• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Another thing is, is that he knows he's great at MC, but doesn't realize what that means: that it'll be an easy play for him for now on. I cannot begin to count the number of times I've seen people do this with games they've mastered.

Mikor

mrklaw said:
I want to install bukkit and worldedit on my LAN server (just for the family), but bukkit won't load any plugins - comes up with [SEVERE] class version issues for anything I try and put in. I've reverted to build 670, which is supposed to work with worldedit.

Running the server on a mac mini (10.5.8), and I've tried software update and no java updates are showing..

Build 670 is what Civil Wars is running on. We're up and running fine, so maybe I can help.

First, use minecraft_server.jar to generate the necessary files, stopping the server after you've done so. Then, drop craftbukkit.jar into the same directory as the Minecraft server java executable. Then, run the server once more, but this time running the craftbukkit jar instead of the MC server jar. This will generate your plugin directories and so forth.

Once that's done, Worldedit is as simple as dropping the Worldedit.jar into your plugin directory, and configuration. Any questions, just drop me a PM.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow I LOVE that squeleton!

That's some very, very nice work. Collecting wool is the bane of my Minecraft existence, so I applaud this!

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
Wow I LOVE that squeleton!

That's some very, very nice work. Collecting wool is the bane of my Minecraft existence, so I applaud this!

Tks! :)
You know what, I don't like collecting for collecting. I got that wool simply because of my "style of play" if you want. While I was doing alot of other things, I was collecting wool from sheeps on my way because I knew someday I'd probably want to build something out of it. That squeleton now did take most of the wool I had gathered over time so NOW it would be long and tedious if I'd want to build something else. lol

Grinchy

Banned
haha I do the same thing. I always keep at least one or two dyes on me at all times for wool collecting because I'm sure one day I'll want it. That strategy is the only reason I was able to make a big thing of McDonalds fries on Asscraft, because I had the wool I needed already.

Then, just like you are saying, when I came to another project that needed red wool, I had none and I was back to hunting sheep lol. Most of the things I do use a decent amount of colored wool, so I think I've just spent too much time searching for sheep.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
have people on neogaf picked any particular alliance on the civil wars server?

Bison11

I dont mean to sound like a complete moron, but how do I install a texture pack? I started up the game, clicked the button to open the folder where the texture packs go...then I put the textures in the folder and then nothing. I restarted the game and still nothing. I dont really know what to do....I probably am just being dumb

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Bison11 said:
I dont mean to sound like a complete moron, but how do I install a texture pack? I started up the game, clicked the button to open the folder where the texture packs go...then I put the textures in the folder and then nothing. I restarted the game and still nothing. I dont really know what to do....I probably am just being dumb

put the zip file of the texture pack, don't extract it.

Mikor

Suikoguy said:
have people on neogaf picked any particular alliance on the civil wars server?

From a longer term political standpoint, even though Civil Wars is a public server, GAFfers will be gaffers and stick together. I'd foresee a new player faction eventually starting up specifically for GAF...

acksman

I'm on the AOF side, the server is starting to pick up rather fast. Since last week it has grown like crazy.

Its a fun server and Mikor and Exano seem to have a good plan put together to grow it.

KillerAJD

Belfast said:
Yeahhh... I really need to do something about getting my stuff jacked.
Your stuff was jacked? In the underground area? I'll help you with the money to buy a lock if you want. We had a couple people lose some stuff to people stealing yesterday.

Mikor

Belfast said:
Yeahhh... I really need to do something about getting my stuff jacked.

Try using /cprivate in game to purchase 1 chest/furnace lock. Be warned, though - it costs 10k CCRCoin, and is only good for one use!

On another slightly related note, what's going on with the OP? If he's stopped maintaining this thread, is there anyone else who can pick up maintaining the OP? I'm a Junior, else I'd make the thread myself.

LordAlu

Anyone have any good information about setting up a server on a home network? There's three of us that all play Minecraft and we'd like to create our own server we can all work on. I can barely find any details at all, nor can I find the files to run on a server. :(

The civil wars server is great, but I have THE WORST FRIGGEN LUCK on that damn thing. Everytime I find a dungeon or something I wind up getting my ass kicked and dying. And its always somewhere out in the middle of nowhere thats impossible to find. I also got me another wolf but died and now I have to venture out to find his ass again.
CURSE YOU MIKOR AND YOUR AWESOME, ADDICTING SERVER.

Mikor

LordAlu said:
Anyone have any good information about setting up a server on a home network? There's three of us that all play Minecraft and we'd like to create our own server we can all work on. I can barely find any details at all, nor can I find the files to run on a server. :(

First, go to minecraft.net and download the minecraft_server.jar executable. Then, use a command prompt/terminal to launch the file as such:

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

The numbers after Xmx and Xms are variable, that's the amount of RAM being allocated to minecraft for that session. If you happen to be on a machine with 4+ GB of RAM, feel free to increase those numbers in increments of 256 and experiment with that. The more RAM you can allocate to your server, the better it will perform. Minecraft's netcode is...less than stellar, lets say, and even just 1 additional player on the server is enough to drastically alter the server's performance, if memory is allocated improperly.

cbox

Any word on a backpack? That'd be pretty sweet...

