• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mikor

DurielBlack said:
Was just trying out the civil war server, seems pretty cool.

Also, from the panicked cries, apparently lightning from thunderstorms can set wooden houses on fire. lol.

Yeah you must have logged in right after we upgraded to 1.5 and discovered the hard way that lightning breaks our anti-fire protections. So one of the two currently existing factions' territory, which is built mostly of wood, burnt down. We dont have lightning turned on in server anymore for that reason :X

Ether_Snake said:
Can anyone explain to me what Civil War is about? I stopped play MC after feeling like there's much point to it yet, hoping for an eventual more PVP or PVE-oriented multiplayer mode. Maybe I'd like CW?

Take minecraft, layer atop it an in-game system that handles a player-based economy, guild management (including the ability for guilds to "claim" and protect land, and fight other guilds for the right to take their land away), and skill-based character progression, and that's basically what you've got from us in a nutshell. The server is still going through some growing pains, so bear with us, but we've got a fairly sizeable active population now that logs in daily and is "planting the seeds" for the conflicts/resource wars/etc to come.

If you have any other questions, we have a wiki being put together right now @ ccrthelp.com/civilwars

Jasoco

Banned
Just curious. Why do so many people prefer to use two detectors sandwiching a booster for two-way boosting when it's a lot less costly to just use a single redstone torch either next to or under the booster? Either use 1 redstone torch or 2 detectors which use 6 iron, a redstone pile and a stick. For three boosters you'd be using either 3 sticks and 3 redstone dust, or 6 iron, 1 redstone dust and two smooth stones for a pressure plate.

Seems to make more sense to just use one single redstone torch for each. Save the detectors for other things.

So where can I go about finding the address for the Civil War server? I finally have a bit more time to play Minecraft, and finally have a computer capable of running it. I definitely want to jump in and participate with this shit!

Jasoco

Banned
Stitch said:
i hope in the next update we get dog doors :D
I hope we get smarter dogs period.

Right now tamed wolves have two states. Sitting, and bugging the shit out of you.

They need to be like real dogs. When not sitting they should stay near you, but be smart enough to know that you aren't leaving them. But when you do leave them, they will simply follow you, but stay at a reasonable distance exploring. If you do somehow go too far from them too fast, they will follow, but not until you get at least 16-32 meters. They should learn your main areas and stay in them when you're near them.

And when they're sitting, they should also lie down and sleep at night. And stop barking when sitting and waiting.

And when they are walking around, never walk into the "hit" area of my tools and weapons.

When a monster comes close, bark up a storm and attack it. Or just bark if it's a Creeper. They could be an alarm. Maybe give them a special "WATCH OUT! IT'S A FUCKING CREEPER!" bark that sounds different. Maybe a howl when it's a Creeper. You would then know to turn around and get the fuck away.

Right now they're so bugged out. For some stupid reason as I'm walking, they constantly keep reappearing around me. There's like no leeway. If I walk 10 meters away, one respawns behind me, and one RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME EVERY FUCKING TIME.

And they can't handle hallways at all. They go right through railings and will willingly and constantly walk and jump into fire. I can't leave my fires uncovered. Real dogs are smart enough to not go near it. Just make it so fire represents a solid 1 meter block around that dogs can't walk into. Maybe other animals too, they're also pretty dumb, but the dogs are supposed to be your friends, but they're so stupid! And keep them from walking off cliffs unless the player has jumped down and walked away too. And even then, make them smart enough to use a gradual drop instead of straight fall.

They're so horrible that I keep them sitting permanently on the lawn.

God, im addicted now. Im playing this at work on my laptop during downtimes...(I normally have 6hrs of downtime. :O ) I bought the game legit last night. Gotta support awesome game design.

Grinchy

Banned
^lol! That will happen...

I'm getting somewhat serious about the idea of recreating sets from Saved By the Bell.

YJTcq.png

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mikor said:
Yeah you must have logged in right after we upgraded to 1.5 and discovered the hard way that lightning breaks our anti-fire protections. So one of the two currently existing factions' territory, which is built mostly of wood, burnt down. We dont have lightning turned on in server anymore for that reason :X

Take minecraft, layer atop it an in-game system that handles a player-based economy, guild management (including the ability for guilds to "claim" and protect land, and fight other guilds for the right to take their land away), and skill-based character progression, and that's basically what you've got from us in a nutshell. The server is still going through some growing pains, so bear with us, but we've got a fairly sizeable active population now that logs in daily and is "planting the seeds" for the conflicts/resource wars/etc to come.

If you have any other questions, we have a wiki being put together right now @ ccrthelp.com/civilwars

Sounds good. Does one HAVE to join a Guild permanently, or can I log in and tag along, sort of like solo-ing in WoW?

Foxix Von

It took some time for this to really click with me. I went over to a buddies house and showed him what little I knew and suddenly it just happened. I started exploring a little and realized my world is pretty crazy. I found the reason my world was on fire (theres a pool of lava just about a little bit away from my home), theres all these missing blocks here and there in the ground that lead to massive underground caverns, mountains everywhere and my world has massive stalagmites sticking out everywhere.

