• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

kidko

Hi guys, just started playing again after a long break... i think wolves were the newest thing when I fell off. This time I'm hosting my own server for a friend and I to play on.

Anyway, I just realized that it defaulted to 'easy' difficulty so I set it to 'normal' and restarted the server, but I'm not sure how to verify that the change took. I heard about spiders causing poison on normal difficulty, but when I fought one after making the change, I didn't get poisoned.

Any tips for a sure way to verify the difficulty is normal? thx

Hi guys, just started playing again after a long break... i think wolves were the newest thing when I fell off. This time I'm hosting my own server for a friend and I to play on.

Anyway, I just realized that it defaulted to 'easy' difficulty so I set it to 'normal' and restarted the server, but I'm not sure how to verify that the change took. I heard about spiders causing poison on normal difficulty, but when I fought one after making the change, I didn't get poisoned.

Any tips for a sure way to verify the difficulty is normal? thx

zombies will do 2 hearts of damage, rather than 1 1/2 hearts.
or arrows will do 2 hearts instead of 1.

also the only poisonous spiders are cave spiders, they are smaller than regular spiders and usually only appear in mineshafts.

Isobelise

You guys we still have to make like the for reals BIOGAF.
not like skycity bur FOR REALS, with top side floating city and slumdogslums below it YOU GUYS help meh makkee iieeett

BIOGAF.jpg

Concept art provided by duawesomeLiz

You guys we still have to make like the for reals BIOGAF.
not like skycity bur FOR REALS, with top side floating city and slumdogslums below it YOU GUYS help meh makkee iieeett

Concept art provided by duawesomeLiz

well i could certainly help out with the base of the floating island. just mod powers up some floatin stone or dirt.

unless you wanted to do it legit, which would take a long ass time.

Legit 4 life, it's never as special when mod powers get involved.

i agree, but i just don't got that kind of time anymore to build some super-massive thing one block at a time , nor do i have the patience. i mean my JP build probably just wouldn't be feasible without it. (especially now that neocraft has like no one on anymore.)

Roche

i agree, but i just don't got that kind of time anymore to build some super-massive thing one block at a time , nor do i have the patience. i mean my JP build probably just wouldn't be feasible without it. (especially now that neocraft has like no one on anymore.)

Well it's a personal preference thing to be honest, but I think the idea of SkyCity in the first place was to divide the work throughout everyone in the server.

If everyone contributes a little bit then it's special to everyone and would come together far nicer than it would otherwise.

Well it's a personal preference thing to be honest, but I think the idea of SkyCity in the first place was to divide the work throughout everyone in the server.

If everyone contributes a little bit then it's special to everyone and would come together far nicer than it would otherwise.

I think this is a pretty good idea.

ok sure, i think that's a fine idea if that's how we want to do it, ive got nothing against that. i'd even be willing to contribute. (i did already make a small bioshock infinite inspired place in ashgadia)

we just need people to come back to neocraft first, please :'(

Roche

I just managed to fully automate my turtle tree farm, I know there's about a million different people who have already written a program to farm Fir trees but I feel pretty proud that I figured out how to write one myself.

Little guy cuts down the tree, deposits the goods and picks up charcoal, bonemeal and saplings as he needs them. I have the logs going to an induction furnace which is powered by the charcoal it's producing and I pipe the rest to storage. I now have more charcoal than I know what to do with.

I'm actually really proud of my lil' buddy, this is how I imagine it feels to watch your kid go to school for the first time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Need portal/nether help.

On our family server, we moved our house to a different location on the map and built a portal to the nether. But it linked to a portal in the nether we'd built before. And when we travelled back,new were back in our original town.

I demolished the portal in the old town, walked back to the new one and tried again. This time the game created a new portal in the main world, right next to the where the previous one was.

How do I stop it doing that?

Also, we want to look for nether quartz but can't find any - will it only be in newly generated chunks (we explored quite a bit in a previous version for glow stone)? Can we delete the nether on a multiplayer server without affecting the main world, to force it to regenerate new chunks with quartz in?

Need portal/nether help.

On our family server, we moved our house to a different location on the map and built a portal to the nether. But it linked to a portal in the nether we'd built before. And when we travelled back,new were back in our original town.

I demolished the portal in the old town, walked back to the new one and tried again. This time the game created a new portal in the main world, right next to the where the previous one was.

How do I stop it doing that?

Take the coordinates of the portal in the overworld and divide the X and Z by 8 and put the portal at those coordinates in the nether. That should do it.

Also, we want to look for nether quartz but can't find any - will it only be in newly generated chunks

Yep

Can we delete the nether on a multiplayer server without affecting the main world, to force it to regenerate new chunks with quartz in?

This I have no idea about.

