• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Kyaw

Ark said:
It's just a learning curve. I've not used hMod so I wouldn't know.

Now stop using the internet and go back to your holiday :p

I'm waiting to go back to place of stay so i have nothing to do apart from browsing...
And its very painful to browse with 1G mobile internet on a laptop... :(

Zomba13

Ark said:
Good news for anyone that is interested!

I just ordered the 10-slot multiplay MC & Vent server, the server is up and works fine with no lag :). I'm going to get to grips with the Clanforge thing and install the necessary mods throughout the rest of today, so hopefully she should be up and running sometime tomorrow, possibly tonight.

I still need a server name though. PonyCraft sounds pretty good to me :p
Can't wait to get playing!

Ark

Zomba13 said:
Can't wait to get playing!

This is actually taking a lot longer than I expected, so I'll have to spend the week fine-tuning everything.

I'll try and get the server up and ready within the next hour or two.

Grinchy

Banned
Mik, I like the sand texture you made. Not crazy about the dirt, but we all have our preferences. I love just editing the terrain file for how I want things to look. I always stick with something pretty close to the regular look, but there are certain things I have to change.

I'll check out the Ark server at some point but I'm really liking the Kalnos server so far. Some pretty cool stuff is being built and the people are very friendly.

*edit: wow...I bought a new heatsink since I was still using the stock one on my q9300. Minecraft would send the CPU temperature up to like 80c sometimes, which is why I bought it. Before the thermal paste has even settled, minecraft now makes my CPU run at around 51c. Huge difference! Time to overclock this thing finally :p

Ark

Ok, I've just reset the world one final time, crossing my fingers that the one time I don't enter the map, we get a decent one.

The groups & permissions still aren't finished, but I'll get those done for sure later on. This stuff is confusing to say the least.

Oh, and please tell me if you have any problems. I wasn't getting any major issues other than chunks loading slower than normal.

EDIT: What a boss. Forgot to link the server IP.

Server IP (Quote to view)

There is a Vent server too, but I'll get that done tomorrow. At least I can set Vent up in 5 minutes.

Zomba13

Ark said:
Ok, I've just reset the world one final time, crossing my fingers that the one time I don't enter the map, we get a decent one.

The groups & permissions still aren't finished, but I'll get those done for sure later on. This stuff is confusing to say the least.

Oh, and please tell me if you have any problems. I wasn't getting any major issues other than chunks loading slower than normal.

EDIT: What a boss. Forgot to link the server IP.

Server IP (Quote to view)

There is a Vent server too, but I'll get that done tomorrow. At least I can set Vent up in 5 minutes.
I like the place. Lots of desert (I've always wanted to build a big desert palace/fortress)

Jasoco

Banned
Ranger X said:
Daaaamn, I finally found cocoa beans.
Looks like I needed a chest that has been generated after 1.5 update. This is sort of bad because I wanted to generate a very huge world and now I might wait because Notch might add stuff again later. :/
Same reason I abandoned my huge 100m x 1000m world with my castle and towers an quarry and everything and started over again a few updates ago when Lapis Lazuli was added. I had generated too much to be able to get everything new.

Ark

Zomba13 said:
I like the place. Lots of desert (I've always wanted to build a big desert palace/fortress)

More desert? Dammit Notch!

I need a half-decent sized island and lots of ocean. I can't start working on my harbour town without good access to the ocean and a good plot of land.

Is the server running ok for you though?

Zomba13

Ark said:
More desert? Dammit Notch!

I need a half-decent sized island and lots of ocean. I can't start working on my harbour town without good access to the ocean and a good plot of land.

Is the server running ok for you though?
Server is running great. There is lots of desert but also, on the other side by spawn, lots of grassland (from what I've seen anyway) Don't know if there is a big island but there does seem to be sea/ocean/big river/lake thing close to spawn and more land beyond that (which might be suited to what you need).

Ark

Zomba13 said:
Server is running great. There is lots of desert but also, on the other side by spawn, lots of grassland (from what I've seen anyway) Don't know if there is a big island but there does seem to be sea/ocean/big river/lake thing close to spawn and more land beyond that (which might be suited to what you need).

Great to hear!

I think I might have to improvise for my harbour town, or sneak in some MCediting when no one is online haha.

