• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X said:
How did it happen anyways? You mine under you or over you? You can't fall into lava while mining unless you go forward by accident. You punched the block right beside your face on the wall and there was lava on the other side? 'Cause here again I am pretty sure you have time to back from the wall before the lava starts flowing...

Essentially I was half paying attention and holding W while holding the mouse button down. I do it sometimes when I'm just doing flat out strip mining/branch mining. Broke the block in front of me, exposed the lava under it, and walked right into it. It sucked. This game punishes the careless, and not unlike Demon's Souls, it's not unfair about it.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Essentially I was half paying attention and holding W while holding the mouse button down. I do it sometimes when I'm just doing flat out strip mining/branch mining. Broke the block in front of me, exposed the lava under it, and walked right into it. It sucked. This game punishes the careless, and not unlike Demon's Souls, it's not unfair about it.

Do you play on ASSCRAFT? I can't seem to connect.

Wool

I didn't make this, but as a fan of reddit, The Twins, and Minecraft, I had to post it here.

wOj8v.png

rdelaney said:
I didn't make this, but as a fan of reddit, The Twins, and Minecraft, I had to post it here.

http://i.imgur.com/wOj8v.png[IMG][/QUOTE]the only thing that's missing is the clutch hitting

well, that's always missing

Grinchy

Banned
I'm sad about Asscraft, so I decided to express my emotions like a real man. I made a collage.

QDfDL.png

ok it's a pretty sad collage, and not in the punny way, since it only consists of 5 pictures. What can I say? I got bored of copying, pasting, and resizing pictures of people crying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gold seems odd for minevart tracks. Redstone is the acknowledged power source in minecraft, so why nit just use that? Maybe a two stage craft eg make tracks, then craft tracks plus Redstone to make powered ones? Gold is too rare to be used as a mechanical device IMO. Yes it needs more practical uses, but tracks is the wrong place

ad an aside, I'd like a way to mine Stone. Having to smelt tons of cobble gets dull pretty quickly. Maybe if you mined cobble with a diamond pick it'd stay as Stone, because it gives you a cleaner cut? Or a special pick of some other kind

evilgreg

Neo Member
Grinchy said:
I'm sad about Asscraft, so I decided to express my emotions like a real man. I made a collage.

QDfDL.png

ok it's a pretty sad collage, and not in the punny way, since it only consists of 5 pictures. What can I say? I got bored of copying, pasting, and resizing pictures of people crying.
Who runs the server? We need an update as to what's causing the outage. If that server is dead, I'm honestly done with multiplayer servers. Just spent the past week constructing the most awesome underwater base and started making it pretty.

Asscraft - please come back to us...PLEASE

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Would it be possible for someone hosting a multiplayer server that - if they plan to stop - they can upload the map and others can download it, either to rehost or just play in singleplayer somehow? So people don't lose the things they've spent time building.

Xun

mrklaw said:
Would it be possible for someone hosting a multiplayer server that - if they plan to stop - they can upload the map and others can download it, either to rehost or just play in singleplayer somehow? So people don't lose the things they've spent time building.
Yeah, that's happened on some of the past servers if I recall correctly.

Mikor

mrklaw said:

I don't know why Exano's GAFLand has yet to be uploaded. I'll get the login info from him today so the most recent backup world file that can be accessed will be uploaded, today.

Grinchy

Banned
evilgreg said:
Who runs the server? We need an update as to what's causing the outage. If that server is dead, I'm honestly done with multiplayer servers. Just spent the past week constructing the most awesome underwater base and started making it pretty.

Asscraft - please come back to us...PLEASE
It's animlboogy's server. He's always really fast about updating and stuff so I'm sure this is just a fluke.

It probably went down and he just hasn't been to the forum or anything to have noticed. If I had to guess, I think he has a Fabergé egg addiction, and he's been out all night trying to score the Coronation Egg.

(on a side note, I swear I knew nothing about Fabergé eggs before this post! And PS - when it comes back online I need to see this underwater base)

Atomski

Ranger X said:
Man is this thread quiet all of a sudden. You guys are all silently crying there's no update?
:p

The Valve ARG has torn me away from Minecraft.. I'm pretty sure I wont be back till I am burnt out on Portal 2. :p

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
Man is this thread quiet all of a sudden. You guys are all silently crying there's no update?
:p
For me, Asscraft being down = no Minecraft.

I can't believe I've gotten to this point. I used to have no idea why people would play this game online. Now I can't play it offline.

KillerAJD

Pandaman said:
good, he can make lapuzi alittle more common. >_>

what you got against blue based dyes, mojang?
If this is Pandacraft, I have like two and a half stacks in my chest in my place. Go ahead and take them.

Blizzard

Banned
Ooh, 1.5 is apparently going to include an option for occlusion culling, which as far as I understand means not rendering some polygons that are hidden. I wonder if there will be a significant performance boost!

