• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Chinner

Banned
just found the british isles
7Ka4g.png

Grinchy

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
No thanks dude. Maybe as an option, but I would also like the option to have the game give me an objective. Sitting down and trying to come up with something fun isn't really something I'm good at. That's a game dev's job
I just couldn't disagree with this statement more.

I guess for regular games, that could be seen as true. But this game struck a cord with me that's caused me to put more play time into it than most of the games made by "game devs" who "create the experience for you." I know exactly what you mean when you say it isn't something you are good at, though.

LittleBigPlanet never would have been so awesome to me if I didn't spend the majority of my time in the creator. People who only played levels probably see the game differently than I do.

Grinchy said:

I guess for regular games, that could be seen as true. But this game struck a cord with me that's caused me to put more play time into it than most of the games made by "game devs" who "create the experience for you." I know exactly what you mean when you say it isn't something you are good at, though.

LittleBigPlanet never would have been so awesome to me if I didn't spend the majority of my time in the creator. People who only played levels probably see the game differently than I do.
You know, I'd like to have it the LBP way where you're given some presets and can make your own.

Foxix Von

parasight said:
+3

They sold 3 copies between me and my friends. Yognaughts for life!

Holy shit this is an amazing playthrough. I just got to part 21, and this already to most amazing LP I've ever seen.

Israphel is a sneaky bastard.

Edit, watching part 22. Old_Peculier... what the hell?

Grinchy said:

But Minecraft already have a creative mode, for anyone that love to make creative stuff. The game require some objectives, in order to justify the fact that you are playing survival instead of creative. Right now, it's only resource gathering, but when you already got enough resources to do anything... there is no incentive in doing anything that you can't already do in creative mode.

I'm waiting for the archievement system, to see if encourage me in doing different goals.

Cranzor

Foxix said:
Holy shit this is an amazing playthrough. I just got to part 21, and this already to most amazing LP I've ever seen.

Israphel is a sneaky bastard.

Edit, watching part 22. Old_Peculier... what the hell?

Can you give me a link to the playthrough? I cant seem to find it on youtube.

Qwomo

Every time Lewis does something stupid (like place twenty torches within five squares of each other, fall off a ledge, stare at a wall instead of looking at the action, wonder where all these monsters are coming from around this mob spawner, use valuable tools to break through things like glass or leaves, or not see a mob that's directly in front of him), take a shot.

You'll be drunk in no time!

Jhriad

Sofo said:
I do!

No one? O:

Craftbook might still be borked on Exano's server. TBH I think a lot of people have stopped playing there because all the mods are broken. Hell there isn't even a MOTD now so I have no idea if anyone is on when I log on and have no idea how to check it since the old /who or /playerlist don't work.

Really getting tired of having to restart projects every 2 months because the server changes/poops out. I absolutely love the game but I think this is what's going to drive me away from it entirely. Spending weeks of effort into something that'll just languish and disappear for what is now my fourth time on a GAF multiplayer server is getting old as fuck.

Atomski

Jhriad said:
Craftbook might still be borked on Exano's server. TBH I think a lot of people have stopped playing there because all the mods are broken. Hell there isn't even a MOTD now so I have no idea if anyone is on when I log on and have no idea how to check it since the old /who or /playerlist don't work.

Really getting tired of having to restart projects every 2 months because the server changes/poops out. I absolutely love the game but I think this is what's going to drive me away from it entirely. Spending weeks of effort into something that'll just languish and disappear for what is now my fourth time on a GAF multiplayer server is getting old as fuck.

I feel like the mods are over rated. The server should just be pure survival mode with no mods. No waiting for mods to update or things breaking cause a mod bugs out.. pure minecraft.

Qwomo

CoffeeJanitor said:
Am I a fun killer for not lovin those vids cause i know they're just acting?
I hated it because of that, too, but only at first. It grew on me. And it's starting to feel kinda less scripted nowadays because they have a vast network of people that build and plan everything out, instead of the two of them doing it themselves. They obviously have a vague idea of what to expect, but I'm sure most of it is deliberately kept hidden from them.

It's fun.

Foxix Von

CoffeeJanitor said:
Am I a fun killer for not lovin those vids cause i know they're just acting?

Hmmm I was under the impression that they only have a rough idea of what's going to happen and it's all sort of being setup by some old WoW buddies of theirs?

Jhriad

Atomski said:
I feel like the mods are over rated. The server should just be pure survival mode with no mods. No waiting for mods to update or things breaking cause a mod bugs out.. pure minecraft.

