• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

mcrae

Ark said:
xhYIy.jpg

I've given up trying to label stuff, half of the stuff on that map I don't even know how it belongs to! I can't believe after only 4 days the spawn island is almost full, I just hope there's enough room for my tower!

is there a way to export in much higher resolution? that way we could add labels

Grinchy

Banned
Wow this server is being built so fast! There's so much good stuff on it now that it makes my house feels like an uninspired box with a roof.

I am feeling the urge to plan out something ridiculous.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
Wow this server is being built so fast! There's so much good stuff on it now that it makes my house feels like an uninspired box with a roof.

I am feeling the urge to plan out something ridiculous.

I think your house is really cool. A server needs as much nice settlements than crazy structures imo. I feel attached to what I build personally. Whatever it is. I don't have this need of making an impression (sorry if it's not your case either, that's the tone I got from your message).

Grinchy

Banned
Thanks Ranger/Wyz, I can see what you're saying. One of the things I like about the immediate spawn area is that most of the structures are kind of on the realistic side. But I do love building crazy monstrosities too.

I actually planned out a full 3D, HUGE Homer Simpson head, but I didn't feel like collecting so much yellow wool.

Ranger X

The server really is getting amazing. You guys should try the view from this "interrogation box" house, it's really well placed. On one side you can Grunchy and McLaw's places on the mountain in the distance. It's really freaking cool.

Right I am going to bed but I tonight I finished the mob grinder's death pool and collecting room. You can access the collecting room from under the fountain near the spawn. I suggest you peak over the fence of the mob grinder itself if you want to see the death pool before I'll cover it up.

Ark said:
xhYIy.jpg

I've given up trying to label stuff, half of the stuff on that map I don't even know how it belongs to! I can't believe after only 4 days the spawn island is almost full, I just hope there's enough room for my tower!

That sand castle cube that is near RangerX house is mine. Right now is very awful, but I'll make it nicer and bigger this night, when I'll get more sand.

DangerousDave said:
That sand castle cube that is near RangerX house is mine. Right now is very awful, but I'll make it nicer and bigger this night, when I'll get more sand.

just noticed it's grown a bit :) you're right near me, i'm the tiered gardens thingy to the east of you (north of spawn)

cbox

haha I went into the huge tower with the waterflowing down, and died inside. So much loot gone :(

my giant box near the spawn is complete, apologies for building it so close!!

ConvenientBox said:
my giant box near the spawn is complete, apologies for building it so close!!

I can see that from my tower, looks great lit up at night. Also, I don't think anyone will mind you built it there, I'd personally like to see more buildings around the spawn and in the town as everyone's building huge projects quite a long way from the spawn and there's still a lot of space for smaller buildings in the centre.

bengraven

My castle is the one shaped like the Xbox1 (totally unintentional) at the very tip of the L-shaped highway coming out from Ark's house.

Edit: Picture
Mr2cB.jpg

I've also claimed the sand out in the water as Railts Reef.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bengraven said:
My castle is the one shaped like the Xbox1 (totally unintentional) at the very tip of the L-shaped highway coming out from Ark's house.

Edit: Picture
Mr2cB.jpg

I've also claimed the sand out in the water as Railts Reef.

more like a 3D0

bengraven

mrklaw said:
more like a 3D0

Ha, that's true as well.

Maybe if I rounded the top a bit and put some grey wool into a cartridge shape I can call it an N64.

I mean, the layers inside are very old school anyway.

Ark

Kyaw said:
Actually, i'm gonna build a pirate ship with black sails after i've done this massive tower.

Really? God dammit. Guess I wont bother going through with that idea then.

Tremis

This man does his research.
aechris said:
Inspired by the fantastic ship Ark built, I put this together today (sorry for the shit angles).

8Z6Bi.jpg

LOL, nice. I didn't look at who posted this, and thought... why does that shitty building look so familiar. Nice job!

edit: that sounds weird to others. I made the shitty building, not the ship.

what i'm dubbing the crappy gardens of babylon is coming along. looks kind of like a bean-sprouter from the outside but inside it's quite nice, trees and cows and waterfalls. i've tried to make different mini-biomes on each level so it's the regular trees on 1, the grey ones on 2 and a beach up top with diving board. need to find some cactus to put up there too.

before i go for the night here is the view from my top level looking towards spawn:

mcgaf_spawn_view_shruni75d.png

filipe

So I was getting really bored with Minecraft and hadn't played in a few months (I'd occasionally open MC, then close it right away). Even servers were boring for me.

