• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Falt

Could someone post the Civil War server address? Sounds like fun!

Also, is there any where I can read up on the game type? Rules and what not.

It's been a while since I've played. I jumped onto Exano's server recently and so much had changed but it was mighty lonely.

webrunner

hey.. I can't play ATM, can someone test something for me:

If you have an unpowered booster rail on a hill, and then drop a cart down said hill, the brake would stop it, correct?

Now, what happens if you then power the rail? Would it get going because gravity itself would move the cart and the brake is no longer in play? Or would the nature of the booster keep it from moving?

Falt said:
Could someone post the Civil War server address? Sounds like fun!

Also, is there any where I can read up on the game type? Rules and what not.

It's been a while since I've played. I jumped onto Exano's server recently and so much had changed but it was mighty lonely.

The address is here: http://ccrtminecraft.wikidot.com/
Make sure you read through the wiki as well for player commands and what not. It'll help you out a lot.

Also my game auto updated to 1.5, how am I spose to get on the server? ;-;

Vlad

webrunner said:
Some people are saying that there's some interesting quirks about the power tracks that might help:

1- They seem to go a lot faster if you're already going faster (someone said alternating booster-detector-booster, someone else said boost after a hill)
2- They go a lot faster if you are in the cart than if it is full.

I just tested #2 and it's... well, half-right. The cart doesn't really go faster, but it keeps its momentum for MUCH longer. I was able to go at least 30 blocks on flat track off a single booster, and I only stopped because I ran out of track. It definitely felt a whole lot slower than using the old-style boosters. So, I wonder if the powered rails will work better for moving carts around over small distances (like inside stations), but it'll be better to use the old-style boosters for getting the speed up for long trips, which would be a workable solution.

As far as number one goes, booster-detector seems to be a bit wasteful. I've already seen a lot of people on the MC forums that think that's the best way to have a booster always on. It's MUCH easier to just stick a redstone torch directly adjacent to the booster track.

If you have an unpowered booster rail on a hill, and then drop a cart down said hill, the brake would stop it, correct?

Now, what happens if you then power the rail? Would it get going because gravity itself would move the cart and the brake is no longer in play? Or would the nature of the booster keep it from moving?

Yeah, you guessed right. The brake on the incline holds the cart in place, and powering the rail lets the cart roll downhill. It doesn't gain any speed boost beyond what would be given to it on a normal incline, but it does look to be a good way to have some control over the cart direction using these.

webrunner

Vlad said:
I just tested #2 and it's... well, half-right. The cart doesn't really go faster, but it keeps its momentum for MUCH longer. I was able to go at least 30 blocks on flat track off a single booster, and I only stopped because I ran out of track. It definitely felt a whole lot slower than using the old-style boosters. So, I wonder if the powered rails will work better for moving carts around over small distances (like inside stations), but it'll be better to use the old-style boosters for getting the speed up for long trips, which would be a workable solution.

As far as number one goes, booster-detector seems to be a bit wasteful. I've already seen a lot of people on the MC forums that think that's the best way to have a booster always on. It's MUCH easier to just stick a redstone torch directly adjacent to the booster track.
Maybe booster-regular track-booster-regular-track-booster will get it up to a decent speed?

Vlad said:
Yeah, you guessed right. The brake on the incline holds the cart in place, and powering the rail lets the cart roll downhill. It doesn't gain any speed boost beyond what would be given to it on a normal incline, but it does look to be a good way to have some control over the cart direction using these.

As well as control of starting from stopped.

By the way, Vlad.. I heard you were a vampire? Can you comment on this?

Ranger X

Vlad said:
Oh, it gets better. Minepedia has the patch notes up, too, and as always, there's more than what Notch mentioned. What I think makes this the official Best Update Ever:

Also, I noticed that when a chicken laid an egg, there was a distinct popping sound. Kind of like when you pick up an item, but deeper and more pronounced. Has that always happened?

I don't see the update notes on Minepedia. In the update&events section the lastest is 1.4.1

About the bolded, yes it was always like this.

webrunner

Awesome.. the ramp-booster trick I just mentioned? Carts going INTO it don't get blocked by it, they slow to a stop. So it looks like booster-ramp is the easiest way to make a minecart station now.

