• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Sblargh

Banned
So, I googled it and had little success. How do I make minecraft "look better" (i.e, what is a good source of mods that only modify the looks?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Suikoguy said:
I really wish he would fix the nether in multiplayer... :(
Multiplayer generally needs to be much better. Too many things only work properly in singleplayer

I don't need tons of mods, but I like the creeper 'no world damage' to protect against someone damaging your creation by accident. And /home as the compass/bed still isn't perfect

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'm mining about.. 5 blocks above bedrock. Getting shitloads of redstone as ever, and plenty of Diamond.
My only problem is this time i'm not getting enough Iron, i find that when i used to just search caves i'd find loads of iron (but probably end up getting lost) so this time i thought i'd try strip mining.

Does anyone find their iron success rate to be greater a little higher up? I just want to make huge minecart systems this time -.-

Is there any way I'm going to have the option to buy this through Steam at some point? Obviously buying through the official site would be safe since so many have done that already, but... I dunno. I don't want to give my credit card info to a site for a single game. Still seems sketchy.

Night_Trekker said:
Is there any way I'm going to have the option to buy this through Steam at some point? Obviously buying through the official site would be safe since so many have done that already, but... I dunno. I don't want to give my credit card info to a site for a single game. Still seems sketchy.

You can pay via Paypal.

Night_Trekker said:

Ok grandma. I don't see anything to be worried about.

Ranger X

Cindres said:
I'm mining about.. 5 blocks above bedrock. Getting shitloads of redstone as ever, and plenty of Diamond.
My only problem is this time i'm not getting enough Iron, i find that when i used to just search caves i'd find loads of iron (but probably end up getting lost) so this time i thought i'd try strip mining.

Does anyone find their iron success rate to be greater a little higher up? I just want to make huge minecart systems this time -.-

Yes in my experience there's more Iron a little higher up. Redstone seems to generate way too much (like Coal) and the best Iron is sorta in-between in matter of depth.
The way I collect my Iron is simply to find natural caves and go into a spelunking session. The exploration is added fun to mining the stuff so it's not boring like strip mining to me. You can also play at "easy" or something if you want more tension and fear of the dark!

Anyhow, I have a shitload of Iron when I'm done with a couple of caves. I don't even know if I'll ever use it all. (maybe if I mess with minecarts and make alot of tracks...)

Cindres said:

Coal, below 128 (so, everywhere)
Iron, below 64 (sea level, so a few blocks below the surface)
Gold, ¿Redstone? below 32
Diamonds, ¿lapiz azuli? below 16

If you don't go very deep, you should be able to get tons of iron. You can even mine it without going into a cave, simply finding a spot that is sea level and make a quarry of 10-12 blocks depth.

Ranger X

Wow, I've been trying to light up caves around my ranch so most mobs would only spawn in my mob grinder and I think I fell on a biggest cave that anything I've seen so far. And it's not like I never did see some epic caves before, its just that I thought I wouldn't be surprised by a cave again... and I was wrong!

Ranger X said:
Wow, I've been trying to light up caves around my ranch so most mobs would only spawn in my mob grinder and I think I fell on a biggest cave that anything I've seen so far. And it's not like I never did see some epic caves before, its just that I thought I wouldn't be surprised by a cave again... and I was wrong!

Still in the same seed?

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Still in the same seed?

Yes, I am always in the same seed. More fun to explore it than generating different worlds.
I still did not try the cave you once pointed me out by the way. My new cave here my not be bigger, I dunno.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How far around do you need to clear out mobs to concentrate them in your grinder? And is there a limit how far away you can be before they stop spawning?

Btw, I like that you're sticking with the same spawn. Its very easy to spam seeds, looking for something interesting to be delivered to your doorstep. But where is the sense of adventure and exploration with that? I bet most seeds have amazing caves and surface features, just nit necessarily on your doorstep

(I would like an official map in the game though. Don't mind if it starts off empty and then fills in as you explore)

Ranger X said:
Yes, I am always in the same seed. More fun to explore it than generating different worlds.
I still did not try the cave you once pointed me out by the way. My new cave here my not be bigger, I dunno.

If your ranch is where you said (just on the other side of that huuuge cliff towards water) is probably the same cave system, because is very huge and expand a lot of blocks away in every direction.

After the 1.5, i'm gonna start a new seed, to start from scratch, and I have a question about mob spawner.

If you do a "vertical" mob spawner (instead a very huge design of 100x50 big room, to make a tower with several 12x12 rooms, one over the other... mobs will be spawned in all the rooms? Or mobs only spawn in one of the rooms?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
DangerousDave said:
Coal, below 128 (so, everywhere)
Iron, below 64 (sea level, so a few blocks below the surface)
Gold, ¿Redstone? below 32
Diamonds, ¿lapiz azuli? below 16

If you don't go very deep, you should be able to get tons of iron. You can even mine it without going into a cave, simply finding a spot that is sea level and make a quarry of 10-12 blocks depth.

Think i may try a quarry or something then, i used to just search caves but i got fed up of being lost in them and fighting off monsters.

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
How far around do you need to clear out mobs to concentrate them in your grinder? And is there a limit how far away you can be before they stop spawning?

Btw, I like that you're sticking with the same spawn. Its very easy to spam seeds, looking for something interesting to be delivered to your doorstep. But where is the sense of adventure and exploration with that? I bet most seeds have amazing caves and surface features, just nit necessarily on your doorstep

(I would like an official map in the game though. Don't mind if it starts off empty and then fills in as you explore)

Well, I don't have exact numbers but I noticed that monsters can spawn pretty near where you stand (just like good mobs). Probably something around 32 blocks from you. They also despawn before the terrain (according to "far" draw distance). So yeah, I never did calculate how many blocks far is the draw distance but it's probably something like 400 to 600 blocks from you maybe? I'd say the monsters are despawning at like tierce the distance.

