• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

-Minsc-

i'm enjoying neocraft now, finally got a sense of direction, and a place to call home!

i walked out spawn town looking for a good fairly empty spot, found one on a mountain along a rail line and thought it was perfect since i could just build along the rail line so i could easily find my house.

i had no idea i was building on the same rail line that nihontiger is on, until i talked to him, i just thought that was pretty neat, i enjoy his videos

anyways, here is my house. I have no idea what I'm building, i kinda started just randomly placing blocks, i feel like the more I keep working on it the better it will get, I think it looks interesting, not amazing or anything, but a good start! i decided to build into the tree, i thought it would be cool, it was one of those huge trees. it's decayed a bit, but that's easy to fix.

ZRTZ1gt.jpg

If you ever want inspiration just look around and steal ideas from other builds across the server. That's what I did. :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
i'm enjoying neocraft now, finally got a sense of direction, and a place to call home!

i walked out spawn town looking for a good fairly empty spot, found one on a mountain along a rail line and thought it was perfect since i could just build along the rail line so i could easily find my house.

i had no idea i was building on the same rail line that nihontiger is on, until i talked to him, i just thought that was pretty neat, i enjoy his videos

anyways, here is my house. I have no idea what I'm building, i kinda started just randomly placing blocks, i feel like the more I keep working on it the better it will get, I think it looks interesting, not amazing or anything, but a good start! i decided to build into the tree, i thought it would be cool, it was one of those huge trees. it's decayed a bit, but that's easy to fix.

ZRTZ1gt.jpg

That's not a house.

That's modern art. Avant-garde as hell.

True, but I have to admit that I've fallen into a rut of building "normal" looking buildings and such. Maybe Shadi has the right idea, building things more freeform and less "realistic". Maybe it's time I build a base that is more avant garde and less real looking...

bengraven

Damn, what happened to simple to use mapping programs? Everything either features a block editor or requires you to use the CMD prompt (which is fine, but my Vista prompts are fucked for some reason) or are basically 3D fly by viewers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just played a bit of minecraft with my oculus rift. It'll take some getting used to, but I can see it being a lot of fun - especially to enhance immersion for things like caving.

The sense of scale is great. I went down into the mine on our family server and coming back up the steps looked really steep. I actually felt kinda bad for Steve having to jump up those huge blocks of stone, so I'm going to have to make him some stairs. Doorways feel really short because the top is right above you, you really want to reach out and touch it, it's so tangible.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just played a bit of minecraft with my oculus rift. It'll take some getting used to, but I can see it being a lot of fun - especially to enhance immersion for things like caving.

The sense of scale is great. I went down into the mine on our family server and coming back up the steps looked really steep. I actually felt kinda bad for Steve having to jump up those huge blocks of stone, so I'm going to have to make him some stairs. Doorways feel really short because the top is right above you, you really want to reach out and touch it, it's so tangible.
The funny thing is each block is about 3 feet. Which means on a stair block, each step is 1 foot 6 inches high. I always wondered what the stair blocks would look like if steps were to proper scale. Or if the Steve character had to actually do a climbing animation to jump up one 3 foot block. (Like the character animations in Mirror's Edge.)

I guess I really just want Fortune IV. And Unbreaking and Efficiency on anything I can manage.

Probably easier if you enchant a bunch of books, then pair-up all the enchants you want to get their level up (fortune I + fortune I = fortune II for example)

May take a little longer, but at worst you're only wasting books (and time) instead of dumping levels into tools then having to do it again because you didn't get what you wanted.

I know I've personally wasted far fewer diamonds since they've introduced books.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Probably easier if you enchant a bunch of books, then pair-up all the enchants you want to get their level up (fortune I + fortune I = fortune II for example)

May take a little longer, but at worst you're only wasting books (and time) instead of dumping levels into tools then having to do it again because you didn't get what you wanted.

I know I've personally wasted far fewer diamonds since they've introduced books.

