• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Any advice on how to deal with ghasts? I have an iron sword and a regular bow. Is there any way to level odds in my favor? Using arrows seems imprecise:-(

Any advice on how to deal with ghasts? I have an iron sword and a regular bow. Is there any way to level odds in my favor? Using arrows seems imprecise:-(
I wouldn't bother with arrows. You can volley Ghast-fireballs back to them, similar to the Ganondorf battles in the Zelda series. It can kill them in one hit. It's a little risky though. Their explosions can not only hit you if you miss, but they can also hit the ground you're standing on. Dropping into lava is a real possibility if you're standing in an unlucky place. A lot of material that isn't from the nether is ghast-blast-proof though, you can prevent the latter by making some stone floors.

The Nether is a good fast-travel system, so it might be worth investing in making some safe tunnels anyway where Ghasts can't reach you. Walking a single block in the nether equals to walking 8 blocks in the overworld. It is the fastest and cheapest way to travel across large distances in vanilla Minecraft.

Vlad

The hitbox on Ghasts has always been a little weird. It's kind of at the top of their tentacles. If you're shooting them right between the eyes your arrows will go right through them. Keep this in mind when fighting them. I can usually hit them about 90% of the time unless they're really far away.

Also, I'd recommend enchanting your bow if you haven't already.

Grinchy

Banned
The hitbox on Ghasts has always been a little weird. It's kind of at the top of their tentacles. If you're shooting them right between the eyes your arrows will go right through them. Keep this in mind when fighting them. I can usually hit them about 90% of the time unless they're really far away.

Also, I'd recommend enchanting your bow if you haven't already.

Yeah I'd second this. I have been dealing with them with a bow ever since I mastered the aiming against them. At first it does seem like arrows that should hit don't hit, but you get used to it.

server is whitelisted ?

I can't even open door

perkel666

Not sure which server you are asking to be whitelisted on ? Do you want to be on the fantastically wonderful and splendidly super duper NeoCraft server that has builds that are out of this world ? or are you asking to be whitelisted on Mirks server :p

On the off chance you want to hang with the cool guys (i.e ME) I have whitelisted you on the Neocraft server.

Any advice on XP farming? I have a drop mob grinder, but it takes around 5 minutes to get to the desired baseline level (24) to enchant my items. I have enough diamond to enchant to my heart's desire, but I'm very impatient and would like to have at things at my own leisurely pace. I know there is the option of smelting stone, but it's too resource intensive to be feasible over the long run, so I'd like to investigate more reliable mob grinding alternatives. I've mastered crop and animal farming to the point where I can grab whatever I need whenever I want. I want to begin expanding to enchantment and potions, but I'm really lost.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any advice on XP farming? I have a drop mob grinder, but it takes around 5 minutes to get to the desired baseline level (24) to enchant my items. I have enough diamond to enchant to my heart's desire, but I'm very impatient and would like to have at things at my own leisurely pace.

More impatient than waiting 5 mins for 24 xp levels!?

I saw a video where a player was able to get 30 XP whenever he wanted. He would just walk up to a grinder, kill the mobs that have crowded into the area, and collect the xp.

Thanks for the quick reply (and thank you Iso for telling me on Steam as well :) ). Was able to connect and I'm walking around seeing what all I've missed. :)

Glad to see you back, last time you were on Domepolis was little more than a hole in the ground. Now it is a mighty fine erection and so is the city too. I will be on a bit later (about 2ish hours from now) got to fill the other half of Domepolis yet :-(

brodsterholl1

Neo Member
I think a scoreboard (added in 1.5) could be cool for neocraft. just to see players stats or other things could be implemented with plugins. just a thought. anybody else agree?

so........ i built xenoflux an island in 4 hours on neocraft

i741nEUZg65KL.png

iGHDypsgEAnqf.png

ibnpy5NFjgRAh9.png

....yeah.

Nice.

So long as you dont need wood for anything!

could easily just plant a bunch of trees while he's in creative.

so........ i built xenoflux an island in 4 hours on neocraft
Hm I have to confess I am torn on this. On the one hand you saved me a job of trying to build this island cos I am crap with worldedit. On the other hand you bloody covered my spawn area so I am trapped in the island now ya plonker ;-)

been playing sp ftb ultimate. pretty sure i could play this forever.
I recently got into playing with frames and frame motors and it just opened up a whole new Minecraft world to me. Currently constructing a functional cable car and elevator in my mountain base. The prototype of the cable car seems to work flawlessly, though it is on the slow side. Still amazing to see that stuff like this is possible.