Then, I discovered Mob traps!

Just mining? Gets boring.
Building? Gets boring too.
Mining + building + Mob traps = "That's gold Jerry, gold!"

My original Mob trap was week and required me to be out in the open to rope in the mobs. At most I'd get a bone, a few feathers and some arrows.

6bx0q.jpg

AdCv9.png

nf0JL.png

It's basically become my pig trap. I don't need to be around, the pigs will just walk in and fall. Always good to have some extra meat.

I decided to make a building a little ways away that basically takes the same idea, but has the water trap coming from 4 directions. It's only 2 floors high thus far, but the pay off has been great.

3RDDe.jpg

onZW8.png

Giard

Is there any way to move stuff you've already built using some kind of mod or utility?
I just finished building something on my server, but realized its way too close to something else. I don't have the patience to demolish and rebuild it entirely...

Qwomo

You can achieve that with pretty much any map editor, check the minecraft forums or google search for one. Two that spring to mind are Omen and MCEdit, but I don't know which is the more up-to-date program, nor even which is better.

Giard

Qwomo said:
You can achieve that with pretty much any map editor, check the minecraft forums or google search for one. Two that spring to mind are Omen and MCEdit, but I don't know which is the more up-to-date program, nor even which is better.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check those out.

fresquito

Treefingers said:
Speaking of texture packs may I suggest DokuCraft? Has 3 variations, all of which are pretty amazing.

Here's the outside of my hobbit hole on Ark's server (with the High variation):

http://f.cl.ly/items/172m0F0N2a3J33083x3U/2011-05-04_15.52.51.png

Still getting started but man this server is awesome.
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I always liked Deku, but it was too dark to use it. It totally changed the mood of the game. With the light version it's different. I'm now using and loving it!

Grinchy

Banned
DangerousDave said:
I was checking it out last night. BTW I stole one of your porkchops because I was low on health and didn't bring any with me. You can see my house from yours (in the opposite direction of Onk's statue) if you ever need anything.

Mr_Appleby said:
what i'm dubbing the crappy gardens of babylon is coming along. looks kind of like a bean-sprouter from the outside but inside it's quite nice, trees and cows and waterfalls. i've tried to make different mini-biomes on each level so it's the regular trees on 1, the grey ones on 2 and a beach up top with diving board. need to find some cactus to put up there too.

Man, I was just checking your place out last night. I like how it's coming along so far. And I like that your picture shows a nice angle of the back of my house with the deck and pool haha.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Toki1776 said:
You can even do it while on the server, with WorldEdit, if you have bukkit installed.

I like worldedit, but it can be tricky to see what you've selected to play with. So MCedit for big changes, and worldedit for smaller ones.

KillerAJD

Here's a few more pictures from the Civil Wars server. We need more people! Come check it out ;)

A nice sunrise in the Outlands

Sunset inside of my mansion

Outside of my mansion

Ditto

Our new cathedral in AoF...err, Wolf Peak

Ditto

The game can be quite beautiful at times. It's almost worth not having names show up above players when installing the mip-map patch, just because it fixes a lot of ugliness that shows up in screen shots.

Ranger X

Are much of you using and editor/mod on the server right now? (NeoCraft)
World Edit is really too cool but would remove the impressiveness of a structure I would build with it. I'm even touchy with spawning materials really.
Do you think the server would need some rule about such things? Just throwing the question out there...

Ranger X said:
World Edit is really too cool but would remove the impressiveness of a structure I would build with it. I'm even touchy with spawning materials really.
Do you think the server would need some rule about such things? Just throwing the question out there...

I don't think anyone's been using editors on the server, other than Ark who just built his boat in SP and brought it over to the server I think. Personally I think we should keep it as close to vanilla as possible and only spawn stuff that's not attainable at the moment like nether rock or tree leaves for shrubs.

Ark

Ranger X said:

Only admins can use worldedit and only admins can spawn stuff. I've only been spawning items like leaves, or occasionally if I run out of cobble with only 6 blocks left to fill. Everything I've build is legit.

