• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

celebi23

So GAF, I was working on something pretty awesome & that spider creature attacked me. Naturally, my pack of wolves came to my rescue. Just as they were next to me, a Creeper exploded. None of my pets survived :(

Jasoco

Banned
This is weird. I'm not getting the same results as Minepedia. They say one powered rail every 26 blocks would keep it going. I have 9 powered rails in a row down a ramp with a block at the back like it says, but when the cart leaves the 9th rail, it only goes 19 blocks before it stops. And it slows to a crawl way before.

Edit: Ah.. well that's silly. It's 64 blocks for an occupied cart. But only 8 for an unoccupied one? Geeze. Guess I have some tweaking to do. I wanted to make a system that would keep a cart going whether it has a passenger or not.

Jasoco

Banned
Hey, that's neat! If your wolves are sitting near you and you attack a monster, they will get up and attack it for you. That's good to know!

Still sucks about the minecart thing. If I want to make an automatic rail system that keeps going perpetually, I need to use a powered rail a lot more often along the line. They shoud change it to 32 tracks instead of 8. 8 track limit when unoccupied when the occupied limit is 64 is way too low.

Grinchy

Banned
Cranzor said:
Did players have to get their materials legitimately in Asscraft or did they use commands?
AFAIK people only spawn things that you can't get in MP (stuff from the nether). Bukkit hasn't even been up lately but that's fine with me. I like playing vanilla.

You should see the craziness that is Svetey's "hole" with a dome over it. It is weeks of mining.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jasoco said:
Hey, that's neat! If your wolves are sitting near you and you attack a monster, they will get up and attack it for you. That's good to know!

Still sucks about the minecart thing. If I want to make an automatic rail system that keeps going perpetually, I need to use a powered rail a lot more often along the line. They shoud change it to 32 tracks instead of 8. 8 track limit when unoccupied when the occupied limit is 64 is way too low.
Do you need it to be perpetual? You want to be able to jump in at any point?

Might be simpler to build a few stations at your main joining points and have them join the main track.

Eccocid

Cranzor said:
Did players have to get their materials legitimately in Asscraft or did they use commands?

Not everyone has power to spawn materials i think. Since i had admin powers i kinda stopped mining and building and spending my time by exploring in wilderness and doing experiements with TNTs lol

evilgreg

Neo Member
To the owner of Asscraft:

Since the server has been having issues intermittently over the past few weeks, and some of us have invested a lot of time building things on your server, would you kindly upload the map file so that we can download it and at least play it on single player?

Thank you.

Mikor

Pandaman said:
shouldnt you get the server up before inviting people? :p

It's up, Panda. As a previous post of mine stated, it requires you to roll back to 1.4_01 or 1.4 from a copy of the minecraft.jar you have backed up.

I realize its nagging at this point, but the inconsistent delivery of information to the general population of the thread is the reason I continue to be persistent about asking if we can do anything about the situation with the OP. Every server listed is offline or in disrepair, and currently active servers being ran by gaffers are unable to effectively inform the GAF userbase about connection information and any information that pertains to their server.

Perhaps a thread in the community section dedicated to Minecraft SMP, and this thread for single-player and update news? Or moving the thread over to Community altogether?

Blizzard

Banned
Mikor said:
It's up, Panda. As a previous post of mine stated, it requires you to roll back to 1.4_01 or 1.4 from a copy of the minecraft.jar you have backed up.

I realize its nagging at this point, but the inconsistent delivery of information to the general population of the thread is the reason I continue to be persistent about asking if we can do anything about the situation with the OP. Every server listed is offline or in disrepair, and currently active servers being ran by gaffers are unable to effectively inform the GAF userbase about connection information and any information that pertains to their server.

Perhaps a thread in the community section dedicated to Minecraft SMP, and this thread for single-player and update news? Or moving the thread over to Community altogether?
I imagine the thread will get moved to community again, but all that really does is means less people typically see it who aren't already familiar with it, I think. The main problem if no one is editing the OP is that someone needs to make a thread in community who is willing to keep track of the thread and keep the OP updated.

