• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Wool

EskimoJoe said:
Yeah, I like this mapping system. It's not the most convenient, but it's cool because it's more realistic. You need more maps the farther away you go. What this really needs, though, is a naming system. That way you can tell which map is which by just mousing over it.

This. It's not supposed to be a GPS system, it's a map. The way Notch says it's being set up you could even make an orienteering course or treasure hunt type of thing.

If you want to map a large area and keep track of the maps I guess you could just put a chest in a small building in the area that is mapped? You're right that it's not the most convenient, but neither is using redstone, or building a portal, or most things in the game.

Zomba13

Bootaaay said:
I don't know, it sounds pretty cool to me - rather than having a 'magic' map that displays wherever you are at that moment you'll have to have a selection of maps for different areas. Hopefully you can make notations or draw routes on the map - it'd be useful for online play to have a bunch of maps near the spawn that show new users directions to all the landmarks.
Yeah, the map sounds awesome. Like a real map, it wouldn't just magically fill in new details, you'd have to go there to see the change and map the world yourself. I think it'll really make me explore even more.

Ark said:
In case anyone is still interested, the MC server wont go up until either tomorrow, or some time next week. PayPal has decided to be annoying, and we've got two bankholidays (Friday & Monday) in the UK this & next week.
Awesome. Will paypal a donation when the server is up and paypal behaves.

celebi23 said:
Holy shit. I just found out about the Portal Gun mod
My brain has broken from the awesomness of that and all that stuff you can craft.

Grinchy

Banned
Kalnos said:
In regards to the spawn on my server. The real problem, and really the only I have had with Servercraft.co, is that they won't let you easily edit the world config file which contains the option for the spawn.

I can only speak for myself, but now that we know what the issue is, I don't feel like it's even a problem anymore. Next time I am on the server I might make some signs at the spawn to let people know or something.

Outside of the reappearing blocks, the server seems to run really well for me. Killing enemies online has never been as smooth.

Grinchy

Banned
Blizzard said:
Clearly, the map should make all footstep sounds stop when you're holding it and walking around. I want to be a silent cartographer.
Hey, low forms of humor are not permitted in a Minecraft thread.

"Hey, low" sounds like Halo....and now I will go back to not trying to be funny because that never works out.

bengraven

Fun concept for a game mechanic.

But fun concepts don't make good mechanic decisions. Having it not mark the ground while in your pocket is a poor choice.

Grinchy

Banned
Found another spot on the Kalnos server with lava at ground level. I kinda wanna build a house into that mountain but hallowing it out would take some time.

RuE9q.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Map sounds stupid, agree with everything Ranger X said.

Map should be a craftable item, sure. Centre of the map should be spawn or perhaps your bed. I have no issue with that.

But there are two this it absolutely must do -
1) auto update all the time, not just when it's in your hands. I'd argue that it should auto update even if you don't have it in your inventory, or haven't even crafted it yet. Basically the game will track your movements and the map simply displays where you have been. Obviously it should only show areas where you've been (including roughly what you can see)

2) no limits. Edge of the Map? Eww. It's a game, don't make it something I won't want to use. Make it infinite, limited only by where i've been. If you want to keep it all cute and 8 bit, have it flip 'pages' when you get to the edge of the map, and have your icon move over the map, but personally I'd prefer it to scroll

I quite like the idea that it only displays what was in the world the last time you were there, encouraging you to revisit areas to refresh the map. I don't need it to show where friends as they can tell me and i'll navigate to them by landmarks etc

I'd like to be able to 'equip' it like armour rather than carry it like a pickaxe. Then when equipped it'd display in the corner of the screen like the current minimap. Then I can press a key to zoom in to view it larger (toggle large/small)

onken

I made a full suit of iron armor but it's almost worn out. Any way to repair it or do I just have to mine more ore?

Mik2121

onken said:
I made a full suit of iron armor but it's almost worn out. Any way to repair it or do I just have to mine more ore?
As far as I know, you can't repair it, gotta build a new one.

It would be cool if there was some update sometime that included a tool to repair armors (or maybe placing the armor inside the furnace with some iron/gold/diamond (new furnace with 2 slots?) and melt it together to fix it).

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
Map sounds stupid, agree with everything Ranger X said.

Map should be a craftable item, sure. Centre of the map should be spawn or perhaps your bed. I have no issue with that.

