• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mik2121

mcrae said:
reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad the thread befre posting
Oh wow, absolutely my bad. I had this thread open on a tab from yesterday and I forgot to press F5, so I didn't read any of this.

Hopefully the server gets back up soon.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Mik2121 said:
Oh wow, absolutely my bad. I had this thread open on a tab from yesterday and I forgot to press F5, so I didn't read any of this.

Hopefully the server gets back up soon.

Silly Mik

Ranger X

ArtistDude88 said:
So I noticed a new option for Advanced OpenGL in MC. I enabled it and I noticed the fog in the distance looked really good and maybe some shadows looked better. But it also slowed how fast the world loads (playing on a server).

Any idea what exactly this option does? I Googled it and saw many mixed comments on it. Everything from "It helps my FPS." to "Makes the game unplayable on my PC."...

The Open GL option is for putting graphic occlusion on/off.
When turned on, this will make so the game doesn't display the visual that aren't in the view of the camera, therefore gaining speed. The performance gain increased the draw distance a little indeed but it doesn't change a thing for lighting.

Grinchy said:
I have noticed major chunks of world missing as a result of enabling this. I don't have a great GPU though, so I just assumed it had to do with that.
I haven't been able to log onto Ark's server either.

it's not your GPU, there are occlusion bugs happening fairly often. Depending your position, the game is not deducing properly what you're supposed to see and not see resulting in chunck of ground disappearing.

Bootaaay said:
You need 4 x 64 sand to make 64 sandstone and 3 x sandstone to make 1 sandstone slab.

I agree, it feels a bit cheating skipping night, even if it is helpful sometimes - personally I just go down into my mine during nightfall, and back to whatever I'm working on above ground during the day.

3 sandstones lined up doesn't give 3 slabs?? With wood and cobble it does give 3 slabs, I don't understand why sandstone has been made different. :/

Oh and don't feel bad about night skipping, Notch made the bed for that therefore it's not cheating.

fresquito said:
BTW, is there any bug regarding mob spawning? I have a house, is well lit, specially the bedroom, but sometimes, when I get in the bed, before I get to sleep, a mob attacks me and then I have to fight him. My guess is that they spawn in the roof and then somehow pour through the it. Anybody had this happening to him?

It's possible a monster spun because your bed is adjacent to a wall that is, in turn, adjacent to an area where monsters can spawn. Another reason this happens is when your room is having a bad corner. Blocks placed diagonally leaves a little hole (not visually but the spawning blob of the game must be passing through)

I really need to go adventuring and see everyone's creations on ark's server. Been spending too much time building my own. Cool to come out of your mine or off your project and see neat stuff going up near you/in the distance though.

Just finished my reverse pyramid last night and starting an experimental sand megalith.

Salaadin

elrechazao said:
Just finished my reverse pyramid last night and starting an experimental sand megalith.

Mind posting pics of your reverse pyramid?

I have about 12 levels of my 105x105 pyramid done. This is taking forever but each level gets easier and easier as there are less blocks to fill in. Its starting to really look like a pyramid now, im so excited to finish it.
Its right on the ocean though so I still need to fill in the bottom but Ill save that for last.

Question about squid:
I found a spawn of them right beneath my pyramid which is right on the ocean. If I fill that in and get rid of all that water, will the spawn move to the closest area with water? Can they spawn anywhere that water exists? I dont want to get rid of them.

Ranger X

Salaadin said:
Question about squid:
I found a spawn of them right beneath my pyramid which is right on the ocean. If I fill that in and get rid of all that water, will the spawn move to the closest area with water? Can they spawn anywhere that water exists? I dont want to get rid of them.

They can spawn as soon as there 2 blocks deep of water.
However, be aware that they never respawn.

atre324

Ranger X said:
They can spawn as soon as there 2 blocks deep of water.
However, be aware that they never respawn.

Does that mean you can effectively farm black dye by filling in all oceans/lakes in a 144 block radius except for a small 2 deep pool? I really can't stand squid farming by swimming around looking for them lol

kodt

Banned
Ranger X said:
No. Their spawner is created once when the chunk of map is generated. If you create a pond, nothing will spawn in it.

Hmm, so you cannot easily make a squid farm then?