Grinchy

Banned
evilgreg said:
To the owner of Asscraft:

Since the server has been having issues intermittently over the past few weeks, and some of us have invested a lot of time building things on your server, would you kindly upload the map file so that we can download it and at least play it on single player?

Thank you.
Eww, I hope it hasn't come to that.

I'm relatively new to multiplayer on Minecraft. What is a normal server lifecycle like? Do they typically just die off without any mention?

Jhriad

Mikor said:
Join us in Civil Wars!

I ask again to anyone reading the thread, any idea what's up with the OP? Can a mod lock this and have the thread recreated so a member can really, truly actually actively update the OP for more than just a month or two?

Brazil posted on the previous page. I guess he's just not reading the thread very closely or checking his PMs.

Mikor said:

Threads get put into Community to wither and die. Not literally but that's what ends up happening from my limited experience. Might work though. *shrug*

SkanenakS

Neo Member
Game is absolutely amazing and unique. Everyone should try it at least once. I bought it back in Alpha, and have recently got back into playing it. Does get old after a bit, for added fun make your own server and LAN party it up or enable a port in your router and let friends connect to you online and play together :)

Brazil said:
What a sad little being you are.
i am sad

its like i had a nice lil skinny girlfriend, and ya know i didnt really notice that she was putting on 5 extra pounds (or 2.26796185kg for you weirdos) a year.

But after a few years i am now taking a step back and looking at this once beautiful girl who is now a ballooned behemoth. somewhere inside of all this new bloat is the girl i once liked, but i just cant handle it with all of this new fatness. i have to break it off. we had some good times but now i gotta move on, its not you, its me. dont worry im sure you will find someone else who appreciates you for what you are now. there are alot of achievma-trophy whores out there that would love to get in your pants so farewell. maybe ill call you in a year for old times sake.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ok: what do you want in the OP?

I find it hard to keep up with people changing server's addresses, versions, and whatnot.

Give me a list of things you want and I'll update. And if you think the OP has missing information, send me a PM.

Mikor

Jhriad:

I suppose that means I too am not really reading this thread as closely as I should be, and I've no room to complain. Sorry, Brazil!

Brazil:

PM Exano for confirmation on this, but GAFland is dead. I've never logged into Asscraft, so the owner should confirm that his server is down. Maybe a note in the OP that the server might be offline but it is questionable until the owner confirms. Not sure about the other server.

Exano and myself run a server called Civil Wars, server address is **redacted - see OP**. I'll have Exano provide you with screenshots and server information later in the day.

If any other GAFfers are in the thread and are hosting their own SMP servers and would like other GAFfers to join, seems this would be the time to ask.

Brazil

Edit that address out, Mikor.

I'm updating the OP right now.

Also, I don't have new PMs regarding the thread. I'll try to pay more attention to the thread from now on, though.

Edit: Do we have backup files of the dead servers? I'd like to put those up as links in the OP.

Mikor

PM wolfofmebu - I no longer readily have access to the Multiupload link to the GAFland world save. Unless someone else reading the thread has it already, and can forward that address to Brazil.

Jhriad

Brazil said:
Edit that address out, Mikor.

Server is open to the public so it shouldn't be an issue. Mikor might even prefer if you put it out in the open in the OP rather than hidden so that the lurkers can get it. I'd say GAF folk & old GAFland folk are still the majority atm. Also PM'ed you something just now Brazil. :)

Brazil

Jhriad said:
Server is open to the public so it shouldn't be an issue. Mikor might even prefer if you put it out in the open in the OP rather than hidden so that the lurkers can get it. I'd say GAF folk & old GAFland folk are still the majority atm. Also PM'ed you something just now Brazil. :)
Oh, ok then.

And thanks for the link.

Mikor

Jhriad said:

I'd rather users read the OP to get connection info, actually. Brazil put a lot of work into it, and other MC servers hosted by other gaffers deserve to have equal exposure to the community.

