• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
Wow, I just discovered something that made me pass from 30fps to like 160!!!

When I was playing before, I was extending to full screen by the windows itself instead of pressing F11. Looks like when I press F11 the game runs WAY FASTER when in full screen.

o_O
Wow, definitely trying that out.

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
So? Did it work for you?
Wow why does this work?? I don't care what magic is behind it, my framerate was amazing. I guess I get to play 1920x1200, full screen, far and fancy from now on. Nice job finding this out!

edit: has F11 always done fullscreen for this game? I can't believe this is news to anyone with the game being out so long. But there's no denying that this is substantially increasing my framerate.

Jasoco

Banned
BooJoh said:
I'm not sure if this still works, but it might be worth a try.

From http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Pressure_Plate
Tried it. Was excited when I read about it. But turns out it is now broken. The carts no longer activate corner switches.

It's no big deal. My station just won't have a rogue cart catcher. As long as I don't push the launch button before getting in it won't be a problem. But the game does need to have two different kinds of detectors. One made with a stone plate that only activates when there's an occupant and one made with a wood plate that activates no matter what. Seems to make sense seeing as the detector uses a plate for its recipe anyway. Just let us use each kind of plate.

Anyway, my station built into a mountain is coming along well! It has a departure station and an arrival one. There is no despenser yet, but when it's finished, when you enter the departure area a cart will be dropped for you. Once you get in, you push the button and it launches you off. When you arrive back, the cart will turn off to a arrival track which drops you down into an exit area. Then as you leave the area, a plate is depressed sending the cart off to the collector to be despensed again. I will build one of these at both ends of my tracks and eventually a few more as I add multiple areas to my world. I'm happy with how it turned out now and when it's done I'll post some shots or video if I can get QTX recording well enough. (It works for my Lion recordings. I wonder how well it'll work for MineCraft.....)

Edit: I wish I could reassign the F-key commands. F11 is used for Show Desktop Exposé. I already had to reassign F3 in order to be able to use the debug info. This stuff should be a menu option, or at least let me change it in some sort of config file. (I checked. It's not changeable.) I would even hack my JAR's if I could change their assignments. My kingdom for Minecraft F-key reassignments!

NBtoaster

Grinchy said:
Wow why does this work?? I don't care what magic is behind it, my framerate was amazing. I guess I get to play 1920x1200, full screen, far and fancy from now on. Nice job finding this out!

edit: has F11 always done fullscreen for this game? I can't believe this is news to anyone with the game being out so long. But there's no denying that this is substantially increasing my framerate.

Fullscreen applications always run better. Something to do with Windows having better memory management for fullscreen and not having to render the Aero desktop.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow you are right. It is definitely disabling Aero to fullscreen the game this way. I knew I could F11 an internet browser, but I didn't know that was such a general command for other applications.

On a weird side note, I'm playing in my brand new seed and I was just woken up 6 times in a row but nothing was spawning over me. The bed is at the top of a tall hill surrounded by torches, so I don't know if things are just spawning and falling or what. It just won't let me sleep, though.

BooJoh

I've been using F11 fullscreen for a while, when alt-enter didn't work I just thought since it's playable in a browser maybe the go-to key for fullscreen in browsers would work.

Lately I haven't been using it much though, because I like to switch back and forth, and if I switch to fullscreen then when I switch back the interface buttons stop working properly.

I still can't play on Far though, or else I get frequent black screens.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
Wow, I just discovered something that made me pass from 30fps to like 160!!!

When I was playing before, I was extending to full screen by the windows itself instead of pressing F11. Looks like when I press F11 the game runs WAY FASTER when in full screen.

o_O

! I just press the 'maximise' button, didn't know there was a proper fullscreen mode. It might run ok on my crappy laptop too

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jasoco said:
Tried it. Was excited when I read about it. But turns out it is now broken. The carts no longer activate corner switches.

It's no big deal. My station just won't have a rogue cart catcher. As long as I don't push the launch button before getting in it won't be a problem. But the game does need to have two different kinds of detectors. One made with a stone plate that only activates when there's an occupant and one made with a wood plate that activates no matter what. Seems to make sense seeing as the detector uses a plate for its recipe anyway. Just let us use each kind of plate.

