• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Finally finished my latest project - like all my stuff I had no idea what it was going to be when I started, but now I've turned it into the NeoCraft Guest House with two fully furnished guest rooms that anyone should feel free to use if they find themselves stranded at night or are new to the server and without a place to hide during the night :)

Here's a shot from the front - it's not far from the spawn, near Ark's minecart station;

2011-05-06_021724.png

And a shot from the back of the 2nd floor;

2011-05-06_021913.png

The lower floor interior;

2011-05-06_021825.png

And the view from the balcony;

2011-05-06_021852.png

That's the last time I'm building in sandstone though, it's way too wasteful.

Grinchy

Banned
Awesome job bootay...and just in time. It seems like the server is down (for me at least).

As far as the nights go, I don't mind nights. But I don't really like the thought of people new to the server having to hide somewhere every time it cycles to night either. I wonder if there are alternatives. Something like if 30% of the server is in a bed, it automatically skips the night. Just a random % but you get the idea.

Vlad

KillerAJD said:
Here's a few more pictures from the Civil Wars (site is down atm) server. We need more people! Come check it out ;)

Seriously, people, you're missing out. It's especially interesting for those who are getting a little burned out on MC in general. The whole faction aspect (and the fact that you never know if you're going to get mobbed by other players in the wilderness) really puts a different spin on the game. While there are some big fancy structures on the server, most of them are pretty basic, as most people are building more for function than to make some huge pretty thing.

mcrae

Vlad said:
Seriously, people, you're missing out. It's especially interesting for those who are getting a little burned out on MC in general. The whole faction aspect (and the fact that you never know if you're going to get mobbed by other players in the wilderness) really puts a different spin on the game. While there are some big fancy structures on the server, most of them are pretty basic, as most people are building more for function than to make some huge pretty thing.

im intrigued by the announcement on that forum, but i cant really see anywhere to read about exactly what the server is... about. factions? attacked by players? where is the explanation?

Toki1776

mrklaw said:
I like worldedit, but it can be tricky to see what you've selected to play with. So MCedit for big changes, and worldedit for smaller ones.

You can actually get a client-side mod which highlights your selection, really useful for playing around with WorldEdit.

bengraven

Vlad said:

I was playing the fuck out of it, but I had to take some time off. I miss the community building of our last server and Ark's is doing that fairly well.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Server down...end of stream...

Noooooo!

Ark said Multiplay would be upgrading their servers at some point over the next couple of days so we should expect some downtime, but the server will automatically restart when it's complete.

DangerousDave said:
At least you are in the desert. I'm in the cliffs, in grass.

Yeah, I can see how building with sandstone in that situation must be tricky, lol. Still, I had to demolish a pretty sizeable mountain to get all that sand.

filipe

So my mob building needed a lot of cobble stone, but even after it was done, I felt I needed to keep mining until I had a big space. This is completely underground (a long ways down), hand mined by me.

It'll either become another mob trap (different concept), or an underground farm.

EDIT: Images broke, will reupload.

Mirk

So I see ark's server is down. Thought i'd give the civilwars server a go... and I can't get past the first question. lol

So I've played Minecraft single players for many months now, but I never played multiplayer and I have no idea what it's about. Are there like GAF servers where there's certain rules or certain objectives or something?

Ark

Guys...I said yesterday that the server would go down for some a little while in the coming days because Multiplay is upgrading the hardware on all of its servers.

It's working now though.

Grinchy

Banned
MrGame&Watch said:
So I've played Minecraft single players for many months now, but I never played multiplayer and I have no idea what it's about. Are there like GAF servers where there's certain rules or certain objectives or something?
You should check it out. It's just like playing single player, but online with other people. So you can like join up and go caving, or build structures together, whatever. You should see how much stuff has been built on the neocraft server.

Ark

Grinchy said:
You should check it out. It's just like playing single player, but online with other people. So you can like join up and go caving, or build structures together, whatever. You should see how much stuff has been built on the neocraft server.

And it's not even been a week yet! We're on a roll.

Ranger X

Ark said:
Guys...I said yesterday that the server would go down for some a little while in the coming days because Multiplay is upgrading the hardware on all of its servers.

It's working now though.

hmmm, I get "connection lost, end of stream" after it stays a minute or two on "loggin in..."

So I noticed a new option for Advanced OpenGL in MC. I enabled it and I noticed the fog in the distance looked really good and maybe some shadows looked better. But it also slowed how fast the world loads (playing on a server).

Any idea what exactly this option does? I Googled it and saw many mixed comments on it. Everything from "It helps my FPS." to "Makes the game unplayable on my PC."...

Grinchy

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
So I noticed a new option for Advanced OpenGL in MC. I enabled it and I noticed the fog in the distance looked really good and maybe some shadows looked better. But it also slowed how fast the world loads (playing on a server).

Any idea what exactly this option does? I Googled it and saw many mixed comments on it. Everything from "It helps my FPS." to "Makes the game unplayable on my PC."...
I have noticed major chunks of world missing as a result of enabling this. I don't have a great GPU though, so I just assumed it had to do with that.

I haven't been able to log onto Ark's server either.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Server still seems to be down. Oh well, maybe it will be up after tonight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Grinchy said:
Awesome job bootay...and just in time. It seems like the server is down (for me at least).