Strange, I died and there was a message that my spawnpoint was blocked, and I restarted in the original spawn point. But my bed is safe, non touching walls, and with plenty of space.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Strange, I died and there was a message that my spawnpoint was blocked, and I restarted in the original spawn point. But my bed is safe, non touching walls, and with plenty of space.

Yeah I got that message once. It was "your spawnpoint was destroyed or is blocked" (or maybe they said "bed". You can create this simply by sleeping into a bed, destroying the bed and then killing yourself. You can also put blocks all around your bed that you just slept in, kill yourself and you'll get the message.
In any case, you will respawn some thousand block from where your bed was.

Jasoco

Banned
mrklaw said:
Do you need it to be perpetual? You want to be able to jump in at any point?

Might be simpler to build a few stations at your main joining points and have them join the main track.
See, I just wanted to have an automatic loop with a bunch of carts circling a track. The problem is since they move faster when occupied (illogical and stupid!) you'd end up running into other carts the first time you get in one. If they moved the same speed and could be set to push things out of the way (stupid animals) you could have a sort of Disney World monorail system that was automatic.

But since I can't, I need to devise a sort of collection and dispensing system that woul automatically collect unoccupied carts while allowing occupied ones through. I can use a stone plate, but the cart needs to be moving fast enough. So I am hoping that by using a bunch of boosters right before and right after, I can get it to launch the cart over the switch while using it to determine whether to place it in the queue or not. Speaking of which, I need to figure out how to get the dispenser working too.

If I can figure that out, I won't need as many boosters since only occupied carts will be traveling along the track. I need to experiment tonight after work. I'd be interested in seeing some dispensing systems people have made. I understand you can stack carts, but when I tried it, they just got stuck together. What did I do wrong?

Ranger X said:
Yeah I got that message once. It was "your spawnpoint was destroyed or is blocked" (or maybe they said "bed". You can create this simply by sleeping into a bed, destroying the bed and then killing yourself. You can also put blocks all around your bed that you just slept in, kill yourself and you'll get the message.
In any case, you will respawn some thousand block from where your bed was.

But... I didn't touch my bed or any of the nearly blocks ever...

I have a portal near (6 blocks away) and enemies because is the end of my mob trap (8 blocks away). Maybe this can affect the spawn.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
But... I didn't touch my bed or any of the nearly blocks ever...

I have a portal near (6 blocks away) and enemies because is the end of my mob trap (8 blocks away). Maybe this can affect the spawn.

You mean a nether portal 6 blocks from your bed? Anyways, anything 6 blocks away from your bed shouldn't block anything.

Mikor

animlboogy said:
Don't know what's up with Asscraft... Again. Servercraft has been pretty undependable over these last three updates.

I don't host it myself, so anything that a quick reset command doesn't fix, isn't my fault. I pay monthly to have it hosted.

Anyway, I don't think there has been a single Minecraft server from the beginning that hasn't had intermittent downtime or mod incompatibility or something along those lines in GAF history. That's the nature of this game. Be patient as things get figured out. As I've said several times before, when I'm ready to stop paying, you'll know. If servercraft stops providing services, you'll know. I can't prevent downtime because I don't host the server personally in my home, but, unlike many servers, you'll at least have the guarantee that you'll know in advance when things are going to wrap up.

This is Minecraft. If one server is down, give another a try! If you want consistency, play offline.

Agree with everything said. Please don't forget folks - the Beta tag on the top of the screen in-game is there for a reason - you got to purchase MC for a reduced price in exchange for being a tester. If you are frustrated by the bugs in MC's development preventing you from playing on quality SMP servers, unfortunately all I can say is wait until the game's released. To those of you hesitant to roll back, its really as simple as replacing one .jar file with another. Its really a trivial thing to do, and allows you to move back and forth between latest SP and MP version as you please. The major SMP servers that aren't running pure vanilla SMP will never be updated to the latest version of MC until a few days later, at best.