But there are two this it absolutely must do -
1) auto update all the time, not just when it's in your hands. I'd argue that it should auto update even if you don't have it in your inventory, or haven't even crafted it yet. Basically the game will track your movements and the map simply displays where you have been. Obviously it should only show areas where you've been (including roughly what you can see)

2) no limits. Edge of the Map? Eww. It's a game, don't make it something I won't want to use. Make it infinite, limited only by where i've been. If you want to keep it all cute and 8 bit, have it flip 'pages' when you get to the edge of the map, and have your icon move over the map, but personally I'd prefer it to scroll

I quite like the idea that it only displays what was in the world the last time you were there, encouraging you to revisit areas to refresh the map. I don't need it to show where friends as they can tell me and i'll navigate to them by landmarks etc

I'd like to be able to 'equip' it like armour rather than carry it like a pickaxe. Then when equipped it'd display in the corner of the screen like the current minimap. Then I can press a key to zoom in to view it larger (toggle large/small)

I can see it the way Notch probably sees it now. It's sadly not a map that we are getting. Not in the sense as you describe here and me earlier. What's implemented there is in fact a "cartographer gameplay". It's the possibility to make a map in the game, it's not a "fourth world" map that would be, in fact, in the player's realm like are used to get.

I would have like a map (for the player) but I think a cartographer gameplay in the game is also legit as an addition.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
I can see it the way Notch probably sees it now. It's sadly not a map that we are getting. Not in the sense as you describe here and me earlier. What's implemented there is in fact a "cartographer gameplay". It's the possibility to make a map in the game, it's not a "fourth world" map that would be, in fact, in the player's realm like are used to get.

I would have like a map (for the player) but I think a cartographer gameplay in the game is also legit as an addition.
Yup. I facepalmed at first, but then I started to like the idea.

They need to have it on multiplayer though. And one awesome thing would be to be able to merge maps, so you could have a couple cartographers going each his own way, and then merging it all together and placing it on a wall in the center of the town.
With that in mind, the forging place being the center of the map kinda makes sense.

But it would be neat if you could enlarge a map instead of having to make a ton of smaller ones...

Also, we need to finally decide on which server are we going to play. I like Kalnos' one, but I know someone else was going to get one up this weekend. I don't wanna spend time on a world that we will stop going to on a week.. :( And I wanna play tonight... (in a couple hours from now)

WillyFive

The Kalnos server is just impossible.

It has nothing to do with an unbuildable spot next to the spawn point. Everywhere I go, it just impossible to tear down blocks. The lag just makes them appear again.

Mik2121

Willy105 said:
The Kalnos server is just impossible.

It has nothing to do with an unbuildable spot next to the spawn point. Everywhere I go, it just impossible to tear down blocks. The lag just makes them appear again.
Really?

So weird... how far did you go from the spawn?

WillyFive

Mik2121 said:
Really?

So weird... how far did you go from the spawn?

Went way out into the desert, tried building something there, but nothing stuck.

Went back, crossed the lake to the other side, tried the same thing. I managed to make a rectangle hole in one of the islands, but it took about 10 minutes to stick.

Too little results for waiting around 10 minutes for 8 blocks to register.

Mik2121

Willy105 said:
Went way out into the desert, tried building something there, but nothing stuck.

Went back, crossed the lake to the other side, tried the same thing. I managed to make a rectangle hole in one of the islands, but it took about 10 minutes to stick.

Too little results for waiting around 10 minutes for 8 blocks to register.
Definitely. It's been working perfectly for me and a couple guys, though. Have you played in other servers? (to be sure it's not your connection or something not related to the server)

WillyFive

Mik2121 said:
Definitely. It's been working perfectly for me and a couple guys, though. Have you played in other servers? (to be sure it's not your connection or something not related to the server)

Yes, I have played other servers before. They worked perfectly.

However, since those servers were already developed (people have settled in and conquered the place), all I did over there was just to sight-see and try out the rides. This is the first time I played for real, as in mine and build stuff.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Roche178 said:
http://i.imgur.com/vibsu.gif[IMG]
For shame.[/QUOTE]
what? last time we spoke you agreed with me that there needed to be other ways for factions to access each others areas without the potential for greifing.

this is one of those ways.

Leunam

Grinchy said:
Found another spot on the Kalnos server with lava at ground level. I kinda wanna build a house into that mountain but hallowing it out would take some time.

Put on a podcast or music and go to town. I flattened and flooded a small island for my offshore rig in what seemed like no time at all.

Leunam said:
Put on a podcast or music and go to town. I flattened and flooded a small island for my offshore rig in what seemed like no time at all.

