• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Toki1776

Good news, all (86 of) you NeoCrafters out there! We have a new map for you to check out, one that makes it a bit easier to find your (and everyone else's) creations. Enjoy!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22083707/neocraft/map.html

Things to know:
If you click on the house at spawn, you can see the total stats of the world.
If you click on a player, you can see their heath, and a bed will show you whose it is.
Also note that I used the terrain.png from my customized Painterly Pack. If you like it, go check it out at http://painterlypack.net/. If not.... Sorry about that.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how many people have visited this world, and the wonderful community we have there, too. Keep it up, guys!

Kyaw

Toki1776 said:
Good news, all (86 of) you NeoCrafters out there! We have a new map for you to check out, one that makes it a bit easier to find your (and everyone else's) creations. Enjoy!

Things to know:
If you click on a player, you can see their heath, and a bed will show you whose it is.
Also note that I used the terrain.png from my customized Painterly Pack. If you like it, go check it out at http://painterlypack.net/. If not.... Sorry about that.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how many people have visited this world, and the wonderful community we have there, too. Keep it up, guys!

How do you do this sort of thing? I would like to know. :3

Grinchy

Banned
Wow Toki that is awesome. I've never seen that kind of map overview before.

Can't wait to get some studying out of the way...

Ark

Grinchy said:
Wow Toki that is awesome. I've never seen that kind of map overview before.

Can't wait to get some studying out of the way...

Minecraft is what is currently stopping me from studying (and my exams are in less than 2 weeks).

That map is awesome Toki, some people have really built miles away from the spawn.

Ranger X

Toki1776 said:

Things to know:

Wierd that some bed at the spawn is considered "my bed" when I actually use one in my house. Anyhow, this map is awesome, I will definetely use it.

Grinchy

Banned
Ark said:
Minecraft is what is currently stopping me from studying (and my exams are in less than 2 weeks).
lol...

I hate to admit it, but Minecraft has made me get a B on an exam when I could have gotten an A. I don't really understand what it is about this game. Even MMOs like DCUO haven't really gotten me to forget my priorities in life. Yet, a good Minecraft server comes along makes me momentarily forget that I want to have a successful future hahaha.

Xun

Ark said:

That map is awesome Toki, some people have really built miles away from the spawn.
I've barely opened Minecraft recently. Thankfully.

I have 6 weeks left at uni, I must get my short film made!

DurielBlack said:
Please, if you are going to make gigantic structures out of stone, don't be lazy, smelt some cobble into smooth stone.
I like cobble castles better than smooth stone. Last thing anyone should do in minecraft is tell other people how or what to build imo.

Ranger X

kennah said:
Holy shit clay is rare. 5574 Clay blocks verus over 85,000 Diamond. (ACcording to the stats for the server.)

At least, it never spawn anywhere else than on sand chores. Personally I'm better at finding clay than diamond really.
Speaking of my brick house... I'm like 9 bricks from completing it. I hope i'll be able to find some clay soon!

Grinchy

Banned
elrechazao said:
I like cobble castles better than smooth stone. Last thing anyone should do in minecraft is tell other people how or what to build imo.
I used to like stone better for castles until I built a really big one. It just ends up looking kind of flat and plain. And that's after all the effort of smelting it all! I like stone for other structures, but I think castles look better in cobble now too.

i do wish there was some way to make/spread mossy cobble. it looks so nice spotted in amongst regular cobble, but i'll never find enough to build anything decent with it. on the last mp server i played on if you ever used it you'd come back a few hours later and somebody would've taken it.

Finished my spawn house (mostly) :D

2011-05-08_20.58.56.png

2011-05-08_20.24.29.png

Toki1776

For those who are wondering what I used for that map:
http://triangularpixels.net/games/tectonicus/

It takes a little bit of trial and error to get a decent render that doesn't take too much space, but if space isn't an issue, it could even be of a higher quality and have a deeper zoom.
This is the code I used for the map of Neocraft:
Code:
java -jar C:\~\Tectonicus\Tectonicus_v1.36.jar useCache=true cacheDir=C:\~\Tectonicus\Neocraftmapcache closestZoomSize=40 imageFormat=gif numZoomLevels=6 cameraElevation=60 numSamples=1 numDownsampleThreads=2 signs=special force64BitNatives=true texturePack="C:\~\.minecraft\texturepacks\Painterly V 7.0.zip" minecraftJar=C:\~\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar worldDir="C:\~\NeoCraft\world"  outputDir=C:\~\neocraft

(filepaths shortened)
pause
As for the map of Neocraft... Is the angle alright? I could have it so it's closer to a 45° angle, or so it's even more directly above... Thoughts?

Another thing, it is possible to label things with signs that have ~ or - at the beginning and end, though those won't show up until I do a new render, with a new backup.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I disappeared into Minecraft this weekend. I built a new castle and my first powered rail system as well as digging two pits to the bottom of the world.
OvyET.png

bxATL.png

fdwmC.png

I now have four big chests full of cobblestone.

bengraven

Toki1776 said:

Things to know:

Ha, I must have been putting up my lights when you made this map.

Holy shit is it awesome, btw. Makes the whole thing look like Ultima.

I love how there's three people (including myself) on the server with TF2 skins, and somehow, we're all on RED team. :)

Also, I should get some pics up soon, but I'm carving a nice little home into the side of the cliff near Pankaks' big castle.

thought i'd build a scale replica of the parthenon on Neocraft. yeah that was a good idea..

doesn't quite fit on the hill so a little landscaping is in order.. flatten one side of hill, raise the other and extend out about 4~5 blocks into what is currently ocean. gives me something to do for the next week though! building out of cobble for now, intend to replace that with white wool. but for the scale i've chosen that's 2,176 blocks of wool just for the floor. here sheepy sheepy sheepy..

strata8

Would anyone with a Tectonicus render be able to try out a tool for me? It's a program that uses HDmake to convert Tectonicus renders from the Google Maps format to the infinitely nicer Seadragon DZI viewer. Windows only, though.