Bootaaay said:
I don't think anyone's been using editors on the server, other than Ark who just built his boat in SP and brought it over to the server I think. Personally I think we should keep it as close to vanilla as possible and only spawn stuff that's not attainable at the moment like nether rock or tree leaves for shrubs.

I only used worldedit to drain the water and fill it back up. I was logging in and out all of the time from my SP world to the server to build the boat exactly as it was. Took me 7 damned hours! Haha.

Grinchy

Banned
I was uncomfortable with the fact that creepers couldn't damage property but I'm really coming around on that. It takes away a lot of the threat while building, and it's nice knowing that people can't accidentally destroy other peoples' stuff. I'm not even used to being able to sethome and warp, but I'm starting to appreciate that too.

BTW does anyone else not hear the explosions from creepers on Neocraft? They just disappear in front of me and take a couple hearts of health away. I only hear their sizzle.

Ark

Grinchy said:
I was uncomfortable with the fact that creepers couldn't damage property but I'm really coming around on that. It takes away a lot of the threat while building, and it's nice knowing that people can't accidentally destroy other peoples' stuff. I'm not even used to being able to sethome and warp, but I'm starting to appreciate that too.

BTW does anyone else not hear the explosions from creepers on Neocraft? They just disappear in front of me and take a couple hearts of health away. I only hear their sizzle.

I think that's part of the creeper explosion protection.

Mik2121

Been playing for way too many hours.

Ranger X, you gotta check out my minecart slide on my Tree House!

Also, I've been working on my hill cabin, and now it's quite large and it's connected to everybody else's!.

Kyaw

Mik2121 said:
Been playing for way too many hours.

Ranger X, you gotta check out my minecart slide on my Tree House!

Also, I've been working on my hill cabin, and now it's quite large and it's connected to everybody else's!.

Even me? D:

Ranger X

Ark said:
Only admins can use worldedit and only admins can spawn stuff. I've only been spawning items like leaves, or occasionally if I run out of cobble with only 6 blocks left to fill. Everything I've build is legit.

Nice!
I am sharing Bootaaaaaay opinion on the matter.
Since we are in the questions, can a mod change time? Not being able to skip the night most of the time when I am logged in and when everybody seems to want it ends up annoying.

Grinchy

Banned
Kyaw said:
Even me? D:
Man, I checked out your area yesterday or the day before. You have one crazy ass mine going on there! I like the outdoor walled-in area too.

I'm also really impressed by nimrod and creative's...thing. I don't know what to call it lol. But they have a very subtly huge settlement going on with an enormous glass ceiling.

Kyaw

.nimrod said:
you need to be one of the cool guys to get into "the network" :p

pfffft i'm cool enough to get in this petty 'network' :p

@ Grinchy, go check out my place again, you will see something new. :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
Nice!
I am sharing Bootaaaaaay opinion on the matter.
Since we are in the questions, can a mod change time? Not being able to skip the night most of the time when I am logged in and when everybody seems to want it ends up annoying.

do you want to change time, or stop people changing the time? Sure admin can do that. In theory they can apply very granular permissions to different groups so they might be able to give time permissions to some others.

But I quite like the day/night cycle. Early on when people are just getting settled its ok to skip a few, but the night gives you time to smelt stuff, or mine, or tidy up the inside of your house. I guess it can get frustrating if you have a big outdoor project but thats part of it.

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
But I quite like the day/night cycle. Early on when people are just getting settled its ok to skip a few, but the night gives you time to smelt stuff, or mine, or tidy up the inside of your house. I guess it can get frustrating if you have a big outdoor project but thats part of it.

We still mostly are building stuff. Skipping the night stays pertinent. If you do something inside a house, it's not important if it's night or day. The only difference between night and day after all is monsters outside. If people needs mobs outside, we should ask to not skip the night. Anyhow, having some more mods that can skip the night would be good. This is playing vanilla anyways since beds do skip night. Just a work around for their current horrible design.
I also think that if people need mod loot, they can find monsters underground 24/7 + they will also be able to collect stuff in mob grinders. Seeing it like this, night is nothing else than an annoyance.

Top Bottom