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
Yeah but in the particular case here, he must be bound by how he coded the game. Problem is, when a chunk is generated, everything in it is. And it probably can't be adversed or revised later. What he should have done is to generate the content of a chest when you click to open it. Once opened it changes state and become some "player chest" and it never ever regen. Anyhow, right now we seem to be fucked. Everytime a new something will be to spawn in a chunk, we'll need to generate new chunks. Makes me sad because I fear someday he will add really importnat stuff like those villages and I don't want to create another world. I like mine and I sticked to it so far. :(
Are you sure this is the case with chests? I'm fairly certain I've found multiple cocoa beans in dungeons quite close to where my home is built. Seems to me you might have just had a streak of bad luck with finding them. I've yet to find any records in my current world in like 4-5 different dungeons. It's always saddles, iron, and wheat.

Ark said:
Great to hear!

I think I might have to improvise for my harbour town, or sneak in some MCediting when no one is online haha.

There's quite a few sizeable mountainous islands to the south (?) of the spawn from the looks of it, not sure if that'll be suitable for your plans though. Generally the server ran well, although I noticed that creepers were disappearing when they exploded - they still did damage to the player, but didn't appear to blow up the landscape at all. I think this could be a good map as there's a lot of open ground near the spawn that could work for a well planned town.

Zomba13

Bootaaay said:
There's quite a few sizeable mountainous islands to the south (?) of the spawn from the looks of it, not sure if that'll be suitable for your plans though. Generally the server ran well, although I noticed that creepers were disappearing when they exploded - they still did damage to the player, but didn't appear to blow up the landscape at all. I think this could be a good map as there's a lot of open ground near the spawn that could work for a well planned town.

Yeah, the creepers don't seem to blow up. They hurt you but not as much as normal (at least I think so. I've survived a few). I like it this way. I don't want them messing up things but I do want monsters on.

Ark

Bootaaay said:

I think I setup the server to stop creeper explosions from damaging the environment, I'll have a look through now to make sure, I thought I changed it back to allowing block damage.

Zomba13 said:
Yeah, the creepers don't seem to blow up. They hurt you but not as much as normal (at least I think so. I've survived a few). I like it this way. I don't want them messing up things but I do want monsters on.

It helps to stop creeper-leading to grief, and it stops them ruining everything.

Shall we leave creeper environment damage off or on?

Also, lava & lightning wont start fires, the fire will just die out without doing any damage.

Zomba13

Ark said:
I think I setup the server to stop creeper explosions from damaging the environment, I'll have a look through now to make sure, I thought I changed it back to allowing block damage.

It helps to stop creeper-leading to grief, and it stops them ruining everything.

Shall we leave creeper environment damage off or on?

Also, lava & lightning wont start fires, the fire will just die out without doing any damage.
Yeah. Keep Creeper environment damage off. Same with lava and lightening. I doubt anyone would grief with creepers but I still much prefer not having to worry about them as much.

Ark

Brazil said:
Should I add your server to the OP, Ark?

Ah yes, please do :)

Zomba13 said:
Yeah. Keep Creeper environment damage off. Same with lava and lightening. I doubt anyone would grief with creepers but I still much prefer not having to worry about them as much.

Awesome. The only thing that can actually create fires that will ignite & spread is a flint & tinder. I need to work out the permissions to not let everyone create/use one though.

Mik2121

I'm playing on the server now, building a station around the spawn point. I will also leave a billboard in the entrance so we can hang a map if they become able to be placed on walls... :p

Mik2121

I've created this in the spawn location, hope you guys don't mind:

77Ry2.png

It's a train station (still need to work on the railway, I will use minecart rails for it so I'll need a lot of iron...) with a small hotel on top.

The station itself is quite simple, but once you leave from the main door you have some stairs on the left (right side as you leave the building) that take you to the second floor where I've made 3 guest rooms with light, bed, workbench and furnaces so anyone can use to stay during the nights before he/she builds a house or something.
I've also made my own suit in the building, because I'm the one who made the whole thing lol...

I still need to work on the roof so that skeletons and other fuckers don't jump to my room (I have a small balcony in my room). Hope to finish it in a couple hours.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Looks like a wild west saloon, nice.

Might try this one out. I was late to the previous servers so always felt overwhelmed and didn't build anything

Grinchy

Banned
Mik that looks awesome. I have no idea how you've built that and I haven't seen you online. *edit: nvm i guess you're talking about Ark's server -- lol and you were too quick for my edit

I'm still working on my house/castle:

Fm2vl.png

I finally built a fence around it so mobs don't wander in. Good mobs spawn and get stuck, so it has made wool collection a little easier lately.