Also, we want to look for nether quartz but can't find any - will it only be in newly generated chunks (we explored quite a bit in a previous version for glow stone)? Can we delete the nether on a multiplayer server without affecting the main world, to force it to regenerate new chunks with quartz in?

i believe you can do that by deleting the DIM1 folder in your worlds folder. (not DIM-1 thats the end). then restart the server.

make sure to back up everything before doing this.

but, i don't see any need to do this, the nether is infinite so you might as well explore your existing nether until finding some nether quarts and building a portal there.

defel

Need portal/nether help.

Ye its almost easier to do it in reverse and create the portal in the nether rather than in the overworld. When you make a portal in the overworld it will take those co-ordinates in the overworld, divide it by 8 and then in the nether it will check whether portals already exist within a certain radius of those co-ordinates. If so then it will just link to that existing portal without creating a new one. Just do it in reverse and build a portal from the nether to the overworld at the exact corresponding co-ordinates and it will link back to your new base.

Hey guys, I have a friend who wants to get into Minecraft on PC, but he doesn't want to use a mouse and keyboard and instead use a Xbox 360 controller to play. Are there any good controller mods?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey guys, I have a friend who wants to get into Minecraft on PC, but he doesn't want to use a mouse and keyboard and instead use a Xbox 360 controller to play. Are there any good controller mods?

Marulu said:
How to play Minecrift using an Xbox 360 controller.

You need:
-A copy of Minecraft
-A Xbox 360 controller
-Xpadder version 5.3 (download: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5869-xpadder.html)
-My Minecraft control profile (download link at the end of this post.)
-My Xbox 360 control profile (also available at the end of this post.)

Step by step guide:

1.Create a folder in the directory in which you want to install Xpadder
2.Place the .exe file you just downloaded into the folder and run it
3.After running the .exe file there should be some new folders in the directory.
4.Delete or move the .exe file which you just used.
4.Extract Xpadder Profiles.zip and move it´s contents in to the profiles folder.
5.Run Xpadder.exe (If you are on a Windows 7 or 8 PC run it in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (service Pack 3))
6.Accept every upcoming popup message.
7.Click the little Xbox controller in the top left of the screen, click "open" and select the "My XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller).xpaddercontroller" file you previously placed in the profiles folder.
8.Click the little document icon in the middle of the screen, click "open" and select the "Minecraft.xpadderprofile" file you previously placed in the profiles folder.
9.Open Minecraft to play it using an Xbox 360 controller.
(You have to open Xpadder.exe every time before playing Minecraft to use the Xbox 360 controller from now on.)

What button does what:
(This only is accurate if you haven´t changed the controls in your Minecraft installation before.)

A: Jump
B: Drop item
X: Pick block
Y: Inventory
Select: Show/Hide UI
Start: Pause Menu
Little left trigger: Previous Item
Little right Trigger: Next Item
Big Left Trigger: Use Item/Place Block/etc.
Big Right Trigger: Attack/Dig
Press Left Joystick: Toggle Sneaking On/Off
Left Joystick: Walk
Right Joystick: Mouse look/Moving mouse in menus

Let me know if this works for you guys.
-Marulu

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17146&start=480#p128340

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why are my chickens suddenly drowning?

Built a basic chicken farm - layer of water over signs, surrounded by fence. But when I hatch my chickens they're all drowning (well dying at least)

Don't remember this ever happening before.

running on my family bukkit server but hardly any mods

why are my chickens suddenly drowning?

Built a basic chicken farm - layer of water over signs, surrounded by fence. But when I hatch my chickens they're all drowning (well dying at least)

Don't remember this ever happening before.

running on my family bukkit server but hardly any mods

Chicks have been drowning since 1.5 I think. Not sure if it's a bug or a 'feature'. A friend of mine was building a big automated, water-based chicken farm in our server, and didn't realize that it doesn't work currently since all the chicks would drown before growing. Pretty frustrating.

ShadiWulf

i'll be back on neocraft soon, been playing on a personal game of mine

i was exploring an abandoned mineshaft earlier today, being really careful, but i guess not careful enough, got attacked by a cave spider and backed up into lava! lost like 30 iron ingots, iron picaxe, and some iron armor in the lava. I should be thankful my whole inventory didn't get burned to a crisp, would of been really devastated! This was just really annoying and bad.

needless to say, i got a base set up in the mineshaft now, enemy proof, and a bed, chest, and furnace, might sound like overkill but i don't want to loose anymore stuff

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Tech-savvy Minecraft guys I need your help: so this summer I'm leading a "Minecraft workshop" for ten or so kids and I'm working on configuring Minecraft on the computers of the place I'm working at. I've got Minecraft working on every machine but I'm clueless on what to do with the server stuff.

They have a network drive that every computer connects to, if I run the Server exe off this drive is that what I need to be doing? Or rather, its a dedicated machine but I guess windows describes it as a "network drive". And how do I find the local IP of a network drive so I know where to tell the individual games to look?

Thanks for any help

Tech-savvy Minecraft guys I need your help: so this summer I'm leading a "Minecraft workshop" for ten or so kids and I'm working on configuring Minecraft on the computers of the place I'm working at. I've got Minecraft working on every machine but I'm clueless on what to do with the server stuff.