Anyway, my station built into a mountain is coming along well! It has a departure station and an arrival one. There is no despenser yet, but when it's finished, when you enter the departure area a cart will be dropped for you. Once you get in, you push the button and it launches you off. When you arrive back, the cart will turn off to a arrival track which drops you down into an exit area. Then as you leave the area, a plate is depressed sending the cart off to the collector to be despensed again. I will build one of these at both ends of my tracks and eventually a few more as I add multiple areas to my world. I'm happy with how it turned out now and when it's done I'll post some shots or video if I can get QTX recording well enough. (It works for my Lion recordings. I wonder how well it'll work for MineCraft.....)

Edit: I wish I could reassign the F-key commands. F11 is used for Show Desktop Exposé. I already had to reassign F3 in order to be able to use the debug info. This stuff should be a menu option, or at least let me change it in some sort of config file. (I checked. It's not changeable.) I would even hack my JAR's if I could change their assignments. My kingdom for Minecraft F-key reassignments!

wow. All using the new systems or you also using some old glitch boosting? could you post some screenshots/paint drawings/video showing how you put it together?

When pistons get into the game, it will be nice to see how this can be combined with carts. Maybe it will be useful to launch the carts. Also, maybe we'll be able to use it to kill spiders easier in mob traps, using suffocation (pistons in the walls that crush them)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DangerousDave said:
When pistons get into the game, it will be nice to see how this can be combined with carts. Maybe it will be useful to launch the carts. Also, maybe we'll be able to use it to kill spiders easier in mob traps, using suffocation (pistons in the walls that crush them)

you could make a portal test chamber

Ark

Hey guys, I haven't played MC since the end of December last year, but I've got a huge craving and I just want to build some stuff.

Are there any decent vanilla/free build GAF servers? We used to have a good, stable server but we cancelled it because we stopped playing as actively for various reasons.

Mik2121

Ark said:
Hey guys, I haven't played MC since the end of December last year, but I've got a huge craving and I just want to build some stuff.

Are there any decent vanilla/free build GAF servers? We used to have a good, stable server but we cancelled it because we stopped playing as actively for various reasons.
Yeah, I wanna play on a vanilla server with 1.5 in it :(

Jasoco

Banned
mrklaw said:
wow. All using the new systems or you also using some old glitch boosting? could you post some screenshots/paint drawings/video showing how you put it together?
No old style boosters yet. But they may still be required in the future until a suitable substitute is found.

I will post pics when I get home and finish the dispenser.

I'm still thinking it all out but I also plan on making a central junction with switches at each station and power lines under ground to the switcher.

I haven't done teats yet, but providing you have repeaters along the way, how long of a delay would there be on a say 100 meter redstone line? Gonna do a test when I get home.

Ya no

Never played minecraft before but really want to try it out before paying for it. Are there any classic servers that will give me a good idea of what it's like? I'm going to try a few random ones but how big of a difference is there too the 1.5 version now? And if I were to buy it does it take a while to figure everything out? I read through the last few pages and it seems more complicated than I expected

Ranger X

Ya no said:
Never played minecraft before but really want to try it out before paying for it. Are there any classic servers that will give me a good idea of what it's like? I'm going to try a few random ones but how big of a difference is there too the 1.5 version now? And if I were to buy it does it take a while to figure everything out? I read through the last few pages and it seems more complicated than I expected

Forget the classic version. It's so much less than the real game it's not even funny.
Try the demo instead, it just came out and is based on beta 1.5. This is your best bet!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427856

:)

Cranzor

I came up with some ideas for note blocks since as of now they are quite basic. Mainly they revolve around different types of sounds that they could produce. As of now, you can power note blocks with pressure plates, levers, buttons, etc. Imagine if you could attach a string to a note block and another block (possibly 2 blocks for 2 tones) to get a string instrument sound by walking through the string. If you can trigger the blocks with different methods to get different sounds, you could turn each method into a different sound. As I just said, the string method would give a string instruments sound. Pressure plates would give a piano sound and maybe buttons could give a percussion sound, or have a stick set up somehow to hit the note block when a lever is pulled or something. I don't see them adding this in but I definitely think it could be pretty cool for people who like music.