EDIT: Check a couple of posts down.

Just drag-and-drop the appropriate 'Zoom#' folder. Try not to give it a zoom folder that's too large - the highest I've tried is a 1.6GB render and that gobbled up ~20GB of disk cache when it was converting it.

Here's an example if you want to see what it's like. It actually ended up being smaller than the original render - 350MB vs 1GB.

Toki1776

NotTarts said:
Would anyone with a Tectonicus render be able to try out a tool for me? It's a program that uses HDmake to convert Tectonicus renders from the Google Maps format to the infinitely nicer Seadragon DZI viewer. Windows only, though.

I will check it out this afternoon!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mr_Appleby said:
thought i'd build a scale replica of the parthenon on Neocraft. yeah that was a good idea..

doesn't quite fit on the hill so a little landscaping is in order.. flatten one side of hill, raise the other and extend out about 4~5 blocks into what is currently ocean. gives me something to do for the next week though! building out of cobble for now, intend to replace that with white wool. but for the scale i've chosen that's 2,176 blocks of wool just for the floor. here sheepy sheepy sheepy..

smooth stone would be simpler and still suit the theme well. wool might be too bright?

Wow... this whole thing is incredible.

I really want to venture into this world, but how much time will I lose and perhaps waste in there if I do?

Incredible that there is so many buildings and places in the world, yet it is only a very small amount of the total map.

I can't wait to see where this is in a few years time (if people continue to play). Will the entire place have evolved into any massive buildings or a big city?

Ranger X

ColonialRaptor said:
Wow... this whole thing is incredible.

I really want to venture into this world, but how much time will I lose and perhaps waste in there if I do?

Incredible that there is so many buildings and places in the world, yet it is only a very small amount of the total map.

I can't wait to see where this is in a few years time (if people continue to play). Will the entire place have evolved into any massive buildings or a big city?

Well, we will NEVER take over the whole map. A minecraft world is at least 6 times the surface of the Earth in size...

I imagine that having beds save as spawning points only encourages communities to expand more. It makes it so much easier to expand rather than having to walk from the static spawn over and over again. I know it was a large discouragement factor for myself.

Vlad

Ark said:
But we can try!

I imagine that if we were to combine all the various GAFLands that have sprung up over the last year, that'd be a pretty massive thing. Not "8 times the size of earth" big, but still extremely impressive.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Mik2121 said:
CD94J.jpg

A new kickass tower being made by Mengy (dunno his GAF nickname). Really cool work right here.

Heh, you must have caught me while I was topping it off, because I built the top two tiers back to back. Now that the structure is done, I've got a lot of finishing and detailing to do. I think I am going to basically turn my tower into one large water fountain. Place one water source out of a statue or something up at the very top, and design the rest of the tower so that it splits the water fall into several streams by the time it reaches bottom. Then make a few ponds down in the tree garden that flow out of the base of my tower at ground level and into a moat that encircles the foundation. I'm sure it will be harder than it sounds....

I also need to go on a sheep and red flower hunting trip, and get my mine down to bedrock so that I can start some real mining. Hopefully I hit a cave or two on the way down.

Grinchy

Banned
Can't wait to get out of my responsibilities for the day so I can get back to working on the hospital. I got a 166/170 on my recent Chemistry exam, with a class average of 113, so Minecraft hasn't ruined my life yet!

Ark

Grinchy said:
Can't wait to get out of my responsibilities for the day so I can get back to working on the hospital. I got a 166/170 on my recent Chemistry exam, with a class average of 113, so Minecraft hasn't ruined my life yet!

Hospital? Whaaaa?!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Grinchy said:
haha i haven't started whoring out the pictures of it yet since it's not done

but you can see it from the spawn. Actually it's right by my house.

You can't miss it, it has a large red cross on the the side of the walls. :)

I checked out your hospital earlier, great work Grinchy! Must've taken a lot of wool.

My giant tunnel through a mountain is done now, it's just beyond Ark's mine cart station if anyone wants to check it out - I'm currently building a castle on top of either end, then will link them with a sky-bridge.

Grinchy said:
haha i haven't started whoring out the pictures of it yet since it's not done

but you can see it from the spawn. Actually it's right by my house.
Just found it, looks awesome from the distance & inside.

guest1321

@Grinchy that hospital looks awesome. If you want any help with it let me know, I'm sort of out of projects that I'm willing to jump in on atm and would be down to help out.

@Ark what is purpose of that picture? Just showing you how to properly round structures of different widths?

I'm running out of ideas on what to make. :\

I like redstone gizmos, but it seems once you make a combination lock door, there's not much else to make (unless you're technical minded and can make calculators and crap).

Ark

minecraftscreensnapz00fugb.png

Finished my lighthouse! You can be sure I'm going to use that design when I create my own version of Rapture.

Ark

NotTarts said:
You can make a sphere using that diagram; just start at width 1 and work your way up.

What about creating domes? I'm gunna need to make a dome in about 2-3 weeks..

guest1321

ark, you could just use the diagram of the circles and just start at the bottom with whatever width you want, and then just downsize it every 1 or so

either that or do a half circle from your chart going up in to the sky. and have one running perpendicular that intersects it at the middle of the first arc/semi-circle. That would give you a tent pole like structure and from which you could base your structure

Top Bottom