• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Wool

Well, I'm pretty much done with the outside of my Statue of Liberty on Exano's server.

It could be better, but I am tired of gathering green wool and I'm not sure if anyone is even playing on the server anymore. If you click the picture you can look at the large version.

Grinchy

Banned
That statue of liberty is awesome!

It's strangely related to the new place I'm working on. It's going to be a little on the Presidential side. I'm still very early in, just barely finished the front so far.

Ofyrd.png

pirata

Treefingers said:

NEXT TIME, ON FORTRESSCRAFT Z...

GOKU PUNCHES HIS WAY THROUGH THE GROUND AND COMES FACE-TO-FACE WITH A SKELETON DUNGEON! COULD THIS SPELL THE END FOR OUR HERO? DOES THE POPE SHIT IN THE WOODS? MEANWHILE, VEGETA, IN AN ATTEMPT TO BEST HIS RIVAL, GOKU, DECIDES TO TRAIN IN THE HYPERVOLIC NETHER CHAMBER AT 10X NETHERRACK! ALSO, GOHAN IS FORCED TO FARM SUGARCANE TO BUILD A LIBRARY TO STUDY. BUT WITH THE SPACE-CREEPERS ONLY TWO MONTHS FROM LANDING ON EARTH, CAN GOHAN AFFORD TO SLACK OFF ON HIS MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING IN ORDER TO GET AN EDUCATION THAT WOULD ENABLE HIM TO HAVE A FUNCTION IN SOCIETY OTHER THAN FLYING AROUND AND KILLING ALIENS WITH MAGICAL HAND-LASERS? FIND OUT, ON THE NEXT EXCITING EPISODE OF FORTRESSCRAFT Z!

Foxix Von

So I've watched a bunch of seananner's videos and I just started to watch the yogscast multiplayer videos.

I gotta say now that I have a computer that could run it, I'm really tempted.

Qwomo

The yogscast is pretty great, but Lewis is frustratingly thick sometimes. He plays video games like my grandmother.

Ranger X

I made a pyramid tonight. There was some unused space within my ranch's boundaries so I felt like building something contrasting. I love how rewarding are those "one evening projects", it's alot of fun.

pyramid01.png

pyramid03.png

pyramid02.png

:)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Foxix said:
So I've watched a bunch of seananner's videos and I just started to watch the yogscast multiplayer videos.

I gotta say now that I have a computer that could run it, I'm really tempted.

The Yogscast is what made me finally bite the bullet and buy Minecraft too. I love Simon so much.

Join the party :p

Sofo

rdelaney said:
Well, I'm pretty much done with the outside of my Statue of Liberty on Exano's server.

It could be better, but I am tired of gathering green wool and I'm not sure if anyone is even playing on the server anymore. If you click the picture you can look at the large version.
I do!

Sofo said:
Question for Exano's server peeps! I finally made it back, after some time and for some reason, my lifts don't really work well? Sometimes I have to "jump" for them to work, it says "You would have nothing to stand on.", is it possible it is because the surface is glass?

Also to whomever wrote Hi! Hi back!

Ah, and it says I'm not allowed to make elevators? wtf ;_;/
No one? O:

Zomba13

Treefingers said:
XD Such a horrible trailer. I'm no expert but if I was making a game that borrowed heavily from another, I'd have my trailers and marketing stuff focus on the things that makes it different, not focus on people saying it's like this other game but totally not.

I have to say though, I do like the lighting and water and some of the textures/models.

And I can't wait for minecraft weather :eek:

Ranger X

Zomba13 said:
XD Such a horrible trailer. I'm no expert but if I was making a game that borrowed heavily from another, I'd have my trailers and marketing stuff focus on the things that makes it different, not focus on people saying it's like this other game but totally not.

I have to say though, I do like the lighting and water and some of the textures/models.
And I can't wait for minecraft weather :eek:

Even then...
I downloaded it just for fun and god damned the game looks horrible. Try it. lol

Salaadin

Do tame wolves do things while youre a way? I have an indoor grassy area that spawns a lot of wildlife and my wolf is sitting in there by himself. I just went in after a few hours digging and found him moved and 22 pieces of wool scattered about but no sheep. Did my wolf just murder sheep?

Salaadin said:
Do tame wolves do things while youre a way? I have an indoor grassy area that spawns a lot of wildlife and my wolf is sitting in there by himself. I just went in after a few hours digging and found him moved and 22 pieces of wool scattered about but no sheep. Did my wolf just murder sheep?

You must have another wolf around =) Sitting wolves only sit until you tell them not to AFAIK.

