• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Atomski

Salaadin said:
Is clay one of the rarer materials? I really want to make some brick...
It is a pain to find. But once you do there tends to be a ton of it. Walk around water edges and eventually you will find some.

Ranger X

BooJoh said:
The source was the tumblr blog post. http://notch.tumblr.com/post/4928142990/information-dump-again

I sort of agree that it's a bit disheartening that they're moving one of the main programmers off of Minecraft, and that they openly admit it's going to have an affect on Minecraft's development and delay features in the immediate future.

On the other hand, I'm content knowing that Notch is still working on it, and the map feature sounds pretty cool.

Ok, the poster made it sound like Minecraft devs were ramping down. According this twitter there, it's just one guy going away temporarily. This is entirely different and it's also part of everyday life in software devellopment.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't care if the piston doesn't match the feel. I still want it. I want MC to be a unique world, not modeled after ours. I mean it has Redstone! Which doesn't exist. In order to create power! So a piston would be nothing.

Personally, I think they should go Steampunk for some stuff. Just throw everything into the game.

I'd still love to see some sort of elevators... How I see it, you have a lift block and an elevator pad. The lift blocks are stacked up as high as you want it to go, and a lift pad is set next to it. It can be powered by redstone. When on, it lifts. When off, it lowers? I dunno. Maybe it could have stop blocks along the way where it would pause. Then you could use a lever. Flip it up to go up. Down to go down. Oh my, such a good idea. I don't care if it wouldn't fit the feel. Let the player decide whether or not to implement it. It's not like MC is stuck in any one timeframe anyway.

mrklaw said:
Try it?

You should be able to run it on the intel machine easily though without it affecting things.
Edit: Success. It works. Now, what stuff doesn't work on multiplayer? I can't remember. Off to look it up...

Questions: A) Do I have to stick with the world I am given on a server, or can I use one I already have? B) Does it save changes to the disk, or does it delete all memory when it is quit?

I think I might play around with this for a while. If anyone wants to test it out, just don't build anything you want to keep, quote this post for the IP:
QUOTE ME

Let me know if it works. I want to see what is going on with this..

It's not permanent. But it is an experiment for now. I just want to do some tests. By no means am I trying to compete with GAF, but I want to test the load on my computer and network.

Jasoco

Banned
I'm not having any problems connecting to anything.

Also, cool. I set the time to 0 and logged in and it's pouring rain now. Awesome. Only the second time I've ever seen rain.
KuGsj.gif

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Ok, the poster made it sound like Minecraft devs were ramping down. According this twitter there, it's just one guy going away temporarily. This is entirely different and it's also part of everyday life in software devellopment.
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't because there are only two programmers and the staff went down by 50%!. Anyway, what I'm surprised is with the lack of updates with small items and watnot. Really, I'm having a hard time thinking it would be that hard to update with new furniture just for the visuals (see Animal Crossing), new food to cook, etc...

Oh well :/

Mik2121 said:
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't because there are only two programmers and the staff went down by 50%!. Anyway, what I'm surprised is with the lack of updates with small items and watnot. Really, I'm having a hard time thinking it would be that hard to update with new furniture just for the visuals (see Animal Crossing), new food to cook, etc...

Oh well :/

Your probably right that cosmetic stuff could be added fairly quickly, the problem is the staff is so small that even doing little things would take away time from the bigger projects (pistons, weather, etc). He definately needs more staff.

Anyone familiar with texture pack editing? Previous to 1.5 I was able to edit a texture pack to my liking, such as switching a few textures from another pack I liked. However with 1.5 when I select my edited version it doesn't apply to the game it just resets to default textures. Any idea what happened in 1.5 that changed this?

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. I'd love to be able to craft multitudes of decorations. Furniture and stuff. Just to make our huge castles look less lonely.

Chairs that you right-click on to sit in.

I'm surprised they didn't update with easter eggs that would only be laid around Sunday but would otherwise just act like eggs. Or hell, just keep them in like the pumpkins. I mean it's not Halloween anymore, but you can still find pumpkins all the time.

I wonder what the secret project is. I assume it has nothing to do with MC? But does it have anything to do with Scrolls? Or something else? I still say implement the pistons as-is, and fix it later. I mean it is a beta after all. If they work right, they could be the best thing ever. I'm imagining a correctly timed piston being activated by a minecart launching it into the air only to land on another track up a cliff and keep on going. IF it works perfectly. That would be so awesome. I mean they can already be used as makeshift elevators.

Salaadin said:
Is clay one of the rarer materials? I really want to make some brick...
SatelliteOfLove said:
It can be, from what I've seen you have to check alooooooooooooot of coastline to find some. I'd just watch around as you go about your tasks until you have enough, like I did.
Atomski said:
It is a pain to find. But once you do there tends to be a ton of it. Walk around water edges and eventually you will find some.
Hint: gravel + water. Your minds will be blown.