It's not even just mods that are broken it seems like. Basic bukkit functionality isn't even working. TBH I wouldn't mind a more mod-less server but I think with any setup the admins eventually wear out and the server dies. It's already happened several times to GAF servers and if you're working on something really Big that takes weeks or even months of work having a server die out in the middle of a project repeatedly is disheartening.

Atomski

Jhriad said:
It's not even just mods that are broken it seems like. Basic bukkit functionality isn't even working. TBH I wouldn't mind a more mod-less server but I think with any setup the admins eventually wear out and the server dies. It's already happened several times to GAF servers and if you're working on something really Big that takes weeks or even months of work having a server die out in the middle of a project repeatedly is just disheartening.
It is sad but atleast most the time they put the server world up for download.

Wish I had a better connection so me and my close friends could just have our own server.

Ferrio

Banned
Really proud of my new house design. THought I'd share

Backside
2nw3136.jpg

Front
2jcsi2f.jpg

Living Room
2egaf6q.jpg

Bedroom
aot6pv.jpg

Loft
ohpwzq.jpg

The roof, and the great wall (we have a giant adminium wall surrounding us, to keep the world very very small)
13z520l.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ferrio said:
Really proud of my new house design. THought I'd share

The roof, and the great wall (we have a giant adminium wall surrounding us, to keep the world very very small)
13z520l.jpg

I need to get this game. I really hope to get some credit card for Steam when this game is released officially.

Juan29.zapata said:
I need to get this game. I really hope to get some credit card for Steam when this game is released officially.
Get it now. You're probably going to have to pay more at the official release anyways (which is like 7 months away).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm tempted to offer to take over the gaf minecraft server, I have a spare server with some heft behind it and a decent internet connection. Just not a dedicated IP.

The other option is to have it hosted:

http://www.servercraft.co/pricing/

I would put the money out for a couple of months, but I can't afford 25 a month indefinitely :(
Not until i'm out of College anyway, heh.

Do you typically build two separate, one-way tracks with their own boosters between two destinations?

I just built my first real stretch of minecart track today and have been farting around with a minecart, trying to figure out how to make it go. I couldn't figure out how to maintain its speed on my own, even built some elaborate rollercoaster sections to try and give as speed on the initial launch in at least one direction, finally gave in and discovered minecart boosters on the wiki.

So right now I have a booster on each end of this one long stretch of track, I have to hop out of the cart near the end and destroy it, otherwise I get thrown back the way I came. Also the initial booster doesn't always provide enough of a boost to last the entire ride. SOme launches carry me all the way, others only half the distance.

It probably makes sense to have a one-way track with two or three boosters along the way.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
CoffeeJanitor said:
Get it now. You're probably going to have to pay more at the official release anyways (which is like 7 months away).
I know! But I don't have any way to get it! Where the hell am I supposed to get a credit card by then?!

But hypothetically, and I'm not saying that it will happen, if I happen to get a credit card and am able to get the game, will I be able to activated officially through Steam?

Juan29.zapata said:
I know! But I don't have any way to get it! Where the hell am I supposed to get a credit card by then?!

But hypothetically, and I'm not saying that it will happen, if I happen to get a credit card and am able to get the game, will I be able to activated officially through Steam?
No credit card, huh? I dunno man. You could use paypal and wire from your bank account or whatever.

I have no idea for Steam. Who knows if Notch is even going through it.

Ranger X

CoffeeJanitor said:
No thanks dude. Maybe as an option, but I would also like the option to have the game give me an objective. Sitting down and trying to come up with something fun isn't really something I'm good at. That's a game dev's job

No. A game genre is a game genre. It's not horror movie's job do to what a comedy does. It's not a shooter's job to fill the need of people having a taste for Tetris.
Minecraft is a "sandbox game". Almost the only one existing on top of that. If it's not the type of game you want to play, you know what do to. Wanting every game to be everything doesn't bring any good on the table.

Also, a sandbox game IS having goals. It can have as much goals as any other genre of games and even more. It's just that this type of game doesn't tell you explicity what your goals are. It's you that freestyle through the game and have your own fun and goals. If it's boring to you when a game doesn't list you goals to do, there are more linear and conventional games available for that.

Anyhow, the sandbox genre is unexplored and currently a unique experience. I want them to capitalise on this, not change the genre of the game. The potential of a sandbox is so tremendously huge, it would be crazy not to continue in the direction they seem to have right now. Don't be mistaken though, I don't mean to defend the latest updates as substantial, they ARE pretty insignificant updates. I want improvement and alot of new stuff, meaningful stuff. The achievements there are pretty cool but 1.5 still is just candy and ambiances.

Ranger X said:
No. A game genre is a game genre. It's not horror's movie do to what a comedy does. It's not a shooter's job to fill the need of people having a taste for Tetris.
Minecraft is a "sandbox game". Almost the only one existing on top of that. If it's not the type of game you want to play, you know what do to. Wanting every game to be everything doesn't bring any good on the table.