Mikor

Folks, I'm sorry I was tied up all morning with work.

I see 1.5 came out today! Great!

Civil Wars will likely not be on 1.5 for the forseeable future. Please keep a 1.4_01 version of your minecraft.jar backed up somewhere on your PC and DISABLE automatic updates if you wish to continue to play on Civil Wars. It will be at least a day before we're up an running on 1.5, and potentially longer depending on how severe the code changes to MC break our modifications to the server.

Fitz

Anyone have any issues with the achievement pop-up things not disappearing? Everyone on the server I'm playing on is stuck with the default "Press X to open Inventory" message.

EDIT: Well it seems that after about an hour of being logged out the message has vanished for some, but not others.

webrunner

oNTiY.png

Starting to retrofit my stations.. one set of bosoters leaving, and one booster on the hill.

You know, you could use a detector track to create a super rail switching post, with each cart going to it's own track based on whether there's carts on the other tracks...

Occasionally along the track I have a few booster-track-booster-track-booster setups to keep it going. It seems to go at about the same speed as my previous system so I would say the doomsaying about the new tracks is unfounded: they just need a bit of creativity (far less then you need to make a working glitch booster system..)

Vlad

webrunner said:
Occasionally along the track I have a few booster-track-booster-track-booster setups to keep it going. It seems to go at about the same speed as my previous system so I would say the doomsaying about the new tracks is unfounded: they just need a bit of creativity (far less then you need to make a working glitch booster system..)

Indeed. The big thing that threw me off was the difference between the boost to an empty minecart and an occupied one. I was so used to the way the old boosters would send empty carts absolutely flying away from you that I didn't realize that there might be a difference with the new implementation.

It's still a HUGE step in the right direction, and I've already thought of a few other interesting uses for the detector tracks. It's still crucial to have a variant that detects occupied empty, but for now, I'm enjoying the new toys.

Ranger X said:
I don't see the update notes on Minepedia. In the update&events section the lastest is 1.4.1

About the bolded, yes it was always like this.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history

Even though they don't have a news entry for the 1.5 release, there's info on that page about it.

I guess I was never near enough to a chicken when they laid an egg to notice the sound before.

Wool

evilgreg said:
Good timing for 1.5 to come out, I was just starting to think about settling into a long-term single player map because I can't take the instability of multiplayer servers anymore (see: Asscraft - still no commands, and GAFland - RIP).

I kind of want one giant island in the middle of an ocean that I can build hatches and structures on while running from evil smoke monsters.

Anyone have a good seed I should start off with?

I just started a single player world on seed: -9028489474908844496

There is no giant island as far as I can tell, but it is an awesome spawn and there is a good size ocean nearby!

Mikor

Current list of known identified bugs for 1.5 SMP:

1. booster rails sometimes stay powered even though source is gone
2. detector rails crash client when other rails are placed nearby
3. grass side fix doesnt work- the color is stuck the same - Xun, maybe that's what you're seeing?
4. advanced opengl broken- does nothing noticeble
5. rain and snow go thru glass, stairs and leaves on fast graphics
6. if you jump on a fence you get kicked for flying
7. playing 1.5 servers will send lots of unknown packets to 1.5 clients
8. sometimes rain can crash client
9. for some people new items will look pink
10. for some people weather never shows up
11. oclusion culling non existant - Questioning this one, any feedback from GAF on 1.5?
12. sometimes chunk generating causes chunk render failures
13. for some people the message of "press i to see inventory" wont go away
14. some people cant get achievement at all
15. /list only shows first 2 lines
16. you can no longer place blocks directly on snow cover, except flowers saplings and mushrooms
17. weather effects are extremely rare in general
18. grass side fix stops working completely on fast graphics
19. advanced opengl creates many more chunk render issues
20. for some people updating to 1.5 and playing without restarting client will disable sound and music partly
21. 1.5 clients playing 1.4 servers will error servers greatly due to unknown packets
22. if you are alone on SMP/first that logs on/own the server (1 of the 3) achievements will work on SMP
23. you are unable to turn booster and detector rails

These are bugs that have been identified by the development team of the CraftBukkit modification platform.

