• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

GDJustin said:
I feel the same way. I've only connected to an MP server once. I'm actually not that OCD in real life, but in Minecraft the idea of now being able to have things exactly how I want them drives me a little up the wall.

I like that Notch eventually has a vision of "merging" SP and MP so the exist more holistically. So my world can be SP most of the time, but some specific friends can drop in / drop out and work on things with me. And I can do the same with them.

I would also love the option in "inviting" someone in a single player map. I'm sure it would be possible to connect P2P or something. Of course they would probably be a limit of 2-3 players at a time but that would already be enough for me.

BooJoh

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/57484791104278528

Looks like 1.5 could hit this week.

Ranger X said:
I would also love the option in "inviting" someone in a single player map. I'm sure it would be possible to connect P2P or something. Of course they would probably be a limit of 2-3 players at a time but that would already be enough for me.
This is what I'd like. I'm not really big on MMO gaming, so I haven't even played Minecraft multiplayer yet. I'd love to have a friend or two come into my single player world for a while though.

In a lot of ways I feel like I get the same thing from Minecraft that I get from Animal Crossing, but with more danger and customizability, and less NPC interaction.

-GOUKI-

Ferrio said:
Really proud of my new house design. THought I'd share

Backside
2nw3136.jpg

Front
2jcsi2f.jpg

Living Room
2egaf6q.jpg

Bedroom
aot6pv.jpg

Loft
ohpwzq.jpg

The roof, and the great wall (we have a giant adminium wall surrounding us, to keep the world very very small)
13z520l.jpg
what mods are you using?

Ranger X

BooJoh said:

In a lot of ways I feel like I get the same thing from Minecraft that I get from Animal Crossing, but with more danger and customizability, and less NPC interaction.

Great news!! It's really getting exciting.
And yeah I think there are parallels to be made between Minecraft and Animal Crossing while they are 2 different games they indeed share some aspects.

Foxix Von

I know this is a really stupid question but are there any plans for a retail release of this eventually?

I've become ludicrously paranoid about anything that's download only lol, that and I just realized I'll probably be too broke to afford this... well for the foreseeable couple of years or so haha. (yay school and no job)

Foxix Von

Ramma2 said:
Someone gift this bronie a copy. I would but I'm at karate. If you dont have it yet tonight I'll hook you up.

Oh dude don't worry about it it's all good, I'd feel sort of guilty if someone went out of their way to spend the money lol. The only reason I bugged Kalnos about it was since he had a spare key lying around. On the other hand now I feel like a moron for turning down free stuff haha.

Edit: Also, nice avatar.

ConvenientBox said:
I've got a problem that is really bugging me. I can host a server on my netbook no problem but when I try on my main pc, not one person can join. Both machines are running 64bit win 7, both have the latest java, and both have the right ports open.

The netbook isn't the best solution for the server as it's pretty slow, any ideas?
Do you have the ports correctly forwarded to the PC? Port forwarding is usually the step that I forget. :p

You can also try http://www.canyouseeme.org to make sure your port is visible to the outside world.

Jasoco

Banned
C418 is making bird and owl sounds for what it seems is Minecraft, or at least for the future. Birds would be awesome. I want SOMETHING up in the sky. Also, I hope the mine cart boosters and brakes are in either this or the next update. I have held off from making any kind of mine cart system because of a lack of a system. I hope to eventually use the booster tracks to make a perpetual tram system.

I'm also thinking of starting over once again when stats are included just to get an accurate count. Stupid OCD.

Vlad

Jasoco said:
C418 is making bird and owl sounds for what it seems is Minecraft, or at least for the future. Birds would be awesome. I want SOMETHING up in the sky. Also, I hope the mine cart boosters and brakes are in either this or the next update. I have held off from making any kind of mine cart system because of a lack of a system. I hope to eventually use the booster tracks to make a perpetual tram system.

I gotta say, there was a small amount of charm in the old/current minecart booster system. Sure, it was way overcomplicated, but there was a certain "Rube Goldberg"-esque satisfaction in making this insanely complicated knot of tracks, pressure plates, redstone, and perpetually moving carts actually work as a functioning train station. I'm not saying that I'm not anxiously looking forward to the official new booster implementation, but it's one of those things us old timers will be able to look back on and tell the new players about in a "you don't know how easy you have it" kind of way.

Still, I must say I love the direction that Mojang is going with Minecraft in relation to mods. First it was Betterlight, and now they're adding pistons and boosters, all from the modding community. They're nicely selective with what they incorporate, allowing Minecraft to retain its simplistic charm.

