• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

I just started the game after a few months, and the walking speed seems to be too fast from I remember. Did Notch make a change in one of the recent updates or is this a bug?

bengraven

I really wish I could afford a server to upload GAFland and keep going.

I've been playing single player on GAFland since it was released, but I can't find myself making anything. Not because I hate playing single player, I loved my old castle which was sadly deleted on accident: I just feel like the world doesn't belong to me. Sure, it's fun to go rob everyone's diamonds (thanks for the diamonds and glass Guy Who Built The Giant Globe), but I feel if I build something I'm just building it on a dead world.

Wait, that's actually kind of cool. It's post-apocalyptic...everyone is dead. I'm the last survivor...

Ranger X

NBtoaster said:
What kind of effect is weather supposed to have on an early alpha world? I just had my first dose of weather but now parts of my world, which comes from before biomes were added, are now covered in snow..it's weird, but very cool at the same time. Was shocked to find snow in a previously completely green area.

Before:
http://i.imgur.com/5Nljb.png
During:
http://i.imgur.com/iGYLn.jpg
After:
http://i.imgur.com/2Gylp.jpg

Yes that's because of the biome logic added later. About the snow though... if you shovel it out again, it shouldn't come back.

NBtoaster

I don't mind it, it looks neat. Curious as to why it choose that particular strip of land (chunk?) to snow on though, I've never had snow in that entire world before. Maybe it's an intended effect of weather to spice up alpha worlds which were a bit one-note in environments before biomes.

Awakened

Notch tweeted about this game in development called Terraria. It looks like a 2D online platformer inspired by Minecraft. It has water that flows properly and a crapload of fun looking items to craft.

Official Site - Trailer

Let's Play - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4

F5fUZ.png

BooJoh

Terraria looks kind of cool, and props to the creators for not making it a 100% MC clone like some others are doing. I dunno if it's for me though, it seems like it'd be hard to build anything with monsters coming in droves Castlevania-style. It would also be nice if they borrowed just a little less from Minecraft (the nether area, for example, just seems a little blatant.)

Even if you think of MC as one of the first in a new genre, other devs should try to set themselves apart, so they can add something to the genre instead of being just another Minecraft clone.

Ranger X

BooJoh said:
Terraria looks kind of cool, and props to the creators for not making it a 100% MC clone like some others are doing. I dunno if it's for me though, it seems like it'd be hard to build anything with monsters coming in droves Castlevania-style. It would also be nice if they borrowed just a little less from Minecraft (the nether area, for example, just seems a little blatant.)

Even if you think of MC as one of the first in a new genre, other devs should try to set themselves apart, so they can add something to the genre instead of being just another Minecraft clone.

Minecraft is indeed a new genre but it seems many people don't really see it. It's one of the first true "sandbox games". And this genre is extremely open and can evolve infinitely. A game doing like Minecraft looks even more silly after you realise this.

parasight

Wow very impressed by Terraria. I love how they really didn't just copy and paste the Minecraft formula. There's a lot of interesting things they did like raid events. There's a great charm to it as well. My only complaint is that things look like they get messy, and it could be hard to comprehend the madness. The UI is also a bit cluttered. But it's definitely a game I plan to try out when it's done. Huge amount of potential.

Mik2121

Hey Kalnos! Why is your server so laggy? :(

Also maybe you should restart the world again now that it's still early on. I mean, there are no trees close and it can be a pain to gather wood across the ocean :p

If you do so, let us know. I'll be playing in both that server and the Creative one listed in the op.

Jasoco

Banned
Still working on my minecart station. Well, the station is done for now. Just need to figure out a good way to stop a cart, allow you to flip a switch if you want, then start the cart again, but have it working in both directions so I can make a central switching station that will let you choose a direction to go. Gonna do some playing around. I am picturing a sort of cloverleaf looking highway style system when it's done. Oh boy..

Grinchy

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Hey Kalnos! Why is your server so laggy? :(
That's weird...you're not the first person to say that. I was on The Kalnos Server™ for a while earlier, and I really didn't see any lag. When I was mining, a block reappeared, but I didn't see anything else.