Except when you want to enchant your pick and all you keep getting are damn protection I books.I must have had ten of those things before I got anything useful. Although random, at least enchanting directly will give you something relevant

Except when you want to enchant your pick and all you keep getting are damn protection I books.I must have had ten of those things before I got anything useful. Although random, at least enchanting directly will give you something relevant

Yeah, I really wish there were villagers that took enchanted books in trade. I have chests full of them.

defel

Ye I dont bother with books too much. Ive got a set of tools that I just continually repair.

I just added another 5-6 layers to my enderman farm in my SP world so soon enough enchanting will be a breeze. If you have tons of cbble then building it is actually really simple once you get into the rhythm. The only difficult bit is the iron for the pistons.

Mengy

It's a little easier that way if you're looking for a specific enchant.

If you don't care, then I just use the table.

After a bit of reading, I just realized that with books you can put Unbreaking III on armor!!!! I think I'm going to enchant books from now on instead of directly enchanting tools.

My biggest problem is repairing my heavily enchanted tools and armor. I usually end up sitting at my blaze grinder for a long time while I read online or watch youtube vids. Wish there was a better (more fun) way of repairing stuff...

Stat!

Here is how I'm playing: Singleplayer, Vanilla, with snapshots (horses + donkeys + hardened clay), I'm not going to set up a grinder, and I'm not going to branch mine (I'll only look for caves and explore them. I may change the branch mine thing, but it creates a bit of a more intense atmosphere. Survival too.

I see the vanilla server empty, makes me sad, but I'm not sure what to do. Creative and building everything kinda ruined it. Anyone want to community build something cool?

I watch a lot of Etho/Vintage and now Guude for vanilla MC stuff. Love Vintage's saloon stuff and Etho's SP world.

How do you guys tend to do enchanting? Do you just enchant your stuff or enchant books, then add via anvil?

Personally, I used the anvil and books. Got "super tools" (silk pick, efficiency pick, awesome sword/bow, axe, and shovel) and repair them.

789shadow

Banned
Personally, I used the anvil and books. Got "super tools" (silk pick, efficiency pick, awesome sword/bow, axe, and shovel) and repair them.
That's my plan. I'm going for something like this:

Protection IV, Unbreaking III Diamond Helmet
Protection IV, Unbreaking III Diamond Chestplate
Protection IV, Unbreaking III Diamond Pants
Protection IV, Feather Falling IV, Unbreaking III Diamond Boots

Sharpness V, Looting III, Unbreaking III Diamond Sword

Efficiency V, Unbreaking III Diamond Pick
Fortune III, Unbreaking III Diamond Pick
Silk Touch, Unbreaking III Diamond Pick

Efficiency V, Unbreaking III Diamond Shovel
Efficiency V, Unbreaking III, Fortune III Diamond Axe

Unbreaking III, Power V, Infinity Bow

Mengy

Wow, Coestar isn't going to be making anymore Coe's Quest videos, or any vids of any kind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLnYKJ8i7Es

I enjoyed watching his series, it's one of the first Minecraft channels I started watching three years ago. Kind of melancholy about that.

I see the vanilla server empty, makes me sad, but I'm not sure what to do. Creative and building everything kinda ruined it. Anyone want to community build something cool?

Always happy to; with 1.5 being a Redstone update, that probably burnt some folks out since little to no new adventure/building stuff was added.

But yes, I am happy to build on vanilla and I'm on NeoCraft quite regularly. :)

Wow, Coestar isn't going to be making anymore Coe's Quest videos, or any vids of any kind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLnYKJ8i7Es

I enjoyed watching his series, it's one of the first Minecraft channels I started watching three years ago. Kind of melancholy about that.

Yeah, I feel the same way about that. But if he doesn't have that spark anymore for doing videos in vanilla survival, it wouldn't be right for us to ask him to keep doing that as viewers, right?

Ark

Cool. Just sent 10 british bucks your way.

Ah didn't see this before, thanks!