Mikor, I run the gui version.. any difference? I can't set up a server on my pc but can on my laptop, both run win7 64, laptop with 3gb and pc with 4gb of ram.

Mikor

ConvenientBox said:
Any word on a backpack? That'd be pretty sweet...

Mikor, I run the gui version.. any difference? I can't set up a server on my pc but can on my laptop, both run win7 64, laptop with 3gb and pc with 4gb of ram.

There is no real difference between the gui version except the gui eats just the tiniest bit more memory. All the same status/[SEVERE]/etc messages you get in the gui server console is seen if you launch nogui, they are simply broadcast to the command prompt/terminal window you launched the server from.

LordAlu

Mikor said:
First, go to minecraft.net and download the minecraft_server.jar executable. Then, use a command prompt/terminal to launch the file as such:

The numbers after Xmx and Xms are variable, that's the amount of RAM being allocated to minecraft for that session. If you happen to be on a machine with 4+ GB of RAM, feel free to increase those numbers in increments of 256 and experiment with that. The more RAM you can allocate to your server, the better it will perform. Minecraft's netcode is...less than stellar, lets say, and even just 1 additional player on the server is enough to drastically alter the server's performance, if memory is allocated improperly.
Thanks for that!

Cranzor

Does anybody have any recent tutorials on how to set up a server? Me and by brother tried for like 2 weeks and we finally got it to work but we had to use Hamachi which can be pretty annoying... We did the port forwarding/opening stuff too but no one could join.

Holepunch

KillerAJD said:
Your stuff was jacked? In the underground area? I'll help you with the money to buy a lock if you want. We had a couple people lose some stuff to people stealing yesterday.
Yeah, I'm noticing this influx of new people seem to have sticky hands. dFranc had his anvil jacked, and you can't lock those up unless you place and take back every single time. It's especially annoying if people decide they don't like the server and rob on their way out. Can't trust the rabble, man.

Also the King is a man of Order and Prosperity while the rebels live in a constantly raided hellhole where unarmed maniacs punch people in the back of their heads. How can you guys stand it?

Mikor

Holepunch, you could always consider purchasing an investigation? At 10k CCRCoin, its not all that cheap, but you will get the satisfaction of knowing who stole what from which chest/destroyed which block/etc. The consequences for said thief, well, that's up to you really.

So does anyone have any suggestions for any good Let's Play Minecraft? I'm a big fan of X's Let's Play, but since he's not really playing anymore, I'm looking for some more good let's play Minecraft. Any suggestions?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mikor said:

I don't know if macs have way more efficient java, but I run a server on my old mac mini with 2GB ram and it maybe sucks up 15% CPU and a few hundred meg wi a couple of people on it (just LAN), that seems pretty reasonable to me.

Also pretty easy to set up, as Mikor described - couple more stages for the mac to set it up so you can double click to execute it. Nut now I have bucket and world edit installed and my kids are loving it

Luckydude23 said:
So does anyone have any suggestions for any good Let's Play Minecraft? I'm a big fan of X's Let's Play, but since he's not really playing anymore, I'm looking for some more good let's play Minecraft. Any suggestions?
Yogscast, seananners

Apath

Rekubot said:
That... is impressive. I'm scared now. That definitely needs to be added as a super rare enemy in-game. :p

And speaking of Minecraft updates, a guy named davidr64 has made a well-written blog post about potential improvements that can be made to enhance the adventure side of the game. His youtube vids are what got me into Minecraft in the first place, so I owe it to him to get his post some wider coverage. It's definitely worth the read.

http://davidr64.tumblr.com/post/4670101570/whats-wrong-with-minecraft-and-how-to-fix-it
I read up until the spell book part because I thought it was no longer worth reading. His ideas are pretty standard affair that I'm sure many people suggest. And do I do agree with it: the game lacks a serious sense of progression outside of the initial phase of the game (making a base and some basic equipment).

Grinchy

Banned
Eccocid said:
Something happened to Asscraft server? /players command is not even working anymore.
I noticed that too. I was the only one on the server at the time (b/c I could sleep) but it still usually whispers something back.

Luckydude23 said:

Yogscast. First season starts with "How to survive the night," second season is survival island, third season is Shadows of Israphel, I believe.

Vlad

Well, looks like 1.5 is out. Just got the update. Of course, I wasn't intending to update so I could still play on the Factions server for now, but I got click-happy, I guess.

Haven't seen any weather yet, but the stats and achievements are definitely up and running. There's also an option under Advanced OpenGL that toggles on/off, but I can't tell what that does.

Off to try crafting new stuff.

Vlad

Ranger X said:
Oh snap!
I didn't think it would be released this soon.

Man the day will be long...

Oh, it gets better. Minepedia has the patch notes up, too, and as always, there's more than what Notch mentioned. What I think makes this the official Best Update Ever:

Minepedia said:
Holding SHIFT+Click on something in a chest will immediately drag the selected item(s) into your inventory and vice-versa.