I'm up to around 15 stacks of smooth stone so anytime you guys wanna start building the city at the spawn, I should be ready.

Mik2121

Grinchy said:
That's weird...you're not the first person to say that. I was on The Kalnos Server™ for a while earlier, and I really didn't see any lag. When I was mining, a block reappeared, but I didn't see anything else.

I'm up to around 15 stacks of smooth stone so anytime you guys wanna start building the city at the spawn, I should be ready.
Uhm. Dunno, I tried to get some wood and the thing would lag so much I just couldn't mine anything.

I will try again in a sec.

Mik2121

Uhm... yeah. I just tried to play in the Kalnos server again and it was quite laggy. I tried to get some wood but every time I finished one block, it'd reappear all the time so I can't collect anything at all..

Hopefully the server gets fixed (?) or someone gets another server or something. I wanna play vanilla mc 1.5 in a new server... :(

Ark

Mik2121 said:
Uhm... yeah. I just tried to play in the Kalnos server again and it was quite laggy. I tried to get some wood but every time I finished one block, it'd reappear all the time so I can't collect anything at all..

Hopefully the server gets fixed (?) or someone gets another server or something. I wanna play vanilla mc 1.5 in a new server... :(

Realistically, the best solution is for everyone to get together and all purchase a ~20 slot server or GAF with a reliable company.

And base the server in a decent place (East coast USA?), I'm connecting from the UK, which why east > west :p

Mik2121

Ark said:
Realistically, the best solution is for everyone to get together and all purchase a ~20 slot server or GAF with a reliable company.

And base the server in a decent place (East coast USA?), I'm connecting from the UK, which why east > west :p
I'm connecting from Japan and I've played on Asscraft for quite a while and never ever had lag issues. Dunno where that server is, but I know there was people from everywhere playing...

Ark

Mik2121 said:
I'm connecting from Japan and I've played on Asscraft for quite a while and never ever had lag issues. Dunno where that server is, but I know there was people from everywhere playing...

I'm not actually getting much lagg on there now, so I don't know o_O

Grinchy

Banned
It's weird, because Asscraft lagged more for me than Kalnos.

Kalnos said he's on the East coast. I don't know where the server actually is, though.

Mik2121

Grinchy said:
It's weird, because Asscraft lagged more for me than Kalnos.

Kalnos said he's on the East coast. I don't know where the server actually is, though.
Weird.

Asscraft didn't lag at all for me and I'm pretty sure it was quite far from where I am. I will try Kalnos' server one more time.

Mik2121

animlboogy said:
Asscraft Update:

I'm thinking of calling it a day with Servercraft. What do you guys think? They're pretty slow at responding to issues lately (probably because everybody with their service is probably making complaints right now!), and, because McMyAdmin literally won't load on any browser for me, I can't do anything to tweak the server. I've essentially paid for nothing but a couple days of uptime over the last two weeks.

So, should we go with the proposed plan above, of chipping in for a 20-man server run by somebody else? Does anybody know of a better host than servercraft?

For now, since I have another month left, I'm going to try my best to get ahold of them and sort this out... I'm just talking about long-term plans.
The server thing sounds like a plan.

A 20-man server would be great, and more than 20 people could donate a bit because I doubt everybody will connect at the same time. And we could also let people who didn't donate join us, to get more people that is.

I've tried playing again on the other server but it just won't work..

Toki1776

animlboogy said:
Asscraft Update:

I'm thinking of calling it a day with Servercraft. What do you guys think? They're pretty slow at responding to issues lately (probably because everybody with their service is probably making complaints right now!), and, because McMyAdmin literally won't load on any browser for me, I can't do anything to tweak the server. I've essentially paid for nothing but a couple days of uptime over the last two weeks.

So, should we go with the proposed plan above, of chipping in for a 20-man server run by somebody else? Does anybody know of a better host than servercraft?

For now, since I have another month left, I'm going to try my best to get ahold of them and sort this out... I'm just talking about long-term plans.

We use Multiplay for our server. Granted, it's a small one (8 person), and we've only been with them for 3 months, but I've had no issues and very little downtime with their services.