I think you already have Donator rank, right? Also received another donation from someone else, but they didn't PM me or say who they were in the donation; so hopefully they already are a Donator too :p

Concept17

Guys...

My friends and I summoned the Wither.

We weren't prepared. He's down at the bottom in a room he's seems to be slowly making bigger and bigger.

Is our server done for?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Guys...

My friends and I summoned the Wither.

We weren't prepared. He's down at the bottom in a room he's seems to be slowly making bigger and bigger.

Is our server done for?
Is it your own server? You can probably change the skill to Peaceful to make it go away (Not in the game, but through the server.properties file) or change your GameMode to Creative so you're immortal and take him out.

Ranger X

Ah didn't see this before, thanks!

I think you already have Donator rank, right? Also received another donation from someone else, but they didn't PM me or say who they were in the donation; so hopefully they already are a Donator too :p

Yeah, I've been with the Donator rank since that rank actually existed ;)

Vlad

Looks like a new version of the Mindcrack FTB pack came out sometime over the weekend.

Good news: Bibliocraft is on there, which should be great (and I know several people on the server are going to enjoy)

Bad news: I stupidly updated the modpack on my end before checking if the NeoCrack server was updated, and now I can't get in :(

Mirk

Looks like a new version of the Mindcrack FTB pack came out sometime over the weekend.

Good news: Bibliocraft is on there, which should be great (and I know several people on the server are going to enjoy)

Bad news: I stupidly updated the modpack on my end before checking if the NeoCrack server was updated, and now I can't get in :(

D: I will update the server as soon as I can. Its still not up on the Host yet.

Mirk

ALL of you on NeoCrack need to make or go to the post office in spawn and set up a mail box!! I am trying to send out flyers here people!

Also if anyone would like to be white-listed send a PM or post your name!

bengraven

It's that time again.

THIRD ANNUAL SHIT I WANT TO SEE IN MINECRAFT LIST

1) Birds and fish - that's all I ask. Just birds and fish. If you can make bats, you can make birds - just make them spawn in and around trees, limiting them to maybe 3 per 10square blocks or something. Fish? Just make some fucking fish. It doesn't take PS4 quality AI to do it, amirite Shiggy? Oh and a shark, but only spawning a certain number of blocks from shore...make us USE those boats.

2) multiverse - let us run multiple worlds on one server. I want to be able to back and forth between NeoCRAFT Old School and GAFland and then NeoCRAFT new world. Bring back memories of old worlds and our high born kings Arkano and Exano...wait, are they brothers?

3) different types of villages - including enemy NPC villages. Give us orcs dammit.

4) mailbox - third year in a row I've asked for this - using paper you can send a letter (maybe with an "attached" box, to another user on a server and as long as the receiving user has a mailbox (can obviously make as many as you want) he can check his mail. Would make multiplayer servers even more community minded. Also, bonus: let us set up our own shops - maybe creating an NPC we can load up with stuff and using emeralds as currency.

5) another thing I've asked for before - more things to find underground - the fossils, hidden treasure chests (not in dungeons).

6) more ruins - I love temples and villages, now give us more things that randomly spawn - they make exploring fucking great! Notch has talked about ruins showing up occasionally - how about making small things you yourself created on other save games appear randomly on your newest map, maybe destroyed and covered in vines? Or just give us more things like standard castles and tombs that we can find...full of monsters obviously. Like the Nether fortress, but in the "real world"!

Never going to happen) Since we can have different levels of snow, just give in and let us have different levels of dirt and maybe smooth stone - make the world look a BIT more realistic...not for everyone and against Notch's original plan and probably stupid, but I think it would be cool looking.

Also, I'd still like furniture.

Honestly, that's about it. I think we've been fucking spoiled by Jeb and Dinnerbone et all this year. We've gotten things I already had on my lists: the bats are my flying mob, horses to ride, new blocks and ore.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you can make cobble or wood stairs, why can't you have smooth stone stairs? I've wanted that since forever - slabs don't match. If you can do it with one block type, why not the others?