Maybe you could create a whirlpool using reeds that would suck them in?

atre324

Ranger X said:
No. Their spawner is created once when the chunk of map is generated. If you create a pond, nothing will spawn in it.

what if you use an existing pond and then fill in all the other water in the vicinity? As long as their original spawn is unaffected won't they keep coming back in the same spot?

I guess I don't really understand the spawn rules, I used to have a bay next to my base where squid would respawn pretty regularly...

tmaynard

What is the general consensus on servers? Host your own or buy server space?

I have an extra laptop that I could run as a server, but I don't know how the uptime or performance would be on it. Plus, it seems like it could be a chore to monitor/maintain.

Does anyone pay for Minecraft server space? Pros/Cons?

Ark

tmaynard said:
Does anyone pay for Minecraft server space? Pros/Cons?

I'm running the NeoCraft server at the moment.

Pros:

Server hosting is elsewhere & almost 100% uptime
Don't have to upgrade your own hardware to support more players

Cons:

Costs money
Some server hosts have browser control panels that can be complicated to get your head around.

-----

Has NeoCraft been down for the whole day? I've just restarted the server now, so it's up as of this post.

strata8

Ranger X said:
I'm guessing they can respawn, but it's impossible to make a pond that is two source blocks deep. Even with all the different tricks you can do, there's only ever one layer of water source blocks.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Pankaks said:

You know, I've played MC for months now, but single player only. I've never not once even logged into a multiplayer server yet. I've got a free night tonight, no girlfriend, no plans, just me and time. Maybe I'll log into Ark's server and see what this is all about.

Is it as simple as logging in and playing, or do I need to apply for a login or something first?

Ark

Mengy said:
Is it as simple as logging in and playing, or do I need to apply for a login or something first?

Just login and play :)

Bootaaay said:
Yep, hasn't been working since early this morning for me.

It must have been the server hardware upgrade, it should be back to 100% now.

tmaynard

Ark said:
I'm running the NeoCraft server at the moment.

Pros:

Server hosting is elsewhere & almost 100% uptime
Don't have to upgrade your own hardware to support more players

Cons:

Costs money
Some server hosts have browser control panels that can be complicated to get your head around.

What company/site are you using to host your server?

I'm going to jump on your server this evening to see what it's like. Haven't played much SMP yet!

Ark

tmaynard said:
What company/site are you using to host your server?

I'm going to jump on your server this evening to see what it's like. Haven't played much SMP yet!

I'm using Multiplay to host my 15-player Minecraft server.

The performance is great, the only issue we've had so far is an unexpected amount of lagg all the time, which I'm trying to get fixed with Multiplay support.

Ranger X

NotTarts said:
I'm guessing they can respawn, but it's impossible to make a pond that is two source blocks deep. Even with all the different tricks you can do, there's only ever one layer of water source blocks.

Nah, they don't respawn, I've tested this alot. If you clear them, they will NEVER go back as far as I am concern. 100% answer would only come from Notch's mouth though. Also, it's possible to make a 2 block deep pond. :p

atre324 said:
what if you use an existing pond and then fill in all the other water in the vicinity? As long as their original spawn is unaffected won't they keep coming back in the same spot?

I guess I don't really understand the spawn rules, I used to have a bay next to my base where squid would respawn pretty regularly...

This is interesting but what do you mean? Are you sure it wasn't squids swimming for somewhere else? (cause they move quite alot after all). And when you killed them, were you leaving one or two alive maybe? Because I tested alot in order to farm them and without any success. When you kill em all, they never come back. I don't remember if they repopulate if you leave one alive though. I'll have to re-test that. I have however very surprised by your comment there, they seem impossible to farm.

mclaren777 said:
I just watched a review of Minecraft (link below) and I'm starting to finally understand the appeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ti0QmS71s

Is it possible to merely look at other peoples' created work without having to make anything for yourself? For instance, will I need weapons/armor to simply survive?

I think most servers leave monsters on, so if you were wandering about at night, you'd want them just in case.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I want to be able to play online but I work most nights and I seldom have the time. I want to be building with you guys, but I can't... :(

Anyway, started a new world and I can really say that this is my favorite yet. It's basicly just small islands. I started on the beach on one island, it felt kind of like I had washed ashore there. I went and explored and it has some habitable space where I've built two houses. One of brick and one of wood so that I have a backup in case the big bad wolf comes around.