Yeah, spamming seeds sounds cheap to me. Especially when we have working beds now. As I explore my seed, I realise they all contain those features we like, it's simply about finding them. I might post the map of what I explored so far to show you. It's getting pretty big! Staying in the same seed is also contributing to the experience imo. You will "know your world" and there's a special "relationship" you will devellop with it, if I can put it that way. Right now I can navigate through pretty much everything I explored without looking at the map and without getting lost. It's crazy how much terrain the brain can remember!

DangerousDave said:
If your ranch is where you said (just on the other side of that huuuge cliff towards water) is probably the same cave system, because is very huge and expand a lot of blocks away in every direction.

After the 1.5, i'm gonna start a new seed, to start from scratch, and I have a question about mob spawner.

If you do a "vertical" mob spawner (instead a very huge design of 100x50 big room, to make a tower with several 12x12 rooms, one over the other... mobs will be spawned in all the rooms? Or mobs only spawn in one of the rooms?

My ranch is pretty far from your cave. I found some impressive cliffs sorta in between 3 biomes and settled down there. I can reach a desert and snowfield pretty quickly and I'm not too far from the original spawnpoint by boat. You'll see if I post my map.

Ranger X said:
My ranch is pretty far from your cave. I found some impressive cliffs sorta in between 3 biomes and settled down there. I can reach a desert and snowfield pretty quickly and I'm not too far from the original spawnpoint by boat. You'll see if I post my map.

Post it, then. That map is full of epic caves, so I'm not sure if restarting in a new seed or restarting in the same seed.

Leunam

I built an offshore rig a ways away from my home in the mountains so I can start my mining operation. Unfortunately, the main strut in the center isn't large enough to be able to dig down neatly and safely without flooding it. Live and learn I guess. :( I'll have to rework it tonight.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Leunam said:
I built an offshore rig a ways away from my home in the mountains so I can start my mining operation. Unfortunately, the main strut in the center isn't large enough to be able to dig down neatly and safely without flooding it. Live and learn I guess. :( I'll have to rework it tonight.
ladder?

elwes

So I'm pretty sure my days of marathon playing this game are over. 90% positive the excessive amount of time I've spent playing has damaged a nerve in my left arm, making two of my fingers numb and tingly. Sucks. D:

I will probably take off some time and give the wasd'ing a rest. This is what I get for being an addict.

Leunam

Pandaman said:

I wanted to use a spiral staircase. Currently it's a spiral staircase to get from sea level to the upper deck but I may use a ladder to go down from sea level. The plan was to make one room right below sea level access to set up shop (bench, bed, storage) and then work my way down. I figured it would look better with steps but I guess I'll have to make do with the room I have.

Vinci

Danish
Leunam said:
I wanted to use a spiral staircase. Currently it's a spiral staircase to get from sea level to the upper deck but I may use a ladder to go down from sea level. The plan was to make one room right below sea level access to set up shop (bench, bed, storage) and then work my way down. I figured it would look better with steps but I guess I'll have to make do with the room I have.

Unless I'm trying to make a mostly visual design, I hardly ever use spiral staircases. I find them less practical for function-based designs, such a mines and whatnot. Up to you though.

Leunam

Yep, it's purely visual, that's the only reason I've set up the main strut that way.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to rework the dock also.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Post it, then. That map is full of epic caves, so I'm not sure if restarting in a new seed or restarting in the same seed.

I will try and post the map tonight with the caves I discovered with an X on them or something. I hope I will be able to host the image at a decent size...

cbox

I've got a problem that is really bugging me. I can host a server on my netbook no problem but when I try on my main pc, not one person can join. Both machines are running 64bit win 7, both have the latest java, and both have the right ports open.

The netbook isn't the best solution for the server as it's pretty slow, any ideas?

Ranger X

evilgreg said:
Ranger X, do you play single player only? You should hop on asscraft with us all at some point.

I connected to Asscraft the other day. I reserve the multiplayer fun for when I'll be bored of my single player map and liberty. ;)

Foxix Von

So assuming I somehow wind up with a copy of this how does multiplayer work exactly? Is Asscraft the most popular or is it pretty baren? Should I just play on that or is single player a better way to start?

Vinci

Danish
Foxix said:
So assuming I somehow wind up with a copy of this how does multiplayer work exactly? Is Asscraft the most popular or is it pretty baren? Should I just play on that or is single player a better way to start?

I would start single player, and then (after a week or so) switch to multi. You should at least experience a core virginal night, and get some of the base mechanics down. Just make sure that whatever server you hop on, you ask about rules and decorum.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ranger X said:
I connected to Asscraft the other day. I reserve the multiplayer fun for when I'll be bored of my single player map and liberty. ;)

I feel the same way. I've only connected to an MP server once. I'm actually not that OCD in real life, but in Minecraft the idea of now being able to have things exactly how I want them drives me a little up the wall.

I like that Notch eventually has a vision of "merging" SP and MP so the exist more holistically. So my world can be SP most of the time, but some specific friends can drop in / drop out and work on things with me. And I can do the same with them.

Vinci

Danish
GDJustin said:
I feel the same way. I've only connected to an MP server once. I'm actually not that OCD in real life, but in Minecraft the idea of now being able to have things exactly how I want them drives me a little up the wall.

I like that Notch eventually has a vision of "merging" SP and MP so the exist more holistically. So my world can be SP most of the time, but some specific friends can drop in / drop out and work on things with me. And I can do the same with them.

I jump back and forth between single and multi, so this merging would be more than welcome.

Salaadin

One of the reasons why I dont want to jump into multi is because I dont want to give up the stuff I have and things I built. This merging idea sounds good to me too.

Top Bottom