Jasoco

Banned
This is so weird. I have never come across land like this. It's like it stripped the dirt from the stone then scattered trees about. Notice the tree in the middle of the dirt island. No grass or anything.
xWbwk.jpg

It's on my server at: -366, 72, 917

Mik2121

DurielBlack said:
Your probably right that cosmetic stuff could be added fairly quickly, the problem is the staff is so small that even doing little things would take away time from the bigger projects (pistons, weather, etc). He definately needs more staff.
Yup. Hell, the community is already doing a ton of stuff. Get some sort of license agreement in there and just adopt the best stuff from the community into the vanilla game.
I'm not asking for stuff that's just out of place like flying and shit, but for example what someone posted above - gravel + water giving you clay.

Also more animals, please!. The world is full of cows, pigs and sheep....

Jasoco

Banned
I think he should just hire all the best modders. They don't even have to move to Sweden (Right away), just put them on the payroll and make the best mods a permanent part of the game. Not all mods, but the best ones. And have them keep doing their stuff. I mean they're not all one-note wonders. They can really create some cool stuff. Heck, if he's having trouble creating a Mod API, why not just hire the ModLoader guy? Make that the official Mod API.

WillyFive

Jasoco said:
This is so weird. I have never come across land like this. It's like it stripped the dirt from the stone then scattered trees about. Notice the tree in the middle of the dirt island. No grass or anything.

Looks like what happens after lava cools down in real life.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
Yup. This game is also screaming for collectibles.

Put more kinds of mushrooms and plants and let me collect them (and add some small info about them too!), also stuff like bones or stones or something. Dunno, but there can be so much stuff that could be added and would be so cool...

Oh and I liked this idea from the Minecraft forums:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=312390

That's awesome indeed!
And expanding on that collecting idea... There would be some kind of a goal to that collecting to be relevant or else you can already collect whatever you want to collect.
We are sadly far from having a fauna and flora diverse enough so "real" collecting would naturally happen -- the only true relevant way of collecting in the sandbox genre imo.

Jasoco said:
xWbwk.jpg

It's on my server at: -366, 72, 917

My "home" single player seed has a ton of this here and there in every direction but south of spawn (which is a huge desert archipelego).

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
That's awesome indeed!
And expanding on that collecting idea... There would be some kind of a goal to that collecting to be relevant or else you can already collect whatever you want to collect.
We are sadly far from having a fauna and flora diverse enough so "real" collecting would naturally happen -- the only true relevant way of collecting in the sandbox genre imo.
I don't know. Maybe they could add a few texture packs for furnitures ala Animal Crossing to increase the amount of stuff to collect. Of course, stuff that fits the MC world (wooden furniture, stone medieval furniture, etc..) and no detailed stuff because it could clash against the simpleness of the rest of the game. But I think if done correctly, it could be a lot of fun.

Salaadin

Running just a basic, vanilla server, is there a way to remove the whole respawning blocks near the spawn point thing?

I found my first batch of clay and its RIGHT on the spawn point. I cant dig it up :(

Mik2121

Salaadin said:
Running just a basic, vanilla server, is there a way to remove the whole respawning blocks near the spawn point thing?

I found my first batch of clay and its RIGHT on the spawn point. I cant dig it up :(
Go to the property file in the server folder and turn the spawn-protection to 0. If this doesn't work, the plugins/mods are causing this.

Grinchy

Banned
It seems like a lot of people want to host a vanilla server, which is awesome, but it's getting somewhat confusing. Maybe if the people who wanted to donate could say so in bold, it would be easier for a single host to emerge. I just can't donate to more than 1 server because I will likely only play on one. So something like:

I am willing to donate to a vanilla server, and can do so via PayPal.

Whether it's animl, kalnos, kyaw, or anyone else who wants to host, at least they could see how much donation interest there is out there. It would be really cool to see a fresh new server with a bunch of people immediately invested.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I was until recently managing a 16 player server. All the players stopped logging in so I shut it down. If you guys need some help setting it up or whatever, I can help out a touch.

Though, it's not too hard.

Grinchy

Banned
I mean, Animl still has Asscraft, which is an awesome server. It's like the Minecraft equivalent of the first girl I had sex with. I'll always remember it as being more unique than the rest that follow, and I'll secretly fap to memories of it later...ok wait I didn't really mean that last part LOL

Stahsky

Grinchy said:
I mean, Animl still has Asscraft, which is an awesome server. It's like the Minecraft equivalent of the first girl I had sex with. I'll always remember it as being more unique than the rest that follow, and I'll secretly fap to memories of it later...ok wait I didn't really mean that last part LOL

I've actually never logged onto a GAF MC server before. I don't think I've ever played any game with a GAFer before, actually..