Minecarts are now working because of some bugs and north-south weird rules. If with this we can have real minecarts, being able to go up more than 1 block each 4 (to make base-to-mine transport), and go, when the rail is plain, much faster than running, it will be awesome. Even if you need huge amounts of redstone to power the rails. It's not like I'm using the redstone for something else.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ranger X said:

I think that's exactly what the plan is. I don't remember where I read it, but my understanding is that eventually there won't be single player maps & multiplayer maps. There will just be... maps. You can build on it solo, or with friends, or with the public, as you want.

Ranger X said:

You could just move your single player world over and create a server on your computer, that's what I did. Most of the time it's just me playing, but occasionally my friends pop in and build or just to look around.

Jasoco

Banned
Vlad said:
I gotta say, there was a small amount of charm in the old/current minecart booster system. Sure, it was way overcomplicated, but there was a certain "Rube Goldberg"-esque satisfaction in making this insanely complicated knot of tracks, pressure plates, redstone, and perpetually moving carts actually work as a functioning train station. I'm not saying that I'm not anxiously looking forward to the official new booster implementation, but it's one of those things us old timers will be able to look back on and tell the new players about in a "you don't know how easy you have it" kind of way.

Still, I must say I love the direction that Mojang is going with Minecraft in relation to mods. First it was Betterlight, and now they're adding pistons and boosters, all from the modding community. They're nicely selective with what they incorporate, allowing Minecraft to retain its simplistic charm.
I really really hope they use the Mk4 method that was posted. Booster track that boosts or brakes depending on the direction it is facing when you hit it. Powered is on. But I assume they'll figure out a perfect method.

Wool

Vlad said:

I know what you mean about the feeling of getting something working in this game. I was pretty proud just to get pressure plate activated double doors working with redstone, and I had that model that you made for me to look at. That's one of the things I have worried about is updates that make the game easier. I'm not at all opposed to the new minecart system they are going to put in, but some stuff people keep asking for like a mask so you can breath underwater would really wreck the game for me. You can't take away the challenge to survive.

On a different note, I was looking at seeds on the minecraft forum, and this one is the best I've seen so far: -9028489474908844496

Foxix Von

Ramma2 said:
Someone gift this bronie a copy. I would but I'm at karate. If you dont have it yet tonight I'll hook you up.

Thank you so much! I owe you big time man, BIG TIME. Like a bajillion pony avatars big time.

I'm trying to make an account right now. Which one of you guys took the username Foxix?

:mad:

rdelaney said:
I know what you mean about the feeling of getting something working in this game. I was pretty proud just to get pressure plate activated double doors working with redstone, and I had that model that you made for me to look at. That's one of the things I have worried about is updates that make the game easier. I'm not at all opposed to the new minecart system they are going to put in, but some stuff people keep asking for like a mask so you can breath underwater would really wreck the game for me. You can't take away the challenge to survive.

On a different note, I was looking at seeds on the minecraft forum, and this one is the best I've seen so far: -9028489474908844496
The fact is that the underwater portion of minecraft right now is empty. It should be filled with creatures....There should be reason to dive to the deepest depths.

Blizzard

Banned
rdelaney said:
I'm not at all opposed to the new minecart system they are going to put in, but some stuff people keep asking for like a mask so you can breath underwater would really wreck the game for me. You can't take away the challenge to survive.
Right now there is hardly anything underwater (one monster), no resources needed underwater, it's impossible to see underwater without netherrack and/or huge amounts of work, and you can only stay under for a few seconds. Why do you need challenge that does nothing but make water hard to navigate and makes building neat underwater structures far more difficult?

Furthermore, assuming that there was a reason besides ink/building to go underwater and a diving helmet and/or light became available, how would that take away the challenge to survive for you? You can simply not craft the helmet. The fact that there's a "peaceful" game mode doesn't take away the challenge of there being a hard mode that's presumably hard (I don't know if they ever fixed the problem where easy was harder than hard but maybe?). You can choose whether you play the game in peaceful mode, easy mode, hard mode, set personal challenges like never using a bed, mine all materials by hand, spawn thousands of blocks for yourself instead of mining them, etc.

That's something quite neat about it, in my opinion. It's a sandbox game in that you can actually choose what style and difficulty is enjoyable and rewarding to you. If you don't want a game that even gives you the option to make the game easier, then maybe you prefer non-sandbox playstyle. :)

Ranger X

For seed spammers and also people sticking to their seeds...
Sticking to my first seed has been an excellent decision for me and totally removed my thirst for trying others. No matter the seed you have, you're all bound to find the different biomes, epic caves everywhere and extraordinary landscapes with huge cliffs. Here's what I explored so far in my world and to show you how those megacliffs are frequents, I traced in red the zones where you get mountains that are epic and reaching at least cloud level. If I was to indicate by a red dot where are all the huge caves I found, you wouldn't know where to start. There would be dozens of them.