Kalnos

Banned
I have a plain 1.5 server, no mods, that can handle about 30-35 people probably. I'll post the info in just a minute. It has been a thing just for me and a few friends, but it has kinda died down some, so hey, why not.

Thing is, I don't really have any rules or regulations laid out, so please don't abuse it!

EDIT:

Okay, quote this for a plain 1.5 vanilla minecraft server. There isn't really any community here, so don't expect lots of people!

QUOTE FOR SERVER NAME

QUOTE FOR SERVER NAME

If there did turn out to be a decent amount of interest, we could definitely make some rules and appoint some moderators, ones that wouldn't abuse their power preferably.

Mikor

Hey GAF, just a heads up Civil Wars is now up to date on 1.5, and so far everything been going smoothly (but not a lot of players on and updated yet).

Going to PM Brazil now to update the OP.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Kalnos said:
I have a plain 1.5 server, no mods, that can handle about 30-35 people probably. I'll post the info in just a minute. It has been a thing just for me and a few friends, but it has kinda died down some, so hey, why not.

Thing is, I don't really have any rules or regulations laid out, so please don't abuse it!

EDIT:

Okay, quote this for a plain 1.5 vanilla minecraft server. There isn't really any community here, so don't expect lots of people!

QUOTE FOR SERVER NAME

QUOTE FOR SERVER NAME

If there did turn out to be a decent amount of interest, we could definitely make some rules and appoint some moderators, ones that wouldn't abuse their power preferably.

I'll play a little on yours at some point if i take a break from my Anno game. I fancy playing on a server that doesn't have much going on yet.

Grinchy

Banned
I almost started building a place right on that first big mountain by the original spawn point on the Kalnos server. I should really look around more first, though. I'd rather build closer to a more inhabited area.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kalnos said:

EDIT:

Mikor said:
Hey GAF, just a heads up Civil Wars is now up to date on 1.5, and so far everything been going smoothly (but not a lot of players on and updated yet).

Going to PM Brazil now to update the OP.
OP updated.

Cranzor

Just got off the Kalnos server. Where are the trees? :p I ended up blowing up 4 creepers by accident, being sure not to blow up anyones house. I ended up making a hut out of dirt on a mountain and made a giant cactus on top instead of getting coal. It started to rain as I was building :D I'll definitely join back sometime!

Grinchy

Banned
Cranzor said:
Just got off the Kalnos server. Where are the trees? :p I ended up blowing up 4 creepers by accident, being sure not to blow up anyones house. I ended up making a hut out of dirt on a mountain and made a giant cactus on top instead of getting coal. It started to rain as I was building :D I'll definitely join back sometime!
I went across the big body of water by the spawn and it was a really nice forest area with a lot of hills. If you are at the spawn, where that little wood hut is, you swim the direction that the door faces and you'll find the area. I think I'm going to build somewhere in there.

Yeah I was pretty surprised when it started raining, since I haven't even seen rain in my new single player world.

Cranzor

Grinchy said:
I went across the big body of water by the spawn and it was a really nice forest area with a lot of hills. If you are at the spawn, where that little wood hut is, you swim the direction that the door faces and you'll find the area. I think I'm going to build somewhere in there.

Yeah I was pretty surprised when it started raining, since I haven't even seen rain in my new single player world.

Ah, okay! I'll harvest some wood when I join back.

Salaadin

Man, I cant figure out water currents in this game. Monster traps are harder to make than I thought...even with a guide, I still managed to screw it up. 5 hours of building this thing and I have nothing to show for it lol.

Ranger X

Salaadin said:
Man, I cant figure out water currents in this game. Monster traps are harder to make than I thought...even with a guide, I still managed to screw it up. 5 hours of building this thing and I have nothing to show for it lol.

A block of water will extend 8 blocks long. That's why I make square spawning floors that are 8x8 and the intersection of the currents all around the spawning floors are holes so monsters fall into my death pool room.

