• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

celebi23

mrklaw said:
haven't found one, other than using F3 to home in on them and keep your fingers crossed you don't drown.

I had some spawn in a river which was odd - anyone know the spawn rules for squid, or made a squid grinder?
Ranger X said:
As far as I know it's not possible to "grind" squids. They generate once and anywhere with 2 square deep water. Once killed, they never come back.
Seriously, this makes the ink sacs some of the rarest items around.
Thanks guys. I guess I'll just keep looking for Black Sheep in the meantime.

Articalys said:
I admit I haven't had much of a chance to play since 1.4 hit.

How true is this?

HGkWT.png
Pretty much what happened with me. Although, I did make a nice doggie house for my pack. Too bad they all were killed by a Creeper :( They somehow got out of the dog house, out of the fenced-in area & right next to me all within about 10 seconds. None of them survived the Creeper attack :(

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
As far as I know it's not possible to "grind" squids. They generate once and anywhere with 2 square deep water. Once killed, they never come back.
Seriously, this makes the ink sacs some of the rarest items around.
I'm not sure about never coming back, but they definitely seem to not be able to move upward, so they get stuck in holes underwater. While making my underwater tunnel I kept hearing a bunch of shuffling noises. I knew it must be squids, but when I finally went to where they were, dropped a Jack-o-Lantern and started killing them, there were a ton of squids there. I ended up with like 50+ ink sacs from just those kills.

I was also playing around with an X-Ray texture pack once and saw a pack of squids in a small underground lake with no entrances.

celebi23

BooJoh said:
I'm not sure about never coming back, but they definitely seem to not be able to move upward, so they get stuck in holes underwater. While making my underwater tunnel I kept hearing a bunch of shuffling noises. I knew it must be squids, but when I finally went to where they were, dropped a Jack-o-Lantern and started killing them, there were a ton of squids there. I ended up with like 50+ ink sacs from just those kills.

I was also playing around with an X-Ray texture pack once and saw a pack of squids in a small underground lake with no entrances.
So, I got something working. I found a small piece of land just below the surface, tunneled like I was mining for minerals. Once I got to the point where I heard that scratching/shuffling noises, I started digging outwards. I placed some glass on part of the opening & torches around the opening. With this way, it was easy to go up quickly & attack them & still have enough time to get back inside before I drowned. As of now, I have 15 Ink Sacs :D

Ark

Mik2121 said:
I just tried this server out and it lags in the same way the other did. I just try to mine something, but the blocks keep reappearing..

I just tried this and it lags for me too. When I mine a block there's about a one and a half second delay between it disappearing and appearing as an item I can pick up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The lag/blocks reappearing, along with giant missing parts of the landscape is really annoying.

I'm not a programmer, but surely minecraft shouldn't be a network-heavy game? Most of the time you'll be more than a chunk away from other players and it shouldn't be critical to sync blocks rapidly

Ark

To be honest, I'm almost certain it's a server side problem, not a Minecraft problem.

I've gone onto a few Minecraft servers via the Minecraft forums, and all of them work fine for me and the other 20+ people that were there.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
Yep. It has to be something server client-side. Many other servers work flawlessly, so...

We just need a reliable host, like I said before, someone should give Multiplay a try.

Ranger X

But did you try digging at the spawn area on a server that works fine?

This you would get rid of the question as to know if there's some spawn area protection now. I really want to believe it's only a server issue but it doesn't explain why at my office, on a super server that is really freaking fast, I still got the reappearing block issue near the spawn.

Ark

Ranger X said:
But did you try digging at the spawn area on a server that works fine?

This you would get rid of the question as to know if there's some spawn area protection now. I really want to believe it's only a server issue but it doesn't explain why at my office, on a super server that is really freaking fast, I still got the reappearing block issue near the spawn.

I did so on the servers that let me, and it was 100% fine.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
So my office's server might be at 1.5.01 instead of 1.5.02 I suppose...
You have to change one line in one of the files in the server client for it to let you dig around the spawn area.

Salaadin

For a smaller server for just me and 2 or 3 friends, all I need to do is download Minecraft_Server.exe from the website, open the necessary ports and config that text file properly and Im good to go? Then I can just give my friends the right address and they should be able to connect?

Mik2121

Kalnos said:
Agreed. This thread has proven it's not an issue of player bandwith speed or with the servers themselves. I'm thinking it's a problem with the games client as well.
I've been playing earlier for a while. The server seems to work just fine, even though there's some slight lag. For now we can stay here until we find a better host. But we need to make soon something around the spawn (something like a train station!) with a sign telling people they can't dig/mine there.

I will go back in a bit and continue gathering materials. I don't remember where the spawn is so it will take a while to find the spot to build the station, but oh well.. :p I have a house close to it, anyway.

