• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Is Ark's server full more often than not? Or do people have a pretty good chance to get on?

I would like to get on there and build a little bit. in game name Ninefingers81.

Grinchy

Banned
Oooohh that's the tower everyone was talking about? With the glass top on it? That looks awesome in the cartograph. I'm going to check that out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mik2121 said:
This is all I've done today:

Osaq9.png

The Town Center fountain, my new Tree House (still Work In Progress) and a very very small cabin in the hill (the one with the white wood details).

creativeSK/_nimrod, do you think we should clear those large trees from in front of your house? Would be able to see it more clearly from spawn then, think it'd look nice.

Not like there's a shortage of trees nearby :p

mcrae

so i just spent like, 10 hours in the server. made a small hilltop hut, then expanded via some walls with torches lining it, then went crazy and expanded those walls to include some nearby hills, then made a bridge connecting the hills and my hut, then scattered 300 torches all over and spent hours shaping up the earth to make it nicer. also carved out a portion of my moat as well as the river that runs through the area. now just to fill it with water, and construct more buildings. the area is NEARLY creeper-free at night :)

onken

My towers are coming on slowly but surely, connecting bridge makes it a lot easier going back and forth, though I really need a tunnel at some point.

2zyvczd.jpg

mcrae

onken said:
My towers are coming on slowly but surely, connecting bridge makes it a lot easier going back and forth, though I really need a tunnel at some point.

2zyvczd.jpg

my stuff is everything in torch light on the left side. i saw you guys talking in chat about the towers, but i must have been underground for the majority of the time you were building, a couple hours ago i randomly looked in that direction and was all "holy shit where did those come from?!" haha

Toki1776

Here's a screen of my house. Not done yet, but getting there. Love the view from the towers!

PI2v1.png

And the zombie spawner I found directly below me...

3wmKS.png

Salaadin

Ever since I started Minecraft, I never moved past stone pickaxes/shovels/etc. Is the speed/durability increase you gain from Iron worth it so much that you end up saving on sticks to make the tools as well?
My only issue is that I dont have a ton of iron to spare.

Im working on a pyramid and probably went through 50 stone shovels yesterday. There must be a better way :(

parasight

Just wanted to quickly showoff our 1 day project from yesterday:

5687482804_6cd2983928_b.jpg

5687483150_62361a8602_b.jpg

It's loosely based on these pair of buildings I pass by in Toronto. Not the best screenshots and we're still furnishing the rooms and garden. We built it here because we found a dungeon right on the surface, and then just under that was another dungeon. So we're going to turn them into Mob Traps (both spider unfortunately).

Vlad

Salaadin said:
Ever since I started Minecraft, I never moved past stone pickaxes/shovels/etc. Is the speed/durability increase you gain from Iron worth it so much that you end up saving on sticks to make the tools as well?

Im working on a pyramid and probably went through 50 stone shovels yesterday. There must be a better way :(

Honestly, when it comes to large digging projects like that, I pretty much stick only to stone tools. Iron tools dig a little faster and do last longer, but not THAT much longer, especially if you're mining materials in excessively large quantities. If you start using iron tools for your excavating you're going to find that you've burned through your iron supply very quickly.

kodt

Banned
Salaadin said:

Yes.

First of all you need Iron tools to successfully mine Diamonds, Redstone, and Gold.

Diamond tools are even better, and it is worth using your diamonds on them, they last a long time and will speed everything up.

You should be mining at a depth where you will find Iron as you mine. Even if you only find one iron deposit per iron pickaxe, you should still come out ahead. If you are just clearing layers near the top where you don't find much iron, then perhaps not. But if you are deep enough, iron tools are certainly worth it.

Salaadin

Vlad said:
Honestly, when it comes to large digging projects like that, I pretty much stick only to stone tools. Iron tools dig a little faster and do last longer, but not THAT much longer, especially if you're mining materials in excessively large quantities. If you start using iron tools for your excavating you're going to find that you've burned through your iron supply very quickly.

I might use a mix of both. I dont want to use ALL of my iron but I think having some iron tools will make it a little more bearable.

kodt said:
Yes.

