• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Borman said:
Any good save editor for OSX for the latest beta? Fell into the lava, want my stuff back :(

That's normal learning process for everybody. You should gather stuff again imo.
Well, I would think about it if I'd lost multiple diamond tools of course. But I would never walk around with more than one or two in the first place. :p

WillyFive

That is a fantastic tower. I wish Kalnos worked for me.

Shame this is what it looks like to me:

1772096-2011_04_28_11.57.21_super.png

1772095-2011_04_28_11.57.06_super.png

1772094-2011_04_28_11.56.26_super.png

1772093-2011_04_28_11.52.26_super.png

ckohler

evilgreg said:
Holy hell dude. This world is beautiful and inspiring. You definitely have some serious creativity and patience. Are there any secret spots that you've hidden away for us to discover?
Thanks! I found a sky exposed double dungeon over by the mountain outpost. Just head north of the giant treehouse. It's near the water's edge. Also, did you try the Russian Roulette room? Walk inside and press the button. You'll either be killed by arrows or be let back out and receive a gift. It's completely random. :)

Ranger X said:
Yup, the whole thing is pretty cool. But I always succeed into messing up the carts and I end up walking. :p
Hahaha. Really? I didn't think it's that complicated. There are spare cart despensers in the major areas. Just place the carts at the end of the track launchers and click the button to go. At the station, wait until the cart comes to a complete stop then click your destination. It'll take off automatically.

I'm planning on redoing all my carts anyway to use the powered tracks and detector tracks anyway. That's why I released this version of my world now... pre-redesign.

NotTarts said:
Is it possible to get another link? Mediafire is being all screwy with me today and won't give me the download.
Hmm, I just tested and it's working for me now. Can you try again?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, one question, after downloading the level, how do I install it into Minecraft?

Ark

ckohler said:
I'm planning on redoing all my carts anyway to use the powered tracks and detector tracks anyway. That's why I released this version of my world now... pre-redesign.

I hope you release an updated save then! You've certainly given me some more ideas on how to construct my minecart system.

Grinchy said:
It seems like this stuff is just springing up out of nowhere. It was like the spawn was this desolate area and now all of a sudden there's a ton of shit!

Is there a map of this server? It seems like a lot of stuff is spread away from the spawn and I don't want to miss anything cool :)

Willy105 said:
Shame this is what it looks like to me:

I get that from time to time, but hitting 'F' to change the view distance forces the game to reload the chunks, doesn't always work though.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah Willy, that shit happens all the time. It seems like it's gotten worse since the new update. You just have to either hit f or keep walking around and it corrects itself.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Nice! I just tried some mods today and threw some of them together to see what sticks.

There was a giant sphere mod, which basically turns everything into spheres, which looks awesome but is a bit limited as the size is always similar and it cant use villages etc. So I tried starting a spawn WITH Biosphere mod,saved, then uninstalled it again and let normal random generation fill out the rest:

2vuiiad.jpg

Even though its "artificial", its probably one of the most beautiful random sceneries I've had in a minecraft game :)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Toma said:
Nice! I just tried some mods today and threw some of them together to see what sticks.

There was a giant sphere mod, which basically turns everything into spheres, which looks awesome but is a bit limited as the size is always similar and it cant use villages etc. So I tried starting a spawn WITH Biosphere mod,saved, then uninstalled it again and let normal random generation fill out the rest:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2vuiiad.jpg[/IM G]

Even though its "artificial", its probably one of the most beautiful random sceneries I've had in a minecraft game :)[/QUOTE]

You just gave me a brilliant idea, mate. I'll do that by myself.

I'll try it on land at first, and then underwater :).

Bootaaay said:
Finally finished my fortress on Kalnos' vanilla server - thank you Royal Wedding for giving me time off from work to while away in Minecraft. It started out as one hastily built cobblestone tower, but quickly turned into four towers interconnected and then a huge tower in the centre. The interior is pretty bland at the moment, so if anyone wants to help furnish it please feel free.

snipawesomepics
Very cool, you can see my shitty house from there. I was having a look around earlier and the place is really amazing. Can't believe you built that in so little time.

Very impressed.