Also we should have some design rules. Like, all the stuff around the station should be made of wood, or we need to make paths with stairs and whatnot to all the areas, etc..

I'll try to find the spawn and put lights around there.

Mik2121

Ark said:
Is it really a good idea to start building if Kalnos is trying new hosts?
He can easily just bring the world save data to another server. And this world seems quite interesting!. Btw I'm playing in the last one he posted, not the first one..

Mik2121

I started building a small cabin on the top of one of the mountains near the spawn in Kalnos' server. You guys should join too!. The adress is in the last page (100ppp anyway).

Neo Child

Banned
So just got this game with the intention of setting up a mutliplayer game with my girlfriend so we can explore on our own. How do I go about doing this? I run the server and try to connec to to 'localhost' on my machine but it wont connect. Im running Windows 7. Any help?

It just says 'Lost Connection End of Stream' in the Minecraft Window, and the Server window says '*lots of numbers* lost connection'

Mikor

Kalnos said:
Agreed. This thread has proven it's not an issue of player bandwith speed or with the servers themselves. I'm thinking it's a problem with the games client as well.
Apologies for not reading the posts following, but are you certain its just not spawn protection? Player's can't typically alter blocks within a 16 blocks from the spawn or so, and that needs to be changed server-side.

If anyone's ever wondering about lag (and this goes for ALL games, not just MC) on a MP server, take a second to run tracert @ the command prompt in windows, and run it to the server address. You might have some nodes that are dumping packets, making it the fault of neither yourself nor the server, but in fact the fault of the ISP & the way it's mapped your connection to the server.

Kyaw

Guys, is there any servers that are going up that people are going to be using?

If not, i am willing to rent a server from Multiplay for 20 player slot.
Its £28 for monthly and equivalent of £21 for 12 months up front pay which equates to £252.
If you guys can donate some amount monthly via paypal i can host one asap.

LordAlu

Neo Child said:
So just got this game with the intention of setting up a mutliplayer game with my girlfriend so we can explore on our own. How do I go about doing this? I run the server and try to connec to to 'localhost' on my machine but it wont connect. Im running Windows 7. Any help?

It just says 'Lost Connection End of Stream' in the Minecraft Window, and the Server window says '*lots of numbers* lost connection'
All I did was download the Minecraft_server.exe and run it, wait for it to create a new world and spawn points, then in my own Minecraft I put the IP to join as "127.0.0.1". Other machines on my LAN could connect to the server using my internal IP address (192.168.0.whatever-yours-is).

Jasoco

Banned
I don't suppose the Minecraft server will work on a PowerPC Mac? Even if it's 1.24GHz? I have an old mini and would love to play around with having my own server, but I don't want to run it on the one Intel Mac I have and I don't have any PC's lying around.

Salaadin

Is the Minecraft demo essentially the full game with a time restriction? My brother kinda wants to play but he wants to see how well his so-so HP desktop will run it first. I think he should be ok. These are the specs:

• Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E5400 [2.7GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB]
• 3GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
• 750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

Ranger X

Salaadin said:
Is the Minecraft demo essentially the full game with a time restriction? My brother kinda wants to play but he wants to see how well his so-so HP desktop will run it first. I think he should be ok. These are the specs:

• Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E5400 [2.7GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB]
• 3GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
• 750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]

It should be fine. And yes the demo is the full game with sort of a time restriction. You have 1 hour and a half per world. You can however create as many worlds as you'd want.

Kuran said:
If he passed the 2 million sales mark, why is he moving developers OFF Minecraft? That is just insulting.

Their dev planning for Minecraft didn't change. What this the source of your claim? I think Mojang is expanding more than anything. Also, since the core of the game is done, they might not actually need as many progs as before to continue improving/adding stuff.

Ark

Jasoco said:
I don't suppose the Minecraft server will work on a PowerPC Mac? Even if it's 1.24GHz? I have an old mini and would love to play around with having my own server, but I don't want to run it on the one Intel Mac I have and I don't have any PC's lying around.

Why don't you want to run it on your Intel Mac? I'm not sure if it'll work on a PPC Mac, but damn boy, those things are old. I don't even think my old PPC G5 will start up anymore.

Salaadin said:

He should be more than fine, MC is designed to run on most home PC's.

Kalnos

Banned
Mik2121 said:
I've been playing earlier for a while. The server seems to work just fine, even though there's some slight lag. For now we can stay here until we find a better host. But we need to make soon something around the spawn (something like a train station!) with a sign telling people they can't dig/mine there.

Yeah, looking at it again, the server is running 1.5. I'm guessing it's an experimental build for the server. I could try reverting to 1.4 for the time being to see if it's more stable.