BooJoh

So I just checked my stats page, and noticed that it says I've played 0.69 days.

That means I've played roughly 17 hours of Minecraft since 1.5 hit, and I've seen rain twice. I think it's safe to say weather needs to be increased in frequency a little. I'm not sure if sleeping decreases your chances of seeing weather, but I'd hope not.

According to http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Weather Weather occurs about every 7 Minecraft days, but it's been far longer for me so far.

Mik2121

Grinchy said:
I feel you. Asscraft was my first server too. But it has (had?) way too much stuff already and people was building pretty far away.

A new server would be like your first virgin girl. Special on it's own way. (???)

Grinchy

Banned
Mik2121 said:
I feel you. Asscraft was my first server too. But it has (had?) way too much stuff already and people was building pretty far away.

A new server would be like your first virgin girl. Special on it's own way. (???)
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I would love to deflour a new world (creepy enough?).

I actually liked the fact that Asscraft was a ton of shit spread out. The world could be used for a long time, with new joiners building on what's there already. I guess I like the idea of both approaches, but it would be really cool to start a world.

KillerAJD

BooJoh said:
So I just checked my stats page, and noticed that it says I've played 0.69 days.

That means I've played roughly 17 hours of Minecraft since 1.5 hit, and I've seen rain twice. I think it's safe to say weather needs to be increased in frequency a little. I'm not sure if sleeping decreases your chances of seeing weather, but I'd hope not.

According to http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Weather Weather occurs about every 7 Minecraft days, but it's been far longer for me so far.
I don't know what's up, but I've seen rain EVERY time I've logged onto the Civil Wars server, lol. I mean, within minutes, it has started raining every time I log in.

Jhriad

KillerAJD said:
I don't know what's up, but I've seen rain EVERY time I've logged onto the Civil Wars server, lol. I mean, within minutes, it has started raining every time I log in.

I've been on the server for like 2 hours now and probably an hour of it has been in the rain.

Jasoco

Banned
BooJoh said:

More variations in weather would be nice too. Like light rain and snow flurries. Flurries would make snow and ice form slower and light rain would just be light rain.

I'm still holding out for seasons. I mean, since biomes, it would simply be a palette shift on grass and leaves. At least for fall, spring and summer. Maybe make it so leaves are replaced with branches during the winter and when it happens, all the leaves fall off the trees into piles of saplings at the base.

I dunno. Maybe not. But lighter and more frequent weather would be nice.

Mik2121

Jasoco said:
More variations in weather would be nice too. Like light rain and snow flurries. Flurries would make snow and ice form slower and light rain would just be light rain.

I'm still holding out for seasons. I mean, since biomes, it would simply be a palette shift on grass and leaves. At least for fall, spring and summer. Maybe make it so leaves are replaced with branches during the winter and when it happens, all the leaves fall off the trees into piles of saplings at the base.

I dunno. Maybe not. But lighter and more frequent weather would be nice.
Yeah.. the last part sounds quite complex compared to what they usually add.

But some palette changes to imply the change of seasons and more frequent snow in winter, etc... could be a nice touch.

Salaadin

When running a server, does the game save just like it does in single player? If every logs of, theyll start right back up where they left off when they re-join? And I dont need to do anything additional to save it? Its just good to go?

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
I don't know. Maybe they could add a few texture packs for furnitures ala Animal Crossing to increase the amount of stuff to collect. Of course, stuff that fits the MC world (wooden furniture, stone medieval furniture, etc..) and no detailed stuff because it could clash against the simpleness of the rest of the game. But I think if done correctly, it could be a lot of fun.

This would simply be a question of adding crafting receipies for making all sort of furnitures and decorations. This could easily be added.

And for all the people here that wish mods would become official sometimes, don't you guys remember Notch is preparing for having a modding feature (or whatever I am supposed to call that) in the game? This means people will make "legit mods", probably more easily and they will be fully compatible therefore almost official.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
This would simply be a question of adding crafting receipies for making all sort of furnitures and decorations. This could easily be added.

And for all the people here that wish mods would become official sometimes, don't you guys remember Notch is preparing for having a modding feature (or whatever I am supposed to call that) in the game? This means people will make "legit mods", probably more easily and they will be fully compatible therefore almost official.
Yeah, adding crafting recipes and the actual 3d models (and maybe one or two interactive stuff like maybe being able to store stuff in closets or sit down in a chair or sofa) shouldn't take all that long. But right now it seems like it's only Notch working on this, with that artist guy maybe or maybe not helping, and the other programmer busy with something else.

As for the mods, I think what people want is the major mods to become part of the vanilla game, not just simply official mods.

