• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it perormw pretty well considering what it's trying to render. Only thi I find odd is that it seems to work much better on macs than PC. Eg on my MBP (2.4GHz core2duo, 9400m - nothing fancy), it's really fast even at full draw distance. But on our family laptop (core u2, 4GB, intel HD IGP) it's really slow even at short draw distance.

I hope they'll look at multiplayer performance soon. Seems like there is something inherently inefficient about it.

strata8

mrklaw said:
I think it perormw pretty well considering what it's trying to render. Only thi I find odd is that it seems to work much better on macs than PC. Eg on my MBP (2.4GHz core2duo, 9400m - nothing fancy), it's really fast even at full draw distance. But on our family laptop (core u2, 4GB, intel HD IGP) it's really slow even at short draw distance.

I hope they'll look at multiplayer performance soon. Seems like there is something inherently inefficient about it.
No kidding.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought the 9400m was pretty crappy (it's over 3 years old and wasn't great even at the time), whereas intel's HD graphics are pretty good these days? And Isn't minecraft more CPU found, in which case the newer u2 should do pretty well.

I'd be interested to know what makes it run better - if I have to buy a new laptop this year, i'd like one that is 'minecraft compatible’

rdelaney said:
What do you mean? That depends how much real life area you decide each minecraft block is worth. I do agree with you though, I don't think formations are any more or less impressive, it's just a randomly generated thing.

Minecraft blocks are 1 metre cubed, and the player is 1.7 metres tall, from Notch himself.
The current version of Minecraft is theoretically capable of generating a map with a surface area 8 times that of the Earth.

Eccocid

Barberetti said:
Minecraft blocks are 1 metre cubed, and the player is 1.7 metres tall, from Notch himself.
The current version of Minecraft is theoretically capable of generating a map with a surface area 8 times that of the Earth.

i wish game world was largen vertically..its so easy to reach bottom and sky level..i dont care surface area too much..i want underground mines go forever deeper and deeeeeeepeeeeeeeeeer!

Wired

Eccocid said:
i wish game world was largen vertically..its so easy to reach bottom and sky level..i dont care surface area too much..i want underground mines go forever deeper and deeeeeeepeeeeeeeeeer!

True enough, totally agree. Though a happy compromise would be to have more airspace, I want towers to the moon damn it! :p

Sofo

Question for Exano's server peeps! I finally made it back, after some time and for some reason, my lifts don't really work well? Sometimes I have to "jump" for them to work, it says "You would have nothing to stand on.", is it possible it is because the surface is glass?

Also to whomever wrote Hi! Hi back!

Ah, and it says I'm not allowed to make elevators? wtf ;_;/

Blizzard said:
It could be that you're crazy and like your particular alpha map. *shrug* Or it could be that mountains are actually smaller and big valleys do not happen anymore due to biomes. I guess if anyone else has an area that's as big as your screenshots, feel free to post it?

My world has got plenty of this kind of stuff:

314coyh.png

34dsbq0.png

Eccocid said:

Wired said:
True enough, totally agree. Though a happy compromise would be to have more airspace, I want towers to the moon damn it! :p

Agreed. I'd love some more verticality, and if verticality isn't a word, it damn well should be!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Deeper why? Just for depths sake, sure. But for sheer volume of material available to mine, there is more than enough

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
Deeper why? Just for depths sake, sure. But for sheer volume of material available to mine, there is more than enough

Indeed. If there's something to add, I would add "air space". Reaching the sky limit is pretty easy and fast right now. I wouldn't mind being able to do higher towers, to see bigger mountains maybe.

strata8

Ranger X said:
Indeed. If there's something to add, I would add "air space". Reaching the sky limit is pretty easy and fast right now. I wouldn't mind being able to do higher towers, to see bigger mountains maybe.
Completely agree.

