-bye.

Top Bottom