Stahsky

Salaadin said:
When running a server, does the game save just like it does in single player? If every logs of, theyll start right back up where they left off when they re-join? And I dont need to do anything additional to save it? Its just good to go?

It will save it unless you abruptly reset the server while people are on. They will lose their inventory. There is also a force save-all function through bukkit I believe.

There are a massive amount of commands that you need to be aware of when running a server, as well as specific plugins that make your job (managing the server) a ton bit easier. I would not suggest buying a server on impulse. Read up on it or test it on a private server on your own IP. It's easy to set up a vanilla server on your IP, but it's not very good for holding many people.

Edit: Like I mentioned before, I've had experience with this as I just recently shut down a 16 player server. If you got any questions feel free to PM!

Mik2121 said:
As for the mods, I think what people want is the major mods to become part of the vanilla game, not just simply official mods.

Reason being because of Updates completely trashing plugin essentials. I've had to wait nearly a week a couple of times to get my server back up and running.

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
Except Notch is having second thoughts about the whole idea lately, meaning at least for now, modding will probably stay the way it is for a while.

http://notch.tumblr.com said:
One slightly bad news item is that I’m starting to get second thoughts about the modding API. People are already doing great mods, and there’s no way we’d be able to make an API good and dynamic enough to support all of the awesome things people are making. I still very much want modding to be a part of Minecraft, but I’m not convinced spending months writing an API that won’t satisfy people is the correct way to do so. There probably are better ways to do it.
The main problems we need to solve are preventing people from making money off our work (unless they have a license deal with us), and making sure mods don’t break with each game update. People obviously already CAN make mods, so the ability to make them isn’t the biggest priority.

Personally I don't use mods yet because they break with every update and not only do you have to reinstall them, but in many cases you can't even play your world until the authors update the mods for the new updates.

Grinchy

Banned
Mik2121 said:
That's how I am, at least. If the weather that we have now was just a mod before, I wouldn't have installed it. I just don't have the patience to mess with something that may not work properly and only adds something small. I love the official weather though, it feels like Minecraft.

That said, I probably would have been more inclined to try more mods out if there were an official API. After reading BooJoh's post above, sounds like that may not come though.

Jasoco

Banned
That's why the Modding API was going to be good. It would have helped prevent breaking by making sure the API's the mods can access remain available and unchanged.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
That's why the Modding API was going to be good. It would have helped prevent breaking by making sure the API's the mods can access remain available and unchanged.

Exactly.
I hope Notch doesn't leave this idea to die. Anyways, I am still having tons of fun with vanilla Minecraft and if Notch continue to add stuff every month plus something very significative every couple of months, I might play this game for long again.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Exactly.
I hope Notch doesn't leave this idea to die. Anyways, I am still having tons of fun with vanilla Minecraft and if Notch continue to add stuff every month plus something very significative every couple of months, I might play this game for long again.
Indeed. It's just that it's a pity because we could have much more content if Notch had at least two or three extra programmers...

The art in this game doesn't take much to make, and that's usually the reason why adding extra content to typical console games takes so long and so much money. But here they could add a bunch of animals in probably under a week. Just program a couple AI patterns that can be used in a bunch of animals and connect it all to the 3d models.
Or even less time to add stuff like furnitures, extra items like hats, furniture, etc.. or extra materials like marble, shale, etc...

Hell, they could just, as I said before, adopt stuff from the community.

Blizzard

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Indeed. It's just that it's a pity because we could have much more content if Notch had at least two or three extra programmers...

The art in this game doesn't take much to make, and that's usually the reason why adding extra content to typical console games takes so long and so much money. But here they could add a bunch of animals in probably under a week. Just program a couple AI patterns that can be used in a bunch of animals and connect it all to the 3d models.
Or even less time to add stuff like furnitures, extra items like hats, furniture, etc.. or extra materials like marble, shale, etc...

I believe they have been adopting stuff from the community. I seem to recall that fancy lighting came from a mod, and in the future pistons, etc. There are presumably a lot MORE things in mods, like more monsters and more items and futuristic things and powers and spells etc., but they are either not going to be adopted because Mojang doesn't want them forced on everyone, or else they may be adopted in the future but perhaps not as quickly as people want them.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:

I am wondering WHY they wouldn't hire more people. I mean, they have incredible sales right now and should have the money to hire progs and artists. The game would evolve even faster and the support would be better, therefore stimulating even more sales. (at least theorically it works).
I they try to ramp up only when the sales will start to go down, it will be harder for them before there's no garanty the game would pick up and they wouldn't know if they could pay those new people that would have arrived...

Jasoco

Banned
They've already hinted at birds, even if they didn't say it directly. I just want something up there in the sky. Aside from rain and snow.

Top Bottom