• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grinchy said:
Please tell me I'm not the only person who has owned this game for 6 months or longer without knowing you could burn wood blocks to create charcoal, which can be used in the exact same way as regular coal.

You're not the only one. Now I don't even bother looking for coal on day one, just punch a few more trees. I wish more mincraft YouTube guides wouldn't obsess about finding coal. Although maybe its a 'rites of passage' thing and later on you discover charcoal and your first nights are a little easier.
Tip - charcoal lasts a lot longer than wood, so as soon as you get your first charcoal, swap that to be the fuel to burn the rest of the wood

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
Indeed but I wouldn't change my design idea because outside being in a cave, you need a truckload of torches to light up an area in order for no ennemies to spawn.
What I would do is keeping my torches/lamp design but would give the player another way to prevent ennemies from spawning. Maybe a new item or something.
Anyhow, I guess we can extrapolate on Minecraft's design pretty much into infinity...

?
Lantern wouldn't change anything. As mentioned it'd only let you see more easily. Mobs won't spawn near you, even if its pitch black, so having a light source on you makes no difference. And they aren't repelled by light, so walking into a mob-infested area will still be dangerous.

I think a lantern or miners lamp could be fantastic. Especially if you are spelunking. The temptation might be to skip torches, meaning in larger caves, mobs may spawn behind you. And I think a movable lightsourcebcould be really atmospheric

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Grinchy said:
Please tell me I'm not the only person who has owned this game for 6 months or longer without knowing you could burn wood blocks to create charcoal, which can be used in the exact same way as regular coal.

mrklaw said:
You're not the only one. Now I don't even bother looking for coal on day one, just punch a few more trees. I wish more mincraft YouTube guides wouldn't obsess about finding coal. Although maybe its a 'rites of passage' thing and later on you discover charcoal and your first nights are a little easier.
Tip - charcoal lasts a lot longer than wood, so as soon as you get your first charcoal, swap that to be the fuel to burn the rest of the wood

Charcoal was only recently added. You didn't know about it (and many guides don't mention it) because it wasn't in the game, before. It was introduced specifically to avoid someone being screwed for not being able to find coal day 1.

CoffeeJanitor said:
An increase in the height and depth of Minecraft would be amazing. I'm not sure how easy that would be for them to implement, though.
Notch once talked about this and he said that the "simple" way of doing it would double CPU and ram usage, so he'd rather find a better solution.

CoffeeJanitor said:
An increase in the height and depth of Minecraft would be amazing. I'm not sure how easy that would be for them to implement, though.

Heigh should be easy to increase (but with memory cost), depth is a little more tricky, because that should mean to increase the heigh of the "sea level", and the heights that are used to define the mineral spawn should be tuned. Also, the existant maps won't be compatible, and should be ported or reseted.

Mikor

Jhriad said:
So I can get invested in working on another big project (or projects) to have the server disappear again in a few months? No thanks.

Ouch. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you outright troll us in a public forum like that. Would you care to foot the bill for the server costs and volunteer your time to maintaining it from griefers and other undesirables? If so, Exano and I would be more than happy to get you set up with the account that is being used to host GAFLand.

Our server is a public server, it is NOT GAF specific. There's no need to attack other GAFfers because you're bitter that a privately funded, privately hosted server isn't being offered to the public anymore because the host can't afford to continue to pay the hosting fees.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Heigh should be easy to increase (but with memory cost), depth is a little more tricky, because that should mean to increase the heigh of the "sea level", and the heights that are used to define the mineral spawn should be tuned. Also, the existant maps won't be compatible, and should be ported or reseted.

I think it's almost the same cost to expand in any direction. I would bet that the code is thought in a way that everything is blocks and then they are just changed/swapped. There's probably blocks of "air" if you know what I mean. They don't cost in matter of physics, texture or collision but I suppose they are there. Expanding the scope of the world would therefore still cost in speed (more blocks in total) and memory (mainly for blocks with a texture and col.) And yeah what you said is also true anyways, it would be pain, our worlds would not be compatible or resetted, etc. It's not worth it imo.