As far as the nights go, I don't mind nights. But I don't really like the thought of people new to the server having to hide somewhere every time it cycles to night either. I wonder if there are alternatives. Something like if 30% of the server is in a bed, it automatically skips the night. Just a random % but you get the idea.

isn't that part of it though? Those first few nights, blocked up in a dirt hole, hiding from creepers?

and really on an SMP server, there is plenty of light and you can just hide out in someone else's house.

Yes sometimes its annoying you can't go outside - so then mob-proof your work area or be careful. You might as well suggest turning the mobs off - takes some of the game away IMO. Its a vanilla server, not a creative server.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bootaaay said:
That's the last time I'm building in sandstone though, it's way too wasteful.

why? I thought you can just mine it with pickaxes like normal stone? If you mean you waste tons of sand getting down to the sandstone, you can always make sandstone out of those sand blocks, save wasting them (2x2 sand = sandstone).

mrklaw said:
why? I thought you can just mine it with pickaxes like normal stone? If you mean you waste tons of sand getting down to the sandstone, you can always make sandstone out of those sand blocks, save wasting them (2x2 sand = sandstone).

Yeah, it can be mined easily, but the amount of sand/sandstone needed to build a structure of that size is pretty huge - hell, I had to demolish a sizeable mountain to build that place, which is why it took so long. You need 4 x 64 sand to make 64 sandstone and 3 x sandstone to make 1 sandstone slab.

mrklaw said:
Yes sometimes its annoying you can't go outside - so then mob-proof your work area or be careful. You might as well suggest turning the mobs off - takes some of the game away IMO. Its a vanilla server, not a creative server.

I agree, it feels a bit cheating skipping night, even if it is helpful sometimes - personally I just go down into my mine during nightfall, and back to whatever I'm working on above ground during the day.

Grinchy

Banned
Don't get me wrong. I've only played on vanilla servers. This one has the most mods I've ever used. I've started from scratch and played through the night a million times. Maybe that's why I'm not opposed to sleeping through it sometimes.

fresquito

BTW, is there any bug regarding mob spawning? I have a house, is well lit, specially the bedroom, but sometimes, when I get in the bed, before I get to sleep, a mob attacks me and then I have to fight him. My guess is that they spawn in the roof and then somehow pour through the it. Anybody had this happening to him?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fresquito said:
BTW, is there any bug regarding mob spawning? I have a house, is well lit, specially the bedroom, but sometimes, when I get in the bed, before I get to sleep, a mob attacks me and then I have to fight him. My guess is that they spawn in the roof and then somehow pour through the it. Anybody had this happening to him?

they do seem to spawn more aggressively now. suggestion is they didn't spawn 'properly' before and this is how its supposed to be. So any borderline cases you might have avoided before, might catch you out.

So they might spawn in a dark enough area of your house and wander around and hide behind your bed waiting for you :)

Or I think there were some issues with diagonal block connections not properly 'sealing' a wall?

then the classic 'mob spawning while you're sleeping if your bed is next to an external wall' but you said you hadn't gone to sleep yet.

fresquito

mrklaw said:
they do seem to spawn more aggressively now. suggestion is they didn't spawn 'properly' before and this is how its supposed to be. So any borderline cases you might have avoided before, might catch you out.

So they might spawn in a dark enough area of your house and wander around and hide behind your bed waiting for you :)

Or I think there were some issues with diagonal block connections not properly 'sealing' a wall?

then the classic 'mob spawning while you're sleeping if your bed is next to an external wall' but you said you hadn't gone to sleep yet.
The house is well lit, and they can't spawn inside it, I'm sure, because it's not a certain thing: sometimes they do, but sometimes they don't. My guess is they spawn in the roof and drop down, I don't know how. The roof is made of stairs, so maybe that's the problem. However, the house is well sealed.

And I probably didn't make myself clear enough, but I DO get in the bed, and when the screen is fading out, then a mob attacks me and I find myself in my bedroom with a mob in front of me. The first time it was very scary (it was totally unexpected!).

I think I will lit the roof top and see if that works.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bed has space all around it? if its touching a wall mobs can teleport and appear next to you. No idea why, its a stupid bug that should have been fixed ages ago.

Zomba13

Yeah, you need to make sure the bed isn't touching an external wall, or else you'll get hit in the face by zombies or what have you.

Foxix Von

Zomba13 said:
Yeah, you need to make sure the bed isn't touching an external wall, or else you'll get hit in the face by zombies or what have you.

This... I did not know.

Thanks for the heads up guys O_O

Pancakes

Zomba13 said:

I think zombies will still wake you up if you're too close to a wall. I believe you need to be 2-3 blocks away from a spawnable area to stop it from happening completely.

i get it all the time in single player even when the bed is not touching any walls. one bed i had to abandon despite it being in the centre of a sealed room. might've been glass, or angles, or something, dunno. edit: probably what pankaks said.

in the end i built a room with just the bed in it, two squares from any wall and none of those walls connecting to outside. with doors sealing it and torches surrounding the bed. that seemed to work. for now.

Grinchy said:
Man, I was just checking your place out last night. I like how it's coming along so far. And I like that your picture shows a nice angle of the back of my house with the deck and pool haha.

promise not to spy when you're sunbathing, i'm just a fan of the bbq ;)

fresquito

Wow, didn't know about it. When my server is up again, I will try litting the roof, because I don't want to have a bed in the middle of the room. If it doesn't work, I'll have to give in and put the damn bed in the middle :-/

Top Bottom