First of all you need Iron tools to successfully mine Diamonds, Redstone, and Gold.

Diamond tools are even better, and it is worth using your diamonds on them, they last a long time and will speed everything up.

You should be mining at a depth where you will find Iron as you mine. Even if you only find one iron deposit per iron pickaxe, you should still come out ahead. If you are just clearing layers near the top where you don't find much iron, then perhaps not. But if you are deep enough, iron tools are certainly worth it.

I have a good amount of the stuff but I hate running out of ore mid-project and having to stop and farm. I really need to get over that.
I refuse to use /give so Im just going to have to stick it out.

The Pyramid is going to be huge. I found a spot to build it on and had exactly 105 Sandstone on me so thats what I laid out on one side and decided to go with. I dont know how tall that makes it but its pretty wide. And then Ill need more to do the inside. I cringe when I think about it.
I might even go gold hunting and make some gold stuff for the inside, make it more egyptian-like.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
parasight said:
Just wanted to quickly showoff our 1 day project from yesterday:

It's loosely based on these pair of buildings I pass by in Toronto. Not the best screenshots and we're still furnishing the rooms and garden. We built it here because we found a dungeon right on the surface, and then just under that was another dungeon. So we're going to turn them into Mob Traps (both spider unfortunately).

is that glass? How do you guys get so many materials so quickly? It takes me forever to get enough coal to smelt glass - or do you use charcoal?

As for iron tools, if I'm doing a deep mine, I'll always carry one iron pick just for diamond/redstone etc. But I won't use it for mining. Its not fast enough or durable enough compared to stone to bother. The first three diamond get saved for a diamond pick though - those things last for ages and are very fast.

Ranger X

Salaadin said:
The Pyramid is going to be huge. I found a spot to build it on and had exactly 105 Sandstone on me so thats what I laid out on one side and decided to go with. I dont know how tall that makes it but its pretty wide. And then Ill need more to do the inside. I cringe when I think about it.
I might even go gold hunting and make some gold stuff for the inside, make it more egyptian-like.

Your pyramid is going to be just as tall as how long is one of it's side.
Also, don't use diamond tools. THAT is a waste of time and ressource (even if diamond is otherwise useless).
I personally use iron tools whenever I can. The increase in speed is notable and to the contrary of most people, I must say Iron is pretty easy to find unless you really don't want to mine or go spelunking.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
seems you're right about speed. maybe it just seems not to last as long because it mines quicker.

from the wiki - mining a stone block:

Iron pickaxe takes 0.6 seconds, and will mine 132 blocks before wearing out
Iron pickaxe takes 0.4 seconds, and will mine 251 blocks before wearing out.

so approximately twice as durable and you can mine three blocks in the time it'd take stone to mine two

So for speed its worth it, but I still don't think its durable enough considering you have an abundance of cobble when mining.

Grinchy

Banned
I really only make iron tools when I know I'm going to do a lot of mining. Typically, I'll use them a lot while strip mining since I will very likely be able to find more iron than I'm using up.

I always have a diamond sword, since they seem to last a really long time and they kill many things in 1 hit.

webrunner

mrklaw said:
seems you're right about speed. maybe it just seems not to last as long because it mines quicker.

from the wiki - mining a stone block:

Iron pickaxe takes 0.6 seconds, and will mine 132 blocks before wearing out
Iron pickaxe takes 0.4 seconds, and will mine 251 blocks before wearing out.

so approximately twice as durable and you can mine three blocks in the time it'd take stone to mine two

So for speed its worth it, but I still don't think its durable enough considering you have an abundance of cobble when mining.

Interestingly enough:
Stone: 79.2 seconds of mining
Iron: 100.4 seconds of mining.

So you even get more mining time!

Toki1776

Here's some screens of my mob grinder:

The spawning floors look like this, I have seven of them stacked above this one.

Q6Z3i.png

Mobs wander into the streams, and are then pushed into the drowning trap:

72tVl.png

And their items drop into the collection area here:

nM3qn.png

Easy to build, and great output!

