• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

onken said:
OK so I went out, punched a sheep, dug out a cave, made a workbench, made a furnace, made some charcoal(!?) made a door to keep the monsters out. Got to sunrise, went wandering about and got blown up by a cactus. Is that it, did I lose all my stuff? What do I do at night while I'm waiting for sunrise? Wool isn't very good at carving out caves. How do I make fire? Why is this game so hard?

Mik2121 suggestion is mighty excellent but you can also craft yourself a bed (3 wools on top of 3 wooden plank) and skip the night if need be. Make sure to have your bed in a well lit place and if the bed touches the corner of your wall, make sure the corner itself is at least one block deep. (or else monsters will wake you up at night)

About the difficulty, Minecraft is not a hard game but it is extreme. When you know you way around it's easy but one mistake can cost you greatly. It creates a tension while you play and this becomes part of why people are getting addicted imo.

onken

OK I'm hooked what have you done to me. There's some bastard spider right outside my door and it won't go away, I can hear it out there all day. On the plus side I was hacking away at a random wall when I fell into this big ass cave, coal and iron ore down here so happy enough spelunking for now. Lost a bunch of health though, how do I heal? And again just so I'm clear, if I die I get to keep the world/house etc. but lose what's in my inventory unless I pick it up in 5 mins game time, right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
This program is too fucking fantastic.
However, I don't seem to have a draw distance THAT great and I can't see torches and other sprites likes reeds and stuff. Is that normal??

Some aerial of my ranch:

RangerXRanch01.png

:)

don't suppose you have a schematic of that skeleton you could upload?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
onken said:
OK I'm hooked what have you done to me. There's some bastard spider right outside my door and it won't go away, I can hear it out there all day. On the plus side I was hacking away at a random wall when I fell into this big ass cave, coal and iron ore down here so happy enough spelunking for now. Lost a bunch of health though, how do I heal? And again just so I'm clear, if I die I get to keep the world/house etc. but lose what's in my inventory unless I pick it up in 5 mins game time, right?

always have two entrances/exits in case of spider/creepers hanging around one.

also during the night is valuable mining time - you'll get plenty of stone for tools (I use stone most of the time, save iron for armour), coal for torches and furnaces and iron etc.

Then build during the day. I would leave the bed for a little while until you have a decent amount of resources and want to concentrate on building.

Later on, you can work on making your immediate surroundings mob-proof (2 block high wall will stop everything except spiders - an overhang on the wall will stop them too). Light the interior will stop anything spawning inside.

Salaadin

onken said:

Yeah, your hosue will be there unless you or an enemy destorys it. Your inventory in chests will also still be there. Only thing lost is what you are carrying on you.

Healing is done with food. The quickest way is to find a herd of pigs and kill them with a sword (one stick in bottom middle with 2 cobblestone in each square above it). Theyll sometimes drop meat which you can cook and eat by equipping it and then right clicking.

There are also various food recipes that you can make to heal
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting#Food_Recipes

Lastly, its advised to never dig straight down or straight up. Always go at an angle since you never know whats above or below you. And never quickly chop a block and move forward without looking first.

centracore

Does anyone playing Minecraft on OS X have issues with crashes? I'm almost certain it's Minecraft causing them as I've never had these problems when it's not running. Basically I'll be playing Minecraft, it locks up, the entire screen goes blue and then I'm back at the OS X login screen.

Leunam

OK, so Minecraft crashes every time I mine a block. I'll go in, mine a single block, and blam, black screen. Is there anything I need to check (not running any mods, and I'm up to date) or will my current world be lost? I'd hate to lose the work I've done on my offshore rig but I guess it happens.

onken

Thanks for the help so far, I've basically constructed a mighty underground fortress already under this hill in the middle of the water, with an entrance in every direction and a big glass ceiling to watch the spiders shuffle about at night. I love this game, so satisfying just tinkering about with the bench/furnace and seeing what you can make.

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
don't suppose you have a schematic of that skeleton you could upload?