SpawningFloor.jpg

Ark

Kalnos said:

EDIT:

QUOTE FOR SERVER NAME

QUOTE FOR SERVER NAME

Great! I'll try and pop-in when I have some free time (which is alot now that PSN is down), can't really get on right now though, it's 1 am here lol.

Grinchy

Banned
lol there's something about the Kalnos server that just sounds right.

Does anyone who uses F11 for fullscreen have the problem where they can't select things in menus after leaving fullscreen? I either can't disconnect, or can't select items from my inventory a lot of the time if I leave fullscreen.

Cranzor

Kalnos said:
If you guys can think of a name I will name it, you don't have to call it the Kalnos server
KuGsj.gif

Kalnos' Ragin' Cajun Fingerlickin' Good Minecraft Server

I would join right now but Minecraft is running horribly right now, 7 FPS on tiny.. I'll restart my computer and see if that makes it any better.

I tried Minecraft classic some months ago, but finally I've bought the game because of the demo. After 10 hours of digging, crafting and surviving, this is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I rarely play games on PC but damn, this is so addictive, and there are so many things to do... one more block >_<

fuck-1.jpg

fuck!

Was just trying out the civil war server, seems pretty cool.

Also, from the panicked cries, apparently lightning from thunderstorms can set wooden houses on fire. lol.

BooJoh

Grinchy said:

Does anyone who uses F11 for fullscreen have the problem where they can't select things in menus after leaving fullscreen? I either can't disconnect, or can't select items from my inventory a lot of the time if I leave fullscreen.
Yeah, I always get that. That's why I stopped using fullscreen mode unless I plan on keeping it that way until I close the game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can anyone explain to me what Civil War is about? I stopped play MC after feeling like there's much point to it yet, hoping for an eventual more PVP or PVE-oriented multiplayer mode. Maybe I'd like CW?

Blizzard

Banned
DurielBlack said:
Was just trying out the civil war server, seems pretty cool.

Also, from the panicked cries, apparently lightning from thunderstorms can set wooden houses on fire. lol.
Does the rain not extinguish the fire?

Ark

Grinchy said:

Yeah I get this, it's pretty annoying. Back to just 'maximised' full screen for me.

Kalnos said:
If you guys can think of a name I will name it, you don't have to call it the Kalnos server
KuGsj.gif

GAFcraft?

(So imaginative, I know)

WillyFive

Started playing on the Kalnos server. It's great to start from the beginning, you are not going into an already developed metropolis like the other servers.

But the lag is making the game hard to play. The ground regenerates before I can collect it.

Ark

Willy105 said:
Started playing on the Kalnos server. It's great to start from the beginning, you are not going into an already developed metropolis like the other servers.

But the lag is making the game hard to play. The ground regenerates before I can collect it.

I was getting some lagg too actually, gets really frustrating.

I didn't notice if it was installed already, since I haven't played MC in 4 months, but does the server run Bukkit?

Kalnos

Banned
As far as lag I'm not sure what could be causing it, the server isn't under any kind of strain resource wise and seems to be running fine for some of us.

Also, Ark, since this used to be a small server for just a few Bukkit isn't installed.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:

I get a black screen when I leave fullscreen with F11.
Alt+Tab is your friend.

Grinchy

Banned
I felt like I was getting less lag on Kalnos than I was used to on Asscraft. But I was also online when there were like 2 other people walking around if that makes a difference.

@parasight Animl posted in the last page or 2 that he was having problems with servercraft and that he doesn't have any intentions of letting the server die. In the meantime, gotta play somewhere else though. I'll be on Kalnos.

edit: also, lol since I seem to be learning the basics of Windows usage lately, is there a performance benefit to playing in the browser as opposed to the standalone exe? I've never played in the browser.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
edit: also, lol since I seem to be learning the basics of Windows usage lately, is there a performance benefit to playing in the browser as opposed to the standalone exe? I've never played in the browser.

Browser version for me runs like the .exe in true fullscreen mode (F11) but it does slowdown more when there's alot of blocks around and forming complex envirronements.

In short:

Fullscreen mode >>> Browser version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Expanded window

Top Bottom