• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

bengraven

ZZMitch said:
move your bed away from the wall?

Yep...skellies will spawn in your room if you touch the wall with your bed.

something to do with spawn distances and while touching the wall you are considered outside.

Roche

holybetarsb9.jpg

Just came across the largest beta hole I've ever seen in the Civil Wars server, I had my render distance on far and I couldn't see to the end of it. Madness.

Foxix Von

I just started to try out civil wars aaaand...

Does anyone have any tips on fixing "java SE binary not responding"?

;_; The game just keeps going black and closing.

Grinchy

Banned
Never did post my sand hand on asscraft:

rVKMk.png

This is my single player file. The red arrow points down at my spawn point. Then I walk across the red bridge to a staircase you can't see in this pic. I added the trees on top of it recently, and now it reminds me of a Chia pet every time I see it haha.

MubqS.png

Ranger X

Ok, I did some testing and the chunks missing are occuring when I turn on/off the occlusion while being in-game. It's like the game never reloads a chunk I did occlude after I turn to option off. Nice cheap way of looking under you to see if there's a cave. lol

I also am not impressed by the performance update.
I gained more or less 2 fps and my draw distance is a tad better with occlusion turned on.

Grinchy

Banned
I have barely been on it since it updated, but I feel like I had a pretty decent performance boost. I typically change my 2nd monitor (TV) to 720p and play Minecraft that way. I also usually keep it on Fast instead of Fancy, with Far distance.

After the update, it was actually pretty playable with Fancy, Far, and 1900x1200 (on my 1st monitor).

Definitely interested in the civil wars server. This sounds like what I've been wanting out of this game since I started playing it nearly a year ago. I don't see the address posted in an obvious place on the website, but I can understand why. How do I jump in?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems to be slightly worse on my MBP. Tiny stutters now and then, and generally just feels a tad sluggish. Ran really well before (far, fancy).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I started a new world for 1.5 and it's been a blast trying to play according to the achievements. I have two cottages and the beginning of a mine. Will build a dock soon so I can start exploring for clay and make my first brick house.

Soule

NotTarts said:
So I fired up an old alpha version of Minecraft today:
AlphaMinecraft1.jpg

AlphaMinecraft2.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks the worlds aren't as interesting anymore?
very old post, but I just bought the game and I haven't seen anywhere like this... just wanted to know if you really see sights like this anymore or if i should just look around more.

Ranger X

Soule said:
very old post, but I just bought the game and I haven't seen anywhere like this... just wanted to know if you really see sights like this anymore or if i should just look around more.

Look around more.

SpawnPoint.png

Newhome.png

LavaSnowWater.png

Cliffs and awesome places are in every single seed. It's just a question of finding them.

:)

Soule

Ranger X said:
Look around more.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/SpawnPoint.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/Newhome.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq262/RangerX_photos/LavaSnowWater.png[IMG]

Cliffs and awesome places are in every single seed. It's just a question of finding them.

:)[/QUOTE]
Awesome places, just been walking for the last half hour looking around and it seems kinda repetitive atm, it's heartening to hear nothing has changed and they're there I just need to find them. I suppose if worst comes to worst I can just create it myself! lol dunno why I care so much, before looking I spent the vast majority of my time digging in the dark, addictive game have so many ideas of what to do in my head

Jhriad

1.5_01

Fix 3 introduce 8 bugs. Great work there Mojang.

Bug Fixes:
Game no longer crashes when Detector Rails are placed.
Blocks can now be placed on Snow / Water.
Rain no longer goes through translucent blocks.

New Bugs:
Placing anything will cause an "internal server error"
Using tools in SMP will crash the game with "internal server error" on some servers!
Attacking anything with tools in SMP will crash the game with "internal server error" on some servers.
If you resize the window (no-fullscreen) after typing in the world name and the seed, they both will be reset to "New World" and a blank seed.
In SMP you will get an "dirt screen" when taking something out of the Workbench.
On some servers if a block is placed on a snow block, the action will be immediately reversed and the snow block will return and the placed block will be added back to your inventory. (May only happen when snowing)
When crafting in your inventory you will get an "internal server error".
When jumping from a fence to another fence above the fence you jumped from in SMP, you get kicked for flying.

webrunner

Jhriad said:
1.5_01

Fix 3 introduce 8 bugs. Great work there Mojang.