Ranger X said:
I think it's almost the same cost to expand in any direction. I would bet that the code is thought in a way that everything is blocks and then they are just changed/swapped. There's probably blocks of "air" if you know what I mean. They don't cost in matter of physics, texture or collision but I suppose they are there. Expanding the scope of the world would therefore still cost in speed (more blocks in total) and memory (mainly for blocks with a texture and col.) And yeah what you said is also true anyways, it would be pain, our worlds would not be compatible or resetted, etc. It's not worth it imo.

Yeah, memory cost is for height or depth increase, it doesn't matter. Increasing in depth probably would affect speed (more enemies and other things to update or check visibility).

IceMarker

So how many people on on GAF played Minecraft in the days of Indev and Infdev? People like me are the truest of MC fans. ;)

The reason I bring this up is because there is one feature that hasn't been re-introduced into Minecraft since Indev and that's terrain generation options, you were able to build Hell worlds, floating islands, floating island Hell, dense forests, etc. just with the click of a button, it's too bad only the default option is used today.

Jhriad

Mikor said:
Would you care to foot the bill for the server costs and volunteer your time to maintaining it from griefers and other undesirables?

My roommate and I have both offered to donate money to Exano as well as previous hosts (Touch & Spot) at various points. I was also a mod on Touch's server and, for a while, Spot's server to help people with any issues they might have in addition to help give the boot to griefers. If any server I spend quite a bit of time on needs help in any way I'm always more than willing to help in any manner I can. Heck, my roommate and I helped work out the map issues Exano was having and my roomie even hosted them for public use.

The post you quoted was less directed at your server(s) and more at Minecraft multiplayer in general the past year or so. It sometimes seems like servers die out with a frequency that makes fruit flies look long lived. Populations fall the longer it has been since the last patch and, as we all are aware, being an admin/mod for anything like a multiplayer server can be particularly draining over time so some turnover is to be expected. Either of which could mean a further decline of the server or its demise entirely.

Maybe it's that I've become too used to the publisher hosted servers that are for all intents and purposes permanent but the transient lifestyle of a Minecraft player is starting to grate on me. Going into a server knowing full well that within matter of weeks my work could be lost to the ether is making me rethink bothering to do anything at all.

I think far too many servers are the work of single individuals which places the load of maintaining and serving their userbase all on the shoulders of that one person. When the load gets to be too much or something unforeseen happens and that individual has to take time away from the game the server is left to it's own devices and the players simply move on or quit altogether.

tl;dr I can be a grumpy bitch sometimes and MC SMP needs more group efforts to run servers to ensure their health for the future.

ZZMitch said:
Notch says 1.5 was delayed because they didn't finish testing a "feature creep".

Are they talking dragons or something?
The powered rails he talks about in the blog post weren't originally planned for this update, so it's probably that.

Ranger X said:
That would be a permanent increase, though. I think a change would certainly be worth it in the long run.

ZZMitch said:
Notch says 1.5 was delayed because they didn't finish testing a "feature creep".

Are they talking dragons or something?

No he means it's delayed due to feature creep, a.k.a. lots of new things being implemented such as booster rails, detector rails, etc.

Vlad

Jhriad said:
My roommate and I have both offered to donate money to Exano as well as previous hosts (Touch & Spot) at various points. I was also a mod on Touch's server and, for a while, Spot's server to help people with any issues they might have in addition to help give the boot to griefers. If any server I spend quite a bit of time on needs help in any way I'm always more than willing to help in any manner I can. Heck, my roommate and I helped work out the map issues Exano was having and my roomie even hosted them for public use.

The post you quoted was less directed at your server(s) and more at Minecraft multiplayer in general the past year or so. It sometimes seems like servers die out with a frequency that makes fruit flies look long lived. Populations fall the longer it has been since the last patch and, as we all are aware, being an admin/mod for anything like a multiplayer server can be particularly draining over time so some turnover is to be expected. Either of which could mean a further decline of the server or its demise entirely.

Maybe it's that I've become too used to the publisher hosted servers that are for all intents and purposes permanent but the transient lifestyle of a Minecraft player is starting to grate on me. Going into a server knowing full well that within matter of weeks my work could be lost to the ether is making me rethink bothering to do anything at all.