Not really :/
I did use those 3 images, counted the pixels (colors) and made deductions. I improvised the backside.

SkeletonBio.png

SkeletonOO.png

211127_202821559751853_1857811_n.jpg

redhot_

Leunam said:
OK, so Minecraft crashes every time I mine a block. I'll go in, mine a single block, and blam, black screen. Is there anything I need to check (not running any mods, and I'm up to date) or will my current world be lost? I'd hate to lose the work I've done on my offshore rig but I guess it happens.

take out your world save back it up, and reinstall it, or if you do have custom textures on you need to d/l that new texture patcher. Same thing happened to me with the texture deal...

Leunam

redhot_ said:
take out your world save back it up, and reinstall it, or if you do have custom textures on you need to d/l that new texture patcher. Same thing happened to me with the texture deal...

Thanks. I'll try this tonight and see where I get.

Toki1776 said:
That would be really nice to have.

I don't notice any markings, but yes that would be nice to have.

That map looks awesome. Wonder what happens when you hit the edge. It would be funny if you could have multiple maps or it folds out like a big state map.

Finally something else to do with paper.

Enco

Map looks sweet.

I take it there's a 'you are here' marker?

edit: I read his post about marking things. It'll completely change the online if there's a universal map where you can mark things that you've built.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
The map looks great. I hope there's a good way to label stuff and synchronize them for multiplayer.

Salaadin

His map posting kinda confuses me. What if we lose the map? Does it stop updating? Will it auto update to everything we explored the moment we pick it up?

I die a lot so theres no way Ill be able to carry one on me at all times.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
It sounds like you can have multiple copies of the same "map". Maybe they're all updated simultaneously. I think you have to be holding it in hand for it to update though.

WillyFive

Kalnos' server is still infected with game breaking lag.

I can't even build a sign that says "This is Willy105's place." :(

However, I do want to thank whoever put the bed and torches in there. They are really nice.

upandaway

Yeah I really like the maps. Great idea.

It was always really cool seeing your map using fan tools, so having it in-game and part of the game is great.

Grinchy

Banned
Willy105 said:
Kalnos' server is still infected with game breaking lag.

I can't even build a sign that says "This is Willy105's place." :(

However, I do want to thank whoever put the bed and torches in there. They are really nice.
How close are you to the spawn?

Ranger X

This completely killed my erection. What in the hell is this?

1- Center of the map = where you craft it = THE FUCK? Should have been the original spawn.

2- As you walk it will update, until it reaches the edge of map object. THE FUCK? Can't it scroll? why can't the map simply show the terrain wich have been generated so far??

So basically I will continue to need a mapper like cartographer. God damn.

Notch said:
When you craft a map, you will be able to somehow select how “zoomed in” you want the map to be. It will be centered on the location where you craft it, and it will fill in as you explore the land. If you go outside the edges of the map, it will stop updating,

And that's not all !!

Notch said:
Currently, the map will only update if you’re holding it in your hands

what? lol

Notch said:
Any changes you make to the terrain will show up on the maps, but only once someone carrying the map gets near that area

where is the fucking "what what dog in the meat grinder.gif" ??

:/

Ranger X said:
1- Center of the map = where you craft it = THE FUCK? Should have been the original spawn.

2- As you walk it will update, until it reaches the edge of map object. THE FUCK? Can't it scroll? why can't the map simply show the terrain wich have been generated so far??

I don't know, it sounds pretty cool to me - rather than having a 'magic' map that displays wherever you are at that moment you'll have to have a selection of maps for different areas. Hopefully you can make notations or draw routes on the map - it'd be useful for online play to have a bunch of maps near the spawn that show new users directions to all the landmarks.

Yeah, I like this mapping system. It's not the most convenient, but it's cool because it's more realistic. You need more maps the farther away you go. What this really needs, though, is a naming system. That way you can tell which map is which by just mousing over it.

Grinchy

Banned
Willy105 said:
Is the spawn the same for everyone?

