• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Kalnos said:
They can spawn in the rain because the clouds block out the sunlight in the tiles it's raining in. It would also keep monsters that have already spawned alive, which was your case.

Notch said he made so monsters don't spawn when it rains. Only the ennemies "kept alive" should be.

Also I think I found my problem. Would it be possible that it doesn't rain at Peaceful?

Kalnos

Banned
Ranger X said:
Notch said he made so monsters don't spawn when it rains. Only the ennemies "kept alive" should be.

Also I think I found my problem. Would it be possible that it doesn't rain at Peaceful?

"During a rainstorm, the moon, sun, and stars are hidden from view, and thunderstorms become possible. Thunderstorms decrease the light level by 8 levels, to light level 7 even in full daylight, which is dark enough to spawn aggressive mobs"

I should of clarified thunderstorms.

Branson

Um, so me and my friend cant connect to our server, the game is .01 and the server is .02 after he downloaded the updated server. Weird.

Enco

Kinda silly if the weather is rare.

Still haven't had a chance to give it another shot. The game is definitely getting better but still feels a bit empty.

Enco said:
Kinda silly if the weather is rare.

Still haven't had a chance to give it another shot. The game is definitely getting better but still feels a bit empty.
I think I'm just gonna wait until we get an actual substantial release before playing again.

BooJoh

Second rainstorm, started at sundown again, this time I didn't sleep and it lasted until 3pm the next day.

It seems to be rare, but honestly it would probably get annoying if it was too common, especially for people who aren't on peaceful.

It would be pretty cool if you could make a weather machine that would create constant weather across an area. That might make farming a little too easy though.

Enco

CoffeeJanitor said:
I think I'm just gonna wait until we get an actual substantial release before playing again.
Same here.

I'm just not compelled to play it any more. Sure building and mining was fun but it gets old.

The game NEEDS:
Mini games
Way more mobs (with real loot such as pre-made weapons)
Pre built areas with loot (although this may be tough to put in)

I don't see myself playing it again if none of the above is put in.

Ranger X

Enco said:
Same here.

I'm just not compelled to play it any more. Sure building and mining was fun but it gets old.

The game NEEDS:
Mini games

I don't see myself playing it again if none of the above is put in.

Mini games? You mean the game needs more systems maybe. Because this is a sandbox, YOU make your games with the systems and behaviors in place. It's the point of the game...

As for pre-build area with loot, what do you mean? There's loot everywhere right now. What else do you want to collect?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Enco said:
The game NEEDS:
Mini games

Mini-games like farming, mining, fishing, cooking and hunting? They're in, or almost soonish. More mob variety could certainly be something, but it'll happen over time. And pre-built areas with loot are in the game. There are caves with moss stone that's pre-built with chests and monster spawners.

Enco

By pre built areas I mean settlements with loot like pre made tools and weapons.

By mini games I mean things that score you points. Not sure how it could be put into the game right now but just having more activities instead would be nice.

The main ones are settlements and more mobs that drop real loot not string and leather..

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Enco said:
By pre built areas I mean settlements with loot like pre made tools and weapons.

By mini games I mean things that score you points. Not sure how it could be put into the game right now but just having more activities instead would be nice.

The main ones are settlements and more mobs that drop real loot not string and leather..
Well, Notch has already expressed interest in all of those three suggestions.

I just get nervous continuing, knowing that new blocks might come out (like lapis lazuli) which leads me to either have to go out of my already searched area to find blocks, or just start a new world.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ergh, the powered track is so much slower than the boosters we were used to using.

cbox

Ok the weather is pretty damn awesome tbh. I was underground and i heard what sounded like really strong wind, went up my stairs and found it was raining. Really cool effect too, and the sfx are awesome

Ranger X

I also wish those settlements are updated sooner than later.

The only thing that worries me is that we probably will have other updates that will cause your world to be obsolete. I really hope Notch would find a way because if those settlements are added, or anything that need to be generated, it probably will force us to create new worlds --- wich I really don't want to do. I am really getting attached to my current game and I would not feel like starting from scratch again.

ConvenientBox said:
Ok the weather is pretty damn awesome tbh. I was underground and i heard what sounded like really strong wind, went up my stairs and found it was raining. Really cool effect too, and the sfx are awesome

Mojang are fucking awesome at sound effects actually. Sometimes I am playing the game and then I start "listening to the sound effects" and realise they are soooo goood!! It becomes even more explicit when you try shit games like FortressCraft wich have horrible horrible sounds. Everything is perfect in Minecraft in matter of sound effects. The tiniest sound is satisfying, everything punching sound on blocks are completely awesome, etc. It just feels great.