Kalnos

Banned
I'm not sure if the issue is server-side, client-side, or Mojang-side on this lag issue. It appears to be working fine for some people located in different places across the U.S. from what I can tell.

I'm not totally against the idea of migrating the server elsewhere, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. Could some of you guys who are getting lag post your connection speed, out of curiosity?

http://speedtest.net/

EDIT: I'm also on a 1 month thing left with servercraft.

Ark

animlboogy said:
Asscraft Update:

As someone mentioned above, Multiplay are actually very good server hosts. We had a 10-man server for MC that was hosted by someone else that I was a mod on, and it went extremely well. The only slight gripe I had was that they took forever to change over to bukkit, and when a patch hit they would take a week or two to fully change over. But the connection and uptime were very commendable.

I actually have a 10-slot Ventrilo server too, which I'd be more than happy to let GAF use, of course it can always be upgraded to more slots if there is demand, the quality is great.

Kalnos said:
I'm not sure if the issue is server-side, client-side, or Mojang-side on this lag issue. It appears to be working fine for some people located in different places across the U.S. from what I can tell.

I'm not totally against the idea of migrating the server elsewhere, but I'm not sure if it's necessary or not. Could some of you guys who are getting lag post your connection speed, out of curiosity?

I get 7mb down and 1mb up, ping of 25ms. That's actually a pretty damned good connection for my area of the UK, since we don't have optical yet.

-----

EDIT: For Multiplay, 20 players is £21 a month. I guess if 4-6 people at least, donate no more than £5 to who ever chooses to host, we'd be sorted.

Mik2121

Kalnos said:

And every time I try to cut down a tree or mine something, the block reappears and lags A LOT. I've only been able to mine stuff like 10 times out of 100+.

I've never had a problem on any other server ever :(

Ranger X

Jesus Christ man, Japan speed!!

Here I have one of the best connection available in the American continent and I only download at 32mb.

Ark

Mik2121 said:

And every time I try to cut down a tree or mine something, the block reappears and lags A LOT. I've only been able to mine stuff like 10 times out of 100+.

Can I have your internet? :(

Kalnos

Banned
Mik2121 said:

Mother of god. Alright, I'll try a different host then. It has to be a host or game-client issue.

Kyaw

I recommend Multiplay. I hosted that said server for 10 from them. They did take forever to update their hMod plugin since it wasn't officially supported anymore. But now they support Bukkit.

I can chip in for a server no problem.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Jesus Christ man, Japan speed!!

Here I have one of the best connection available in the American continent and I only download at 32mb.
It would go even faster if the test location were closer to where I live. But yeah, usually it doesn't give me any problems.

Anyway, Kalnos.. see if the server that Kyaw said works fine. You don't need to pay it all yourself, we can help out (I will see if Paypal wants to work for me, it used to reject my CC before). If that server doesn't seem good enough, you can also ask Timan regarding the Creative server. I've been building stuff there and it works flawlessly.

Kalnos

Banned
Kyaw said:
If a server is going up, i vote for free build with mobs and health damage on. No PvP though.

This is what my server is currently. If I switch hosts I will probably migrate the map since there's nearly nothing there yet, but I don't really want to remove the few things people have already found.

Ark

Kalnos said:
This is what my server is currently. If I switch hosts I will probably migrate the map since there's nearly nothing there yet, but I don't really want to remove the few things people have already found.

I'm not gunna lie, but the server map near the spawn is pretty boring :p

What ever we get should be vanilla with Bukkit imo. Monsters, damage, ect.

Jasoco

Banned
WTF? My game deleted my world. Thankfully I keep backups, so I only lost a few minutes of nothing, but WTF? First time I had that happen.

Mik2121

Ark said:
I'm not gunna lie, but the server map near the spawn is pretty boring :p

What ever we get should be vanilla with Bukkit imo. Monsters, damage, ect.
This.

I don't know what's Bukkit though, so I'd like just plain vanilla setup with maybe a couple commands to see who's online and that's about it.

Otherwise, as Ark said, the starting point is kinda boring and there's something strange someone built above the start, which looks kinda ugly :p
I think you could try out a few seeds and take one that has trees and a few mountains around. And leave the spawn lighted up but with nothing until we gather materials and can build something nice (I'd vote for a train station, ala Animal Crossing. With some Information center that people has to cross to go outside. I think that could be a nice thing to have around and then just build around the station.