Ranger X

Blizzard said:
Ooh, 1.5 is apparently going to include an option for occlusion culling, which as far as I understand means not rendering some polygons that are hidden. I wonder if there will be a significant performance boost!

Source?
This would be GREAT news!!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Blizzard said:
That's what this game needs the most right now.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
KillerAJD said:
If this is Pandacraft, I have like two and a half stacks in my chest in my place. Go ahead and take them.
yea its me.

my router issues disappeared when i stopped trying to run minecraft, which is somewhat worrisome.

ill be back to trying to fix it after NASL. :p

Timan

Developer
Well if anyone has any suggestions on a different minecraft host. (us based)

Our current one has just been an utter pain in the arse this month. Its been down prob half the week so far, and the support isn't that helpful.

Blizzard said:

I seriously hope so, as the last time the game ran well on my machine without crashing it was after the Halloween update.

Blizzard

Banned
Ranger X said:
Source?
This would be GREAT news!!
Notch on Twitter said:
# Herobrine is still not real, and I added an option to 1.5 to turn on occlusion culling. Most computers can handle it, and it helps a lot.

about 6 hours ago via web

I hope they still keep up the work on a good mod framework as well, since I don't think I've heard news about that lately.

Mikor

Folks who've frequented Exano's GAFLand will be pleased to learn that the world file will be made available as of tomorrow for a limited time. Just PM Exano or myself starting tomorrow for the download link.

We'd love to have more GAFfers hopping on and checking out our server, by the way. Former GAFLanders who are interested in playing semi-regularly on Civil Wars can request 1 structure of their choice, which will be placed into Civil Wars as a hidden easter egg! I've put a lot of work into this server, so don't expect it to just rapidly fade into obscurity like the other servers hosted by GAFfers so far.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Timan said:
Well if anyone has any suggestions on a different minecraft host. (us based)

Our current one has just been an utter pain in the arse this month. Its been down prob half the week so far, and the support isn't that helpful.

Who are you using now?

The only one I know of is Servercraft

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Mikor said:
Folks who've frequented Exano's GAFLand will be pleased to learn that the world file will be made available as of tomorrow for a limited time. Just PM Exano or myself starting tomorrow for the download link.

We'd love to have more GAFfers hopping on and checking out our server, by the way. Former GAFLanders who are interested in playing semi-regularly on Civil Wars can request 1 structure of their choice, which will be placed into Civil Wars as a hidden easter egg! I've put a lot of work into this server, so don't expect it to just rapidly fade into obscurity like the other servers hosted by GAFfers so far.

What is going on with gafland anyway?
is it being retired hence why you are going to giving out a download link?

Mik2121

We should have a server that hosts the people from Exano and Asscraft!. And open it once 1.5 goes live. But we would need some rules to build stuff nicely, not just random giant buildings one next to each other (but rather like Asscraft, with themed towns here and there).

KillerAJD

Mik2121 said:
We should have a server that hosts the people from Exano and Asscraft!. And open it once 1.5 goes live. But we would need some rules to build stuff nicely, not just random giant buildings one next to each other (but rather like Asscraft, with themed towns here and there).
In the Civil Wars server, I'm already kinda dictating building sites. I feel like an ass doing it, but we've tried to keep (at least the AOF Faction) the area laid out nicely. We still have huge structures (Rukongai's gigantic freakin' tree), but the rest of the town is laid out in a grid pattern for the most part. Plus, those ideals will hopefully move onto a 3rd faction whenever one is created. It helps there is a dedicated central location that seems to restore a bit of order to the world.

KillerAJD said:
In the Civil Wars server, I'm already kinda dictating building sites. I feel like an ass doing it, but we've tried to keep (at least the AOF Faction) the area laid out nicely. We still have huge structures (Rukongai's gigantic freakin' tree), but the rest of the town is laid out in a grid pattern for the most part. Plus, those ideals will hopefully move onto a 3rd faction whenever one is created. It helps there is a dedicated central location that seems to restore a bit of order to the world.

Can you explain more how the civil wars server works?

Mik2121

KillerAJD said:
As the guy above me said, could you explain a bit more of this Civil Wars server? Is it vanilla Minecraft?

Mikor

Suikoguy said:
What is going on with gafland anyway?
is it being retired hence why you are going to giving out a download link?

I really can't speak for Exano, but the understanding I have from him at the moment is that he will no longer be hosting GAFland, hence why the upload of the world file being made available shortly (after this long upload, its almost half a gig!)

Civil Wars will be run full time by myself and Exano, along with any volunteer moderation staff we find. You can find more information about the server at our wiki,

ccrtminecraft.wikidot.com

I think its a great fit for the GAF community, as the crazy amalgamation of mods that we've gotten to play with one another has led to a very interesting spin on what Minecraft is all about. Definetly a great change of pace if you've been playing Minecraft non-stop for a long time now and want to see just how flexible it can be. We've got a fully player-run economy, character persistence with a fully skill-based progression system (for example, the Mining skill gives you a chance to get double drops from stone and ore blocks!), a factions-based PvP system where groups wage war over land, perform diplomacy, etc, and lots more features. The more people we can get on the server beating the hell out of it and finding flaws in our systems, the cleaner and more complete of a server we'll have when its ready!