Salaadin

I remember that I have a disabled Spider Spawner and am thinking about making a trap out of it so I can get an unlimited supply of string. Any suggestions for the best way to do this? Ive seen so many ideas from cactus traps to water traps to lava traps. What seems to work the best?

Ranger X said:
The only thing that worries me is that we probably will have other updates that will cause your world to be obsolete. I really hope Notch would find a way because if those settlements are added, or anything that need to be generated, it probably will force us to create new worlds --- wich I really don't want to do. I am really getting attached to my current game and I would not feel like starting from scratch again.

Im more attached to the materials that I dug up than I am my world. I dont have anything great...I just have a lot of it. So much cobblestone and then coal used to smelt the cobblestone into smoothstone. I dont want to lose any of it.

I kinda wish there was a shared inventory or at least the option when you create a new world to carry over your inventory...unless this is possible and Im just unaware.

Ranger X

Salaadin said:
I remember that I have a disabled Spider Spawner and am thinking about making a trap out of it so I can get an unlimited supply of string. Any suggestions for the best way to do this? Ive seen so many ideas from cactus traps to water traps to lava traps. What seems to work the best?

The best way is drowning. While lava and cactus pits do work, you will lose some loot. The only way to collect 100% of the item drop is to make a drowning tube that mobs will fall into. You bring them into the tube by water currents. If you page back, I explained earlier how I made my mob grinder. I can help you if you can't figure this whole thing out.

Salaadin said:
Im more attached to the materials that I dug up than I am my world. I dont have anything great...I just have a lot of it. So much cobblestone and then coal used to smelt the cobblestone into smoothstone. I dont want to lose any of it.

I kinda wish there was a shared inventory or at least the option when you create a new world to carry over your inventory...unless this is possible and Im just unaware.

Yeah I also don't want to lose my stuff. This and what I did build with it. I have a nice house, a pyramid, a giant sequeleton and I made a Mario Bros life shroom yesterday. :/

Ranger X said:
I also wish those settlements are updated sooner than later.

It can be done without too many problems. I think that Notch is aware that people spent a lot of time in their worlds, and he'll try to convert the worlds to get new properties.

For example, material it should be as easy as applying the spawn algorithm in existant stones. For other things, like settlements, dragon lairs, etc, he only need to compare the current world with the seed world, and check large chunks of unmodified zones.

Ranger X said:
Mojang are fucking awesome at sound effects actually. Sometimes I am playing the game and then I start "listening to the sound effects" and realise they are soooo goood!! It becomes even more explicit when you try shit games like FortressCraft wich have horrible horrible sounds. Everything is perfect in Minecraft in matter of sound effects. The tiniest sound is satisfying, everything punching sound on blocks are completely awesome, etc. It just feels great.

Yep, but all the good that is with sounds is as bad with textures. Mobs and animals are ok, but material ones are painful to the eyes.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Exano or Mikor, can you check on the status of the Civil Wars server please? I got booted out about 2 hours ago and haven't been able to log back in!

Mikor

Flim Flam said:
Exano or Mikor, can you check on the status of the Civil Wars server please? I got booted out about 2 hours ago and haven't been able to log back in!

We're up and running, folks, server got caught in a timeout loop, sorry.

To the posters complaining about 1.5 updates, I'm sorry you're having to experience the typical "Mojang content update experience" (a.k.a. a few features in, about twice as many bugs). As tempting as I know it is to try out all the new toys, their initial introduction to MC is typically bugged and is normally at best broken and at worst corrupts world saves and player files in SMP. This is nothing new to MC's dev cycle, and it's something long time players (especially SMP players) just have to grow accustomed to - that's how Notch operates. We ARE still his testers, after all.

That being said, I hope everyone who's playing 1.5 single player is enjoying themselves - hopefully he'll increase the chances for weather effects a fair bit so people can actually SEE them every so often lol

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Yep, but all the good that is with sounds is as bad with textures. Mobs and animals are ok, but material ones are painful to the eyes.

