• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Ark, I am also interested in playing Neocraft in the futur. Its true that right now its freaking dead but yeah, personally i'd still play.

By the way, I didn't send anything your way since a while if you can pm me your donation button or something.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It has been difficult this week to "motivate" myself to get on the server if I am honest. I think part of the problem for me is the fact we are close to a new update with new materials (namely coloured clay). So to me it seems pointless doing any building when I will just have to redo that building again with the coloured clay.

Hell maybe I am just getting fed up of minecraft now :-/

I haven't been on the server in a week or two, but I've been fanatically playing my new SSP world a lot lately. I've been (meticulously) building a huge main base inside a very large mountain, complete with redstone 6-block doors at various entrances, a boat dock cave, a large vault with a couple dozen chests so far, a wall of over a dozen furnaces, and farms for every growable thing I can find (only need to find melons yet). Once I'm happy with the base I'm going to go exploring my surroundings, I haven't even seen a village or a temple yet.

But yeah, I haven't been motivated to play on Neocraft in awhile now either, for two main reasons:

1. not many people on the server anymore, whenever I log on I'm usually the only one

2. I'm an explorer, and the server map is already so large that I don't want to balloon it

Server reset? Maybe people naturally wander off after a while but new people are overwhelmed by what is already there (it is pretty damn amazing) and get put off building?

Maybe you just need a break

In all honesty, I'd be okay with another reset, with one caveat: no Arks this time. We all start from zippo, which would mean we would need to build farms, mine for materials, go exploring for villages, etc. I love starting over in fresh new Minecraft worlds.

However, I'm sure I'm in the very vocal minority on this, LOL. Besides, there are some awesome things built on Neocraft right now, I'd kind of hate to lose it all.

It's always possible to use multi-verse to create a new world whilst keeping the current world, both being playable on the server.

I'm not entirely sure if the server could run that now, since I downgraded it. Also the vast majority of people have jumped over to Mirk's server.

Now THATS an interesting idea, is it even possible to do that? Like, have Neocraft stay as a constant world, and have another temporary world that resets every now and then? Like a mining and exploring world that we can reset with every new patch to get the new stuff from?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's always possible to use multi-verse to create a new world whilst keeping the current world, both being playable on the server.

I'm not entirely sure if the server could run that now, since I downgraded it. Also the vast majority of people have jumped over to Mirk's server.

I think (hope?) that's just people plain with new toys. Having lots of mods and a clean slate is tempting, although after building tons of industrialcraft things, I found myself at a bit of a dead end, and ended up switching back to a vanilla server.

I'd like a simple vanilla server on hard so we have to farm etc like mentioned. And no creeper protection. Either multiverse or a different server?

Ranger X

Multiverse could be awesome.

I would like a new world to be as vanilla as possible. Only lockette and creeper damage off. (cause there's too much space for accidents with creepers on).
Anything else could be removed. There would at least be me and Mengy as "vanilla soldiers". lol

Alright, long reply chain incoming:

Yes, it's possible and I am with the "please don't even think for a second about shutting it down" crowd. Not just because my Let's Play but because I love my build, I'm still working on it and I enjoy the main NeoCraft server quite a bit.

But yeah, I haven't been motivated to play on Neocraft in awhile now either, for two main reasons:

1. not many people on the server anymore, whenever I log on I'm usually the only one

2. I'm an explorer, and the server map is already so large that I don't want to balloon it

I can help you with #1 there, Mengy. Next time you want to hop on, let me know and I'll make some time to be on there so you're not all alone. Hell, I'm down for exploring/adventuring/caving, too.

Now THATS an interesting idea, is it even possible to do that? Like, have Neocraft stay as a constant world, and have another temporary world that resets every now and then? Like a mining and exploring world that we can reset with every new patch to get the new stuff from?

Totally possible with plug-ins. I know some servers that do this.

I think (hope?) that's just people plain with new toys. Having lots of mods and a clean slate is tempting, although after building tons of industrialcraft things, I found myself at a bit of a dead end, and ended up switching back to a vanilla server.

Agreed; and 1.6 is coming soon, too. We have that to look forward to. FTB is very much a shiny thing that's fun, but eventually there comes the heavy grind to get bigger and better things, and it becomes overwhelming and tiring.

I would like a new world to be as vanilla as possible. Only lockette and creeper damage off. (cause there's too much space for accidents with creepers on).
Anything else could be removed. There would at least be me and Mengy as "vanilla soldiers". lol

I play in vanilla, so I'm also OK with this.