Bug Fixes:
Game no longer crashes when Detector Rails are placed.
Blocks can now be placed on Snow / Water.
Rain no longer goes through translucent blocks.

New Bugs:
Placing anything will cause an "internal server error"
Using tools in SMP will crash the game with "internal server error" on some servers!
Attacking anything with tools in SMP will crash the game with "internal server error" on some servers.
If you resize the window (no-fullscreen) after typing in the world name and the seed, they both will be reset to "New World" and a blank seed.
In SMP you will get an "dirt screen" when taking something out of the Workbench.
On some servers if a block is placed on a snow block, the action will be immediately reversed and the snow block will return and the placed block will be added back to your inventory. (May only happen when snowing)
When crafting in your inventory you will get an "internal server error".
When jumping from a fence to another fence above the fence you jumped from in SMP, you get kicked for flying.

1.5_02 has been out for a while already

Jhriad

webrunner said:
1.5_02 has been out for a while already

And by "a while" you mean what an hour now? Jeez why hasn't 1.5_03 hit already. Slow poke development cycle.

EDIT: Little more than 2 hours ago. Even longer than I thought.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ranger X said:
So does 1.5.02 fixes those multiplayer breaking bugs listed there? ^^

I hope so, those bugs make me think they don't test multiplayer...

webrunner

Jhriad said:
And by "a while" you mean what an hour now? Jeez why hasn't 1.5_03 hit already. Slow poke development cycle.

EDIT: Little more than 2 hours ago. Even longer than I thought.

I'm just saying it's unfair to complain about a release that was already no longer current at the time of the complaint.

Jhriad

Fixes in 1.5_02:

Game no longer crashes from "internal server error" created by bugs in 1.5_01's Server in SMP
Players no longer get the "dirt screen" when taking something out of the Workbench

Seems like we might still have some bugs from 1.5 that would adversely affect MP but it sounds like it addresses most of the bugs from 1.5_01 that would affect SMP.

webrunner said:
I'm just saying it's unfair to complain about a release that was already no longer current at the time of the complaint.

At the time of complaint the Version History on the Minecraft wiki hadn't been updated and the patch had been out for like an hour so I wasn't aware of any update. Given that they broke almost 3x as much as they fixed, and from the sounds of it killed SMP in the process, I'm not going to apologize for pointing it out.

So I fooled around with booster track yesterday, and it's really easy to make stations now. If you put the booster track against a block, then put a switch with it, you hop in the cart, hit the switch, and it will send you on your way. The booster tracks do seem a ton slower than the glitch boosters, but they will work if you make enough of them and stagger them. I do wish you could change the directionality of the booster segments though.

Ranger X

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
So I fooled around with booster track yesterday, and it's really easy to make stations now. If you put the booster track against a block, then put a switch with it, you hop in the cart, hit the switch, and it will send you on your way. The booster tracks do seem a ton slower than the glitch boosters, but they will work if you make enough of them and stagger them. I do wish you could change the directionality of the booster segments though.

And if you do a loop with your track I suppose you can end your loop with a detection track that will turn off the booster track you started on?

Ranger X said:
And if you do a loop with your track I suppose you can end your loop with a detection track that will turn off the booster track you started on?

I actually didn't fool around with the detector track really. The thing about them is that they work like a pressure plate rather than a switch/lever. It will only activate/deactivate when your cart is on it. So you can have it turn off your booster track while you're on it, but as soon as your cart passes over it the booster will be reactivated.

I haven't done it yet, but I can diagram how I would do a station system...

6N52T.png

Cart would stop at every station. You flip the lever to change which direction you want to go. When it's stopped at the station if you press the button it will activate the booster and send you on your way.

Vlad

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I actually didn't fool around with the detector track really. The thing about them is that they work like a pressure plate rather than a switch/lever. It will only activate/deactivate when your cart is on it. So you can have it turn off your booster track while you're on it, but as soon as your cart passes over it the booster will be reactivated.

Well, you can get around that by wiring up a latch or a flip-flop to the detector rails to end up forcing the resulting output to stay off or on, depending on what you're aiming for.

webrunner

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

I haven't done it yet, but I can diagram how I would do a station system...