They have a network drive that every computer connects to, if I run the Server exe off this drive is that what I need to be doing? Or rather, its a dedicated machine but I guess windows describes it as a "network drive". And how do I find the local IP of a network drive so I know where to tell the individual games to look?

Thanks for any help

If it's just a network drive, then I fear that won't do. The server software needs to be run on an actual machine, since it'll have quite a lot to process. You can find out what the IP address is in the network by opening a Command Prompt (type "cmd" in your start menu) and then typing "ipconfig" inside. It'll tell you what the IP address is for that machine.

Vlad

In what has to be probably the shortest gap between seasons, the it looks like the Mindcrack guys started showing UHC 11 last night. Haven't watched any of it yet beyond the intro in Guude's video, but it looks like there's some interesting twists again:

• Permanent daytime
  • 20 minute episodes
  • Special Guest: Dinnerbone!

It's a 21-person free-for-all, which most likely why they reduced the episodes to 20 minutes.

Vlad

Ok, here's a weird situation I'm having on Mirk's server, maybe someone else will have some troubleshooting ideas that I haven't already tried...

Starting at some point yesterday, I started getting some pretty severe lag on there, but it seems to be just me. And when I say severe, I mean "type something in chat and it shows up two minutes later" severe. The thing is, when I go on NeoCraft, I don't have any lag issues at all, so it's not my connection, but it's not the server, since it seems to just be affecting me.

I've tried:

- Leaving the area around my base, in case something in there was causing the issue, although I haven't added anything horribly complicated lately. I've got about 22 combustion engines running, but those have been up for weeks, so it can't be that. Also, Roche came over to my base to see if there was any localized lag that was affecting him, and he was fine.

- Doing all the usual modem resets and such. Every speed test I can think of shows my connection as being perfectly fine. I've pinged both the NeoCraft and NeoCrack servers, and both are showing perfectly good ping times.

- Asking Mirk to do a server reset. After the reset, the problem remained.

- Reinstalling FTB.

I noticed that it did improve quite a bit yesterday at one point, but only got worse when I moved around at all, causing new chunks to load in.

Anybody have any ideas?

EDIT: Thanks to Roche again for making me realize that the Ping test also reveals packet loss. Apparently I'm getting 23% packet loss only to NeoCrack. NeoCraft still came up fine. Hmmm...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If it's just a network drive, then I fear that won't do. The server software needs to be run on an actual machine, since it'll have quite a lot to process. You can find out what the IP address is in the network by opening a Command Prompt (type "cmd" in your start menu) and then typing "ipconfig" inside. It'll tell you what the IP address is for that machine.

Yeah, I ended figuring it out, it was an actual machine, I just had to access it as a machine and not a network drive. Thanks though

AkUUmba.jpg

Ya a git you know that ;-) nah not been on the server for a week. Only popped on now cos I saw Otamin on his own and wanted to catch him doing rude things :p

you know that seems pretty tame for Dry. are you sure it was him and not some impostor trying to get dry to take the blame?

it was Dry

Enco

You guys seen the earth map? Looks amazing.

Should do a server with that :p Although it's huge. There's another earth one that's to an even smaller scale but it's older and MC didn't enjoy converting a 3 GB save.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Does it seem like everyone is a bit......bored of the current server?

I'm not, I just haven't had a lot of time lately to play. Summer means I'm out on the Harley or hiking, mtn biking, or kayaking. Less time for gaming.

I need to retire so I have more free time, LOL.

Jhriad

Are we allowed to explore out and create new chunks on Neocraft? Also, is the map able to generate everything that's new since it was started? I've been away a while and I wasn't sure.

Are we allowed to explore out and create new chunks on Neocraft? Also, is the map able to generate everything that's new since it was started? I've been away a while and I wasn't sure.

Yes within reason on the first (I think Charlie and Ark might say different and they are the bosses though) and yes on the second.

What are the pros and cons of using tnt to shape the landscape?

Does there come a point where you can say: "To hell with the resource gathering, I have enough stone and iron, so I'll just level a mountain."

Woorloog

Banned

Should do a server with that :p Although it's huge. There's another earth one that's to an even smaller scale but it's older and MC didn't enjoy converting a 3 GB save.

Huge.

I wonder what projection was used for this map.

XKCD server down, can't link the comic...

ZZMitch

Wow this is pretty great. I would use it for my survival world if it came with villages/temples.

What are the pros and cons of using tnt to shape the landscape?

Does there come a point where you can say: "To hell with the resource gathering, I have enough stone and iron, so I'll just level a mountain."

I haven't found it feasible since making enough TNT to do anything significant requires a shitload of gunpowder, and there are no creeper spawners to exploit.

And I've found you can never have enough stone. But then I build pretty big things, mostly out of stone.

Top Bottom