View from the balcony:

vvvS1.png

Mik2121

Grinchy said:
Mik that looks awesome. I have no idea how you've built that and I haven't seen you online.

I'm still working on my house/castle:

http://i.imgur.com/Fm2vl.png/IMG]

I finally built a fence around it so mobs don't wander in. Good mobs spawn and get stuck, so it has made wool collection a little easier lately.

View from the balcony:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vvvS1.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Woah woah wait, I built it in the Ark server!!!! Because the Kalnos' server gives errors to some people... :(

Mik2121

Some other pics of the station:

The station from behind (still not finished):
rg2ht.png

The second floor hotel with the rooms:
uFF5Y.png

And one of the rooms (pretty small, but it's free so..):
2qLgF.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does craftbook work with 1.5? It seems to install ok but lifts etc don't seem to do anything. I keep reading about permissions and although I have the permissions plugin installed, I haven't done anything with it. There are only me and my two kids on the server, and we all have op powers, so does that mean I don't need to bother with permissions?

Ark

mrklaw said:
Does craftbook work with 1.5? It seems to install ok but lifts etc don't seem to do anything. I keep reading about permissions and although I have the permissions plugin installed, I haven't done anything with it. There are only me and my two kids on the server, and we all have op powers, so does that mean I don't need to bother with permissions?

I recall reading that it does have something to do with permissions, but I'm not sure. I'm tempted to install craftbook, but I wont even consider that until I've sorted everything else out.

@Mik: That train station is awesome, but where's it going to link to? :p

Ranger X

So, the new consensus is Ark's new server or Kalnos? I wish we'd all be in one server and build our settlements near each other sorta like a town.

I might want to join and build some stuff. I'd create a mob grinder, cobblestone generator for everyone and then I'd build my house. A gravel roads system would also be great (I do that in my single player world).

Mik2121

Ranger X said:
So, the new consensus is Ark's new server or Kalnos? I wish we'd all be in one server and build our settlements near each other sorta like a town.

I might want to join and build some stuff. I'd create a mob grinder, cobblestone generator for everyone and then I'd build my house. A gravel roads system would also be great (I do that in my single player world).
Ark's. Join us now and start building stuff!!!

Ark

Ranger X said:

Well, everyone except for me is building around the spawn, a spawn city/town is certainly in order. I will build a house there eventually. But I'm currently clearing trees & landscaping to build my harbour castle/town.

Mik2121 said:
Ark's. Join us now and start building stuff!!!

This! :D

Kyaw

I am planning on making a gladiator style arena for PvP, build an underground base and Asgard style main tower with many branching towers connected by minecart rails.

I need to mine a big plot of land all the way to the bedrock.

Orayn

The random black screen crashes in 1.5 are really bustin' my balls. I wish Notch would issue a bugfix for those...

Orayn said:
The random black screen crashes in 1.5 are really bustin' my balls. I wish Notch would issue a bugfix for those...
I was having a lot of those but I switched the render distance down from far to normal and it seemed to fix it.

LordAlu

JPBrowncoat said:
I was having a lot of those but I switched the render distance down from far to normal and it seemed to fix it.
This. I got loads but since dropping it to normal I haven't had a single crash!

Toki1776

To those that are having black screen crashes, try installing Java 64-bit (if you have a 64-bit OS). It completely solved my issues with black screen crashes, even with rendering on "far".

Ark

Can everyone that uses my MC server please post their in-game name, so I can add you all into the permissions listings.

raebodep

Toki1776 said:
To those that are having black screen crashes, try installing Java 64-bit (if you have a 64-bit OS). It completely solved my issues with black screen crashes, even with rendering on "far".

I can vouch for this. It solved the crashes I'd been getting since 1.5 too.

Foxix Von

raebodep said:
I can vouch for this. It solved the crashes I'd been getting since 1.5 too.

=/ I AM using... wait whaaaa? I thought I WAS using java 64 bit. Whoa, looks like I'm not. Do I have to uninstall 32 first or will 64 just install over it?

raebodep

Foxix said:
=/ I AM using... wait whaaaa? I thought I WAS using java 64 bit. Whoa, looks like I'm not. Do I have to uninstall 32 first or will 64 just install over it?

I didn't have to uninstall

Top Bottom