• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

evilgreg

Neo Member
animlboogy said:
ASSCRAFT UPDATE:

Basically, I have no idea what's going on. I'm restarting, and it says the server is working, but I was only able to connect this morning. I'm trying to get this sorted. I'm going to get some time off work next week, so I need it up so I can actually play a little!

I'm thinking the issue must be something with McMyAdmin, so if an update gets pushed, I will get that going as soon as possible.

Just now I tried to restart, and the wrapper just lingered on a "waiting to restart" message. Something is seriously wrong.

Anyway, no fears for you guys. If the server goes down, it will be because I'm not paying for it, or servercraft.co has stopped providing services. I don't think either will happen anytime soon, and if they do, I would do my best to transition to a new server for everybody.

It's a huge server now, and it has been around through many updates including some before GAF was invited. I hope the map size isn't an issue...

As for the map render, I have a couple, and they're fucking huge. They got too big for tumblr a couple months ago, and now they're too big for mediafire. I will get an alt up soon. As always, my excuse is that I'm working way past full-time, so I'm either out when it's late, or at home sleeping and taking care of my dog. Hence my lack of appearances on the server!

Hopefully I'll get this sorted and I'll see some of you on there tomorrow morning. Right now I'm having a post-work beer before heading out.
Thanks for the update, glad to hear the server isn't dead!

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
You won't be able to climb ladders with gaps, in 1.5. But the recipe of ladders will give 2 instead of one.

I'll have to redo the ladders of my mine, or I'll get trapped inside.

oh shit, thanks to myself for being picky with the looks and therefore was always doing "full" ladders!!

Mikor

LordAlu said:
Just to ask, what mods / graphical changes and so on are you all using, and for what reason? I'm currently just playing with vanilla settings, but all the different mods and options intrigue me and I'd like to know what people use and why they like it :)

Please consult the wiki under the "Credits" page for details on which server-side modifications are being used. If you are unfamiliar with Bukkit & its modifications, you'd probably be best served just coming on the server and seeing what its all about.

There are no client-side modifications necessary to play on our server, all the gameplay features are integrated right in through text commands or world interactions.

LordAlu

I've picked up the GeruDoku texture pack and a minimap and I'm quite happy now. The map is especially useful.

Civil Wars sounds incredible, I may give that a try. I don't usually do much building but I like to look around at what people have made so I will pop onto the Asscraft server to see what GAFfers have been upto :)

Edit: Whoa, Asscraft is massive! I spawned in what looked like a town, and I noticed some rail tracks outside and even a greenhouse? I'm lost just wandering around! Are people just building what they want or is there some collaboration going on with some big stuff? :D

Mikor said:
I really can't speak for Exano, but the understanding I have from him at the moment is that he will no longer be hosting GAFland, hence why the upload of the world file being made available shortly (after this long upload, its almost half a gig!)
Well, I guess I'm taking quite a long break from minecraft then. All those projects I was working on are now worthless.

I think some people may be pissed off by this:

Notch@Twitter said:
You know how you can climb ladders with gaps? Yeah, not in 1.5.
Personally, I think it's a great addition. I've always hated the look of ladders with missing steps and thankfully people now have to make them properly.

Ranger X

OgTheClever said:
I think some people may be pissed of be this:
Personally, I think it's a great addition. I've always hated the look of ladders with missing steps and thankfully people now have to make them properly.

Yeah, I agree. I always perceived this as a bug/glitch so it's good to straight this up.

OgTheClever said:
I think some people may be pissed of be this:

I better go gather some wood, haha. This isn't really that huge a deal to me. I was just too lazy before.

Jhriad

Anyone else having issues connecting to the Civil War server right now?

Giving me:

Failed to connect to the server.

Connection Refused:connect

Sofo

Qwomo said:
The definitive texture pack is any permutation of Doku/GeruDoku. As for mods, I usually don't bother because they're a hassle, but Single Player Commands is immensely useful.
So true, I've been using it for a while, since I can't still play well on Exano's (can't make lifts still!), I'm using my time making a single player world full of pixel art, I'll post pics!

KillerAJD

Dark Phoenix said:
Well, I guess I'm taking quite a long break from minecraft then. All those projects I was working on are now worthless.
As Mikor has said before, the world file will be uploaded, so you could technically still mess around with it offline, or even host it yourself. Also, if you join the Civil Wars server, Mikor will take one of your creations and put it in the Civil Wars server as an easter egg.

Jhriad said:
Anyone else having issues connecting to the Civil War server right now?

Giving me:

Failed to connect to the server.

Connection Refused:connect
Yeah, the server is offline for a few minutes. Mikor is trying to get the Borderguard to work. It sent a few of us into the lava lake a couple times, lol.