Ranger X

Juan29.zapata said:
Hey, one question, after downloading the level, how do I install it into Minecraft?

Put all the content in a folder that you name whatever you want and you drop it there:

(for windows)
Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

bengraven

Bootaaay said:
Finally finished my fortress on Kalnos' vanilla server - thank you Royal Wedding for giving me time off from work to while away in Minecraft. It started out as one hastily built cobblestone tower, but quickly turned into four towers interconnected and then a huge tower in the centre. The interior is pretty bland at the moment, so if anyone wants to help furnish it please feel free.

From the front

Yeeeeeah, my starter tower looks like shit compared to that.

Thanks for hurting my feelings. ;)

Grinchy

Banned
bengraven said:
Yeeeeeah, my starter tower looks like shit compared to that.

Thanks for hurting my feelings. ;)
I know...

I saved up a little over 3000 pieces of stone to build a castle that now feels tiny :lol

Borman

Ranger X said:
That's normal learning process for everybody. You should gather stuff again imo.
Well, I would think about it if I'd lost multiple diamond tools of course. But I would never walk around with more than one or two in the first place. :p

Ive been playing the game since September, I know :p Sometimes I just have had enough of stupid stuff like that hah

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger X said:
Put all the content in a folder that you name whatever you want and you drop it there:

(for windows)
Users\[you]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

Oh, thank you.

EDIT: I give up. I'm terrible at installing anything that it's not automatic, I can't freaking find the AppData folder at all.

onken

^^ cant't see it

NotTarts said:
Is it possible to get another link? Mediafire is being all screwy with me today and won't give me the download.

Yeah was doing that to me too, working now though.

Ranger X

Juan29.zapata said:
Oh, thank you.

EDIT: I give up. I'm terrible at installing anything that it's not automatic, I can't freaking find the AppData folder at all.

Oh yeah true, I know why. "Appdata" is an hidden folder. You need to set your windows explorer in order so it shows hidden files and folders.

If you are in Vista or Win7, open windows explorer, look for "organise" button up left the screen. After that you go into "folder options", display and then you check the box about displaying hidden files and folders.

Jasoco

Banned
No you don't. In Windows you can just type the path in the path bar just like in OS X to go to a folder that is hidden. Just type that path listed above into the path bar and it'll take you there. No enabling of hidden files or anything.

Grinchy

Banned
Juan29.zapata said:
Oh, thank you.

Just go to Start, type in "run" and hit enter. Now type in %appdata% and hit enter.

You should see .minecraft folder in the window that pops up(roaming folder). Hopefully this works for you.

Jasoco

Banned
Grinchy said:
Just go to Start, type in "run" and hit enter. Now type in %appdata% and hit enter.

You should see .minecraft folder in the window that pops up(roaming folder). Hopefully this works for you.
Or this. Yes this. Simple as pie.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
No you don't. In Windows you can just type the path in the path bar just like in OS X to go to a folder that is hidden. Just type that path listed above into the path bar and it'll take you there. No enabling of hidden files or anything.

Yes but he was probably searching "manually" so this way he will never miss a folder manually ever again. Run function is the quickest option but even I always forget about this. Bad habit I suppose.

Ranger X

Daaaamn, I finally found cocoa beans.
Looks like I needed a chest that has been generated after 1.5 update. This is sort of bad because I wanted to generate a very huge world and now I might wait because Notch might add stuff again later. :/

Grinchy

Banned
^Ranger, you should play on the Kalnos server.

I'm still working on my castle. I made 3 of the 4 spiral staircases in the towers and a couple other things. This is the main chamber. Work or sleep:

k1rwL.png

Mik2121

Soooo... I guess we will be staying in the Kalnos server?

Also, what theme are you guys using? I used to use the Pixeludi theme but the guy stopped working on it and it's stuck on 1.4 so on 1.5 it's kinda messed... which sucks, because the theme was so cool :(

Edit - You know what, I think I will do my own theme. I'll post it here once I get something to test...

Ark

Good news for anyone that is interested!

I just ordered the 10-slot multiplay MC & Vent server, the server is up and works fine with no lag :). I'm going to get to grips with the Clanforge thing and install the necessary mods throughout the rest of today, so hopefully she should be up and running sometime tomorrow, possibly tonight.