Salaadin

Ferrio said:
I call shenanigans, creeper would of exploded.
Do they explode when theyre in "chill out" mode. Ive had several creepers just stand there and watch me like the one in that gif but I was never THAT close either. I always keep my distance whether they chase me or not.

Ark

Salaadin said:
Do they explode when theyre in "chill out" mode. Ive had several creepers just stand there and watch me like the one in that gif but I was never THAT close either. I always keep my distance whether they chase me or not.

You can NEVER be too far away from a creeper...

---------

Guys, if we were to get a Minecraft server, who would actually play, and who would be willing to donate if the server was to upgrade from 10 players, to 15 for example?

Zomba13

Ark said:
You can NEVER be too far away from a creeper...

---------

Guys, if we were to get a Minecraft server, who would actually play, and who would be willing to donate if the server was to upgrade from 10 players, to 15 for example?
I'd play on a fresh server and possibly donate if I could via pay pal or something.

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
Why don't you want to run it on your Intel Mac? I'm not sure if it'll work on a PPC Mac, but damn boy, those things are old. I don't even think my old PPC G5 will start up anymore.
Because my Intel mini already handles encoding, torrenting, media viewing, media streaming and backing up of numerous things. I don't need to add a game server that would work better with nothing else running.

If there was a PPC version I could run on my other mini, it'd be just a server for a world for playing around and testing.

Ark

Zomba13 said:
I'd play on a fresh server and possibly donate if I could via pay pal or something.

Awesome!

I'm thinking of purchasing a 10-player MC server via Multiplay with a 10-slot Vent (since it's 50% with multiplay), possibly towards the end of the week?

Mods included would be things like Bukkit, world edit, world guard, chest protection, ect. Mostly anti-griefing measures, because I hate being griefed..

What does everyone think? I mean personally, I just want to get building.

Jasoco said:
Because my Intel mini already handles encoding, torrenting, media viewing, media streaming and backing up of numerous things. I don't need to add a game server that would work better with nothing else running.

If there was a PPC version I could run on my other mini, it'd be just a server for a world for playing around and testing.

Fair enough. I think the server hosting for Mac & Linux is actually a Java thing, so it should work.

Salaadin said:
Is clay one of the rarer materials? I really want to make some brick...

It can be, from what I've seen you have to check alooooooooooooot of coastline to find some. I'd just watch around as you go about your tasks until you have enough, like I did.

Kyaw

Ark said:
I'm thinking of purchasing a 10-player MC server via Multiplay with a 10-slot Vent (since it's 50% with multiplay), possibly towards the end of the week?

Mods included would be things like Bukkit, world edit, world guard, chest protection, ect. Mostly anti-griefing measures, because I hate being griefed..

What does everyone think? I mean personally, I just want to get building.

I'm in as you know.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jasoco said:
Try it? I don't think the server has high demands, especially if its only for a few friends. I run mine on a 2 GHz intel mini with 2Gb ram, and with three of us on it's using around 300MB and 10% CPU. That is also my PLEX/DVD ripping/sabnzbd machine. Installed bucket and world edit no problem (although it's now vanilla as my kids wanted 1.5 for the new mine carts)

You should be able to run it on the intel machine easily though without it affecting things. Encoding might be a bit slower but not much, and how often do you do that anyway? As for torrents/newsgroups, well that'll be hammering your network so might impact performance no matter what machine is running the server (just throttle it a little to give MC some bandwidth)

Its java so shouldn't be limited to intel macs. However it may require eg java 1.6, which might not be available on the PPC platform

kai3345

Banned
So I patched up to the most recent patch and have played for about an hour and a half and have yet to see any weather effects or wolves. what gives :/

this is on a new world started jsut today after I patched btw

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
Their dev planning for Minecraft didn't change. What this the source of your claim? I think Mojang is expanding more than anything. Also, since the core of the game is done, they might not actually need as many progs as before to continue improving/adding stuff.
The source was the tumblr blog post. http://notch.tumblr.com/post/4928142990/information-dump-again

First of all, Jens got temporarily moved to a new project, so I’m on my own on Minecraft for a while (not sure how long..). It feels scary, but he’s right across the desk from me. Thank you for your work so far, Jens, I know both the community and I really appreciate all your hard work. :-D

Jens was working on integrating/tweaking the Piston mod, which will probably get delayed as a result of this. We don’t want to just add it as-is because it doesn’t quite feel “fantasy” enough, and there’s a lot of corner cases we need to solve.

I sort of agree that it's a bit disheartening that they're moving one of the main programmers off of Minecraft, and that they openly admit it's going to have an affect on Minecraft's development and delay features in the immediate future.

On the other hand, I'm content knowing that Notch is still working on it, and the map feature sounds pretty cool.

Top Bottom