Personally I love the texture. It really is an artstyle choice here and it fits perfectly with me. Since the game requires to be very basic graphically to even just be doable and playable, he decided to go hand to hand with the simple graphics by giving them old school early 90s style textures. Very ID software style I would say. I love this retro feeling.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm lucky I haven't been hit by rain, I still haven't finished my house! It needs a good roof.

wow now i see achievements eh....

thank you minecraft for being so fun these last couple of years, after like 200 hours of playing i can finally uninstall it.

webrunner

out0v0rder said:

thank you minecraft for being so fun these last couple of years, after like 200 hours of playing i can finally uninstall it.

Adding an optional feature with no actual bearing on your game? TIME TO QUIT ARRGH

Ranger X

out0v0rder said:

lololol "achievements" can make you stop playing a game? Seriously? You won't die if you don't do them, no one cares you know. And there's achievements in almost every game today anyways (I think it's lame but hey, I simply ignore them. Why would they ruin my gaming?)

I was playing Portal 2 (Steam Version) and I saw that it has archievements, and that ruined the game for me.

I'm going to Metacritics to put a 0 in the user scores.

:p

iamcenok

I can't seem to find any HD texture patchers for OS X, the ones I do find seem to be outdated...

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

bounchfx

out0v0rder said:

wow this is hilarious and sad all bundled into one.

illogical decisions ftw

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone know if Asscraft is coming back online? I keep going to play Minecraft, but I see that the server is still down and I can't seem to play single player anymore.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
out0v0rder said:

What a sad little being you are.

Ranger X

Let's forget the troll and talk about Minecraft!

I am waiting to get home tonight and publish the photos of my lastest sculpture. Mario fans shall be pleased.

Ranger X said:
lololol "achievements" can make you stop playing a game? Seriously? You won't die if you don't do them

Actually, you probably WILL die if you don't do them, as so far they've sensibly been used as a tutorial to ease new players in and get over the hurdle of having to consult a wiki before even having an idea of what can be done in the game in order to be able to meaningfully play it. Our friend here has corretly identified this as being THE END OF MINECRAFT, of course.

Salaadin

Ranger X said:
The best way is drowning. While lava and cactus pits do work, you will lose some loot. The only way to collect 100% of the item drop is to make a drowning tube that mobs will fall into. You bring them into the tube by water currents. If you page back, I explained earlier how I made my mob grinder. I can help you if you can't figure this whole thing out.

Thanks, Ill check that out and let you know if I have issues. Ive read up on it online some too. I think I know what I have to do.

Does anyone with an AMD GPU use RadeonPro for screenshots and cant get it to work with Minecraft? Id hate to have to switch back to Fraps just for minecraft screen but it looks like thats what I have to do.

the only thing I don't like about the achievements is having to make certain types of tools. I don't want a wooden sword. I made a wooden sword solely for the achievement, now it's just sitting in a chest. Why couldn't I get the achievement when I made a stone sword?

Ranger X

JodyAnthony said:
the only thing I don't like about the achievements is having to make certain types of tools. I don't want a wooden sword. I made a wooden sword solely for the achievement, now it's just sitting in a chest. Why couldn't I get the achievement when I made a stone sword?

There will be more achievement added later. Probably that making the other tools will also give an achievement. Right now it's really a tutorial more than a achievement system if you ask me.

BooJoh

Salaadin said:
Does anyone with an AMD GPU use RadeonPro for screenshots and cant get it to work with Minecraft? Id hate to have to switch back to Fraps just for minecraft screen but it looks like thats what I have to do.
Can't you just use the built-in screenshot function (F2)?

Mikor

Eccocid said:
Any news about Asscraft server? Still can't login! :( :( :(
So pointless to play it offline after getting used to multiplayer :(

Join us in Civil Wars!

I ask again to anyone reading the thread, any idea what's up with the OP? Can a mod lock this and have the thread recreated so a member can really, truly actually actively update the OP for more than just a month or two?

Grinchy

Banned
Eccocid said:
Any news about Asscraft server? Still can't login! :( :( :(
So pointless to play it offline after getting used to multiplayer :(

I've been checking it a lot. It hasn't been online since 1.5 and there was the long downtime right before that too. I hate the thought of switching servers, but I can't just stop playing Minecraft altogether. I don't even understand what this civil wars thing is about, but I might have to check into it.

Jasoco

Banned
So, how do you use the new powered rails and detectors? I'm trying to play around but nothing seems to be working. I want to make a monorail system that will be automatic. But I can't seem to get it to work at all.

Gonna Google for some designs. Maybe the forum has some.

Ranger X

That was my yesterday "one evening project". My favorite Mario life shroom, the one of Super Mario Bros 3.

LifeShroom.png

:)

Top Bottom