I still need a server name though. PonyCraft sounds pretty good to me :p

Mik2121

Ark said:
Good news for anyone that is interested!

I just ordered the 10-slot multiplay MC & Vent server, the server is up and works fine with no lag :). I'm going to get to grips with the Clanforge thing and install the necessary mods throughout the rest of today, so hopefully she should be up and running sometime tomorrow, possibly tonight.

I still need a server name though. PonyCraft sounds pretty good to me :p
NeoCraft!

Anyway, hopefully you can get it up today! I will surely jump in as soon as it's available :)

What are you going to install? Oh and.. can we join already even if there are no mods? :$

Ark

Mik2121 said:
NeoCraft!

Anyway, hopefully you can get it up today! I will surely jump in as soon as it's available :)

What are you going to install? Oh and.. can we join already even if there are no mods? :$

NeoCraft it is then!

I would let you on the server now, but I'm going to be restarting the server a fair bit, so it makes it easier for both of us :p

EDIT: I'm going to install mods like Bukkit, worldguard & worldedit.

Mik2121

Sounds awesome. Let us know when you get it up!

Hopefully we get everybody in. I think if most of the people that posts here (Ranger X, Jasoco, Grinchy, mrklaw, you, and a couple others that are not playing in other servers) joine,d we could have everybody fit in the 10-slot server without having anyone not being able to join (different time zones also helps).

Also everybody from the Kalnos' server, including Kalnos himself. I say this because his server seems to give problems to certain people...

Anyway, looking forward to the server. Hopefully we get an interesting and fun looking world.

Ranger X said:
Daaaamn, I finally found cocoa beans.
Looks like I needed a chest that has been generated after 1.5 update. This is sort of bad because I wanted to generate a very huge world and now I might wait because Notch might add stuff again later. :/

Notch should pay more attention in converting things in the world to keep them on date with last update.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
Sounds awesome. Let us know when you get it up!

Hopefully we get everybody in. I think if most of the people that posts here (Ranger X, Jasoco, Grinchy, mrklaw, you, and a couple others that are not playing in other servers) joine,d we could have everybody fit in the 10-slot server without having anyone not being able to join (different time zones also helps).

Also everybody from the Kalnos' server, including Kalnos himself. I say this because his server seems to give problems to certain people...

Anyway, looking forward to the server. Hopefully we get an interesting and fun looking world.

Can't wait! Server slots shouldn't be a problem, we can upgrade the amount of slots at any time.

I've already reset the server map 4 times, so far each time it's spawned it's always been snowy and flat :(

Mik2121

Uhm, hopefully you get an interesting world soon!.

BTW, I just started working on my own texture pack. I'll put it available for download once I get all the terrain stuff done (I wanna do the armors and items too, but that will take a while probably..). I've done the basic dirt and sand textures now, I was just testing it out. For some reason it was snowy in this desert area...

EkcIh.png

hRYXk.png

Yay or nay? Dirt a bit too dark? It looks fine without lighter stuff like the snow (which I haven't done yet, it's the default one)

That dirt texture looks pretty good, reminds me of the desert area in Link to the Past for some reason, probably because of the wavy pattern.

Does anyone have any good methods for building underwater? I'm constructing a tunnel under the ocean on Kalnos' server and it's way too time consuming. I started by building a huge trench in the water using cobblestone, but because the water doesn't drain away properly that proved pointless. Then I started to construct the tunnel underwater, but you still have to fill it in with dirt to clear the water. Now I'm building the tunnel layer by layer and using dirt to seal off the end, but it's still going to take me a while. I'm about half way done, so if anyone wants to lend a hand feel free - the entrance to the tunnel is by the papyrus farm behind my fortress.

Ranger X

Bootaaay said:
That dirt texture looks pretty good, reminds me of the desert area in Link to the Past for some reason, probably because of the wavy pattern.

