• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ferrio

Banned
Chinner said:
power rails that either boost/stop the cart.

Where do you see that though? I've heard him talk about that ever since I started playing alpha... but there's no actual work being done on it now is there?

Grinchy

Banned
evilgreg said:
Asscraft just restarted. Lost 45 minutes of building/mining. Fuuuuuuuuuu
lol that happened to me once too

I swore I'd never play online again. Then I got back on about an hour and a half later.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Hmm, something was changed on Exano's server, I can't build gates anymore :(

Leunam

CoffeeJanitor said:
Sky and underwater environments both need to be expanded.

I really hope they go all out with this stuff and don't just keep it barebones.

Absolutely agreed, but at first glance it seems that underwater environments have more potential. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing all sorts of flying creatures. Maybe even flying mobs. D:

Also, there is a rainforest biome right? Pretty sure I remember seeing a huge forested section in one of my older worlds. Wonder if it's going to rain more when you're walking through one.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. Power rails will rock. So I wonder if it will brake the cart immediately or slow it down a notch. In other words, will there be multiple levels of speed or just one. Moving and not moving. And will they work in that they keep the cart moving the direction they were moving initially? Can't wait to find out.

Someone on the Minecraft forums just found the worst seed in the world.

If you fancy dying pretty-much immediately after spawning, over and over and over, then have fun!

YOU ARE THE MOB

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Mama Robotnik said:

If you fancy dying pretty-much immediately after spawning, over and over and over, then have fun!

YOU ARE THE MOB

I hope Minecraft world gen eventually grows to a point closer to Dwarf Fortress worldgen... with mobs specific to biomes, good/neutral/evil biomes, etc.

In that game I rolled a new world one time, and my initial party of dwarves was IMMEDIATELY accosted by a group of zombie gibbons, and torn limb from limb.

Edit: Which reminds me, people that see MC as "nearly finished" have no imagination. There is so, so much farther Mojang can take it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Mama Robotnik said:

YOU ARE THE MOB

Fuck, not even kidding, I'm gonna have nightmares like that :|

atre324

Jasoco said:
Yeah. Power rails will rock. So I wonder if it will brake the cart immediately or slow it down a notch. In other words, will there be multiple levels of speed or just one. Moving and not moving. And will they work in that they keep the cart moving the direction they were moving initially? Can't wait to find out.

I just wish there was a way to manually change the direction a powered minecart pushes, so you can fuel it up without worrying about it shooting away before you can hop in :(

Maybe I just don't understand how minecarts work though...

Ranger X

atre324 said:
I just wish there was a way to manually change the direction a powered minecart pushes, so you can fuel it up without worrying about it shooting away before you can hop in :(

Maybe I just don't understand how minecarts work though...

They should be made like the boat. You hop in and then you need to press foward to move. When you move it use fuel. You can't turn but you could go forward and backward.

Jasoco

Banned
Forget fuel. I want a self-sustaining system. With boosters we won't need the fuel ones anymore. All we'll need is a way to chain them so we can have a chain of carts with chests in them.

Xun

Mama Robotnik said:

YOU ARE THE MOB
Currently using that seed now whilst on peaceful.

There must be a way out somewhere...

Edit: I'm out!

Jasoco

Banned
Xun said:
Currently using that seed now whilst on peaceful.

There must be a way out somewhere...
There is. But it's hard. I wandered off in a direction to get away from the spider. Then eventually hit a wall. Then started digging up some gravel and used it to dig upwards. I came out on the surface under a cliff overhang at night so I couldn't even tell when I made it out until I looked around.

Didn't even die. The spider gave up the chase. I guess when I jumped into some water that was down there.

Grinchy

Banned
BooJoh said:
This is what I'd like. I'm not really big on MMO gaming, so I haven't even played Minecraft multiplayer yet. I'd love to have a friend or two come into my single player world for a while though.

In a lot of ways I feel like I get the same thing from Minecraft that I get from Animal Crossing, but with more danger and customizability, and less NPC interaction.
I don't know anything about Animal Crossing, but I used to be just like you. I only played in my single player world, where I had built and stored a lot of cool stuff. I didn't see the point of playing multiplayer at all.

After finally trying it out, I think I may no longer be able to play single player.

strata8

CoffeeJanitor said:
Sky and underwater environments both need to be expanded.

I really hope they go all out with this stuff and don't just keep it barebones.
Minecraft really just needs huge, impassable mountains that stetch high above the clouds. That would be so cool.