Grinchy

Banned
^Yeah you are both right. I just wish I had looked into the pro's and con's of playing MP before putting so much time into it. I guess I'm gonna be a single player guy again.

Cranzor

You guys remember FortressCraft? My brother showed me a thread about it on the Minecraft forums and people were actually supporting them. Which I guess I could see... I would never buy it, but if they want to play it for Xbox, whatever. But then they said if it was ported to PC they would buy it in an instant.

Can anyone explain why you would want to play that ripoff over Minecraft? Does it really have that much more features than Minecraft? From what I've seen, it looks horrendous. I thought the trailer was a joke.

Also, I used to be pretty involved in the Halo community and I knew I recognized that Keemstar guy. Here's where hes from... He's the guy talking throughout most of the video. How professional.

Ranger X

Cranzor said:
You guys remember FortressCraft? My brother showed me a thread about it on the Minecraft forums and people were actually supporting them. Which I guess I could see... I would never buy it, but if they want to play it for Xbox, whatever. But then they said if it was ported to PC they would buy it in an instant.

Can anyone explain why you would want to play that ripoff over Minecraft? Does it really have that much more features than Minecraft? From what I've seen, it looks horrendous. I thought the trailer was a joke.

Also, I used to be pretty involved in the Halo community and I knew I recognized that Keemstar guy. Here's where hes from... He's the guy talking throughout most of the video. How professional.

It's horrendous. It's just that there are people bound to like anything really. Nothing to see there I guess.

Cranzor

Ranger X said:
It's horrendous. It's just that there are people bound to like anything really. Nothing to see there I guess.

Awe, all right. I assumed there had to be something in it that wasn't in Minecraft that made it popular.

I'll post something that actually is about Minecraft now :p I found some videos of places from Ocarina of Time a guy made last night and I thought they were pretty awesome. I'll post them.

Kakariko Village
Zora's River/Domain
Gerudo Fortress
Water Temple

I guess his world has everything in the same location as OoT too. So, for example, if you keep going behind Kakariko village, you'll eventually get to Death Mountain and can go inside Goron City. Pretty awesome. He says he uses an editor to make the areas flat, but he builds all the structures one block at a time.

Cranzor said:

I saw a video (that they took out from youtube because of the hate) of the guy screaming and laughing because they were the fastest selling indie game, and it was so damn stupid that I won't give any money to that tard. Even if it was 1000 times better than Minecraft (that is not).

BTW, in my new world I dug until block 12. And I made a very big channels of tunnels, in every direction, and I didn't found any lava pit over me. I found a lot of lava lakes, and ALL of them are just below my level (block 11). Not block 12, not block 10, always just in block 11.

Anyone know if this is a rule of I simply get the amazing luck of finding all the lava lakes just below me?

Cranzor

DangerousDave said:
I saw a video (that they took out from youtube because of the hate) of the guy screaming and laughing because they were the fastest selling indie game, and it was so damn stupid that I won't give any money to that tard. Even if it was 1000 times better than Minecraft (that is not).

Sounds like he's got quite the ego. It's sad how good the game performed, there are much better games the service offers. Oh well.

Jhriad

DangerousDave said:

BTW, in my new world I dug until block 12. And I made a very big channels of tunnels, in every direction, and I didn't found any lava pit over me. I found a lot of lava lakes, and ALL of them are just below my level (block 11). Not block 12, not block 10, always just in block 11.

Anyone know if this is a rule of I simply get the amazing luck of finding all the lava lakes just below me?

Block 12 aka y=13.6

If you look back several pages you'll see that I explained the best place to start mining complexes (and how to build them). 13.6 is where everyone should start mining if they're going to doing quite a bit of it. Yes, most lava lakes will be below that level.

-Mikey-

They need to fix the bug where monsters spawn when you sleep. Doesn't matter where I put the bed or how well protected the house is I still have skeletons waking me up.