WorldPainter.jpg

BooJoh

The difference between the world being expansive and the world being deeper/taller is that when a chunk loads, it loads from the top of the world to the bottom, in its entirety. So reducing the possible size of the world wouldn't really affect the ability to make it taller. If it was taller, then performance would take a hit.

The likely compromise seems to be making the world taller such that you can build a bit higher than you can now, but mountains won't generate higher than they do now, so that performance wouldn't really take much of a hit from the added blocks of taller mountains, but players would have the option of building higher.

strata8

BooJoh said:
The difference between the world being expansive and the world being deeper/taller is that when a chunk loads, it loads from the top of the world to the bottom, in its entirety. So reducing the possible size of the world wouldn't really affect the ability to make it taller. If it was taller, then performance would take a hit.

The likely compromise seems to be making the world taller such that you can build a bit higher than you can now, but mountains won't generate higher than they do now, so that performance wouldn't really take much of a hit from the added blocks of taller mountains, but players would have the option of building higher.
Don't think it'll make a difference since the chunk data is still in the memory - empty or not.

Vlad

bengraven said:
I ended up downloading an update today...now I can't log into the factions server.

Am I the only one?

You pretty much never want to update until any servers you want to play on update first. It always takes a while for the various mods and plugins to get updated, so people often just hold off on updating until the server's ready.

Still, I didn't get any updates. What version number are you on?

Mikor

bengraven said:
I ended up downloading an update today...now I can't log into the factions server.

Am I the only one?

Looked at logs, don't see any failed login attempts. You should be on version 1.4_01 to play.

As a reminder, see post #1811 by Exano for instructions on how to get the address to the Beta server.

bengraven

I didn't actually force a download. That's weird, I haven't done anything with MC since playing last night. Hm.

Okay, so it's letting me in now. Very strange.

Grinchy

Banned
Treefingers said:
Video of 1.5 features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy882ILYJMM

:D

Looks incredible.
Yeah that looks GREAT. The rain really looks nice to me.

A side note on servers updating with new versions...I don't know if it's animlboogy directly, but someone on Asscraft seems to update the server immediately when there's a new update. It's very much appreciated.

animlboogy said:
Anybody know a cheap way to get bigger files uploaded? The .png size of the Minecraft renders is too big for free MediaFire uploads.
I'm not positive, but I think megaupload lets you do like 200GB on free acount.
http://www.megaupload.com/?c=signup

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Looks really impressive, the only thing I dont like is that even if you see the lightning you dont hear seconds later the sound of thunder. Only adding that sound will give chills.

I assume the sound effect just isn't implemented yet. Doubt they'd add lightning without thunder.

It will be glorious.

Atomski

Ranger X said:
Only if you can set the distance farther. Getting to the top and not seeing far is kinda sad :(.

Kuran

Banned
Atomski said:
Hmm have any links? I searched google and found 2 mods but the download links to both did not work...

wow worst trailer ever.. so embarrassing for the guy. I tried the demo and it was pretty awful. But it is to bad Notch will probably never make a cconsole version.

Let's hope Minecraft for iPad 2 will be feature-parity with the main game, that has a lot of potential in my opinion.

Treefingers said:

897267_o.gif

So, so so fucking sad.

The commentator and the music is just awfull. "Check out the new kids on the block" Fuckin :lol
The girl saying is not a reskin of minecraft
The idiot that says that he doesnt wnat to be a pc gamer becuase he is a console gamer
The 8 year old kid staying midnight :lol
The avatars akward moving around in a minecraft texture pack.

Its all pure gold.

NBtoaster

GDJustin said:
at 49 seconds into that video you can see lightning strike the ground, with fire appearing for a moment. So folks that build out of wood, beware, I suppose. Unless the lightning fire is just an effect and doesn't spread.

The rain probably immediately puts it out. Wonder how rain and lava mix.

Cranzor

1.5 looks fantastic, I love the rain. Maybe I'll try to get back into Minecraft once 1.5 comes out, I just wish my computer could run it good...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I really wish he would fix the nether in multiplayer... :(

Top Bottom