Three of us flattened half a mountain yesterday and got a nice start on a castle.

Wanted to do more work but can't log in :-(

Giard

Is there a way to configure WorldGuard to protect wooden structures from thunderbolts? That's pretty much the only thing keeping me from updating.

Giard said:
Is there a way to configure WorldGuard to protect wooden structures from thunderbolts? That's pretty much the only thing keeping me from updating.

I think Exano used some sort of third-party plugin to fix that on Civil Wars, but I didn't catch a name.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is the Civil Wars server using Whitelisting now?

It says I'm not on the list :(

Grinchy

Banned
Mik2121 said:
We need more people in the Kalnos server! Come on! Only Bootaaay and me are in there.
I know...I was on for a few hours last night and I don't remember seeing anyone log in.

I'll probably get on later tonight too. A damn creeper came out of nowhere when I hit a cave system while strip mining. It just had to come right when I was building a walkway over a huge lava pool. I had literally just made a bunch of iron picks, had my diamond sword with me, wearing my armor, ect LOL. I hate you, creepers.

Suikoguy said:
Is the Civil Wars server using Whitelisting now?

It says I'm not on the list :(

I posted about the same thing already, I was getting the white-list message then later a connection failed message. Hopefully they either add us or are just messing around with the server right now.

ckohler

By popular demand from my Justin.tv viewers, I'm going to be putting my single player world up for download tonight if anyone is interested. I have been in this world building solo-legit for six months. I think it's pretty epic. It's got giant structures, a full minecart system with four-way station, big warehouse, giant floating island, and more. Again, all built by me alone with no mods. That pyramid alone is 125x125 and made entirely out of stair blocks.

Here it is for download:

DOWNLOAD WORLD (25MB)

Here are some screenshots:

Fitz

Some very cool things you've built there ckohler, looking forward to seeing your world, the minecart station especially. I've been meaning to build one for a while but have been looking for ideas.

onken

So what are some recommended servers for this? And how does it work exactly, what's to stop people coming along and wrecking your shit?

Grinchy

Banned
onken said:
So what are some recommended servers for this? And how does it work exactly, what's to stop people coming along and wrecking your shit?
On vanilla servers with no mods, there's nothing stopping people from wrecking your shit. That's what I love about them.

@ckohler DAMN....I'm pretty blown away that you solo'd all of that without mods. I will definitely download that world when it's ready and check it out in real time.

evilgreg

Neo Member
ckohler said:
By popular demand from my Justin.tv viewers, I'm going to be putting my single player world up for download tonight if anyone is interested. I have been in this world building solo-legit for six months. I think it's pretty epic. It's got giant structures, a full minecart system with four-way station, big warehouse, giant floating island, and more. Again, all built by me alone with no mods. That pyramid alone is 125x125 and made entirely out of stair blocks.

Here it is for download:

DOWNLOAD WORLD (25MB)

Holy hell dude. This world is beautiful and inspiring. You definitely have some serious creativity and patience.

Are there any secret spots that you've hidden away for us to discover?

evilgreg

Neo Member
Ranger X said:
Yup, the whole thing is pretty cool. But I always succeed into messing up the carts and I end up walking. :p
Same here. I thought I was just retarded, but I couldn't figure out the cart system either.

strata8

ckohler said:

Here it is for download:

DOWNLOAD WORLD (25MB)

Is it possible to get another link? Mediafire is being all screwy with me today and won't give me the download.

Grinchy

Banned
NotTarts said:
Is it possible to get another link? Mediafire is being all screwy with me today and won't give me the download.

I was having the same issue.

The Kalnos server has been pretty active. I'm building a castle.

Finally finished my fortress on Kalnos' vanilla server - thank you Royal Wedding for giving me time off from work to while away in Minecraft. It started out as one hastily built cobblestone tower, but quickly turned into four towers interconnected and then a huge tower in the centre. The interior is pretty bland at the moment, so if anyone wants to help furnish it please feel free.

From the front;

2011-04-29_181859.jpg

Aerial view at night;

2011-04-29_181651.jpg

Views of the surrounding area;

2011-04-29_182454.jpg

2011-04-29_182510.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Is your's the one with green wool for the tower roofs? If so, it looks really cool. I got stranded there waiting for dawn, lol.

thanks! Yeah that's me. Man, your place is nuts. It seems like this stuff is just springing up out of nowhere. It was like the spawn was this desolate area and now all of a sudden there's a ton of shit!

edit: works fine again

Top Bottom