BooJoh said:
Most of the texture packs I've used are either too dark or just too different and I can't get used to them. But once I started using Frenden's I couldn't see switching to anything else. I think the brighter and more simplistic textures really fit well with the world, and nothing is obnoxious or too dark.
Yeah, I've been using Frenden's exclusively for awhile now. Anything else and the environment looks way too dark to distinguish anything. I really wish Minecraft had a gamma slider, because it needs to be cranked up a bit I think. It doesn't help I'm always playing in a sunny room though.

Does Minecraft have a memory problem or something?

After I play Minecraft my computer seems to lag like crazy. On days I don't play Minecraft, it runs absolutely fine.

I played TF2 this morning and it ran nice and smooth with no issues. After playing Minecraft, TF2 lags, takes forever to load and is jerky and basically unplayable.
I have replicated this problem several times and I'm positive it's Minecraft doing it.

OgTheClever said:
Try going into the task manager and killing any Java related processes afterwards (presuming you're on Windows).
I can't seem to find anything Java related.

Maybe I need to update Java?

EDIT: My Java is completely up to date (it was before), but everything on the computer is lagging. I can't find anything in the Task Manager that is out of the ordinary. It's like Java is running infinite loops in the background just for fun...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Important:

Please pm or reply if you have any interest in continuing gafland.

Depending on demand, I will re-host after 1.5 releases. Addons will likely be limited to craftbook and anti-griefing measures depending on how the testing goes

There are some pretty significant projects on gafland, so I hate to see it fade into obscurity unless the demand is gone.

Edit:

I've gotten zero response, so it looks like it will fade into obscurity...

Grinchy

Banned
I'm thinking about starting "Gamer Town" on ASSCRAFT in the near future.

I may start it off by making a big NGage just for lulz. I'd also like to make things like a PC/Monitor structure, a playstation, that kind of stuff. Anything gaming related could be built, doesn't just have to be systems.

I just have to tear myself away from whatever else I haven't truly finished building, and then I will probably find and area, make the skybridge go there, and use some navigation signs to help people find it.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm having a blast on Civil Wars. Even if I'm only digging holes while I always do, to be on this mindset where I have to hide all my steps is a great layer.

Mikor

Can we get an update to the OP now that Exano's GAFland is coming down, and the Civil Wars server is basically up and running?

Sblargh

Banned
tumblr_ljq6dh5Vhx1qzwaelo1_500.jpg

Underground cavern on Civil Wars server.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OgTheClever said:
I think some people may be pissed off by this:

Shit. What about glass? I thought you cant place ladders on glass? I use the half ladder trick but have glass blocks in-between that will be difficult to replace.

I don't think it's a glitch, you could just about climb a real ladder set up like that

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
A huge squeleton.

I was replying "No idea" when i saw the name of the image.

I am making it 1:1 with the model in the game. (I pixel = one block)
No idea how much time it will take me but I'm starting by getting it done all white and then I will add the other colors.

I made my first visit to Netherworld, creating a portal in my base, and I ended in a huge room, without enemies. I got 150 netherracks and went back to my world.

Now I'm planning to create several bases in the real world (following Cartographer to create them over big caves), create portals in those bases, and make a minecart transport system in netherworld.

mrklaw said:
Shit. What about glass? I thought you cant place ladders on glass? I use the half ladder trick but have glass blocks in-between that will be difficult to replace.

I don't think it's a glitch, you could just about climb a real ladder set up like that
I suppose it could suck if you use that design a lot. You could try contacting Notch on twitter, or leave a suggestion on the Mojang Get Satisfaction page and ask if glass can be made buildable on: http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang

Shambles

Yeesh. Fell into a lava filled hole on asscraft. Quit immediately and then remembered I keep a bucket of water on me while mining. Logged back in and managed to dump my water before I died and dug upwards into what should have been obsidian but went down like stone in time to be able to breathe. Close call :S

Ranger X

Shambles said:
Yeesh. Fell into a lava filled hole on asscraft. Quit immediately and then remembered I keep a bucket of water on me while mining. Logged back in and managed to dump my water before I died and dug upwards into what should have been obsidian but went down like stone in time to be able to breathe. Close call :S

Some extreme stress moments like that sometimes make this game so golden!!

Shambles

And to make matters even more scary I just lost everything on the multiplayer server I had been spending most of my time on lately after falling into a hole in the middle of nowhere to the bottom of the world. Items disappeared before I could get back down to them, so i'm done with that other server now.

Tarin02543

Today I was digging real deep on Asscraft and hit on the motherload of diamond blocks. They were suspended above a big lavalake so I built a bridge leading towards the loot using the sneaking method (shift key). I accidentaly used a sand block for my last step and sank into the lava :(

This was way far off spawn, deep into new territory.