Jasoco

Banned
Heh, seems my last backup was right before I started building my experimental switching station behind my regular station. Good. Now I don't have to tear it all down.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
This.

I don't know what's Bukkit though, so I'd like just plain vanilla setup with maybe a couple commands to see who's online and that's about it.

Otherwise, as Ark said, the starting point is kinda boring and there's something strange someone built above the start, which looks kinda ugly :p
I think you could try out a few seeds and take one that has trees and a few mountains around. And leave the spawn lighted up but with nothing until we gather materials and can build something nice (I'd vote for a train station, ala Animal Crossing. With some Information center that people has to cross to go outside. I think that could be a nice thing to have around and then just build around the station.

We could build a city around the spawn, provided the land is flat enough.

Bukkit is great, there's no need to be worried about it. It makes the server much much easier to use; gives you commands to see who's online, server messages, makes the admins/mods jobs' easier, allows for teleports, setting home, warps, whitelists, ect ect.

It doesn't affect the gameplay, only increases the amount you can do with the server.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Played the demo. Built a small sand castle in the middle of a forest. Seemed to stump a creeper or maybe he just thought it was too pathetic to break down.

Pretty interesting game but I'm not really quite sure it's for me yet. I had a ton of ideas for LittleBigPlanet and I just ended up quitting most of them and dicking around in other people's levels.

Grinchy

Banned
animlboogy said:
Asscraft Update:

I'm thinking of calling it a day with Servercraft. *snip*.

I think I would be very willing to donate to the cause. What kind of costs are we talking about? I have no idea what it costs to rent a server. I have a PayPal account if that's how you'd want to do it.

As far as The Kalnos Server™ and the boring spawn, we were talking about building a city there. I have a bunch of stone smelted for it, as does Kalnos. We could build something pretty sweet there. Or, like we were talking about, we could build a massive city in the hilly area across the pond with bridges connecting all the properties. It would be amazing if it could be pulled off, or it would end up crappy and hard to navigate lol.

Ark

Grinchy said:
I think I would be very willing to donate to the cause. What kind of costs are we talking about? I have no idea what it costs to rent a server. I have a PayPal account if that's how you'd want to do it.

As far as The Kalnos Server™ and the boring spawn, we were talking about building a city there. I have a bunch of stone smelted for it, as does Kalnos. We could build something pretty sweet there. Or, like we were talking about, we could build a massive city in the hilly area across the pond with bridges connecting all the properties. It would be amazing if it could be pulled off, or it would end up crappy and hard to navigate lol.

The problem for me with Kalnos' server, is that they've built that giant minecart track in the sky..It's an uber eye sore :p

Kalnos

Banned
Ark said:
The problem for me with Kalnos' server, is that they've built that giant minecart track in the sky..It's an uber eye sore :p

Haha, we're just fucking around at this point. Probably going to change map/host since so many people seem to be having problems.

Don't really know what tier service to look for, probably going to start with a 24/25 person server.

Jasoco

Banned
Random thoughts:

Boosters need to be able to push a cart from a stand still without requiring a block behind it. Just have the cart remember its previous direction. But keep the block feature for one way boosting.

When pistons are implemented, they need to make it so tracks stick to the top of them instead of being launched. This could be used so many ways. Imagine a spring-loaded cart launcher. Or a stopper track that could be raised to stop a cart, then dropped to let it start again. Damn, all it needs to do is let the track stick to the top instead of throwing it in the air like it does sand and gravel.

Ark

Kalnos said:
Haha, we're just fucking around at this point. Probably going to change map/host since so many people seem to be having problems.

Don't really know what tier service to look for, probably going to start with a 24/25 person server.

Like I said, check out Multiplay, they're reliable and their customer service is good too.

Although tbh, as long as it's running Bukkit and it's a fresh map, I'm game :p (just an added thought, could go for chest protection too).

Grinchy

Banned
Sweet...starting fresh on a brand new map sounds very fun. BTW were you looking for any donations if you were to switch providers?

Top Bottom