I'm now currently undergoing preparations for a massive tree fortress outside of my home @_@

Ether_Snake said:
Sounds good. Does one HAVE to join a Guild permanently, or can I log in and tag along, sort of like solo-ing in WoW?

You can definitely solo, we call it being a nomad. But know that its much harder than joining a faction. If you don't hide well enough, people can find your home and do whatever they want with it. You can pay to lock your chests and whatnot, but if you haven't, prepare to get all your stuff pilfered. Its a rough life being a nomad.

Ugh the storm effects are making it harder to tell whether it's night or not because a bunch of monsters can appear spontaneously. On the plus side, the achievements make it easier to work out the mechanics.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Random thoughts:

Boosters need to be able to push a cart from a stand still without requiring a block behind it. Just have the cart remember its previous direction. But keep the block feature for one way boosting.

When pistons are implemented, they need to make it so tracks stick to the top of them instead of being launched. This could be used so many ways. Imagine a spring-loaded cart launcher. Or a stopper track that could be raised to stop a cart, then dropped to let it start again. Damn, all it needs to do is let the track stick to the top instead of throwing it in the air like it does sand and gravel.

Know what would make my day? To have REAL diagonal tracks and be able to have some number of tracks in the air before needing a support. That would let us make interesting tracks and rollercoaster. Right now the turning is so horrible that I don't even want to make one.
I'd also like a cart that works like the boat. You know, that is sort of motorised in the mean that when you press W you go forward and when you press S you go backward.

Jasoco

Banned
I know, I like to avoid turns when possible, but they're sometimes required. And diagonals just look stupid so I end up doing long straights and 90º angles.

In order to make "stops" on my cart paths, I have to place a 2 block tall cliff with a stopper block and powered rails at the bottom in order to give it something to push off from when you want to start again.

And I also want separate wood and stone based detectors that work like their plate counterparts used to until the physics was changed. No longer can you have a pressure plate act as a track for powering things depending on if there's a rider or not. Now we only have one type of detector. One that uses stone, but acts like wood. WTF, Mojang? This was so obvious, how did you miss this? 1.6 better have it separate detectors. And non-block requiring boosts from a standstill. I would be able to simplify my stations if I didn't need to have drops for stops.

Kalnos

Banned
Someone who was lagging on my server earlier, try this one and give me some feedback here:

Quote here for server:

The seed on there is pretty wild.
KuGsj.gif

celebi23

Here's something that I've been working on for awhile
3093our.png

Hrm, I wonder what could be inside this building made out of Obsidian? I'll be posting screenshots of the inside once I fix some things.

Grinchy

Banned
Kalnos said:
Someone who was lagging on my server earlier, try this one and give me some feedback here:

Quote here for server:

lol I logged in to check it out, that spawn is nuts

edit:
Ark said:
The picture is the :lol

Wow. That's what happens when PSN is down and I don't have a Minecraft server to play on. I start to lose it.

Ranger X

DurielBlack said:
I think they need to disable weather completely.

Because all of AoF just burnt to the ground.

It was spectacular.

Rollback?

How can this happen? Rain extinguishes fires. So even if lightning did strike, you're supposed to be ok.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This game looks fun. My cousin showed it to me and I sightly liked it. Just sightly. Enough that I am studying for a test and imagining what kind of stuff I can build.

Ark

Grinchy said:
lol I logged in to check it out, that spawn is nuts

For some reason your pic wasn't showing up for me though. Didn't know one was there until I quoted. I use imgur too, and I've noticed some weirdness with it. Unless other people can see it and just I can't. I don't have Adblock going on GAF either.

The picture is the :lol

I'm just heading off now, so I'll check the server spawn when I get up tomorrow!

celebi23

Gaf, is there any easy way to get Ink Sacs? I know that you need to attack Squids to get them but, limited air supply & limited field of vision under water does not make this easy at all.

Kalnos

Banned
Willy105 said:
Sorry, still having the same problem.

What exactly is the problem you're having? Things you're mining reappearing? If so, have you left the spawn area?

That's another host on a low-tier plan. I'm trying it out just to see if it works any better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
celebi23 said:
Gaf, is there any easy way to get Ink Sacs? I know that you need to attack Squids to get them but, limited air supply & limited field of vision under water does not make this easy at all.

haven't found one, other than using F3 to home in on them and keep your fingers crossed you don't drown.

I had some spawn in a river which was odd - anyone know the spawn rules for squid, or made a squid grinder?

Grinchy

Banned
^lol it's so accurate it's as if Notch drew it himself

I have 8 or so dogs sitting in my Asscraft house, waiting to annoy me every time I come near them.

Jhriad

DurielBlack said:

It was spectacular.

Rollback?

Ugh. Wonder how much progress I'll lose and have to redo again this time. Guess it'll all be revealed when I get home.

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
haven't found one, other than using F3 to home in on them and keep your fingers crossed you don't drown.

I had some spawn in a river which was odd - anyone know the spawn rules for squid, or made a squid grinder?

As far as I know it's not possible to "grind" squids. They generate once and anywhere with 2 square deep water. Once killed, they never come back.
Seriously, this makes the ink sacs some of the rarest items around.