Jhriad

Suikoguy said:
Important:

Depending on demand, I will re-host after 1.5 releases. Addons will likely be limited to craftbook and anti-griefing measures depending on how the testing goes

There are some pretty significant projects on gafland, so I hate to see it fade into obscurity unless the demand is gone.

Edit:

Yeah i'd be interested but I think most of the community has moved onto other things for at least a couple weeks now. Server pop was way down before 1.4 hit.

Ranger X

Shambles said:
And to make matters even more scary I just lost everything on the multiplayer server I had been spending most of my time on lately after falling into a hole in the middle of nowhere to the bottom of the world. Items disappeared before I could get back down to them, so i'm done with that other server now.

lol lol, love your avatar.

Xun

Suikoguy said:
Important:

Edit:

It'd be great if it could continue, it'd be a shame to see it go.

Ranger X

I am almost done with my giant squeleton. Will post a photo soon. It's almost pixel perfect from the model in the game and it looks damn fine!

By the way, nobody noticed there's some memory leak with the game? When I open it, javaw.exe takes like 560mb. I played some hours and then I was at 800mb. Did a "save and quit", went back in the game and I was at 560mb again. I did absolutely nothing else than Minecraft and GAF during the whole time.

Rekubot

Ranger X said:
My squeleton is done :)
That... is impressive. I'm scared now. That definitely needs to be added as a super rare enemy in-game. :p

And speaking of Minecraft updates, a guy named davidr64 has made a well-written blog post about potential improvements that can be made to enhance the adventure side of the game. His youtube vids are what got me into Minecraft in the first place, so I owe it to him to get his post some wider coverage. It's definitely worth the read.

http://davidr64.tumblr.com/post/4670101570/whats-wrong-with-minecraft-and-how-to-fix-it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
My squeleton is done :)

verry nice. How long did it take you to gather the wool? I've started to do some nanoblocks models in minecraft and almost all of them need to be built in wool as they need white, black or a colour dye.

Ranger X

Rekubot said:
That... is impressive. I'm scared now. That definitely needs to be added as a super rare enemy in-game. :p

And speaking of Minecraft updates, a guy named davidr64 has made a well-written blog post about potential improvements that can be made to enhance the adventure side of the game. His youtube vids are what got me into Minecraft in the first place, so I owe it to him to get his post some wider coverage. It's definitely worth the read.

http://davidr64.tumblr.com/post/4670101570/whats-wrong-with-minecraft-and-how-to-fix-it

I liked his ideas, it's still in line with what Minecraft is. However, there are 2 things that came to my mind while reading:

- It's always easier to build on top of a game than finding ideas from scratch (aka we can always improve a game -- almost any game).

- Minecraft, due to its "sandbox" nature, always can be improved. Almost forever and until it's "real life 2". Because real life is just a immensly huge and complex sandbox...

So yeah, his ideas are fine but I think the game is also fine and Mojang is doing fine so far.
He will never find a game that he doesn't become tired of anyways.

mrklaw said:
verry nice. How long did it take you to gather the wool? I've started to do some nanoblocks models in minecraft and almost all of them need to be built in wool as they need white, black or a colour dye.

Hard to tell. It took me quite awhile. I've been collecting it while transporting my ressources from the old spawn to my new place. Takes almost one full day for a back and forth. I must have gone through dozen of days, hitting any sheeps on my way.

EDIT: lol, I just counted how many wool is in there: 686 blocks. If we average the collecting at 2 blocks per sheep = you need to hit 343 sheeps.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Rekubot said:

I get the feeling this guy's been playing WoW too much and wants to make Minecraft into another MMORPG. I wish he could have gotten to the point a bit earlier on, too. Reading the great wall of china text he wrote before he got to the "improvements" part, took forever. Maybe I'm just a slow reader.

BooJoh

A tip for wool: If you right click a sheep with dye equipped, you'll dye the sheep that color.

This has two advantages:

1. Your 1 dye will yield 1-3 blocks of that color wool instead of the 1 you'd get from crafting the dyed wool block.

2. You can dye any sheep, not just the white ones, so this method allows you to use dye on non-white wool.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want to install bukkit and worldedit on my LAN server (just for the family), but bukkit won't load any plugins - comes up with [SEVERE] class version issues for anything I try and put in. I've reverted to build 670, which is supposed to work with worldedit.

Running the server on a mac mini (10.5.8), and I've tried software update and no java updates are showing..

Ranger X

Sword Familiar said:
I get the feeling this guy's been playing WoW too much and wants to make Minecraft into another MMORPG. I wish he could have gotten to the point a bit earlier on, too. Reading the great wall of china text he wrote before he got to the "improvements" part, took forever. Maybe I'm just a slow reader.

Yeah I also think he's having a hard time passing his point. It was way too long for nothing. I did read a good part of it in diagonal.

Top Bottom