Does anyone have any good methods for building underwater? I'm constructing a tunnel under the ocean on Kalnos' server and it's way too time consuming. I started by building a huge trench in the water using cobblestone, but because the water doesn't drain away properly that proved pointless. Then I started to construct the tunnel underwater, but you still have to fill it in with dirt to clear the water. Now I'm building the tunnel layer by layer and using dirt to seal off the end, but it's still going to take me a while. I'm about half way done, so if anyone wants to lend a hand feel free - the entrance to the tunnel is by the papyrus farm behind my fortress.

The best is to build underwater, seriously. Bring yourself some ladders and if you have jack-o-lanterns, bring them to. You will put some ladders from time to time on your walls for a breathing point and jack-o-lanterns for lighting up.

Kyaw

I use this texture pack: www.eldpack.com

It definitely has an 'arty' feel and that's what i like about it.

I think the creator is waiting for native 32x32 support so he can create a higher resolution pack.

Ark

Ok, I've got the weather plugin working fine (lets admins control the weather), but does anyone know if pigs are supposed to turn in to zombie things with golden swords if they're struck by lightning?

I need to know, to make sure that it's not another mod causing it.

Ark said:
Ok, I've got the weather plugin working fine (lets admins control the weather), but does anyone know if pigs are supposed to turn in to zombie things with golden swords if they're struck by lightening?

I need to know, to make sure that it's not another mod causing it.

Yeah, that's supposed to happen :)

@Ranger X - damn, I hate working under water and have no jack 'o lanterns. Oh well.

Kyaw

Ark, how is the server stuff coming along like groups, rules and general admin side of things?
I hope Bukkit isnt too different from hMod.

Ark

Kyaw said:
Ark, how is the server stuff coming along like groups, rules and general admin side of things?
I hope Bukkit isnt too different from hMod.

It's just a learning curve. I've not used hMod so I wouldn't know.

Now stop using the internet and go back to your holiday :p

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Notch should pay more attention in converting things in the world to keep them on date with last update.

Yeah but in the particular case here, he must be bound by how he coded the game. Problem is, when a chunk is generated, everything in it is. And it probably can't be adversed or revised later. What he should have done is to generate the content of a chest when you click to open it. Once opened it changes state and become some "player chest" and it never ever regen. Anyhow, right now we seem to be fucked. Everytime a new something will be to spawn in a chunk, we'll need to generate new chunks. Makes me sad because I fear someday he will add really importnat stuff like those villages and I don't want to create another world. I like mine and I sticked to it so far. :(

Mik2121 said:
Uhm, hopefully you get an interesting world soon!.

BTW, I just started working on my own texture pack. I'll put it available for download once I get all the terrain stuff done (I wanna do the armors and items too, but that will take a while probably..). I've done the basic dirt and sand textures now, I was just testing it out. For some reason it was snowy in this desert area...

EkcIh.png

hRYXk.png

Yay or nay? Dirt a bit too dark? It looks fine without lighter stuff like the snow (which I haven't done yet, it's the default one)

Nice!! It interest me if you keep it 16x16 (aka, can use without mods) and if you don't destroy the style.

Ark

Mik2121 said:
So now that everything is sorted out, can we play? :)_____

Or you still got some stuff to fix and whatnot?

There's ALOT more for me to do haha.

I've sorted the weather plugin and the Admin group. But I've got the rest of the groups & their permissions to sort out.

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
Yeah but in the particular case here, he must be bound by how he coded the game. Problem is, when a chunk is generated, everything in it is. And it probably can't be adversed or revised later. What he should have done is to generate the content of a chest when you click to open it. Once opened it changes state and become some "player chest" and it never ever regen. Anyhow, right now we seem to be fucked. Everytime a new something will be to spawn in a chunk, we'll need to generate new chunks. Makes me sad because I fear someday he will add really importnat stuff like those villages and I don't want to create another world. I like mine and I sticked to it so far. :(

Nice!! It interest me if you keep it 16x16 (aka, can use without mods) and if you don't destroy the style.
I'll keep it at 16x16 and want some classic RPG look, so you shouldn't worry :)

Ark said:
There's ALOT more for me to do haha.

I've sorted the weather plugin and the Admin group. But I've got the rest of the groups & their permissions to sort out.
Gotcha. I'll be here, waiting... =)

Top Bottom