The thing that makes this island so great is that it has a cave naturally underneath it that's quite big actually and I spent 2 trips down there to explore it fully. I've been having a great time and now that it's explored and well-lit I'll try to make some rails under there since the tunnels are already mines out and build a fast-travel system for the island connecting two docks. Just too bad I don't play online and can share this with anyone. :(

bengraven

mclaren777 said:
I just watched a review of Minecraft (link below) and I'm starting to finally understand the appeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ti0QmS71s

Is it possible to merely look at other peoples' created work without having to make anything for yourself? For instance, will I need weapons/armor to simply survive?

Just remember to get into a well-lit building at night and you'll be okay.

That alone sounds fun to me: go exploring a new world, with no impact on it, but hiding from monsters at night. If I wasn't already playing Minecraft, that could hook me...

...being a tourist.

guest1321

Hey so I just made a fantasy factory so to speak. I kinda just went with it and 8 hours later I still don't know what I want to put in it. GAF got any ideas?

Screen%20shot%202011-05-06%20at%2011.28.29%20AM.png

Screen%20shot%202011-05-06%20at%2011.28.37%20AM.png

Screen%20shot%202011-05-06%20at%2011.29.08%20AM.png

kinoki said:
I want to be able to play online but I work most nights and I seldom have the time. I want to be building with you guys, but I can't... :(

Anyway, started a new world and I can really say that this is my favorite yet. It's basicly just small islands. I started on the beach on one island, it felt kind of like I had washed ashore there. I went and explored and it has some habitable space where I've built two houses. One of brick and one of wood so that I have a backup in case the big bad wolf comes around.

The thing that makes this island so great is that it has a cave naturally underneath it that's quite big actually and I spent 2 trips down there to explore it fully. I've been having a great time and now that it's explored and well-lit I'll try to make some rails under there since the tunnels are already mines out and build a fast-travel system for the island connecting two docks. Just too bad I don't play online and can share this with anyone. :(
Well hopefully Notch gets the SSP & SMP fusion done soon so we can pop in and out of other people's worlds. =) That's the one thing I'm looking forward to most.

Grinchy

Banned
elrechazao said:
I really need to go adventuring and see everyone's creations on ark's server. Been spending too much time building my own. Cool to come out of your mine or off your project and see neat stuff going up near you/in the distance though.

I like doing that too.

It's kinda nice on Ark's server, how you can wander off as far as you want, and just type /home to teleport back to your house when you're done. No worrying about wandering off and getting lost or having to trek all the way back.

Ark

Grinchy said:
I like doing that too.

It's kinda nice on Ark's server, how you can wander off as far as you want, and just type /home to teleport back to your house when you're done. No worrying about wandering off and getting lost or having to trek all the way back.

The /home and /warp features are probably my favourite features in any mod, ever.

The server really does just keep growing and growing, I can barely keep up with everything. Some spectacular stuff being built guys!

For me; I want to try and finish my castle by Sunday evening. The F1 this weekend means I lose ~6 hours, but all I've got to build is a cathedral, town hall/tavern, barracks & houses.

---

Also, I've got an idea for a community project/competition/event in a week or two, so stay tuned ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
squids swim downwards, and once they've moved down, they won't swim back up. So you can kind of make a squid grinder by manipulating the levels of the sea bed, culminating in a low point where they'll eventually gather.

Salaadin said:
Mind posting pics of your reverse pyramid?

I have about 12 levels of my 105x105 pyramid done. This is taking forever but each level gets easier and easier as there are less blocks to fill in. Its starting to really look like a pyramid now, im so excited to finish it.
Its right on the ocean though so I still need to fill in the bottom but Ill save that for last.

Question about squid:
Not too amazing, only 32/32, but dammit if that wasn't a lot of digging :D
pyramid.jpg

GavinGT

Banned
Dumb idea or dumbest idea? - I just started playing Minecraft for the first time. I claimed a 3 chunk by 2 chunk of land that was mostly mountain. I then decided I was going to destroy every brick on my land, from the tip of the mountain down to the bedrock, before I finally build my epic amusement park. I've been at it for three days now, and I've just recently finished destroying the mountain and am now digging just below sea level.

I realize now that all the worthwhile minerals are below sea level, so I should've just started with a flat piece of land. But then I wouldn't have like 300 stacks of cobblestone!