And it works! Not only that, but it consolidates items! So if you've got three partial stacks of dirt in a chest and you shift-click dirt in your inventory, it doesn't just dump the dirt straight over, but tries to fill up the existing chest stacks first! No more dragging EVERYTHING back and forth! Also, apparently birch and pine trees drop birch and pine saplings.

Also, I noticed that when a chicken laid an egg, there was a distinct popping sound. Kind of like when you pick up an item, but deeper and more pronounced. Has that always happened?

Got some weather, too. No lightning yet,but rain/snow. Liking the rain sound effect. Got some framerate chugging when near a ton of trees in the rain, though.

I really like the achievement system as well. It should really help new players get into the swing of things once more achievements are added (there isn't one for making torches). One thing that struck me as interesting was that the "ride a pig off a cliff" one is only attainable after the "get leather" one, implying that we can craft saddles now. I tried, but couldn't figure out a recipe that would work.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Good timing for 1.5 to come out, I was just starting to think about settling into a long-term single player map because I can't take the instability of multiplayer servers anymore (see: Asscraft - still no commands, and GAFland - RIP).

I kind of want one giant island in the middle of an ocean that I can build hatches and structures on while running from evil smoke monsters.

Anyone have a good seed I should start off with?

Vlad

Ok... doing some initial testing with the new rails. Haven't done anything with detector rails yet, but I've got to say, unless I'm doing something wrong here, the booster rails are kind of wimpy.

Yeah, I know gold isn't that useful (it takes six gold, one redstone, and one stick to make six booster rails), but I was kind of expecting even a single track section to give a decent boost, seeing as these are supposed to replace the existing boosters.

However, from a near dead stop (can't test from an absolute stop, more on that in a second), the booster only pushed the cart about 9 blocks on open ground before it came to a stop. To see if sequential boosters have a cumulative effect, I laid all six down end-to-end, and there was a slight improvement. The cart moved about 15 blocks along flat ground from the last booster before stopping. Nicer, but still nowhere near useful enough to replace the existing boosters (which still work, thankfully).

They also work as brake sections. A cart coming across an unpowered (they're off by default, you can just stick a redstone torch next to one to have it permanently on) section seems to always come to a complete stop. However, the problem here is that it doesn't seem possible to actually boost the cart back from a stop using the boosters. I hooked a lever up to some powered rail, and while I was able to toggle the track (there's a visible difference between off and on), I wasn't able to start a cart moving that was on the rails. I'm guessing this is because the powered rails aren't directional. A cart moving in a certain direction will get a boost in that direction, so the game doesn't know what to do with a stopped cart.

Time to play around with the detector rails...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shame it doesn't work from a dead stop - one of the main reasons for having them powered really, make it easier to have 'stations'.

Also dumb to have it so weak. I'm not sure the exact distribution, but I have tons more redstone than gold, and one gold per track is very expensive in comparison to what it takes with redstone. I still maintain that as they use redstone for 'power' across minecraft, they should have used redstone to make booster rails..

Vlad

mrklaw said:
shame it doesn't work from a dead stop - one of the main reasons for having them powered really, make it easier to have 'stations'.

Also dumb to have it so weak. I'm not sure the exact distribution, but I have tons more redstone than gold, and one gold per track is very expensive in comparison to what it takes with redstone. I still maintain that as they use redstone for 'power' across minecraft, they should have used redstone to make booster rails..

Yeah, they're rather disappointing, and I certainly don't see using them for any reason in their current state. I understand that they probably didn't want them as powerful as regular boosters, but there's plenty of happy middle ground to be had.

Did some experimenting with the detector rails, and I've got to say that they're also similarly disappointing. You make them by using a stone pressure plate, so I had assumed that they'd have the same functionality as a stone plate by itself (off unless a cart with a passenger of some sort is on it). However, they act like the wood plates. They're on when ANY cart goes over it, empty or full. I really don't see the purpose in this, since a cart is the ONLY thing that will set one off, why bother with them in the first place. I think what almost everybody used the pressure plates for was an empty cart control system. You accidentally send an empty cart boosting away, and the pressure plate detects that it's empty and reroutes it onto a track that returns it to you so you don't have to go chasing after it. Without that, I really don't see a use for them. I guess they could be useful for using a single track going to-from somewhere, and routing the cart to a different place based on whether it's coming or going. Otherwise, what else are you going to do with it, use it to open your front door via minecart?

Oh, and for reference, the detector blocks send the signal to the blocks next to and below themselves.

Honestly, they should just integrate all the minecart functionality from Craftbook (well, I think they make almost all of Craftbook part of vanilla MC, but that's beside the point). While the usage of signs is clunky and a necessary evil due to it being a server-side mod, it does everything you could possibly want. There's boosters, brakes, the ability to automatically kick out a passenger, station blocks, sorting blocks, automatic cart storage and dispensing, and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I think these two rails that we got today are a step in the right direction, but they're not nearly powerful enough to be useful.

webrunner

Some people are saying that there's some interesting quirks about the power tracks that might help:

1- They seem to go a lot faster if you're already going faster (someone said alternating booster-detector-booster, someone else said boost after a hill)
2- They go a lot faster if you are in the cart than if it is full.

Top Bottom