-Minsc-

Multi-verse eh?

For the most part I'll agree with Mengy (no frequent server resetting). Keep the second verse as vanilla as possible, complete with creeper worts. The existing server will be there for the people who want a little more lax experience where people can do as they please. As annoying as creeper damage can be, it would be cool to have a server where you have to worry about protecting your builds. In a way it would actually encourage people to work together more. Build communities instead of everyone going their own way.

Perhaps this server could have a more strict building code where people have to work together on getting one town up to a certain stage before moving on to the next one.

Stat!

Multi-verse eh?

For the most part I'll agree with Mengy (no frequent server resetting). Keep the second verse as vanilla as possible, complete with creeper worts. The existing server will be there for the people who want a little more lax experience where people can do as they please. As annoying as creeper damage can be, it would be cool to have a server where you have to worry about protecting your builds. In a way it would actually encourage people to work together more. Build communities instead of everyone going their own way.

Perhaps this server could have a more strict building code where people have to work together on getting one town up to a certain stage before moving on to the next one.

Truth is, I jumped back to Vanilla after watching Etho/VintageBeef/GenerikB doing a ton of cool vanilla things.

If we do decide on a multiverse, I'd love to see some community building working together. Possibly newer snapshots to allow horses and some of the newer stuff if possible, maybe even making it hardcore (for example, you can only gain health through potions or golden apples but not food).

defel

Got my iron farm working. They fall from high up in the sky right down to bedrock into a water stream where their health is taken down by lava and then funneled into a killing chamber where I can crush them. Then their iron is sucked up into hoppers and droppers and pumped back up to the surface into my main base.

Completely unnecessary but so so satisfying.

Id like a pure vanilla reset but the summer is upon us soon and my play time will dry up over the next few months anyway

ZZMitch

Wow, looking back i can't believe how long I have been playing Minecraft. The earliest update I remember is the one with Chickens (July 2010). It makes since since the first major Minecraft thread was started a few weeks before that and I think that is where I heard about the game. Having a hell of a time trying to find my post about it though.

edit: ah found it, 7/29/2010.

"This game looks really cool...

Is it all about building or is there lots of stuff to explore as well?"

Thanks GAF! If only I knew what I was getting myself into at the time heh.

edit 2: Sorry for the nostalgia trip guys but stumbled on this video in the old thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjj1zjGAiBI . Still think it is hilarious

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Multi-verse eh?

Agreed. Even creeper protection means I won't be paying attentions them so much. And leaving it on means people will need to protect their builds.

Maybe have core protect or other rollback tooI case of major accidents though.

The other benefit of mostly vanilla is you ca get a server up and running more quickly after 1.6 official release (although you may still want to wait for a couple mods like lockette etc)

Morokh

Multiverse could be awesome.

You could count me in as well for some pure vanilla goodness, I've been playing many things in the last months but I'm always coming back to Minecraft several times a week, and I must say that the (over)use of creative on the server kind of got me de-motivated to play on it too.

Ark

Multi-verse eh?

I have to say, I'm more than bored with jumping around in creative mode myself, I've been thinking about starting a single-player world for the first time since before I started NeoCraft, but the part of Minecraft I've always found so enticing was being on a server with people, building with people, exploring other people's builds - and I actually want to jump back into the survival game.

I am absolutely up for creating a true survival world, as already mentioned. Only mods being WorldGuard (unless you guys like freak town fires, up to you), Lockette and the chat mods. No warps, possibly CreativeGates? I'll leave that for people to decide.

Talking about community project stuff, remember how Moria was mined out completely by hand in one night? Using World Edit just feels so cheap now :(

EDIT:

I'm not actually sure it's possible to have different mods working on different worlds on the same server. If you wanted to avoid warps on that world it's easy enough to create a new rank that doesn't allow you to use warps, but that would mean if you were to jump back to the original world that you wouldn't be able to warp around there without having your rank changed. Multiverse dev Bukkit page

Ark, I am also interested in playing Neocraft in the future. Its true that right now its freaking dead but yeah, personally i'd still play.

By the way, I didn't send anything your way since a while if you can pm me your donation button or something.