Vlad

I recently got into playing with frames and frame motors and it just opened up a whole new Minecraft world to me. Currently constructing a functional cable car and elevator in my mountain base. The prototype of the cable car seems to work flawlessly, though it is on the slow side. Still amazing to see that stuff like this is possible.

Yeah, I just spent WAY too much time and too many resources building a sliding door to my base on the NeoCrack server using those.

Basically I made it so that the side of the mountain slides down, then a bridge extends to cross a small lake I made using the Redpower pumps. After a few seconds, the bridge retracts and the mountain wall goes back up.

Unfortunately, it glitches out in multiplayer and the moving parts tend to flicker in and out, but there's no way I'm redoing all of that.

Hey guys, just some updates on stuff I've been thinking about on the vanilla server:

First, I'm planning on Phase II of my fortress construction, in which I'm moving my animals to a new mountain top and turning the mountain they're currently on into a park (plus more). They're just too laggy and noisy now, plus I think my pigs and cows keep glitching through everything and dying.

Part of what I'm also considering doing is linking all the bodies of water around my fortress together into a giant river system and then following the natural terrain all the way out to the sea to make myself an inland port. If anyone wants to help me excavate it, I would be happy to have the help but I'm in no rush to do this.

Second, I'm considering starting a new tropical themed build to go along with NeoLulu. We haven't built out there in a long while and this would be a good chance to build. I may want until the 1.6 update so we can use the colored clay bricks and really create something cool.

My idea is to create a Caribbean-styled town (in contrast to NeoLulu's jungle island style) perhaps a little similar to Havana, old town San Juan in Puerto Rico, or Willemstad. Maybe with a bit of Old Town San Diego thrown in for measure. Very colorful, but with an old-world touch to it:

640px-Handelskade_Willemstad.jpg

(Willemstad, Curacao)

I'm thinking it'll have an old fort on the edge and an old city center, with a square and lots of very pretty buildings.

I'm currently thinking of building it out in Terra Tigris, which is a far-off continent I came across months ago. There's an island and peninsula where I have a nether portal at and I think it'd be a great spot to build this at.

I'd like to make it a possible community build, if enough folks are interested. I know I could sure use some help with it because it'll be way too much for one person to do on their own. I haven't had the time to build anything out there, either, besides a wall around the little village I found (so I can possible breed some of the villagers and move them to my future hillside town).

Also, it needs a fitting name. The only ideas I came up with were Punta Tigre and Castaway Key, and I'm not necessarily set on either of those as the final name. At least I'm not calling it San Tigre el Magnifico y Mejores en el Mundo. :p

So if you're interested in helping with anything on the vanilla server that I'm up to, happy to have any help.

Also, thanks to Brodster for coming by and fixing my portcullis a little bit. It's about halfway not broken anymore, but I may need to replace the lower half of the mechanism if 1.5 has completely broken sticky pistons retracting other sticky pistons properly. The top part works fine, though.

Any plans in the future for dying wood and stone? Using dyed wool as wall paneling is ugly.

They should allow the option to craft solid blocks representing all the primary colors. I'm glad they got their act together by allowing you to craft redstone blocks. How bout dark green cactus blocks. Larger emerald veins, and solid pumpkin blocks without the jack o lantern textures. One suggestion: allow for quartz blocks to be dyed. They have a perfect neutral texture that I think alot of players could work with if implemented.

Any plans in the future for dying wood and stone? Using dyed wool as wall paneling is ugly.

They should allow the option to craft solid blocks representing all the primary colors. I'm glad they got their act together by allowing you to craft redstone blocks. How bout dark green cactus blocks. Larger emerald veins, and solid pumpkin blocks without the jack o lantern textures. One suggestion: allow for quartz blocks to be dyed. They have a perfect neutral texture that I think alot of players could work with if implemented.

Another idea: muskets to deal with ghasts. Gunpowder is hard to come by, so players would not be able to spam the use out of them. As it stands right now, dealing with ghasts are a hassle and is stacked unfairly against the player.

Vlad

Where do I find a blaze spawner? Im in a nether fortress, but don't know where to look.

Look everywhere. There's usually at least two, but since the nether fortresses are randomly generated, it's hard to say exactly where you'll find one.

I find it's best to have a system for navigating the damn things anyway. Whenever I go into one, I always put torches along the right side of the wall as I go. This way I know where I've already been, and I can easily find my way back out by always keeping the torches on my left.

Of course, it's also possible that you've found a fortress without any blaze spawners. I've seen those once or twice.

Another idea: muskets to deal with ghasts. Gunpowder is hard to come by, so players would not be able to spam the use out of them. As it stands right now, dealing with ghasts are a hassle and is stacked unfairly against the player.

Yep! Dyed/colored clay blocks are coming in 1.6.

Top Bottom