Zomba13

Ranger X said:
Even then...
I downloaded it just for fun and god damned the game looks horrible. Try it. lol
Just tried it. The water looks good in the trailer but in game is pretty bad. I still think the lighting is alright but some textures glow/light up a bit too much and look bad. I think an HD minecraft with a clean and crisp look could look nice.

I think the trial should have been better. I mean it's a time limited version of Minecraft's creative mode. It's kinda cool though seeing what is basically Minecraft on the 360, and from what I gathered you could find 'Relics' hidden around (going off the TNT block I couldn't use). I think it'd be cool if in Minecrafts dungeons there was a chance of getting some rare loot like unique equips or tools with special properties.

Ranger X

Zomba13 said:
Just tried it. The water looks good in the trailer but in game is pretty bad. I still think the lighting is alright but some textures glow/light up a bit too much and look bad. I think an HD minecraft with a clean and crisp look could look nice.

I think the trial should have been better. I mean it's a time limited version of Minecraft's creative mode. It's kinda cool though seeing what is basically Minecraft on the 360, and from what I gathered you could find 'Relics' hidden around (going off the TNT block I couldn't use). I think it'd be cool if in Minecrafts dungeons there was a chance of getting some rare loot like unique equips or tools with special properties.

At least the concept is there already. You can get a saddle and cocoa beans only from chest in dungeons. And most of the time you have some stuff only available through crafting like bread and buckets -- wich therefore become "rare loot" as it's the only place you can get them outside crafting it.
But yeah I wouldn't mind something more meaningful like a tool. You open a chest and you find "Legendary Pike". Imagine it a new color, you cannot craft it and it lasts longer and is faster than diamond. :)

Shambles

If fortresscraft thinks looks seperate itself from minecraft they obviously haven't looked at any mods. My minecraft looks way better than what i'm seeing in that trailer.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Anyone else see the "Distance Flown" statistic in the 1.5 trailer?

Please add aircraft...

Could be to do with Dragons. Notch has hinted that he may add them at some point. If so, it will be amusing if you have to tame them first, like the wolves. I have a feeling there will be a lot of deaths by incineration the day that update gets released lol.

Ranger X

Barberetti said:
Could be to do with Dragons. Notch has hinted that he may add them at some point. If so, it will be amusing if you have to tame them first, like the wolves. I have a feeling there will be a lot of deaths by incineration the day that update gets released lol.

Dragons could be devastatingly awesome. Imagine he makes them quite rare but when he attacks you, stuff would also catch fire. One attack could burn a forest, melt ice and snow, etc. You would also catch fire yourself of course. I really think this could be a fantastic update. The stat there might probably be related to dragons as you said. A guy that hints at dragon multiple times, loves Skyrim and release his game the same day = fishy!

I really hope that Mojang starts adding some more updates of actual substance. What I mean by this is things that actually add to the gameplay of Minecraft...Maybe give it a goal? Right now all these changes seem to be aesthetic or just little cool diversions. I'm sure it would be difficult to add substantial changes that don't get in the way of what the game is right now, but really, right now the only way to really have fun with the game is to make your own fun.

I don't know, kind of rambling here, certainly not hating. I'd just like to see some updates that will actually beef up the gameplay and give the game some depth. Cause right now crafting/building is pretty much all there is to it.

parasight

Pankaks said:
The Yogscast is what made me finally bite the bullet and buy Minecraft too. I love Simon so much.

Join the party :p
+3

They sold 3 copies between me and my friends. Yognaughts for life!

Qwomo

CoffeeJanitor said:
I really hope that Mojang starts adding some more updates of actual substance. What I mean by this is things that actually add to the gameplay of Minecraft...Maybe give it a goal? Right now all these changes seem to be aesthetic or just little cool diversions. I'm sure it would be difficult to add substantial changes that don't get in the way of what the game is right now, but really, right now the only way to really have fun with the game is to make your own fun.

I don't know, kind of rambling here, certainly not hating. I'd just like to see some updates that will actually beef up the gameplay and give the game some depth. Cause right now crafting/building is pretty much all there is to it.
So... achievements and stats?

Cranzor

Relating to dragons, heres a part of a description from one of Notch's youtube videos made in June.

In the distant future, there will be more variation such as different terrain types (desert! swamp! snow!) and settlements (goblin village! abandoned stone tower! dragon lair!)

Heres the video.

Qwomo said:
So... achievements and stats?
That's more aesthetics to me...