NotTarts said:
Minecraft really just needs huge, impassable mountains that stetch high above the clouds. That would be so cool.
An increase in the height and depth of Minecraft would be amazing. I'm not sure how easy that would be for them to implement, though.

And maybe I'm being paranoid/negative, but I'm really getting a bad vibe from Mojang with all these pointless updates. Reminds me of how Nintendo deals with online: they don't need to do it well to sell copies, so they don't do it. Here's to hoping Mojang doesn't mail it in and that it will expand the game.

Blizzard

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
An increase in the height and depth of Minecraft would be amazing. I'm not sure how easy that would be for them to implement, though.

And maybe I'm being paranoid/negative, but I'm really getting a bad vibe from Mojang with all these pointless updates. Reminds me of how Nintendo deals with online: they don't need to do it well to sell copies, so they don't do it. Here's to hoping Mojang doesn't mail it in and that it will expand the game.
All what pointless updates? I thought the game had not updated a lot recently.

They added pets (I think it's awesome and I'm not the only one), they're adding achievements and statistics for everyone (fun for some people, helps new people learn the game), fixing minecarts boosting/braking (people have been wanting this for a long time), and adding nice weather with some nice atmospheric details like monsters.

What's pointless about that stuff?

Blizzard said:
All what pointless updates? I thought the game had not updated a lot recently.

They added pets (I think it's awesome and I'm not the only one), they're adding achievements and statistics for everyone (fun for some people, helps new people learn the game), fixing minecarts boosting/braking (people have been wanting this for a long time), and adding nice weather with some nice atmospheric details like monsters.

What's pointless about that stuff?
Outside of minecarts and weather, which hasn't been released yet, all of that is fluff. True, it may be nice fluff, but none of it has really added to the core gameplay of minecraft. Adding mobs/doing pallet swaps of mobs should not take long and should not count as significant updates.

I was more talking about the different food items you can get, and a lot of the other pointless items (too many to list).

Luckily the game has a ton of potential, I just hope they deliver on it

Blizzard

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
Outside of minecarts and weather, which hasn't been released yet, all of that is fluff. True, it may be nice fluff, but none of it has really added to the core gameplay of minecraft.

I was more talking about the different food items you can get, and a lot of the other pointless items (too many to list).

Luckily the game has a ton of potential, I just hope they deliver on it
There are mods which apparently radically modify gameplay (nation battles, jetpacks, etc.), and Mojang is apparently working on making a good mod interface to encourage that sort of thing.

What core gameplay changes would help the game and not cause any problems? I understand you may want some big changes if you are getting bored, but I guess I am glad that they have not changed things so much that they ruin what certain players already liked (although some things did change, resulting in houses burning down).

Ranger X

Well, that's the bane of Minecraft, people will ALWAYS want more than what the updates will offer. You should all be glad that Mojang is not letting the game go for at least another year and understand that updating this game is in small increments. You will NOT see game changing update that often. Besides, the achievements are a game changing update imo. It's the first time that game will suggest a goal to a player in a total non-sandbox way.

^^I'm very happy with the updates. I just hope they continue them and don't just keep making tiny, tiny changes. The minecarts and piston mod look good though.

Blizzard said:
There are mods which apparently radically modify gameplay (nation battles, jetpacks, etc.), and Mojang is apparently working on making a good mod interface to encourage that sort of thing.

What core gameplay changes would help the game and not cause any problems?
More complex dungeon generation, more mobs (both underwater and in the sky), bigger mobs (think mini bosses), diving suit (see above), more height/depth (see above), vehicles, more/more effective weapons, natural disasters (should be toggleable), mob raids (think giant zombie army attacking your place every once in a blue moon), things to work towards.

That last bit can be figured out by Mojang. Not really talking about achievements here, I'm talking valuable items/abilities that you might get from doing certain things.

Just some ideas.

Blizzard

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
^^I'm very happy with the updates. I just hope they continue them and don't just keep making tiny, tiny changes. The minecarts and piston mod look good though.

More complex dungeon generation, more mobs (both underwater and in the sky), bigger mobs (think mini bosses), diving suit (see above), more height/depth (see above), vehicles, more/more effective weapons, natural disasters (should be toggleable), mob raids (think giant zombie army attacking your place every once in a blue moon), things to work towards.

That last bit can be figured out by Mojang. Not really talking about achievements here, I'm talking valuable items/abilities that you might get from doing certain things.