KillerAJD

Mik2121 said:
As the guy above me said, could you explain a bit more of this Civil Wars server? Is it vanilla Minecraft?
Well, first of all, it is NOT vanilla Minecraft. If you want to just come in, mine a bit of resources (or even spawn them in) and build some structures, this is probably not the server for you. If you want to have a bit of challenge in finding, mining, and keeping resources, which in turn helps out your fellow faction members to then gain power to destroy the other guys...well, then we're talkin'. At least with AOF, there's still a quite a bit of making things look pretty, but the meat and potatoes are gaining power, leveling up skills (mining, swords, archery, acrobatics, etc.), and killing the other faction.
Once more people join up, it will probably switch to a much more economy driven game. Atm, everybody has their own bank, and you gain coin by turning in gold ingots. With coin, you can then spend it on various goods, armor, weapons, blocks, etc. You can even open up your own shop once you get enough money, which lets you sell anything you want (except gold, that's a CCRTown only thing).

Anyways, I'm rambling now, so check out the Wiki for heaps more info. Definitely hop on to check it out though. Short version is: If you want a bit more RPG and MMO in your Minecraft, come stay awhile, and listen.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, I'm jumping in the Civil Wars server. Never played this online and only thing I know how to do on Minecraft is dig a hole and keep digging that hole, so hopefully I will be useful gathering resources for whatever faction I'm in.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Sblargh said:
Ok, I'm jumping in the Civil Wars server. Never played this online and only thing I know how to do on Minecraft is dig a hole and keep digging that hole, so hopefully I will be useful gathering resources for whatever faction I'm in.
fair warning, the first spawn can be... rough.

Mikor said:
I really can't speak for Exano, but the understanding I have from him at the moment is that he will no longer be hosting GAFland, hence why the upload of the world file being made available shortly (after this long upload, its almost half a gig!)

Civil Wars will be run full time by myself and Exano, along with any volunteer moderation staff we find. You can find more information about the server at our wiki,

ccrtminecraft.wikidot.com

I think its a great fit for the GAF community, as the crazy amalgamation of mods that we've gotten to play with one another has led to a very interesting spin on what Minecraft is all about. Definetly a great change of pace if you've been playing Minecraft non-stop for a long time now and want to see just how flexible it can be. We've got a fully player-run economy, character persistence with a fully skill-based progression system (for example, the Mining skill gives you a chance to get double drops from stone and ore blocks!), a factions-based PvP system where groups wage war over land, perform diplomacy, etc, and lots more features. The more people we can get on the server beating the hell out of it and finding flaws in our systems, the cleaner and more complete of a server we'll have when its ready!

Except when it crashes just as I get into it. :p

Mikor

The_Inquisitor said:
Except when it crashes just as I get into it. :p

/me points to "Beta" status

Pandaman said:
fair warning, the first spawn can be... rough.

I fixed that for now! It's still a bit disorientating but you're not drowning as your baptism into the Wars anymore lol

Mikor said:
/me points to "Beta" status

I fixed that for now! It's still a bit disorientating but you're not drowning as your baptism into the Wars anymore lol

Is it coming back within next 15 or so? I don't care just need to go to bed if it's a long fix. :)

Mikor

The_Inquisitor said:
Is it coming back within next 15 or so? I don't care just need to go to bed if it's a long fix. :)

It never went down in the first place though...

relaunch minecraft and try reconnecting?

KillerAJD

Mikor said:
It never went down in the first place though...

relaunch minecraft and try reconnecting?
Yeah, I had a few connection issues a half an hour ago or so. It would connect, then dc, then when I tried to reconnect, it would hang. Nobody else seemed to be affected though (although 2 other people left once I got in, so maybe they dc'ed as well?), so it may have been on my end.

LordAlu

Just to ask, what mods / graphical changes and so on are you all using, and for what reason? I'm currently just playing with vanilla settings, but all the different mods and options intrigue me and I'd like to know what people use and why they like it :)

Qwomo

The definitive texture pack is any permutation of Doku/GeruDoku. As for mods, I usually don't bother because they're a hassle, but Single Player Commands is immensely useful.

You won't be able to climb ladders with gaps, in 1.5. But the recipe of ladders will give 2 instead of one.

I'll have to redo the ladders of my mine, or I'll get trapped inside.

BooJoh

Most of the texture packs I've used are either too dark or just too different and I can't get used to them. But once I started using Frenden's I couldn't see switching to anything else. I think the brighter and more simplistic textures really fit well with the world, and nothing is obnoxious or too dark.

Top Bottom