Mikor

DurielBlack said:

It was spectacular.

Rollback?

No rollback was necessary, the damage wasn't as extensive as the first time. If this happens again, though, we'll likely end up disabling weather for the time being, as the rain did not put the fires out as it should have :\

Grinchy

Banned
This was right by the spawn on the Kalnos test world

G7PA9.png

That would be a crazy location for a huge fort, all hollowed out, with big windows...

Mik2121

Kalnos said:

Quote here for server:

KuGsj.gif
I just tried this server out and it lags in the same way the other did. I just try to mine something, but the blocks keep reappearing..

Grinchy

Banned
Actually, I was just able to get it to do the reappearing blocks on my end too.

Everything was working fine, and I jumped off a cliff. When I respawned I immediately started hitting some grass (no joke there, huh). It was reappearing over and over again and the problem wouldn't go away as I ran around trying other blocks.

I relogged, and let it load for a minute, and it was working fine again. I jumped off a cliff, immediately tried to mine, and the problem came back. Does anyone who has been having trouble want to try letting the game load for a couple minutes before trying to mine?

Mik2121

Grinchy said:
Actually, I was just able to get it to do the reappearing blocks on my end too.

Everything was working fine, and I jumped off a cliff. When I respawned I immediately started hitting some grass (no joke there, huh). It was reappearing over and over again and the problem wouldn't go away as I ran around trying other blocks.

I relogged, and let it load for a minute, and it was working fine again. I jumped off a cliff, immediately tried to mine, and the problem came back. Does anyone who has been having trouble want to try letting the game load for a couple minutes before trying to mine?
Ok, I will do that in a bit.

Edit -

Ok, I tried it. When I first logged in it didn't work. I waited a bit and it started to work. Then I jumped off a cliff and when I reappeared I couldn't mine again, and it didn't fix itself.

Jasoco

Banned
BooJoh said:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Powered_Rail#Stop_Points

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6166579/Stop_Point.GIF

I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to make one of these work in both directions.
Don't like it. I'm all about asthetics. And having the cart stopped on an angle would bug the hell out of my OCD.

The hell I say!

Well, I have finished two of my planned three stations complete with dispensers and launchers. I will post screens tomorrow. I also finished the main part of my midway switching station. I will take pics of it too before I encase it in a building.

Also, those goddamned Creepers need to stop destroying my meticulously designed buildings. I've had to repair them three times so far in three different places. They're always hiding somewhere I can't see them until they sneak out behind me. Clever girl.

One even destroyed my depot and three of my double chests scattering all my items on the floor. I had to shuffle everything around and find some chests to put the items in. It was a mess. He snuck up on me after nightfall while I was doing some last minute inventory shifting before bed. Needless to say I now have a door on that building.

I wish I could take a video without the framerate sucking. Quicktime X has a terrible capture of the game. And all the others for OS X are pay programs with big logos in the middle of the screen. I need a free or cheap screen capturing program.

Grinchy

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Ok, I will do that in a bit.

Edit -

Ok, I tried it. When I first logged in it didn't work. I waited a bit and it started to work. Then I jumped off a cliff and when I reappeared I couldn't mine again, and it didn't fix itself.
Wow, what do you think that is? I've never seen it happen before, but I've also only jumped on a handful of servers. Now I can see why so many people were talking about blocks reappearing.

Kalnos

Banned
Grinchy said:
Wow, what do you think that is? I've never seen it happen before, but I've also only jumped on a handful of servers. Now I can see why so many people were talking about blocks reappearing.

I have been reading some forums and it just isn't these servers having the problems. I'm really not sure at this point.

Ranger X

I had the block reappearing issue at the office and we have an internal server of crazy speed. This sounds like a bug with Minecraft and not on the network's end.

Kalnos

Banned
Ranger X said:
I had the block reappearing issue at the office and we have an internal server of crazy speed. This sounds like a bug with Minecraft and not on the network's end.

Agreed. This thread has proven it's not an issue of player bandwith speed or with the servers themselves. I'm thinking it's a problem with the games client as well.

Mik2121

Is the server client 1.5.02 instead of 01? Anyway, other than that I can't think of anything.

I'm at work now (lunch break) and I've tried a couple times but it just keeps happening all the time. Thing is, it doesn't happen in any other server (ie, Civil War, AssCraft when it was up, or Creative). If it's not because of the server, then, as you said, it might be a bug with the clients (server-side, that is.. because I've tried playing from the browser at work and from both browser and downloadable exe at home and all give the same result).

Jhriad

Mikor said:
No rollback was necessary, the damage wasn't as extensive as the first time. If this happens again, though, we'll likely end up disabling weather for the time being, as the rain did not put the fires out as it should have :\

AoF is on fire as I type this.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
Uh....

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1013&t=23088

If this is true... lol.
I went back to the server, moved far from spawn and nothing reappeared. Went back to spawn and the error happened again. Go figure...

Also:

hmm... spawn area protection feature people aren't really aware about? Interesting. Could be the problem we have. When the problem happened for me at the office I was exactly at the spawning point or very close.

Top Bottom