I'm talking about expanding the concept of the dungeons (like above), I dunno. I wish their was more reason to go out and fight things. I would like it if the combat in the game were expanded a bit (maybe more/more effective weapons), I would like more and bigger enemies (think of fighting a big guy at the end of a dungeon), I would like rewards and items that actually help you accomplish things (i.e. not useless crap like cookies, coco, saddles etc)...This is very vague, but I think it's the dev's job to come up with this stuff.

Needless to say, this game has a huge amount of potential. I just hope Mojang starts pushing it at some point, because right now I'm just not seeing it.

parasight

More unique randomly generated dungeons would definitely be nice. Like the previously mentioned dragon lair. Things like Yeti settlements atop snow mountains. More outdoor dungeons/establishments. My friend suggested bicycles for faster ground transport and I thought it would fit pretty well in the Minecraft universe.

Enco

Human mobs at camps would be amazing.

Would kinda detract from the desolate world aesthetic but would be awesome.

Quests
More mobs
More useful items
Swamps
Weather - Done!
Stats - Done!
Achievements - Done!

Those are the must features.

Ranger X

As long as anything that is added doesn't go against the Sandbox nature of the game I am all good. And there's an infinity of things you can add to a sandbox game anyways.

I don't mind the achievement because they don't dictate the gameplay too much but achievements in itself are in fact a pre-made goal and this isn't "Sandbox". Creating our achievements with an implemented behavior/system would have been the perfect update.

If you take the person mentionning there could be quests. The point would be to update the game with a quest system where we could "make" our quests. THAT would be sandbox.

Ranger X said:
As long as anything that is added doesn't go against the Sandbox nature of the game I am all good. And there's an infinity of things you can add to a sandbox game anyways.

I don't mind the achievement because they don't dictate the gameplay too much but achievements in itself are in fact a pre-made goal and this isn't "Sandbox". Creating our achievements with an implemented behavior/system would have been the perfect update.

If you take the person mentionning there could be quests. The point would be to update the game with a quest system where we could "make" our quests. THAT would be sandbox.
No thanks dude. Maybe as an option, but I would also like the option to have the game give me an objective. Sitting down and trying to come up with something fun isn't really something I'm good at. That's a game dev's job

Im totally new and just tried it out after constantly seeing this thread getting bumped, but how does the mob thing/ monster thing work, how long is it before its nightime and all that?

So far im loving the fact that you can explore this huge land and make whatever you want, but I think im missing out on a lot of stuff

CoffeeJanitor said:
No thanks dude. Maybe as an option, but I would also like the option to have the game give me an objective. Sitting down and trying to come up with something fun isn't really something I'm good at. That's a game dev's job

As long as any objectives are optional and don't interfere with the sandbox nature of the game, I'm for it. Like I said earlier in the thread, useful loot in the dungeons that you can't obtain any other way would be good. Some hard "unique to dungeons" mobs that you have to fight in order to get to it would be even better.

The thing is though, the whole point of Minecraft is to make your own fun. So, the devs in this case may well feel that they have already done their job as far as the gameplay aspect of the game is concerned, in which case you may be out of luck if you're expecting specific objectives like quests or whatever to be added in the future.

I hope I'm wrong though. I'd play them if they were there :)

bobs99 ... said:
Im totally new and just tried it out after constantly seeing this thread getting bumped, but how does the mob thing/ monster thing work, how long is it before its nightime and all that?

So far im loving the fact that you can explore this huge land and make whatever you want, but I think im missing out on a lot of stuff

Day & night are 10 minutes each. At night you have mobs spawning in dark areas. So make sure you have everything in your bunker lit up =)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Treefingers said:
Day & night are 10 minutes each. At night you have mobs spawning in dark areas. So make sure you have everything in your bunker lit up =)
That's not true. A day lasts 10 minutes, and a night lasts 7 minutes. Sunrise and sunset last 1 minute and a half each.

Ranger X said:
Dragons could be devastatingly awesome. Imagine he makes them quite rare but when he attacks you, stuff would also catch fire. One attack could burn a forest, melt ice and snow, etc. You would also catch fire yourself of course. I really think this could be a fantastic update. The stat there might probably be related to dragons as you said. A guy that hints at dragon multiple times, loves Skyrim and release his game the same day = fishy!

They're being released the same day? Shit lol. Oh well, looks like I'll have to take a break from Minecraft for a few weeks.

Cranzor said:
Relating to dragons, heres a part of a description from one of Notch's youtube videos made in June.

Heres the video.

Heh, I've watched that before but never read the description. Mentioning dragons in a video of him flying eh? Hmmmm ... the plot thickens!

Top Bottom