Also, a sandbox game IS having goals. It can have as much goals as any other genre of games and even more. It's just that this type of game doesn't tell you explicity what your goals are. It's you that freestyle through the game and have your own fun and goals. If it's boring to you when a game doesn't list you goals to do, there are more linear and conventional games available for that.

Anyhow, the sandbox genre is unexplored and currently a unique experience. I want them to capitalise on this, not change the genre of the game. The potential of a sandbox is so tremendously huge, it would be crazy not to continue in the direction they seem to have right now. Don't be mistaken though, I don't mean to defend the latest updates as substantial, they ARE pretty insignificant updates. I want improvement and alot of new stuff, meaningful stuff. The achievements there are pretty cool but 1.5 still is just candy and ambiances.
I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just that right now the game is me building something. When I finish building it....Well, then I'm done. There's no reward for anything outside of looking at your structure.

Anyways I think a lot of the possible improvements that have been mentioned wouldn't really impede on the gameplay anyways.

Ranger X

CoffeeJanitor said:
I'm not disagreeing with you. It's just that right now the game is me building something. When I finish building it....Well, then I'm done. There's no reward for anything outside of looking at your structure.

Anyways I think a lot of the possible improvements that have been mentioned wouldn't really impede on the gameplay anyways.

Farming could be deeper, Hunting too, more mobs and weapons, more diverse and interactive fauna and flora, more vehicules. They could had systems of everything. We could craft gold pieces, attach prices to stuff, having a law system, jobs, anything really.
The only difference with a sandbox game is that you need to implement the behavior, the system itself, not dictate the player what to do with it.
But oh well, I am sure Notch underestimate the potential of a sandbox game. Imagine a game genre than can always evolve. It theorically could evolve up until being "real life 2". Real life IS a mega complex and extremely huge sandbox.

animlboogy said:
You guys wanting pure survival should just play on my server. ASSCRAFT ONLINE ADVENTURES. I will mod when stable stuff comes out for simple stuff, but my main thing is always updating when those hit. Second server in the OP.
Asscraft's different areas and buildings have the best names

Mik2121

Believe.

KY2XO.png

GnNOY.png

Yeah, I know it sucks. I just rushed it now, but maybe with textures added it could look slightly better!. I didn't want to use many blocks either (and no other shapes, seeing how in Minecraft everything is made out of blocks...)

Anyway, I imagine it would be awesome if you could either:

- Kill the dragon

- Tame the dragon

If you kill it, it would give you tons of shit like 'Dragon Scale' to make armors, weapons and items, 'and you could also get all the treasures in the dragon's lair.

If you tame it, it would be your flying transport and you could even create your own dragon's lair in your house/fortress and have the dragon kill all the enemies that get close.

Ranger X

parasight said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkQARwb5cVk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

If that isn't a reason to hate the guys behind FortressCraft, I don't know what is.

Every piece that adds concerning the FortressCraft guys is always a step towards confirming my first impression of them and their game. A first impression that I will politely not say here 'cause we all have better stuff to talk about, you know, stuff that can be worth our time. :)

BooJoh

jaundicejuice said:
Do you typically build two separate, one-way tracks with their own boosters between two destinations?

I just built my first real stretch of minecart track today and have been farting around with a minecart, trying to figure out how to make it go. I couldn't figure out how to maintain its speed on my own, even built some elaborate rollercoaster sections to try and give as speed on the initial launch in at least one direction, finally gave in and discovered minecart boosters on the wiki.

So right now I have a booster on each end of this one long stretch of track, I have to hop out of the cart near the end and destroy it, otherwise I get thrown back the way I came. Also the initial booster doesn't always provide enough of a boost to last the entire ride. SOme launches carry me all the way, others only half the distance.

It probably makes sense to have a one-way track with two or three boosters along the way.
2011-04-02_021038.png

This is what I've got. I haven't tested extensively, but it should work fine. It will boost you if you're coming from either direction, while ignoring the "wrong" booster cart. If you have this at the end of a track, you can leave off the unneeded booster (for example, in that pic you could remove the upper booster since you don't need it to throw you into that block on the left.)

That's what I've created, only instead of having the one pit with the ramps nullifying the booster cart for the other direction I stupidly have two sets of parallel track with their own separate boosters.

I'm going to consolidate the track into one and try that booster system. I might scrap the track altogether. I did all this work for a tunnel system that ended up back near my spawn (once I dug upwards) and the cave system I tunneled into wasn't as ore rich as I thought it was. The underground all around my spawn is swiss cheese, I keep digging in all of these random directions and everything's just starting to intersect, it's kind of confusing honestly.