To all GAFfers on Civil Wars - the lead developer of the CraftBukkit modification platform has announced today that they will not be releasing an updated build until after the expected "patch storm" over the next few days comes in. There are gamebreaking bugs present in 1.5 (you can't build on snow?!), so Civil Wars will be staying at version 1.4_01 for at least the next day or two.

There are instructions on how to roll back the client out there on the Googles.

evilgreg

Neo Member
rdelaney said:
I just started a single player world on seed: -9028489474908844496

There is no giant island as far as I can tell, but it is an awesome spawn and there is a good size ocean nearby!
Thanks, I'll try it out.

Vlad

Mikor said:
Current list of known identified bugs for 1.5 SMP:

3. grass side fix doesnt work- the color is stuck the same - Xun, maybe that's what you're seeing?

Wasn't the fix that the side grass texture now matches the top texture for the different biome shades? Seems to work fine, unless I haven't seen the shades where it doesn't work yet.

10. for some people weather never shows up
17. weather effects are extremely rare in general

Those are probably related, and I don't know if I'd call them "bugs", per se. I've only had one occurrence of weather so far, and I like how rare it is. If anything, I think if I had to deal with rain/snow coming down every five minutes I'd get a little sick of it. It's a nice little event that happens every so often, I imagine the rarity is by design.

Oh, and a note on the powered rails! It looks like they CAN be used as launchers after all. You just have to have the powered rail be up against a block (so it has to be the last track in a line) and it'll get the cart moving on its own.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For someone that hasn't heavily invested in mine carts, is the new system simpler/better than the old boosters and/or something like craft book? How about resource requirements? Seems to need a lot of gold. And this might seem a silly question, but how do you actually get in - do you have to push it and jump - no way to get in while stationary and then push a button to go?

Love that shift-click thing though, will speed up inventory management a lot.

Vlad

mrklaw said:
For someone that hasn't heavily invested in mine carts, is the new system simpler/better than the old boosters and/or something like craft book? How about resource requirements? Seems to need a lot of gold. And this might seem a silly question, but how do you actually get in - do you have to push it and jump - no way to get in while stationary and then push a button to go?

Love that shift-click thing though, will speed up inventory management a lot.

Well, keep in mind that this is only from a little bit of experimentation so far...

Right now I'd say that the two new additions add a little bit of an improvement to the old setup, but it's still nowhere near as convenient or powerful as Craftbook's minecart system.

With the old minecarts, your options were rather clunky as far as getting the cart started go. You could rig a button to a track switch that would send one of two perpetually-moving carts towards a THIRD cart which you'd be sitting in, boosting that one on its way. Alternatively, you could just give it a little nudge and hop in, hoping that you didn't miss and have to watch the empty cart take off without you. My stations in my SP map went with the second approach, and I used stone pressure plates to rig up an empty cart return system (stone pressure plates don't trigger on empty carts, only full ones).

The new powered rails make the initial launch a LOT cleaner. You don't have to rely on another cart to get your cart moving. You can either have the Powered trails run up to a block with a button nearby (hop in cart, push button), or have the powered rails on an incline. The cart will stop on them when they're off, then you can hop in and press a button that's wired to the track to release the cart down the hill.

For empty cart checking, that remains unchanged. Since the new Detector Rails can't differentiate between a full and empty cart (they'll trigger when any cart goes over them), you still have to rely on stone pressure plates. As far as I know, you need a secondary booster cart to push the main one over the pressure plate to maintain the primary cart's speed and to keep it on the rails, so those systems remain unchanged.

As far as the trip between stations go, you could go either way. The old-style boosters still give a much higher top speed than the powered rails do (so fast that carts won't stop on unpowered powered rails if they're traveling at the higher speed), but the powered rails still provide a decent push to an occupied cart, so you could use those if you didn't want to bother with booster carts.