Forgot to reply to this, here we go:

EDIT2:

I was just looking at the Multiverse portals page, if you can have minecarts and boats travel through portals I thought it could be cool to create some small village on the current map connected to the rail-line , with another rail from the village that goes through the portal only to emerge at a much larger town/city. Just an idea.

bengraven

I miss playing with you guys. :(

Also, what's the best map viewer? I need to find a fucking village SOMEWHERE near my huge, 100+ hour spawn village, but even 4000 blocks away I'm not able to find one the old fashioned way.

I want to make the "one house" village so bad.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hey guys, just wondering if my friend is messing with me.

Him and I created a server. He was down in the mines, and while I was up on land, some fucking creepy weird stuff was happening. As I would go in and out of doors, they would open and close again, and I would hear movement on the grass behind me.

Then, it escalated from magic opening and closing doors to grass blocks disappearing behind me. What ever this was started going in my chest, taking things out, and placing torches in all these weird areas.

Then finally, I looked over to my left, and magically a two block grass opening appeared, surrounded by torches, and the inside had those weird red stone drops. My friend was no where near red stone yet. I started getting punched by this invisible figure, and then it just left.

Ark

Your friend or someone else was probably using an invisible skin and just messing with you.

Other than that, you're probably haunted.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Yeah, he said it wasn't him, but I am getting a vibe like he is lying to me. He is trying too hard to explain what I was experiencing.

If he is trying to scare me, it worked. I logged out, that shit is too much.

I miss playing with you guys. :(

Also, what's the best map viewer? I need to find a fucking village SOMEWHERE near my huge, 100+ hour spawn village, but even 4000 blocks away I'm not able to find one the old fashioned way.

I want to make the "one house" village so bad.

Probably the "easiest" way would be to use Chunky. Whilst it isn't a mapping program (it is actually a 3D renderer) it does allow you to move around the whole map from an over head perspective :-

http://chunky.llbit.se/index.php?title=Main_Page

Download link is at the top of that page.

Oops a new page, I will paste the donation link to the Neocraft server here :-

I had an idea after watching Nihon's video on the old server... Is there a way we could condense parts of the old map together, bring all the community builds like Al-Medina, Booty bay, Moria and Arkyoto, etc a bit closer together and drop them onto the current map? If so we could also consider bringing the current community builds closer together (and people's bases and so on) and put them in a specified museum-esque area and then trim the map around that area (or even put them in the second universe and then we could start from scratch in the first universe?

I'd be happy to start again from scratch on a brand new server without creative but it's a real shame having to then restrict the old worlds to singleplayer.

I also like the idea of having no Arks as it means we'd all start on level footing and the first few towns we build would be really satisfying to behold.

EDIT: Finally donated. Recently I've felt like a criminal for having not done so already. Bring on the blue text!

Concept17

So... my friends and I have been trying some hardcore over the last month or so.

Its a great deal of fun. Our latest attempt we've got a nice stockpile and found the ender dragon portal. (by a great deal of chance I might add) We just need to get more diamond equipment before moving on.

But for whatever reason, none of us really feel up to it and are kind of losing interest in playing at all. Is there anything more to add to this type of gameplay with mods? (I'm running a vanilla server atm) The hardcore survival aspect is absolutely awesome until you reach a certain point, and it just becomes boring.

Ranger X

Forgot to reply to this, here we go:

EDIT2:

I was just looking at the Multiverse portals page, if you can have minecarts and boats travel through portals I thought it could be cool to create some small village on the current map connected to the rail-line , with another rail from the village that goes through the portal only to emerge at a much larger town/city. Just an idea.

Cool. Just sent 10 british bucks your way.

Tesseract

Banned
So... my friends and I have been trying some hardcore over the last month or so.

Its a great deal of fun. Our latest attempt we've got a nice stockpile and found the ender dragon portal. (by a great deal of chance I might add) We just need to get more diamond equipment before moving on.

But for whatever reason, none of us really feel up to it and are kind of losing interest in playing at all. Is there anything more to add to this type of gameplay with mods? (I'm running a vanilla server atm) The hardcore survival aspect is absolutely awesome until you reach a certain point, and it just becomes boring.

feed the beast.

Mirk

Damn login servers! :(

I would love to play 1.6 with you guys on a new survival world again!!!

multiverse idea:
sure why not.

Restarting a new neocraft server from scratch:

iNQbY6YP8SXoJ.gif

Morokh

I keep losing cows from my pen. Are they getting loaded inside of blocks and suffocating?

All I can say is that I have 4 identical animal pens ans cows are the only ones getting out, and I can't figure why, there is definitely something weird with them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I keep losing cows from my pen. Are they getting loaded inside of blocks and suffocating?