Jasoco

Banned
Ark said:
I must be the only one who uses nothing other than diamond tools then :p
Pickaxe and shovel I use diamond. Axe and hoe and sword I use stone just because I rarely use them and they're easy to make.

parasight

mrklaw said:
is that glass? How do you guys get so many materials so quickly? It takes me forever to get enough coal to smelt glass - or do you use charcoal?

As for iron tools, if I'm doing a deep mine, I'll always carry one iron pick just for diamond/redstone etc. But I won't use it for mining. Its not fast enough or durable enough compared to stone to bother. The first three diamond get saved for a diamond pick though - those things last for ages and are very fast.
Yes it is all glass. There's 3 of us who worked on it. 2 at a time. Charcoal was quicker to gather and we had tons of sand nearby. We used 8 furnaces at a time.

Yes I think it is the one by the 401.

Ranger X

Toki1776 said:
Here's some screens of my mob grinder:

The spawning floors look like this, I have seven of them stacked above this one.

Q6Z3i.png

Mobs wander into the streams, and are then pushed into the drowning trap:

72tVl.png

And their items drop into the collection area here:

nM3qn.png

Easy to build, and great output!

Indeed very similar to the one I am building on Ark's server!

Yaweee

Ark said:
Oh, I forgot to mention; we hit 14/15 players today! I upgrade to 15 and you guys just keep on coming LOL. Trying to get the lagg issues sorted out too.

If you aren't a Citizen rank yet, please post here or PM me and I'll promote you.

I'm chickenstrip, and I have absolutely no idea where my little hovel is on the map. I guess I need more of an above ground structure rather than building in to the hillside.

Does Exano have a "final" image of his old server before he replaced it with Civil War?

Speaking of texture packs may I suggest DokuCraft? Has 3 variations, all of which are pretty amazing.

Here's the outside of my hobbit hole on Ark's server (with the High variation):

2011-05-04_15.52.51.png

Still getting started but man this server is awesome.

hitsugi

The doku light pack has been a favorite of mine. Although I do occasionally switch back to the defaults. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks and it almost seems like a waste to not view things as intended so soon

Ark

BWX77.png

Built the farms on my castle today, and finished the main chunk of my bridge, just need to add the rest of the supports, the sides and the actual minecarts :)

By the way RangerX, I had to build my mini-train station on one of your roads because I had no where else to go, it was only a road that lead nowhere. Hope you don't mind :p

Ranger X

Ark said:
By the way RangerX, I had to build my mini-train station on one of your roads because I had no where else to go, it was only a road that lead nowhere. Hope you don't mind :p

Is there really something I can do? :p

Xun said:
Extremely n00by question, but how do I install a texture pack on a Mac?
1. Download the zip file for the texture pack.

2. Go to *Your Home Folder*/Library/Application Support/minecraft/texturepacks.

3. Copy the zip file to there.

4. Open the game & select it from there. =)

Xun

Treefingers said:
1. Download the zip file for the texture pack.

2. Go to *Your Home Folder*/Library/Application Support/minecraft/texturepacks.

3. Copy the zip file to there.

4. Open the game & select it from there. =)
I've already tried that but I'm unable to select any texture packs.

Ark

xhYIy.jpg

I've given up trying to label stuff, half of the stuff on that map I don't even know how it belongs to! I can't believe after only 4 days the spawn island is almost full, I just hope there's enough room for my tower!

Yaweee

Thank you for the constant updates. I can see where I am on it now based on my view of the three towers in the bottom. I'm just a little bit to the left, laying a big perimeter wall now.

BooJoh

parasight said:
Isn't that Wind Waker pack a very close ripoff of Frenden's Cartoon Pack? The wool textures are the exact same.
From what I understand the Wind Waker pack uses some of Frenden's tiles, and Frenden is aware of that. I don't know if he has a problem with it since he recently said not to create derivative works off of his.

I've been using Frenden's for a while now, but I'm not terribly happy with the new direction he's taking. I still like the pack, but it's changed so much that it's basically a different pack now. I've been tempted to make my own pack but just haven't set aside the time to do so. I wouldn't exactly call myself a "good" artist but I can arrive at a good end result with a lot of time invested.

Top Bottom