Jhriad said:
Block 12 aka y=13.6

If you look back several pages you'll see that I explained the best place to start mining complexes (and how to build them). 13.6 is where everyone should start mining if they're going to doing quite a bit of it. Yes, most lava lakes will be below that level.

Nop, y=12.6 is where I am.

The thing is that all lakes are in the same level. Not a block above, not a block below, so it seems a fixed value.

Salaadin

-Mikey- said:
They need to fix the bug where monsters spawn when you sleep. Doesn't matter where I put the bed or how well protected the house is I still have skeletons waking me up.
Me too. I had to cram my bed into a space where there isn't enough room for monsters just so I can sleep. So annoying

Grinchy

Banned
-Mikey- said:
In my single player save, that used to happen all the time. I designed the room with jack-o-lanterns and torches in such a way that it stopped. After the update, I tried single player again, and the first time I tried to sleep I had things spawning over me.

That wasn't exactly what I'd call a scientific test, but I have a feeling that whatever the problem was before, there is a new and possibly similar issue now (after 1.5). But I'm no programmer.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:

Pure luck. There's lava from the surface until the bottom of the earth. I have multiple lava ponds like that in my seed:

SnowLava.png

BooJoh

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Altitude

If you look at the chart here, you can see that stationary lava peaks between around 5-8 in elevation, with a slight drop after that, and then a sharp plummet at about 10. If you take into account that most lava lakes are multiple layers deep, then this explains why the surface of most lava lakes shows up at or below a certain layer (possibly 11.)

You can also see that diamond (and redstone) is most common from around the base of the lava lakes to about height 17, so if most of the lava lakes are at your feet, you should be in a pretty prime location to find diamonds, with a much lower chance of finding a lava lake beside or above you.

Jasoco

Banned
Still no weather. Booo!

Though I have figured out a dispenser system for my minecart system. Next to create a catcher for when there is no occupant.

Problem is the method you're supposed to use, i.e. using a stone pressure plate, doesn't seem to work right. If there's no occupant in the cart, it goes over the switch without activating it as long as it's fast enough, but if there is someone in the cart, it loses momentum so fast it doesn't even make it over the switch.

Ranger X

Wow, I've been pressing F3 in order to look at my FPS because the game got super laggy. The counter was saying 38 fps.

Conclusion: The FPS counter when you press F3 doesn't give the right info! wow. lol

Jasoco

Banned
Dammit. Even when using a hill with powered rails, if I am in the cart when it hits the pressure plate, it stops immediately. What happened? Did they screw this up? Carts used to pass over plates without problems. Now they lost all momentum the second they leave a track. It's like the last component of my future minecart system. I just want it to prevent rogue carts from leaving without a rider.

Would be better if we could create two kinds of detector rails. One that works no matter what cart goes over it, and one that only activates when the cart it occupied like stone plates used to work.

Think I need to tweet Jeb.

BooJoh

Jasoco said:
Dammit. Even when using a hill with powered rails, if I am in the cart when it hits the pressure plate, it stops immediately. What happened? Did they screw this up? Carts used to pass over plates without problems. Now they lost all momentum the second they leave a track. It's like the last component of my future minecart system. I just want it to prevent rogue carts from leaving without a rider.

Would be better if we could create two kinds of detector rails. One that works no matter what cart goes over it, and one that only activates when the cart it occupied like stone plates used to work.

Think I need to tweet Jeb.
I'm not sure if this still works, but it might be worth a try.
A minecart on a curved track triggers a pressure plate adjacent to the track (think about the cart's corners sticking out) if there are two or more successive curves. (Two curves are needed to get the cart on a diagonal path and thus the edge sticking out over the track. If a single curve is laid down the cart just changes by a 90 degree angle.)
From http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Pressure_Plate

Ranger X

Wow, I just discovered something that made me pass from 30fps to like 160!!!

When I was playing before, I was extending to full screen by the windows itself instead of pressing F11. Looks like when I press F11 the game runs WAY FASTER when in full screen.

o_O

Top Bottom