I consistently have two issues with pens:

1. if the pen is made of fences, then every once and awhile an animal will get outside the fence. I am pretty sure this happens at chunk generation when either loading a game or re-entering a chunk.

2. the above also seems to happen with glass blocks or panes placed down at ground level. Every now and then an animal will get outside the glass.

What I do now is I make my pens one block below ground level (or make the entire first row of the pen walls a solid block), and then place glass blocks (not panes!) to form the walls. Haven't had any animals get out of the pens ever since making them this way.

defel

Yes there is a bug at the moment where they suffocate inside solid blocks and also sometimes when you re-log a cow will teleport outside the pen.

The only solution is to make your pen out of transparent blocks (glass, redstone or glowstone)

hopefully they fix it soon.

edit: another solution is to put the cows in a water block and they will jump up and down but they wont glitch as much

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes there is a bug at the moment where they suffocate inside solid blocks and also sometimes when you re-log a cow will teleport outside the pen.

The only solution is to make your pen out of transparent blocks (glass, redstone or glowstone)

hopefully they fix it soon.

edit: another solution is to put the cows in a water block and they will jump up and down but they wont glitch as much
Alternatively create a waterfall around the pen. With fences 2 blocks down and water rushing onto it. It will create a wall that they can't climb up but you can easily jump out from. I'd post a picture but I'm at work right now.

I just started playing this again after a long break (not that I have played the game a lot in the past) and I'm wondering if there's any follow-up to the Getting Started part of the OP? I've made my base but I have no idea what I could do now — except exploring of course. I don't want to look around on the wiki too much, but I do need some guidance. Especially because of all the new stuff that's in here (haven't played since 2012).

I have some noobish questions as well:

• When I set up a farm of animals, won't they get murdered during the night? Or doesn't this happen?
  • I know that the goal of the game is to do what you want, but still: what should I do next? I have a base, torches, furnace and some seeds and carrots that I stole from a village I spawned next to.
  • I created a server in Single Player. Will my friend be able to join in some way? LAN or via IP?

Thanks in advance.

ShadiWulf

my first time playing on such a huge server, it's both amazing and confusing at the same time.

found my way over to the harvester and got lots of stuff, now I just need to setup a home somewhere, is there somewhere specific we are supposed to build or can it be anywhere that is empty?

also, i accidenty grabbed a bunch of minecarts, it ejected two cause of the lag, and i tried putting one back in the dispinser and instead got a bunch in my inventory, so there is a bunch of minecarts in the chest at Al Demino station.

my first time playing on such a huge server, it's both amazing and confusing at the same time.

found my way over to the harvester and got lots of stuff, now I just need to setup a home somewhere, is there somewhere specific we are supposed to build or can it be anywhere that is empty?

also, i accidenty grabbed a bunch of minecarts, it ejected two cause of the lag, and i tried putting one back in the dispinser and instead got a bunch in my inventory, so there is a bunch of minecarts in the chest at Al Demino station.

Build anywhere that is open for the most part.

bengraven

So, why don't you again? Haven't seen you online in a long time Ben.

Well, I was actually offline with my PC for 6 months due to a financial issue forcing us to move into a very uncomfortable place that was neither an ass nor a VW. With no internet connection. We're connected now.

In the mean time I built a pretty nice sized frontier town with a few dozen miles of mine tracks, stockyards, a saloon, dozens of houses, a jail, a newspaper and a massive manor that overshadows the town like a cattle baron should.

ALL before I realized they were adding horses and lassos!

So now I'm about to join back up with you guys. I want to make another frontier town, but somewhere people can actually visit.

ShadiWulf

i'm enjoying neocraft now, finally got a sense of direction, and a place to call home!

i walked out spawn town looking for a good fairly empty spot, found one on a mountain along a rail line and thought it was perfect since i could just build along the rail line so i could easily find my house.

i had no idea i was building on the same rail line that nihontiger is on, until i talked to him, i just thought that was pretty neat, i enjoy his videos

anyways, here is my house. I have no idea what I'm building, i kinda started just randomly placing blocks, i feel like the more I keep working on it the better it will get, I think it looks interesting, not amazing or anything, but a good start! i decided to build into the tree, i thought it would be cool, it was one of those huge trees. it's decayed a bit, but that's easy to fix.

ZRTZ1gt.jpg

Top Bottom