I think far too many servers are the work of single individuals which places the load of maintaining and serving their userbase all on the shoulders of that one person. When the load gets to be too much or something unforeseen happens and that individual has to take time away from the game the server is left to it's own devices and the players simply move on or quit altogether.

tl;dr I can be a grumpy bitch sometimes and MC SMP needs more group efforts to run servers to ensure their health for the future.

I know exactly how you feel. Honestly, I'm surprised you stuck around after losing all that work on the Acropolis. Some built-in way to copy chunks from multiplayer worlds to single-player ones would provide a nice way to archive stuff, but yeah, in general you kind of just have to get used to the idea of things being transient. Think of it like making snowmen or sandcastles.

Still, I'd highly recommend the factions server. I was honestly about to take a break from MC after finishing my tower on Exano's server, since I was kind of sick of building stuff, didn't really have any ideas for anything new, and was generally getting tired of MC in general. While all the kinks aren't ironed out yet in terms of balance and such, the pvp aspect definitely gives the game a nice little spice that it didn't have before. While one faction definitely seems to be building with an eye for buildings being pretty, there's more of a focus on building for functionality (good defensive walls, etc).

So I started a new world a few days ago. Last night I was doing some serious mining and I had a load of like 20 iron ore on me, and 5 diamonds when I accidentally delved to deep and fell in lava. Man does that suck.

ZZMitch

Treefingers said:
No he means it's delayed due to feature creep, a.k.a. lots of new things being implemented such as booster rails, detector rails, etc.

Ooh, I guess I misinterpreted it, thought he meant creep as in a new mob or something, my bad!

bengraven

God, track boosters are going to solve soooooooo many problems. No more MCM in Single player...no more waiting for the server to update to get powered tracks in Multiplayer.

I don't know why it took them this long to realize it was an issue.

I paid attention to some tweets, and it seems that the boosters will be made with gold, so start saving it.

War904 said:
What if instead of a booster glitch you have "golden" tracks that boost you when you go over it? Craft it with gold, not iron.
War904 said:
@jeb_ Is the rail booster my golden track idea? If it is, awesome!
jeb_ said:
@War904 Yep, it's golden!

Ranger X

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
So I started a new world a few days ago. Last night I was doing some serious mining and I had a load of like 20 iron ore on me, and 5 diamonds when I accidentally delved to deep and fell in lava. Man does that suck.

Well, this happens to everyone at least once. This teaches us how to mine safely. ;)
Believe me it never happend twice for me and it never will.

DangerousDave said:
I paid attention to some tweets, and it seems that the boosters will be made with gold, so start saving it.

Oh snap! Nice. They need to valorise those materials I am not using much (like Gold!)

Ranger X said:
Well, this happens to everyone at least once. This teaches us how to mine safely. ;)
Believe me it never happend twice for me and it never will.

Oh snap! Nice. They need to valorise those materials I am not using much (like Gold!)

That's what I said last summer when I first started playing -_-

Ranger X

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
That's what I said last summer when I first started playing -_-

How did it happen anyways? You mine under you or over you? You can't fall into lava while mining unless you go forward by accident. You punched the block right beside your face on the wall and there was lava on the other side? 'Cause here again I am pretty sure you have time to back from the wall before the lava starts flowing...

Jasoco

Banned
Treefingers said:
Yeah. They're putting a lot of shit in there. Besides, it's too soon for an update. Let them put the stuff in first then release it when it's ready, then start working on the next batch of features.

Ranger X said:
How did it happen anyways? You mine under you or over you? You can't fall into lava while mining unless you go forward by accident. You punched the block right beside your face on the wall and there was lava on the other side? 'Cause here again I am pretty sure you have time to back from the wall before the lava starts flowing...

I died yesterday because there was a lava block below the block that i was minning. So i was minning and going forward and the camera was not focusing the block below the one that I was minning, so I felt into it.

But I didn't lose anything important because i was able to jump out from the lava, and I got kill by the fire.

Salaadin

I have a bad (or maybe good) habit of always holding shift whenever I mine so I cant fall off the edge. It gets kind of annoying.