RangerZeroseed.jpg

And since we are at it, here's an aerial view of my settlement. You can see the cliffs almost circling around my land, fences bounding the rest of the terrain. You can spot my house on the lake with the reed plantation and wheat plantation nearby, the big gray building wich is my mob grinder and also my pyramid a little to the south. I can't stop taking care of this "ranch" as I call it and improving it. It's quite addictive.

MyRanch.jpg

:)

Belfast

Blizzard said:
Right now there is hardly anything underwater (one monster), no resources needed underwater, it's impossible to see underwater without netherrack and/or huge amounts of work, and you can only stay under for a few seconds. Why do you need challenge that does nothing but make water hard to navigate and makes building neat underwater structures far more difficult?

Furthermore, assuming that there was a reason besides ink/building to go underwater and a diving helmet and/or light became available, how would that take away the challenge to survive for you? You can simply not craft the helmet. The fact that there's a "peaceful" game mode doesn't take away the challenge of there being a hard mode that's presumably hard (I don't know if they ever fixed the problem where easy was harder than hard but maybe?). You can choose whether you play the game in peaceful mode, easy mode, hard mode, set personal challenges like never using a bed, mine all materials by hand, spawn thousands of blocks for yourself instead of mining them, etc.

That's something quite neat about it, in my opinion. It's a sandbox game in that you can actually choose what style and difficulty is enjoyable and rewarding to you. If you don't want a game that even gives you the option to make the game easier, then maybe you prefer non-sandbox playstyle. :)

I kind of like the idea that the Industrialcraft mod works with, myself. There's a looot of stuff to craft, but it's set up in tiers. The higher-level stuff is really useful, but you need to create a lot of resources to get to that point.

Another problems with Minecraft right now is that a lot of the resources feel nearly useless, but IC gives you some things to work towards. And while there are tools that can make things easier (a jetpack, for instance), you need to create fuel to run it, so there's always something to do.

Blizzard

Banned
Belfast said:
I kind of like the idea that the Industrialcraft mod works with, myself. There's a looot of stuff to craft, but it's set up in tiers. The higher-level stuff is really useful, but you need to create a lot of resources to get to that point.

Another problems with Minecraft right now is that a lot of the resources feel nearly useless, but IC gives you some things to work towards. And while there are tools that can make things easier (a jetpack, for instance), you need to create fuel to run it, so there's always something to do.
I understand, but you realize that a mod like Industrialcraft is laying out how the game/economy works for everyone? Some people like monsters, some people like crafting, some people like building without crafting, etc. If everyone were forced to use Industrialcraft then they wouldn't have a choice available if they wanted a different game experience.

But, it's a sandbox game and a moddable one at that, so people can choose to play Industrialcraft if they want those particular tiers, powers, and resource restrictions.

jambo

Night_Trekker said:
Is there any way I'm going to have the option to buy this through Steam at some point? Obviously buying through the official site would be safe since so many have done that already, but... I dunno. I don't want to give my credit card info to a site for a single game. Still seems sketchy.

1.8 million people have bought it, must be a pretty fucking epic scam.

Belfast

Blizzard said:
I understand, but you realize that a mod like Industrialcraft is laying out how the game/economy works for everyone? Some people like monsters, some people like crafting, some people like building without crafting, etc. If everyone were forced to use Industrialcraft then they wouldn't have a choice available if they wanted a different game experience.

But, it's a sandbox game and a moddable one at that, so people can choose to play Industrialcraft if they want those particular tiers, powers, and resource restrictions.

I prefer to think of it as upwardly expansive. It's not like IC prevents you from doing any of the most basic things in the game (or, really, any of the things we can do now). Rather, it is placed on top of that framework and just generally makes progress through crafting more complex and/or interesting. It does not place any extra steps in the way of creating the same stuff you can in the basic game, only all of the new technology that the mod, itself, introduces.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Would a free-roaming vehicle like a buggy or something be too high tech for minecraft? They have minecarts and pistons are coming. I'd like a way to cover more ground for exploring

Mirk

mrklaw said:
Would a free-roaming vehicle like a buggy or something be too high tech for minecraft? They have minecarts and pistons are coming. I'd like a way to cover more ground for exploring

