• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

I meant like, adding multiple colors, blacks & whites to get varying hues. :(

Dyegraph.png

Such crap we can do that with shitty armor but not wool or anything.

Just found my first blaze spawner. I have 2 questions:

How do I create a grinder for harvesting blaze rods? Any tips on how to make traveling to that point less burdensome? It's really out of the way. Should I make a railway? I don't know the mechanics to strategic portal placing.

Yep! Dyed/colored clay blocks are coming in 1.6.

But the durability of clayblocks is absolute shit. Why clay blocks and not quartz? What the hell are quartz blocks good for anyway?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yep! Dyed/colored clay blocks are coming in 1.6.

Holy shit, they really are adding colored hardened clay blocks in 1.6? O_O

Okay, time to go on a huge clay collecting expedition tonight! Clay just became my number one building resource. Hell, it's time I install the latest snapshot and start using this stuff NOW.

defel

Ye the clay looks great, there's a good variety of subtle, pastel colours.

Im really really hoping they add new biomes. I think the entire game needs a world generation overhaul.

Mengy

Ye the clay looks great, there's a good variety of subtle, pastel colours.

Im really really hoping they add new biomes. I think the entire game needs a world generation overhaul.

I wouldn't say it needs an overhaul, but it could use some updates and tweaks. For example, a very tall mountain biome would be great, where snow would fall on anything over the old 128 sky limit (snow capped mountains). Also, the game desperately needs something added to the ground under ocean biomes. Some coral, underwater plants, old abandoned underwater villages and temples, just generally stuff to explore. A volcano biome would be awesome, as would a crater biome. And of course, floating islands.

ZZMitch

Water areas need a ton of work for sure. Right now they are just areas to cross in order to get to more important areas but there is so much potential there!

I wouldn't say it needs an overhaul, but it could use some updates and tweaks. For example, a very tall mountain biome would be great, where snow would fall on anything over the old 128 sky limit (snow capped mountains). Also, the game desperately needs something added to the ground under ocean biomes. Some coral, underwater plants, old abandoned underwater villages and temples, just generally stuff to explore. A volcano biome would be awesome, as would a crater biome. And of course, floating islands.

How long do you think this game will be supported by Mojang? Most AAA titles are usually given DLC's for about a year following release, and is then abandoned. You think this game will become the new Halo 2 in terms of longevity?

For quite a while, honestly; it's easily Mojang's biggest title, is a bit of a minor pop-culture sensation, and is still evidently riding high.

Doesn't hurt that it's not really an AAA title, so the budget for adding new features doesn't have to be extraordinarily high.

So what is the chance that the game will incorperate rotating blocks (for windmills) and more complex forms of transportations like aircrafts?

I would also like to see a wider array of animals represented in the game. Animals like ostriches, lions, hippos, sharks, and even mythological ones like sasquatches and chupacabres.

You'll probably be waiting forever if you want official releases of that stuff, Bob. Mojang is too busy adding stuff adding menial things, like horse armor and dyed clay blocks which I'm sure no one asked for.

However, I'm sure there are mods out there that add everything you just asked for.

Hell, our FTB server has working windmills (that rotate!), flying zeppelins, and jetpacks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You'll probably be waiting forever if you want official releases of that stuff, Bob. Mojang is too busy adding stuff adding menial things, like horse armor and dyed clay blocks which I'm sure no one asked for.

However, I'm sure there are mods out there that add everything you just asked for.

Hell, our FTB server has working windmills (that rotate!), flying zeppelins, and jetpacks.

Really? What mods deliver those? Only ever really played around with industrialcraft etc or technic pack. Windmills and Zeppelins sound fun

Mengy

How long do you think this game will be supported by Mojang? Most AAA titles are usually given DLC's for about a year following release, and is then abandoned. You think this game will become the new Halo 2 in terms of longevity?

Most likely they will support the game a very long time. It's still selling very well, despite the millions of copies sold already. And I think the Minecraft Server thing they are working on, kind of a paid subscription more or less, is a way for them to gain a continuing revenue stream from the game down the road. Even if they only get a fraction of the userbase using the subscription, it should more than earn enough for them to keep the small support team of people Mojang has continually working on the game. And that's not to mention the huge "warchest" of money the game has earned Notch already. He could probably pay the team to update the game for the next twenty years easily and barely make a dent in that warchest.

So yeah, I expect to see updates to the game for many years honestly.

I hope we someday see a Minecraft 2, which would be the exact same game with all the same updates, only ported to C++ and running much, much, smoother, and with a far, far greater view distance. Oh and movable light sources. I'd gladly pay for the game a second time just to get it ported into C++ and out of Java.

Morokh

Gunpowder is hard to come by, so players would not be able to spam the use out of them. As it stands right now, dealing with ghasts are a hassle and is stacked unfairly against the player.

Gunpowder rare ? xD build even the simplest mob spawner/trap and you'll have more than you ever need.
Bows do the trick just fine for Ghasts, and them being at least a bit challenging is a good thing, the nether is supposed to be a dangerous and treacherous place.