Leunam

Holding shift actually prevents you from falling of edges? I thought it just made it easier to creep up to them and look down. :O

Salaadin

Leunam said:
Holding shift actually prevents you from falling of edges? I thought it just made it easier to creep up to them and look down. :O

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Sneaking

-The character moves slower. Moving diagonally will allow the player to move slightly faster, but not at full speed.
-The character appears to be bending over.
-The character bends down one-eighth of a block. This can be viewed using F5.
-No sound is made when sneaking.
-Players cannot fall off ledges.
-Stairs and steps cannot be walked up but can be walked down.
-Players cannot sneak from Soul Sand and Cacti to any other material at the same level.
-Crops won't be trampled.
-The camera angle slightly lowers.
-Other players in Survival Multiplayer cannot see your name through walls.
-In SMP your name will be slighty darker than normal.
-As of Beta 1.4, you will remain stationary on ladders.
-Many players, especially on Multiplayer servers, use Sneaking as a Minecraft form of -'Teabagging'.This can be achieved by rapidly pressing the sneaking key and is normally performed on killed mobs (even though they vanish).

And lol @ teabagging. In minecraft? Really?

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
I died yesterday because there was a lava block below the block that i was minning. So i was minning and going forward and the camera was not focusing the block below the one that I was minning, so I felt into it.

But I didn't lose anything important because i was able to jump out from the lava, and I got kill by the fire.

Holding forward while mining is indeed the second "no-no" in importance after "don't dig over or under you". :p

Leunam said:
Awesome, completely missed that. Now I can navigate the mine under my offshore rig without worrying about falls.

Also, when sneaking you can move to the edge of a block, turn around and you will have the perfect angle to place another block. Makes the task easy when building bridges!

Ranger X said:
Holding forward while mining is indeed the second "no-no" in importance after "don't dig over or under you". :p

No, i was not holding forward, but when I mined the block i went forward without looking down. I just added a torch, so I didn't saw any change on light.

Leunam

Ranger X said:
Also, when sneaking you can move to the edge of a block, turn around and you will have the perfect angle to place another block. Makes the task easy when building bridges!

That's exactly what I used shift for, but I didn't realize it would stop me at the edge, I always just got out as far as I dared to.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
No, i was not holding forward, but when I mined the block i went forward without looking down. I just added a torch, so I didn't saw any change on light.

ha ok, gotcha. Yeah that's sucks. :/
At least you got out.

Jhriad

Mikor said:
It's quite understandable, I'm sorry for reacting the way I did, as I took that as a personal attack.

No worries. I'm a big grump sometimes and I know that it can look like I'm being grumpy at someone in particular (sometimes I am heh) so I wanted to clarify. Just know that it wasn't meant to be directed at you guys. I love you guys. ::wink:: Seriously anyone fomenting a sense of community for a game deserves a pat on the back... and a beer. :)

Dammit, just had my first major death and item loss on Exano's server. In my quest to find a decent unexplored cave system and diamonds I had to venture quite far away. I ended up jumping down into a room not realising there was a zombie mob spawner. Stupidly, I decided that destroying it would be a viable route only to be jumped by 2 zombies at once whilst hacking away at the spawner.

I battled in vain and managed to kill them both, but then another one had promptly spawed and took a swipe at me before I could select any pork chops. I lost a load of iron tools, full set of armour and a few stacks of sandstone and clay blocks. Not to mention a load of extra iron ore that I'd been collectiong on the journey.

Ah well, back to the resource grind again, I've had enough adventuring for one day!

Grinchy

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
HOLY SHIT. I DID NOT know you could go 3rd person

I always knew you could, but never realized how until just now. I also never realized you could turn off the HUD. I should really start trying out the F1-F9 buttons more often.

@evilgregg I can't get on Asscraft right now either. You are not alone...although since you can't get on the server and have to play by yourself I guess you technically are alone....and so am I :(

Sorry what is the GAF main server? My main server is becoming quite inactive and I want to create in an active community.

Edit: Logged into GAFland. Anyone on?

Edit2: I just tried logging into asscraft and no luck? It times out everytime. I used link in OP.

Top Bottom