There are some mods out that add a atv and a planes mod. I have a server set up for me and a few friends with the guns and planes mods installed and it has been a blast to play. :D

Planes Mod link

KillerAJD

Man, more people need to get on Mikor's and Exano's CCR Civil War server! It's running a lot smoother (not technically, just the flow is better) than a few days ago, so anybody who was scared off before should try it out again. It's getting to an awesome point and the two current factions are currently battling each other everyday :D There seems to be a huge battle at least once a day, lol. At this point, it just needs more players. It's fine with the ~10 of us that are on everyday, but there's stuff that could really open up with more people involved. Opening our own shops or creating another faction just really aren't feasible when everybody is working to get the current factions off the ground. Check out this post for the server info, and the wiki is here. Since it's a test, things get changed around a bit, but it's falling into a nice groove that even the newest guys seem to be able to fit right in. Here's some images of what's going on.

The CCRTown Train Station

The CCRTown Shops. You can buy and sell all sorts of things. This is also where you make your money by selling gold ingots.

My Skull :0

The MLP Pony...errr, yeah..

The Great Divide! Pretty much a big lava lake separating the two factions. Sorry for the chunk errors. It's pretty huge and can cause some graphical hiccups when you pass by it.

A Warp Gate/Wormhole! Let's you get around places instantly without having to walk or take a cart!

And finally, RukonGai's BIG ASS TREE! Seriously, this thing is huge, and he's been harvesting wood for it for the last week. And it's not made of planks, it's made of logs! Rukon is also the guy that made the giant hemi-sphere on Gafland.

Once I get some time, I definitely want to check out this factions thing y'all got going on. Since I've gotten my new computer, I've barely had any time to play :(

strata8

BooJoh said:

This is what I'd like. I'm not really big on MMO gaming, so I haven't even played Minecraft multiplayer yet. I'd love to have a friend or two come into my single player world for a while though.

I loved that game. They did the 6-in-the-morning atmosphere so well (yeah, many, many times).

Hmm ...

Got about 1000 pieces of track freed up now that I don't need the rail link from my base to my original spawn point, but can't think of a use for it all.

I've got plans for something about 2 miles away from my base, and was going to make a partly underwater / partly above ground rail link to it, but with all the talk of possible fly-able dragons and the upcoming new minecart system, I'm not sure whether I should start on it now or not bother with it at all.

Decisions decisions ....

Mikor

Just a heads-up to the guys playing on the CCRT Civil Wars server -

Going to be a bit of extended downtime with the BuyAbilities system, I'm going to overhaul it today. Watch this link for status updates as they come, I'll be using that to communicate status on it. I won't be rolling out this revamp until its working in a sandbox server locally, and ability/IC/portal/shop purchases wont be active until then. You can ask me or Exano if you want to buy abilities manually, but if we're tied up with making this work, we wont be able to respond to your request.

Thanks for your patience!

Jhriad

KillerAJD said:
Man, more people need to get on Mikor's and Exano's CCR Civil War server!

So I can get invested in working on another big project (or projects) to have the server disappear again in a few months? No thanks.

Ranger X

Barberetti said:
Hmm ...

Got about 1000 pieces of track freed up now that I don't need the rail link from my base to my original spawn point, but can't think of a use for it all.

I've got plans for something about 2 miles away from my base, and was going to make a partly underwater / partly above ground rail link to it, but with all the talk of possible fly-able dragons and the upcoming new minecart system, I'm not sure whether I should start on it now or not bother with it at all.

Decisions decisions ....

I would wait. I mean, Notch hinted that the update could be this week...

evilgreg

Neo Member
Jhriad said:
So I can get invested in working on another big project (or projects) to have the server disappear again in a few months? No thanks.
This.

I'm sticking with asscraft. Seems to be the most stable.

Xun

Dragons would be an interesting addition to the game.

I'm already excited for the new weather and minecart systems.

Vinci

Danish
Xun said:
Dragons would be an interesting addition to the game.

I'm already excited for the new weather and minecart systems.

Yes. Even though dragons are likely to massively screw over my sky rail system, I don't care - I'm looking forward to 'em.

Leunam

I'd rather Notch and Co. expand on the underwater environment, complete with diving suits.

Not that I'd ever explore it since I'm deathly terrified of underwater environments. Yes, even in videogames.

Leunam said:
I'd rather Notch and Co. expand on the underwater environment, complete with diving suits.

Not that I'd ever explore it since I'm deathly terrified of underwater environments. Yes, even in videogames.
Sky and underwater environments both need to be expanded.

I really hope they go all out with this stuff and don't just keep it barebones.

Top Bottom