Grinchy

Banned
Finished up the shell of my future home on Asscraft. It is not far behind my old home, so I'm thinking of some kind of secret passage between them.

iQ3k6.png

It feels like it took a ton of stone just to make the shell. The inside is going to take forever.

pn4Ir.png

My oval-shaped bedroom will lead out to the balcony in the front. It's in dirt right now because I actually have to go and mine new materials.

UQACH.png

I still have to finish making the rooms inside and the staircase leading to the upstairs hallways. Not to mention the floor...and reshaping the earth around it to make the road connect to the main road...

AEREC

Finally bought this game for some reason...not even sure what to do in it yet.

I thought it would run better though, got an i7, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 460 1GB and it looks like I get 20-30fps....I thought performance would be better for some reason.

Wichu

AEREC said:

I thought it would run better though, got an i7, 8GB RAM, and a GTX 460 1GB and it looks like I get 20-30fps....I thought performance would be better for some reason.
If you're using 64-bit Windows, make sure you have 64-bit Java (you need to use a 64-bit browser to download it for some reason). Dunno how much of an effect that will have, but people having 32-bit Java is quite a common problem.

AEREC

Wichu said:
If you're using 64-bit Windows, make sure you have 64-bit Java (you need to use a 64-bit browser to download it for some reason). Dunno how much of an effect that will have, but people having 32-bit Java is quite a common problem.

Thanks...I will look into that.

Ranger X

You're bound to be 30fps. I have a similar PC to yours.
I use a real bomb at the office though and it's not really better. As soon as it's busy on-screen it's getting back at 25-30 fps.

Branduil

animlboogy said:
You guys wanting pure survival should just play on my server. ASSCRAFT ONLINE ADVENTURES. I will mod when stable stuff comes out for simple stuff, but my main thing is always updating when those hit. Second server in the OP.
Can we get a new render soon? Pretty please?

Mik2121 said:
Believe.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/KY2XO.png[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/GnNOY.png[/IMG]

Yeah, I know it sucks. I just rushed it now, but maybe with textures added it could look slightly better!. I didn't want to use many blocks either (and no other shapes, seeing how in Minecraft everything is made out of blocks...)

Anyway, I imagine it would be awesome if you could either:

- Kill the dragon

- Tame the dragon

If you kill it, it would give you tons of shit like 'Dragon Scale' to make armors, weapons and items, 'and you could also get all the treasures in the dragon's lair.

If you tame it, it would be your flying transport and you could even create your own dragon's lair in your house/fortress and have the dragon kill all the enemies that get close.

I like the sound of Dragon Scale armour. Would be nice if it was fire resistant as well, like 1 second per armour unit, so that a full suit would protect you for 10 seconds if you fell in lava, before it disintegrated. You'd have a chance of getting out before burning to a crisp then lol.

Hope you're going to texture that dragon and post pics. You've got the Minecraft look going pretty good there I think.

Tawpgun

R.I.P.

Omega and Legend

Omega died during our exploration, but helped me find the greatest canyon ever.
Legend died defending me when we were searching for the canyon again....

Now I only have Ajax and Titan left.

Protip guys, create individual dog cells and name your dogs. It's much more personal that way.

.nimrod

AEREC said:

Ranger X said:
You're bound to be 30fps. I have a similar PC to yours.
I use a real bomb at the office though and it's not really better. As soon as it's busy on-screen it's getting back at 25-30 fps.

I just bought it as well, and i'm getting ~60-120fps (according to fraps), with framerate set to limited in the options.

I've got an i7 870, 8GB Ram and a GTX580 running on Win7 x64, 20-30fps seems really low o_O

edit: Now that i think about it, it definitely doesn't look like 60fps...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
AEREC said:

Odd, I get great performance, even full screen at 1920x1080 and I have an I7 also.
Your I7 Overclocked?

Mine is @ 3.67ghz and HT turned off and I average around 200fps when walking around south point.

Edit:

I'm looking at the fps gauge you get when you press F3.

Ranger X

I think it might depend more on the graphic card really.
At home I have an old Radeon HD 4680. When I am underground I'm almost constantly in the 50-60 fps and when I get outside I oscillate around 30. At the office I have an excellent graphic card but I don't remember the name. I go way over 60 fps but when there's some busy environement, I am back oscillating around 30 fps.

Anyhow, I hope there are still performance improvements to come. :/

Kalnos

Banned
Juan29.zapata said:

I have an extra key for the game if you want it. If he doesn't answer, I'll give it to someone else who doesn't own it yet, I just forgot about it
KuGsj.gif

Top Bottom