Mojang is too busy adding stuff adding menial things, like horse armor and dyed clay blocks which I'm sure no one asked for.
Colored clay must have been the first thing, with adobe houses to pop up on the reddit after they introduced the new clay block so ... not really.

And that makes 16 new blocks with distinct colors that have a clean look and are less flashy than the crappy wool, for building it just opens a ton of new possibilities, that's everything but 'menial'

Just hope the new Java version will finally allow the same thing to be applied for glass and fixing the crappy lighting glitches.

crackhead_bob said:
But the durability of clayblocks is absolute shit
It's not 'Clay blocks' but 'Hardened clay blocks' (put a clay block in a furnace and cook it) it's as resistant as cobblestone.

Mengy

At least clay will be worth gathering. Anyone built with it yet?

I've used the hardened clay blocks from 1.5 quite a bit, I like the color and texture as a building material a lot. That's why I'm very excited to be getting colored clay blocks. 16 new colors that are all just a bit different than wool, but with much better texture and durability. I can seriously see myself using tons of the new colored clay in everything I build.

My new goal in the game now is to go on a very hardcore clay gathering hunt. I want a couple chests full of the stuff to get ready for 1.6. Time to break out my Shovel of Looting. I realized last night that I'm also going to need tons of the dyes too. With sheep, I pretty much just colored a couple sheep each color and haven't bothered with dyes ever since. Colored sheep are a replenishing source for colored wool. But with clay, you are going to need a new dye for each block you stain, so you are going to need much, much more dye material.

Nebula

I've used the hardened clay blocks from 1.5 quite a bit, I like the color and texture as a building material a lot. That's why I'm very excited to be getting colored clay blocks. 16 new colors that are all just a bit different than wool, but with much better texture and durability. I can seriously see myself using tons of the new colored clay in everything I build.

My new goal in the game now is to go on a very hardcore clay gathering hunt. I want a couple chests full of the stuff to get ready for 1.6. Time to break out my Shovel of Looting. I realized last night that I'm also going to need tons of the dyes too. With sheep, I pretty much just colored a couple sheep each color and haven't bothered with dyes ever since. Colored sheep are a replenishing source for colored wool. But with clay, you are going to need a new dye for each block you stain, so you are going to need much, much more dye material.

I can see the bolded causing some people issues. I wouldn't mind it myself though. I like having something to do.

I will not be able to enjoy it though. I did have a laptop capeable of playing Minecraft at a nice 30+ FPS and it didn't lag much at all, but I can't use it anymore so I'm stuck on the Xbox version. Happy with 4J and the efforts they have made to catch up with PC, and even cater to some of the Xbox sides needs with some changes within updates being made because of our feedback, which is also great.

Minecraft, both Xbox and PC have had the excellent luck to have 2 great teams behind the games.

Hopefully I can get a new PC soon though.

defel

So what is the chance that the game will incorperate rotating blocks (for windmills) and more complex forms of transportations like aircrafts?

They will never add this stuff since it lies outside of the spirit of the game. Notch was always staunchly against anything that took away from the simplicity of the blocky/cube style of everything. It was only when Jeb started working on minecraft that we got stuff like half slabs or stairs.

Once you guys get bored of FTB you'll come crawling back to the only game that matters ;)

Morokh

I can see the bolded causing some people issues. I wouldn't mind it myself though. I like having something to do.

At least Dyes will be something of importance again, because even with dying sheeps and leather armor, their uses are quite limited and you don't need that much.

crackhead_bob said:

Having rotating windmills does not really make any sense with the vanilla game as it is now it would have no real uses ( there is no 'electricity' and a redstone torch already does the 'continuous power' thing).

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
This might be my worst LTTP yet. I am so sick of getting into game communities years late.

Anyway, I just started playing this with friends a week ago. I was aware of the game, knew about the culture surrounding it, but never actually dove in. I love it so much.

Late to the party :(.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This might be my worst LTTP yet. I am so sick of getting into game communities years late.

Anyway, I just started playing this with friends a week ago. I was aware of the game, knew about the culture surrounding it, but never actually dove in. I love it so much.

its pretty simple once you get into it, so no problem being late in.

I still need to catch up on recent addtions like hoppers etc, not sure if they are worth updating things in my world for but they look interesting.

Welcome, regardless! How's the experience been so far?

defel

I still remember setting my house in Bootay Bay on fire when I was playing around with netherrack and a fireplace. Thankfully Ark was on at the time and crisis was averted but there were a few moments of pure panic there lol

Seanspeed

Banned

Its Minecraft, so you're pretty safe in knowing you're far from the only newcomer around. The game is continuing to expand and expand on the user side.

Mengy

I still remember setting my house in Bootay Bay on fire when I was playing around with netherrack and a fireplace. Thankfully Ark was on at the time and crisis was averted but there were a few moments of pure panic there lol

Booty Bay was still my favorite multiplayer Minecraft experience ever. So much fun building that coastal town up from nothing, digging that community mine down below, making the minecart tunnel that connected it up to spawn. Although Moria may have actually been my favorite place on the old server.

I never did truly finish that sand tower at spawn on the old Neocraft, lol.