I put mine just further down the beach, seemed like a good spot.
The spawn should be basically the same for everyone until they craft a bed and sleep in it. But I was only asking because we found out earlier that the spawn area is unbuildable. If you try to mine a block, it reappears. I thought maybe that issue was affecting you.

As far as the map goes...I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'll have to wait until I try it out but it sounds like it could be more of a hassle than it's worth.

WillyFive

Grinchy said:
The spawn should be basically the same for everyone until they craft a bed and sleep in it. But I was only asking because we found out earlier that the spawn area is unbuildable. If you try to mine a block, it reappears. I thought maybe that issue was affecting you.

Yes, that is the issue I have.

I have tried other places around the site, but the problem persists.

I guess I should try a trip further out beyond the neighborhood.

Ranger X

EskimoJoe said:
Yeah, I like this mapping system. It's not the most convenient, but it's cool because it's more realistic. You need more maps the farther away you go. What this really needs, though, is a naming system. That way you can tell which map is which by just mousing over it.

This is arguable though. When I take a world map, it's the map of the world, not only a part of. When I take the map of a city, it's the entire city. If we go with digital maps then you have everything.
Of course it's impossible to have a complete map from the get go but what would serve the gameplay the most would be a map that can scroll and shows the region that's currently loaded. You could mark stuff on it too if you want.
Right now, you'll have to put maps in different regions and you'll even have to be carefully where you actually craft it. Also, right now if you explore and then open your map later, you will have an undiscovered hole in it.

webrunner

Ranger X said:
This is arguable though. When I take a world map, it's the map of the world, not only a part of. When I take the map of a city, it's the entire city. If we go with digital maps then you have everything.
Of course it's impossible to have a complete map from the get go but what would serve the gameplay the most would be a map that can scroll and shows the region that's currently loaded. You could mark stuff on it too if you want.
Right now, you'll have to put maps in different regions and you'll even have to be carefully where you actually craft it. Also, right now if you explore and then open your map later, you will have an undiscovered hole in it.

You're not taking a map, you're making the map.

You're being tasked with the job of cartography here.

Ark

In case anyone is still interested, the MC server wont go up until either tomorrow, or some time next week. PayPal has decided to be annoying, and we've got two bankholidays (Friday & Monday) in the UK this & next week.

Ranger X

webrunner said:
You're not taking a map, you're making the map.

You're being tasked with the job of cartography here.

Indeed. I think it's a legit gameplay idea.
I wonder what happens if you find a map that is already written but in another region...
Anyways, what shocked me at first is that I thought I would have an in-game map, not that I would become a cartographer. The more minute passes, the less I am against this idea.

Kalnos

Banned
In regards to the spawn on my server. The real problem, and really the only I have had with Servercraft.co, is that they won't let you easily edit the world config file which contains the option for the spawn.

By default, their servers don't allow you to build at the spawn to prevent griefing I'm assuming (I.E. Covering the spawn in lava). If you have that block reappearing issue, and you're reasonably close to the spawn, that's the reason.

Ranger X said:
I wonder what happens if you find a map that is already written but in another region...

Oh wow, how cool would it be if you could hide some treasure somewhere on a server and then leave treasure maps for players to collect - they then would have to create their own maps and compare them to the treasure maps for any common features to find the treasure.

Ranger X

Bootaaay said:
Oh wow, how cool would it be if you could hide some treasure somewhere on a server and then leave treasure maps for players to collect - they then would have to create their own maps and compare them to the treasure maps for any common features to find the treasure.

I see there are already great ideas spawning in people's minds :)

Blizzard

Banned
Clearly, the map should make all footstep sounds stop when you're holding it and walking around. I want to be a silent cartographer.

BooJoh

I think the map system sounds great. It's not as user-friendly as an automap/minimap, but frankly it's just way more Minecraft.

The main things I would want him to add are drawing/notations, which he seems to be adding, possibly the ability to title a map and have the title in text across the top or bottom edge (this may be possible with the notations though,) and most of all I'd like to be able to hang a map on the wall like a painting.

Top Bottom