6N52T.png

Cart would stop at every station. You flip the lever to change which direction you want to go. When it's stopped at the station if you press the button it will activate the booster and send you on your way.

If the switch was on and you came in from the left wouldnt you then skip the station?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Soule said:

You need to look around. As you travel farther from your spawn point the terrain gets more and more random.

Vlad said:
Well, you can get around that by wiring up a latch or a flip-flop to the detector rails to end up forcing the resulting output to stay off or on, depending on what you're aiming for.

Yeah. My redstone circuitry is a bit hazy as I took a long time off the game. It's certainly possible to do, it's just a lot more complicated.

webrunner said:
If the switch was on and you came in from the left wouldnt you then skip the station?

Yeah. I pretty much only play SSP, so I never really have to worry about two-way traffic though. I'm either coming from one end or from the other end.

Just wanted to share my first building project, still learning the game so nothing too fancy yet.

Lava tower from a distance (Built as a landmark):
9spnDl.jpg

Stairs and bridge from lava to fortress:
lChnYl.jpg

f8JFfl.png

My humble little house:
LLkE1l.jpg

Main mine shaft, down to the bedrock where the mining operation is:
WJ81bl.jpg

Next project. Entrance gate and garden.

Timan

Developer
We're running a temp map atm, so if anyone wants to join up and mess around see the new stuff in 1.5~

Server address is on the first page. Dynamicsquid

Ranger X

bengraven said:
Haven't played THAT long yet, but I've put in a few hours at least.

I have yet to see any weather.

I played like 3-4 hours yesterday evening in my ranch and did not see any weather either.
I hope there's not a bug for some people...

Vlad

Ranger X said:
I played like 3-4 hours yesterday evening in my ranch and did not see any weather either.
I hope there's not a bug for some people...

Yeah, I saw weather after about 10 minutes on a new map in 1.5 and haven't seen any since. I wonder if it's just really really rare.

Jasoco

Banned
Haven't seen any weather yet. I did unlock a majority of the current achievements though by starting a new world. Haven't played with carts yet either. I think I'll do some experimenting.

Ranger X

SatelliteOfLove said:
Ewww...achievements. Ah well, someone hopefully will pop out a quick mod to hide that stuff or Notch can put it in Options.

Well, they are special achievements really. More like a tutorial I would say. And they ARE optional, you don't have to do them, just like all achievements and trophies.

Ranger X said:
Well, they are special achievements really. More like a tutorial I would say. And they ARE optional, you don't have to do them, just like all achievements and trophies.

Bullshit! I won't believe it!
Played anyways, couldn't find snow & rain, still want something to hide those prompts ala 360; WoW had this problem.

Vlad

Ranger X said:

Indeed. I really like this approach to a tutorial. It doesn't completely give away the crafting recipes to new players, but it gives them an idea with what they can do with what materials. It needs to be fleshed out, of course, and the "ride a pig off a cliff" achievement is a little misleading (makes you think you can use leather to craft the saddle, since it's unlocked after the "kill a cow" achievement).

I'd like to see the locked achievements hidden until they're available, and I'd REALLY like it if they brought back the draggable map from the preview video, as dragging the map around in the current implementation is kind of tedious.

BooJoh

I had rain my first night after updating to 1.5, using my same world from before. The rain started right at sundown, and ended when I used a bed.

Is rain supposed to keep monsters from dying? There were zombies and skeletons walking around freely during the rain in day time. It was actually quite terrifying

Kalnos

Banned
gundamzeta209 said:
Is rain supposed to keep monsters from dying? There were zombies and skeletons walking around freely during the rain in day time. It was actually quite terrifying

Monsters only spawn in certain levels of light. The sun is blocked out by weather.

Kalnos said:
Monsters only spawn in certain levels of light. The sun is blocked out by weather.

It was sunrise, so I think the monsters had spawned during nighttime and were kept alive by the rain that prevent them from burning alive.

Kalnos

Banned
gundamzeta209 said:
It was sunrise, so I think the monsters had spawned during nighttime and were kept alive by the rain that prevent them from burning alive.

They can spawn in the rain because the clouds block out the sunlight in the tiles it's raining in. It would also keep monsters that have already spawned alive, which was your case.

Top Bottom