Just some ideas.
More mobs, the diving suit, height/depth, and weapons are just enhancements rather than complete game changers in my opinion. Toggleable natural disasters, maybe vehicles (just doesn't seem to fit the setting to have cars, but we'll see...there's supposed to be a bird/dragon to ride some day maybe), and mob raids/villages sound good to me. Notch had a bunch of things that he wanted to do including the mob village sort of thing, so maybe he'll get to it in a few years. :p

Blizzard said:
More mobs, the diving suit, height/depth, and weapons are just enhancements rather than complete game changers in my opinion. Toggleable natural disasters, maybe vehicles (just doesn't seem to fit the setting to have cars, but we'll see...there's supposed to be a bird/dragon to ride some day maybe), and mob raids/villages sound good to me. Notch had a bunch of things that he wanted to do including the mob village sort of thing, so maybe he'll get to it in a few years. :p
Yup...I'd really just like a tameable bird/DAGRON. Would be awesome.

Until then, I'll just keep building shelters into caves...

ZZMitch

Underwater does need to be more interesting though. As of right now, all there is is dirt and maybe sand down there! Bring back sponges at least! :p

Ranger X said:
DAGRONS are awesome indeed. :p
dagron.jpg

Grinchy said:
I don't know anything about Animal Crossing, but I used to be just like you. I only played in my single player world, where I had built and stored a lot of cool stuff. I didn't see the point of playing multiplayer at all.

After finally trying it out, I think I may no longer be able to play single player.

I'm the opposite. Once I could play multiplayer that's all my friends and I did. I didn't touch SP for months. Only now did I decide to create a new SP world to see what I was missing out on.

Atomski

ZZMitch said:
But what about coral reefs and little fish swimming around and maybe thermal springs in deeper water. And trenches and stuff. Would be so awesome!

If we had some sort of underwater breathing and a light source I'd be all for underwater caves.

Ranger X

I wouldn't put a lamp un the game unless it's a bit painful to craft and that you need to find/make fuel to keep it alive. If you don't balance this out, torches are useless.

Something like this:

Torches - easy to craft (material easy to find), need to be placed 1 by 1

Lamp - harder to craft (lots of material + need to craft fuel tks to even more hard to find material), can be carried around.

Only if there are advantages and inconvenients for each it would be a great update.

Ranger X said:
I wouldn't put a lamp un the game unless it's a bit painful to craft and that you need to find/make fuel to keep it alive. If you don't balance this out, torches are useless.

Something like this:

Torches - easy to craft (material easy to find), need to be placed 1 by 1

Lamp - harder to craft (lots of material + need to craft fuel tks to even more hard to find material), can be carried around.

Only if there are advantages and inconvenients for each it would be a great update.
Yeah, fuel would be a perfect balance. I recall Notch saying that he had tried this and didn't like how it worked though so we might not see this.

Ranger X said:

Not at all. Torches are used to make safe areas where monsters can't spawn. A lantern that you carried around would only be useful for visibility.

Ranger X

BobJustBob said:
Not at all. Torches are used to make safe areas where monsters can't spawn. A lantern that you carried around would only be useful for visibility.

Indeed but I wouldn't change my design idea because outside being in a cave, you need a truckload of torches to light up an area in order for no ennemies to spawn.
What I would do is keeping my torches/lamp design but would give the player another way to prevent ennemies from spawning. Maybe a new item or something.
Anyhow, I guess we can extrapolate on Minecraft's design pretty much into infinity...

Grinchy

Banned
Please tell me I'm not the only person who has owned this game for 6 months or longer without knowing you could burn wood blocks to create charcoal, which can be used in the exact same way as regular coal.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
Please tell me I'm not the only person who has owned this game for 6 months or longer without knowing you could burn wood blocks to create charcoal, which can be used in the exact same way as regular coal.

Well, I learned this right here on GAF. It's not been 6 month I own the game though. ;)

KPJZKC

Grinchy said:

You're not the only one :(
Can't believe I missed that

EDIT - it's only been in since 1.2 in January, that why I never noticed, haven't really been playing since then.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
KPJZKC said:
You're not the only one :(
Can't believe I missed that

EDIT - it's only been in since 1.2 in January, that why I never noticed, haven't really been playing since then.

Don't worry, I missed it too.
I'm hoping for something similar to create iron, not sure how would be fair.. perhaps smelting x number of cobblestone would produce one iron ingot?

IE, finding tiny bits of iron in cobblestone that normally gets tossed or not used, at the expense of the rock turning to dust.

Top Bottom