Same with colours. If they are introducing colouring to hardened clay, why make us hunt for clay? I hate clay, you're just looking in murky water all the time, often digging really slowly because its two blocks down. Just let me paint wood (and possibly smooth stone)

official stereo 3D support. I personally want oculus rift support (a random guy did a fantastic job in a couple of weeks without even having a rift, no excuses mojang), but also side by side 3D for people with 3DTVs and monitors. They already do anaglyph so the calculations are there - just draw them next to each other rather than overlapping.

Controller support. You can patch in a 360 but movement is restricted to digital, I'd like analog movement.

Agree 100% with smooth stone stairs. Especially since I just started building a giant building out of smooth stone. Also, I'd love glass slabs, obsidian slabs, frosted glass (translucent but not transparent) and stained glass.

I use a lot of glass in my builds.

Also, they should make clay easier to get. Maybe by introducing clay dirt or something.

I would like to see rotating blocks for windmills, muskets to deal with ghasts in the overworld, the ability to create zeppelins, ski lifts, and more diverse animals including sharks, bears, lions, ostriches, etc...

Also, the ability to craft more diverse blocks from smooth stone much like sand.

EVIL

I asked mack and vlad about this on the FTB server yesterday, when playing around with bdcraft 128 and optifine and I cant seem to run this texture pack smoothly. I now resorting to the 64 pixel version which for now seems to run fine, but I cant manage to run 128 at an acceptable frame rate (swings between 5 fps and 20 to a rare 40+ fps).

So I was wondering, what can I do about this? I love the texture pack, the 128 version looks sweet and I want to use that one. I have a good system i5 2500k, 8gb ram, and a GTX560ti and from forum comments on the bdcraft forums I read I get that most people seem to run it fine with a similar system.

I have the latest java 64 bit, (java 7 update 21) my system is up to date in terms of drivers. so I really have a difficult time to understand why things run so shitty. anyone here has any idea what the problem might be?

Sarcasm

I asked mack and vlad about this on the FTB server yesterday, when playing around with bdcraft 128 and optifine and I cant seem to run this texture pack smoothly. I now resorting to the 64 pixel version which for now seems to run fine, but I cant manage to run 128 at an acceptable frame rate (swings between 5 fps and 20 to a rare 40+ fps).

So I was wondering, what can I do about this? I love the texture pack, the 128 version looks sweet and I want to use that one. I have a good system i5 2500k, 8gb ram, and a GTX560ti and from forum comments on the bdcraft forums I read I get that most people seem to run it fine with a similar system.

I have the latest java 64 bit, (java 7 update 21) my system is up to date in terms of drivers. so I really have a difficult time to understand why things run so shitty. anyone here has any idea what the problem might be?

Is it sphax? If so also download this and slap into your instmod folder.

Sarcasm

It helped me a bunch I may go to 128..do you also use the FTB addon on top? With 64 sphax + addon + streaming I went down to 30..

with this..I am back up to 80.

Sarcasm

You don't put it in texturepacks, coremods or mods. You go up one where you see two folders...should look like this:

Mindcrack > InstMods / Minecraft

It goes in Instmods and leave it zipped

If yea put it there than ignore this =D

ZZMitch

I would like to see rotating blocks for windmills, muskets to deal with ghasts in the overworld, the ability to create zeppelins, ski lifts, and more diverse animals including sharks, bears, lions, ostriches, etc...

Also, the ability to craft more diverse blocks from smooth stone much like sand.

Stuff like this is probably never going to happen outside of mods. Against the spirit of the game according to Notch.

Roche

Woops missed that, thanks for pointing it out I'll jump on and play with you guys soon.

Also I finally managed to get my head around Lua for ComputerCraft, I decided to make my own tree felling program. I could have used other ones posted online but I wanted to see if I could program it myself.

Works quite well I must say.

Top Bottom