Stitch

Gold Member
ConvenientBox said:
Hmm seems you can't staggar ladders now, I have to make twice as many now! GRR
yes, this sucks. i have to fix all my ladders now :(

now it just crashed while i was making ladders...

ckohler

Vlad said:
Oh, and a note on the powered rails! It looks like they CAN be used as launchers after all. You just have to have the powered rail be up against a block (so it has to be the last track in a line) and it'll get the cart moving on its own.
Interesting. I can already see how this might work for a station. For example:

powerBooster.png

You could then use a detector rail before the corner track to ensure you are always diverted into the stop/launcher when entering the station.

Mikor

Could be correct about that, Vlad. Regardless, the chunk render errors related to advanced OpenGL and the broken snow is enough to be considered gamebreaking, from a server-admin standpoint. Imagine if it started snowing on a Faction's territory? You'd be prevented from building on your own land. Not good.

webrunner

Mikor said:
Could be correct about that, Vlad. Regardless, the chunk render errors related to advanced OpenGL and the broken snow is enough to be considered gamebreaking, from a server-admin standpoint. Imagine if it started snowing on a Faction's territory? You'd be prevented from building on your own land. Not good.

i think it only snows on snow biomes anyway so it's not that big of a deal.

Suikoguy said:
Notch says he is not paying attention to any bugs until after he finished Portal 2... I think you are supposed to keep those things to yourself...
Would be different if he was not charging for the game.

http://twitter.com/#!/notch/statuses/60338131517444096

I think that's mostly a joke. Also there are other devs (at least the track crash is already set to be fixed tommorow)

Mikor

webrunner said:
i think it only snows on snow biomes anyway so it's not that big of a deal.

Can anyone confirm this? Still doesn't fix the potential x-ray exploit that the chunk rendering error produces, but at least that's one more bug that can be considered "non-game-breaking" for a server concept like ours...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
webrunner said:
It's about 8 hours for SP, and a similar in length coop campaign.

That's not that bad, would take me a few days then... can't sit and play a game anymore for 8 hours. hehe

I forget he has a team working on things now.

ckohler

Jeb_ is Minecraft's primary developer now and he's working on the issues. Notch still contributes code however and he makes the final decisions.

Vlad

Mikor said:

Or you could just, you know, clear the snow off the block and then build on the cleared land.

For all we know, it's intentional behavior. It doesn't take THAT long to clear the snow layer off stuff (even less when you've got a shovel).

bengraven

So my single player save, all 2-300 hours of it was destroyed on accident. I was trying to move the GAFLand save file into my folder and over-wrote it.

I was seriously upset for 30 minutes.

Then I logged into GAFland and took an hour to run home to East point (I explored a bit there in North point where I spawned) and suddenly felt at home again.

Suikoguy said:
... it's that short?
ouch

People are causing a tiff on Metacritic over the length with some kid(s) saying they beat it in 4 hours. I don't know.

Mikor

Vlad said:
Or you could just, you know, clear the snow off the block and then build on the cleared land.

For all we know, it's intentional behavior. It doesn't take THAT long to clear the snow layer off stuff (even less when you've got a shovel).

Have you BEEN on the server within the past 3 days?

;)

Ranger X

Willy105 said:
None of the servers of the OP work. I am not pleased.

The owners did not update to 1.5 yet. That's why. I suppose you can revert your minecraft to a previous version somehow.

Mikor said:
Can anyone confirm this? Still doesn't fix the potential x-ray exploit that the chunk rendering error produces, but at least that's one more bug that can be considered "non-game-breaking" for a server concept like ours...

It snows only in snow biome. If you did remove the snow overthere, it would comeback.
As for building, like McLaw or Vlad said, you need to remove the snow before building. It might be intended behavior.

Jhriad

Vlad said:

The size of some of the snow biomes on the Civil War map still make that bug kinda annoying. Seriously there's at least one snow biome that's larger than most of my single player maps.

Eccocid said:
yeah servers are not working and singleplayer is so boring :( i feel like alone in a mmorpg :/

Servers work fine. Go back to 1.4 and play all you want. Simple enough.

bengraven

Suikoguy said:
That's not that bad, would take me a few days then... can't sit and play a game anymore for 8 hours. hehe

I forget he has a team working on things now.

BTW:

Notch: "It took me about six hours to beat it. Totally worth the wait. Well done, Valve!"

;) Told you.

Top Bottom