Jasoco

Banned
elrechazao said:
Not too amazing, only 32/32, but dammit if that wasn't a lot of digging :D
pyramid.jpg
I like the tower in the background. I started building one of those in my old world but only got the frame done before I got bored of it. I wanted it to look like the Tower of Babel, but it didn't work out. Did you build yours from the top down too? Because I wanted mine to be as tall as it could be from the very top, but the only way to calculate it easy is to start from the top and wind downwards. I did it in the ocean and fell off soooo many times.

GavinGT said:
Dumb idea or dumbest idea? - I just started playing Minecraft for the first time. I claimed a 3 chunk by 2 chunk of land that was mostly mountain. I then decided I was going to destroy every brick on my land, from the tip of the mountain down to the bedrock, before I finally build my epic amusement park. I've been at it for three days now, and I've just recently finished destroying the mountain and am now digging just below sea level.

I realize now that all the worthwhile minerals are below sea level, so I should've just started with a flat piece of land. But then I wouldn't have like 300 stacks of cobblestone!
Exactly. In my old world I had at one point 20,000 blocks of Cobblestone from digging a 20x20 quarry from the surface to the base of the world. I built a warehouse next to it just to house all the stone and my portal.

Jasoco said:
I like the tower in the background. I started building one of those in my old world but only got the frame done before I got bored of it. I wanted it to look like the Tower of Babel, but it didn't work out. Did you build yours from the top down too? Because I wanted mine to be as tall as it could be from the very top, but the only way to calculate it easy is to start from the top and wind downwards. I did it in the ocean and fell off soooo many times.

Exactly. In my old world I had at one point 20,000 blocks of Cobblestone from digging a 20x20 quarry from the surface to the base of the world. I built a warehouse next to it just to house all the stone and my portal.
It's sand, in a spiral (squared off of course) pattern, if that makes sense. I am building it from the top down, but out of sand, so i can stand and drop blocks off, which makes it easier. It's much bigger now and getting bigger :D

Jasoco

Banned
Im more of a "Build things that are functional" person. I make sure to put roads everywhere and make access points. Mine was a tower with a staircase two blocks wide. And a railing.

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
I'm quite sure you're mistaken.

Here is what my waterfall looked like when I found it.
2011-02-28_005006.png

Here's what it looks like after I did some landscaping. Note that it does not connect to the ocean at all.
2011-04-01_072406.png

And here's what I found randomly one day in my pond. They absolutely couldn't have come from the ocean, the only way they could have gotten into my pond is if they spawned there, and most of my pond is 1 block deep.
2011-04-05_225841.png

Ark

How is the server holding up now? Still getting lag, is the server staying up?

Couldn't really get on tonight, was watching the MLP finale with Pony GAF, haha.

Ark said:
How is the server holding up now? Still getting lag, is the server staying up?

Couldn't really get on tonight, was watching the MLP finale with Pony GAF, haha.

Hey ark, been playing on your server last few days, wondering if I could get the permissions that would enable me to use the lock chest mod.

Ark

Rabbit Lord said:
Hey ark, been playing on your server last few days, wondering if I could get the permissions that would enable me to use the lock chest mod.

You'll need to tell me your Minecraft name first ;)

Mengy

SMP is much more fun than I thought it would be. After logging on to NeoCraft I spent the good first couple of hours just exploring everyone else's creations. There is some very creative stuff there.

Question though, I tried putting a sign on a chest of mine (per that lockette message) but I get a permission denied error. Am I doing it wrong, or is it my peasant status?

Ark

Mengy said:
SMP is much more fun than I thought it would be. After logging on to NeoCraft I spent the good first couple of hours just exploring everyone else's creations. There is some very creative stuff there.

Question though, I tried putting a sign on a chest of mine (per that lockette message) but I get a permission denied error. Am I doing it wrong, or is it my peasant status?

Once again, I'll need your Minecraft name to promote you.

Ark

Maddness said:
any server spots still open?

Plenty of space, just hop on and play whenever you like.

We've got well over 25+ people signed up to the server, but AFAIK we haven't actually hit 15/15 yet, the most I've seen is 14/15.

I think I'm going to start my cathedral tomorrow.

Mengy

Ark said:
Once again, I'll need your Minecraft name to promote you.

Cool, my Minecraft name is Mengy. Yeah, real original, LOL.

Top Bottom