NihonTiger on NeoCraft - Episode 50: Yesterday's NeoCraft

OLD SERVER MAP GET

Had an incredibly fun time recording this; it's about an hour long, and I hope it's as fun for you guys as it was for me when I was wandering around!

Talk about a nostalgia trip.

Inspired me to go through my shamefully small collection of old screenshots and felt like posting a few...

Nov 21, 2010 - The 1st (my first, anyways) NeoCraft spawn point, with Link & River City Rampage sprites, diamond block fountain, and the old community tower that was hit by a chunk error :p

Nov 2, 2010 - Vlad's Hole™ at bedrock level. Can't believe we dug that thing by hand (and some TNT here and there), without enchants.

Nov 5, 2010 - Remember the flying furnace bug?

Jan 22, 2011 - NeoCraft #2's giant dirt sphere. This was so amazing back then!

Unfortunately I never was an avid screenshot taker... Most are just of amusing glitches and stuff.

takes me back, man. Those were the golden years. Arkyo and Al-Media were great spots.

Booty Bay was still my favorite multiplayer Minecraft experience ever. So much fun building that coastal town up from nothing, digging that community mine down below, making the minecart tunnel that connected it up to spawn. Although Moria may have actually been my favorite place on the old server.

I never did truly finish that sand tower at spawn on the old Neocraft, lol.

Inspired me to go through my shamefully small collection of old screenshots and felt like posting a few...

Nov 21, 2010 - The 1st (my first, anyways) NeoCraft spawn point, with Link & River City Rampage sprites, diamond block fountain, and the old community tower that was hit by a chunk error :p

Nov 2, 2010 - Vlad's Hole™ at bedrock level. Can't believe we dug that thing by hand (and some TNT here and there), without enchants.

Nov 5, 2010 - Remember the flying furnace bug?

Jan 22, 2011 - NeoCraft #2's giant dirt sphere. This was so amazing back then!

Unfortunately I never was an avid screenshot taker... Most are just of amusing glitches and stuff.

That was such a great server. Before the game got all complicated :p

Haha, yeah. Lots of memories on the old world :)

I'll admit a secret, though: part of the reason I did the video was in hopes it might get a few folks who drifted away to come back and check things out. I walk around the server sometimes and go visit people's places, and it always makes me a little sad when I visit and see chests full of stuff or pet dogs sitting there all alone, knowing the owner hasn't been on in months. I feel like I mentioned that in a previous video somewhere, too.

Yes, it's the nature of the game and servers in general to have turnover, but I always wish that I'd see an old face pop on here and there.

If you ever do hop on and don't want to be the only person on, let me know; I'll come hop on and come by and do stuff. It's better for me than sitting around working on my builds in quiet, I think.

It has been difficult this week to "motivate" myself to get on the server if I am honest. I think part of the problem for me is the fact we are close to a new update with new materials (namely coloured clay). So to me it seems pointless doing any building when I will just have to redo that building again with the coloured clay.

Hell maybe I am just getting fed up of minecraft now :-/

Ark

Just a little nitpick, but those pics are from GAFLand, not NeoCraft ;)

OLD SERVER MAP GET

Had an incredibly fun time recording this; it's about an hour long, and I hope it's as fun for you guys as it was for me when I was wandering around!

I love how when you come onto the deck of the ship, you can see my survival house to the left, across the lake :)

Great video, so much nostalgia.

Ranger X

OLD SERVER MAP GET

lol nice. Cool to see my old Mob Grinder and BrickHouse. Man, those were the days lol
I was there building with Mick, Grunchy, Ark, Mengy, the first 4-5 first Neocraft regular members. They were building their house on the hills behing my brick house. It was sort of an Hollywood. Great fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It has been difficult this week to "motivate" myself to get on the server if I am honest. I think part of the problem for me is the fact we are close to a new update with new materials (namely coloured clay). So to me it seems pointless doing any building when I will just have to redo that building again with the coloured clay.

Server reset? Maybe people naturally wander off after a while but new people are overwhelmed by what is already there (it is pretty damn amazing) and get put off building?

Maybe you just need a break

This is kinda how I felt in the run-up to 1.5. To make things worse, that was a very long wait.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They should stop making so many new materials. How about paint instead, so you can colour existing buildings? Bucket + dye = paint pot which you can click on blocks X number of times to colour them. Works on clay, brick, wood etc

Isobelise

this all brings back memories, evil and I do miss the big ass community projects like al medina and arkyoto.

We should do something like that again ^^ with machines!

Ark

Server reset? Maybe people naturally wander off after a while but new people are overwhelmed by what is already there (it is pretty damn amazing) and get put off building?

Maybe you just need a break

It's always possible to use multi-verse to create a new world whilst keeping the current world, both being playable on the server.

I'm not entirely sure if the server could run that now, since I downgraded it. Also the vast majority of people have jumped over to Mirk's server.

It's always possible to use multi-verse to create a new world whilst keeping the current world, both being playable on the server.

I'm not entirely sure if the server could run that now, since I downgraded it. Also the vast majority of people have jumped over to Mirk's server.

I am on regular neocraft still, don't turn it off yet!

Top Bottom